GIrl, please; are bikini pics really the best display of a "

Options

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I think body confidence is hugely under-rated.

However; is it really confidence that leads a woman to feel she needs to display her nearly naked body for comment?

Personally (and yes, this is my OPINION) I prefer to keep some parts of my body a secret for only my husband to unwrap. I don't wear a bikini. I don't wear a sports bra without a shirt over it. I don't wear "ta-da!" shorts. Or any number of the myriad of revealing clothes that I've been told I should aspire to wear. I don't let my daughter wear them either.

Thoughts....

You do what you do and worry about yourself and everyone else will do the same:flowerforyou:
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to be in shape and pull this off

qBYB2.jpg
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options

However; is it really confidence that leads a woman to feel she needs to display her nearly naked body for comment?

Personally (and yes, this is my OPINION) I prefer to keep some parts of my body a secret for only my husband to unwrap. I don't wear a bikini. I don't wear a sports bra without a shirt over it. I don't wear "ta-da!" shorts. Or any number of the myriad of revealing clothes that I've been told I should aspire to wear. I don't let my daughter wear them either.

Thoughts....

I don't wear any of that, either, because I figure underwear belongs *under* clothing... that's not a popular opinion these days, though. Sorry that so many people seem to have felt like they were being judged by you stating your opinion. *shrug*

To actually answer your question of whether it is or is not "confidence" that motivates people to post bikini and/or topless pictures? I think that depends on the person, actually, and where they are in their journey. I shared some pictures of myself when I hit goal weight (last time around)... not in a bikini, but in a fairly tight dress. That WAS motivated by confidence. I was excited and wanted to show the world what I had done. Some people post their progress pictures because getting the "atta-girl" comments can be a huge motivator. Some people also post their starting photos... maybe to have a public record of accountability? Long answer short, I think there are as many answers to your question as there are people on weight-loss journeys. :smile:
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I promise to never post a picture of me in a bikini.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with it at all. And no, that's not my "I'm a guy and like looking at hot girls in bikinis" side saying that (although that side of me DEFINITELY exists). That's just my honest opinion. If someone works hard to make their body the way they want it to be, then they shouldn't have any reservations about showing it off.

And as far as keeping some things private for your hubby to see...what are we talking about here? Belly? Shoulders? Kneecaps? All the important stuff is covered in a bikini.

I mean, this isn't My Amish Fitness Pal, after all...
    ^^^^^^
    THIS!
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I think only someone who isn't confident in their body/shape would say anything negative about wearing a bikini or skimpy clothing. As long as it is not skanky/slutty, I think it should be highly encouraged. And if you did dress sexy while you and your husband are out he would love it even more because he can show you off knowing that you are all his!
  • ffuunnnnyy__ggiirrll
    Options
    Bikinis are great if you pack the goods - gross and laughable if you do not.
    Only 1% of ladies have any business in them unless they enjoy being the object of ridicule.

It's like those fat, greasy old guys parading themselves in speedos.

I recall some thread yesterday where a lady claimed to represent "real women" - :laugh:
    Anyway, people into this fat acceptance movement love the "big and beautiful" on display, and anybody who tells the truth is pillared.

It's just a joke.

The thing is ML, in this thread and the one about real women in bikinis, which now has over 500 posts, you are in the very, very small minority of people who agree with this OP.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options

Presumably we're talking about "displaying her nearly naked body for comment" on MFP? I think it is a sign of confidence AND trust. It is absolutely amazing and wonderful how many people on here have taken the leap of faith that when they post pictures of themselves, at whatever milestone they're at, that they won't be judged or ridiculed by people who see them. I think that people who post their pictures here beleive they are among a supportive group of people who understand how hard they've worked for a healthy, fit body. I have my "before" pictures ready to go and as soon as I reach my goal, I'm going to plaster my befores and afters on every forum on this site!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    And for the record-I didn't take before pics in a bikini to show others I have confidence. I took them to show how far I've come fitness-wise. Wearing a bikini does NOT=self-confidence.
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Thoughts....

I have worked HARD to get healthy and if that means I can fit in to a bikini....so be it. You an be self-confident at any weight. My FB page has pictures of my at my old weight in a swim suit, so why wouldn't I continue to post pics now? Wearing a bikini while at the beach is nothing to be ashamed of.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have a bikini that I wore for the first time in years last summer and did so with pride. It is not a small one and looks and functions more like a sports driven design. (Gotta keep the girls tucked in). The point is, you can be sexy, reveal what you are comfortable with and teach your kids about appropriate dress at the same time. To the OP point, sometimes, the mystery is part of the allure. Sometimes. In everyday life, probably don't want to show up to work showing what your momma gave ya but for progress pics, post away my friends! I will be the one standing behind you cheering you as you go! If you are comfortable with just posting your progress fully clad, I am standing behind you cheering as well! :drinker:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Only 1% of ladies have any business in them unless they enjoy being the object of ridicule.

I recall some thread yesterday where a lady claimed to represent "real women" - :laugh:
    Anyway, people into this fat acceptance movement love the "big and beautiful" on display, and anybody who tells the truth is pillared.

It's just a joke.

The more you go around twisting people's words, the more you make yourself look like an idiot. How about today, instead of representing the body of a real woman, I represent the mind of one while I tell you to take your judgmental, arrogant attitude and kindly go fvck yourself.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I think women should be loved for minds, their hearts, their kind souls, and most of all their giant boobies.
  • ActorGirl1476
    ActorGirl1476 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I get down to the size I feel comfortable in a bikini, I will be happy to have pictures in it. I don't know why it's such a big deal to cover up bodies, but still, if you don't want to do it, then don't do it. Just remember to respect the opinions of those who want to wear whatever they may want to.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Beeeyatches just showin' off.

am so jel.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options

It's just a joke.

The thing is ML, in this thread and the one about real women in bikinis, which now has over 500 posts, you are in the very, very small minority of people who agree with this OP.

i dont think hes agreeing with the OP.

i think he just needs therapy.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like an uber *B* but really, really, really?!?!?
    Just because you are .. errr.. dressing modestly, does not mean the woman posting a bikini or shorts pic on a FITNESS site is not modest. She may not seem modest to you. But her perception is HER reality. She is proud of what she has accomplished. She may need support to get to ger goal. Etc.

That is why we say to each their own.

I hate to say it but you come off as a bit prudish. Your body is for your husband etc etc. Well hun, my body is mine - no ring on my finger allows anyone to own me or my body - and if I want to show it off to anyone and everyone, I damn well will. I worked hard and I am proud.

So bikini pic posting girls... keep it coming! We love how hard you have worked!!! And the eye candy does not suck at all!
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I think women should be loved for minds, their hearts, their kind souls, and most of all their giant boobies.

:flowerforyou:
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options

It's just a joke.

The more you go around twisting people's words, the more you make yourself look like an idiot. How about today, instead of representing the body of a real woman, I represent the mind of one while I tell you to take your judgmental, arrogant attitude and kindly go fvck yourself.

^For the win^
  • NeshBeMe
    NeshBeMe Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't post my body in a bikini online...only because I am a bit of a prude...hahaha

No, but seriously I do like some privacy, wouldn't want my coworkers/managers, or future potential bosses to ever search my name online and find me in a bikini! LOL

That being said, if someone is comfortable to do so...is confident enough to do so...and looks/feels great...then that is their perogative.

If you got it, flaunt it...but with caution and tastefully.

Sooooo...what if you're at the local pool or beach and u run into someone from work? Or do you wear work clothes to swim in? Just curious.... :huh: