40+ Club

Options

Replies

• JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I have given up tea, sodas, starbucks, etc. for water and occassionally a drink of wine helps me stay sleep. I stopped drinking wine for a while thinking it caused bloating. I do recall that a glass of wine was fine.

Hi Sunny, I'm new here, but definately belong in the 40+ Club. Just saw this in a health magazine I get. "Pair wine with some red grapes for anthocyanins, and aged goat cheese for a dose of dairy. Why wine? Researchers say people who drink a little wine every day have the smallest bellies, even when compared with those who don’t drink at all." Of course, I haven't tried this. I'm on the wagon until Memorial Day to help instill some good eating habits. And who can eat only a little goat cheese? Yum!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's nice to see Jdhinaz and Sunny joining our group. Welcome to both of you!! Yesterday was a good but killer day for me. I ate well, although I think that I should up my cals on those big exercise days...but sometimes I am not really that hungry especially when it is hot outside. Alf, I was only thinking out loud about the SB diet. We do use some of the recipes as a healthy meal from time to time, but the way I work out, I need much more carb.

I had a short core strength workout at noon yesterday. After work I went for a long bike ride. 2 miles from home I got a flat tire. So I had to fix that in someone's yard. The CO2 inflator did not work right, so I wound up pushing the bike home. But...I checked my HRM and in 2 hrs I burned 1200+ cals! Biking gives me my aerobic fix, because I really dislike the treadmill and elliptical at the gym.

Alf, please pass the message on to your family in the ARMY that there are many like me who are THANKFUL for those who protect our freedom. I don't take this for granted!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Has anyone tried the 30 day shred? I just ordered it, it was inexpensive so I figured what the heck.
    Also when it comes to eating clean, are you supposed to give up red meat? So many BBQ's lately. For the most part I stay under my calorie intake, I need to stay ontop of that but I was just curious on if you would lose more weight eating chicken and fish rather than a steak. Or does it just matter that you are under on your calories

Tron, I've done 30 day shred. It is a good workout. The first time I did it was in Sep 08, every other day for 30 days. It helped me reach my weight goal then. I did not do it every day as recommended because even though you are lifting light weights I believe you need to give your muscles a day of rest. 20 mins was not enough for me so I was doing two levels at a time. I was burning mega calories doing that. I would do levels 1 and 2 one day, then rest, then do levels 2 and 3, rest, and so on...I had started a thread back then and some of the ladies started doing two levels at a time when they felt they were ready for the challenge. Commit to it and you will see results. My sister in law got it for Christmas and when I asked her the other day how she likes it she has not used it yet :noway: She will never lose weight that way :noway:

A warm welcome to the new members!!!! :drinker: :drinker: Sunny, good for you for giving up sodas, etc. And speaking about water, Chalene says that drinking a lot of water with your meal slows down digestion and metabolism. What do you guys think or know about this? I drink water all day long especially with my meals. I can down 2-4 cups of water with my meal. So far today I have drank 120oz of water. I have always drank a lot of water compared to others.

Have a great evening!!! :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Alf, I am still a FIRM believer in the "magical" qualities of water. I've never heard of NOT drinking a lot of water of water with meals. For me, it really helps to get the food broken down and the nutrients going in the right places. Plus, water is a far better choice than soft drinks. If drinking water is working for you, I would not change. 120 oz? You sure are getting your running in for the day!!! When I drink a LOT of water, I "run" every 30 minutes!! :laugh:

By the way, I found another site that you can map out your walking and gives you the mileage to 1/100 of a mile. Go to: www.mapmywalk.com.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Sing, you crack me up!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I do go to the bathroom regularly but I am proud to say I am not dehydrated!!! :laugh:

I checked out the site you suggested, mapmyride, it is really cool. But they also have mapmyrun.com so I will be using that one instead. Getting ready for a nice 6mile plus run after my son leaves to school. I ate a little bit of oatmeal and drinking a cup of coffee, hopefully that will give me enough energy :tongue:

Have a wonderful day everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Stiring?, Duffy? where are you????
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Hey ALF - I've been avoiding MFP because this restricted activity is driving me crazy. I will check-in tommorrow with goals for next week though because I have ever intention of starting slow with some light weights my post-op appointment with surgeon will be May 11 or 18th. She has to review my spinal XRay and make sure the fusion is going well before she will clear me for heavy weights. She did not sound optimistic about push-ups though. I definitely won't be weighing myself for awhile though because I've been living on popsicles, pudding and vanilla shakes :blushing:

Can't wait to try a run - I've been watching runners go by my house all week and am aching to get back out. I may hit the trails for a softer surface to start with.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, just popping in to say that this website is truly helpful. I'm no longer stuck! Yay. Apparently, I wasn't eating enough calories or something.

So happy to see the scale moving downward!

Hope everyone is having a fantabulous day! :drinker:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options

mkwood, I have the Polar F4. I think it is the least expensive. I paid about $65 for it but it was at the military store (AAFES). It works great for me. I cannot workout without it!!!

Alf, thanks much! I'll swing by our PX this weekend and see if they carry it. Nice to know I'm not the only military-associated wife - my hubby's been retired for almost 9 years and works civil service on Ft Riley :happy: :happy: . Having lived having lived here for 17+ years, I can honestly say I wouldn't be real upset if the army decided they needed to move him somewhere else!:laugh: :laugh: I'd love to go back to Germany, this time without small children:bigsmile:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,816 Member
    Options

I'm here. Just took a little break from posting at MFP after a somewhat unfortunate encounter with another poster (not one in this group) over the weekend. I don't like being called 'nuts'.....even though I am! :bigsmile: But I'm over that now.

mkwood10, my husband is active duty AF (he's sitting at 25 years in right now), so there are a few of us military-associated spouses around! I like it too! I actually ordered my Polar F4 from the AAFES site because I couldn't find one in our BX. It came with free shipping, so that's an option if you can't find one at your PX.

I've had a great week working out and eating. I'm really fine-tuning my diet right now, and I'm doing cardio workouts like I haven't done in 10 years. The other night I was cleaning out my closet (I know...what was I thinking?!? :tongue: ) and came across my 'fat' jeans. Okay, these were jeans I wore the entire time we lived in Alaska. Well, just for kicks, I decided to try them on. I pulled them up....and they fell right to the floor. :noway: I mean, I literally could not hold them up with any part of my body. It was comical....and it really illustrated to me more than anything else how much I've changed my body.

cardigirl, congrats on breaking through your plateau!

duffy, happy to hear you are doing well. I SO understand your restlessness. Just keep taking care of yourself, though.

Hope this finds everybody well.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I got my new pedometer set up. This is what it is showing:

12,000 steps
    431 calories burned
    I walked almost 4 and 1/2 miles

This was just what I did while at work. You would think that I am active enough. I have a very physically challenging job.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    singfree...I am going to check out mapmywalk.
  • alf1163
    Options
    DUFFY!!!!! ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) :flowerforyou:

I had a great run this morning!!!! :drinker: :drinker: I ran 4.63 miles in 45 minutes, is that good? The total miles this morning were 6.21m, I walked 10 minutes to warm up and 10 mins to cool down. I felt soooooo good when I finished and for the entire day!!!! :drinker: :drinker: I burned 600 cals!!! Yikes, I think I am not going to eat about 300 of those...

Stiring and Mkwood, hurray for military wives!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: My husband retired in 2003. We have been in San Antonio going on 11 yrs now. After a while here I was wishing we could go somewhere else. :laugh: I got used to moving around. We lived in Germany for 6 yrs. I loved it!!!! My son was born in a German Hospital. A funny story related to yours Stiring, I was in line waiting to get a prescription and looked at the back of my military ID card and it says my weight is 144lbs. Ha! A good reminder about my weight loss. :drinker:

Cardigirl!!!! Way to go!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Have a great evening!! :flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    alf...you are doing great. Your picture shows it. I think it wonderful that you were able to live abroad. I have always wanted to visit a foreign country.
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is my second posting. I am not all that adept at all of this. BUT I am loving the MFP site and especially this 40+ thread. Another great reason to be over 40! What an encouragement all of you are! I am 47, the mother of 5 (ages 14-24). Married to a farmer but never drove a tractor. Before the end of this year two of our daughters will be married to wonderful young men which leads to another level of fun and frenzy in this household. It also lead to some looks into the 3 way mirror while searching for that perfect MOB (Mother of the Bride) dress.

Having never been a"little" girl I've allowed the weight to creep up, but for some reason the pounds jumped up by 10 in the last year!! The less than lovely photo is my incentive to take off 15 before changing to one that is a bit more complimetary. My program so far is to stay close to MFP caloric recommendation and add excercise. I am walking 3 miles twice a week and working out in the gym for an hour 2 days. I am hoping my body takes advantage of the big jump in activity and continues to lose. (7 pounds so far) I have gotten to know some of you by reading through this thread and look forward to joining this community. Best wishes and God's blessing to all of you!
    185537.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • singfree
    Options
    Hello and welcome margiedd! Really nice of you to visit with us...and I hope you stay with us. Thanks for telling us a little bit about yourself. You are on your way to good health and fitness, just be patient and don't rush to lose weight too fast. We all can attest that it really does not work thay way. For most of us aside from a clean diet, exercise is key. Remember, you will see great results if you push your workouts out of your comfort zone. Nothing drastic...just get the heart rate up a bit. You will look and feel wonderful in no time!

All this talk about Germany is making me anxious to get back there. We are going back next year in June 2010 to Germany & Austria (Salzburg & Garmisch), our favorite vacation places on earth!

It's Friday, so I'll be the first to report. This week I cut down on the early morning work at the gym and gave myself an extra hour of sleep. I still do a daily strength workout at noon. I also cut out cardio at the gym, since I am doing so much biking after work. I can tell a small difference in the way my clothes are fitting. Losing the last few lbs of fat is very frustrating, to say the least! Have a great weekend everybody!
  • WantToBeMoreActive
    Options
    Hi all,

Welcome to the new members!!!

Just checking in for Friday, I lost 3 lbs this week after the scale not moving for awhile. :bigsmile:
    I'm away today until Monday with my hubby so hopefully I still be able to make good food choices and get some excercise in.

I tried South Beach before but wouldn't be able to do it again because I know I couldn't give up fruit for the Phase 1 part. I would say the people who see the most difference in the scale are those who haven't been eating very healthily.
  • phetzgetfit
    phetzgetfit Posts: 89
    Options
    me checking in to before i head off for a job this morning. 158. Same old, same old 158. I've made some good changes to my routine. i expect that scale to move DOWN anytime now.

good luck to everyone!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Guten Morgen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: (That's for you Sing) I am sooooo jealous!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Garmisch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I learned how to ski there...I also visited Salzburg. Yes, I am very lucky to have visited so many countries in Europe. Great memories!!!

I did ChaLean Extreme this morning, circuit 3, lots of back and triceps and of course lower body. I also did an ab workout. My arms feel pretty heavy.

Marjie, welcome!!! It sounds like you have a good start. As Singfree said, challenge yourself. When you walk try to walk faster or further each time. When you are ready maybe add some intervals and jog for a few minutes, walk and so on...and it is very important to eat as clean as possible.

Wanttobe, have a nice time with hubby. We'll be here when you come back. :laugh: My husband and I are going to Vegas in 2 wks. I am not planning on "exercising" other than walking up and down the strip. I hope I can stick to a healthy diet and not drink too much :tongue: :noway:

Phetz, can you share the changes you are making? Changes are great!!! It shocks your body and it has no other choice but to get to work!!!! :laugh:

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Alf, you'll have to get hubby to go back to Germany. Funny though in Austria and Bavaria the greeting has alway been "Gruess Gott" (Greetings of God)!!! No wonder...80+% of the population is Catholic. I've only used "Guten Tag or Guten Morgen" in northern Germany. The hardest part is understanding the regional dialect. I know German, but only standard "Hochdeutsch". When they start speaking fast in a regional tongue, I get lost pretty quickly. I better buy a copy of "Bavarian For Dummies"!!!! :laugh:

Hey...it's May 1...time for the May Pole!!!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Hug Alf! Your time was great! I'd be very happy with it. Be careful you too will become a running junky!

Here are my goals for next week - Get back on the healthy eating schedule. I've been lucky to get 2 or 3 meals a day in right now. Make sure I'm getting my water. I'm also going to slowly increase my walking mileage (and keep an accurate accounting of it) so that when I see the surgeon I can be cleared to run. I'm going to do the level 1/2 of Power 90 Scupt minus the push-ups and using my little 2 lb weights next week to see how the neck reacts.

Everyone enjoy your weekend. I'll be throwing a Cinco de Mayo themed Derby party Saturday. I know it is early but I love margaritas and coudn't care less about mint juleps so it is compromise and a good reason to get off my pain meds :wink: