Not accepting new friends. Need to... vent? Im not angry.

Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    This another "debate" that I don't understand. Different people have different goals and purposes for this site. Why must people bad-mouth anyone who does it differently? I am not referring to the OP, she was venting. But rather than tell her not to take it personally, so many people jumped in with their comments about "those" people. They won't succeed, they're snobs, they're cliquish, they act like this is high school, they're douches. For the love of crud, people, grow up!
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm not friends with everyone I meet in real life. I put up boundaries to appear unapproachable in real life (ex: no eye contact with slutty chicks at the bar). I tell people that their behavior/attitude/outlook/opinion is pissing me off and that I don't want to be around them in real life.

Are we so disconnected from real life once we sit down in front of a computer message board that these same behaviors are somehow shocking or unacceptable?

Wow. NO eye contact with 'slutty chicks' at the bar. How commendable. You sound a gentleman. I take it from your mission statement that you're as frank in real life as you are on line. Wow, good luck with the classy chicks, you're going to need it!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I accept everyone with a profile picture at the least. I do regularly clean up my friends list however, removing people absent more than 3 days (I'm harsh, yes yes) and those undereating or promoting it. Everyone has their own needs here and some don't like to be overwhelmed by a great long list, and others such as myself remove negative influences very swiftly.
  • ts1122
    ts1122 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :) I may not get personal messages out every day but if someone is struggling, I try to give some kind words and inspiration :)
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I don't accept very many friend requests because when I was on here before, I ended up friending a psycho and I ended up having to delete the account. This time around I am ONLY friends with the people I know aren't going to attempt to make my MFP life a living hell by talking friends into sending hate mail, and people who I've seen around who's comments and posts I like. That's it, that's all. Period. It's MY choice to decide who I want to be friends with. People don't have to like it.
    How many times I gotta say sorry for that lmao
    I've already told you, sorry means nothing. You must send gifts!
    last time I sent you gift you mailed it back saying "No more creepy blow up dolls" I was trying to respect your wishes but if I can send gifts again mauahahahahaha:devil:

That's because I specifically told you, IN WRTITING (because that makes it official that my demands must be met) that the only acceptable gifts are edible, shiny, or battery operated! That was NONE of those things. :grumble:
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'll be your friend :flowerforyou:

Up their butts with coconuts!
  • gildinha
    gildinha Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    LMAO!! I think we read the same blog and wanted to be friends with the same person and we both got disappointed ....
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure it's all about a "clique" don't get me wrong it maybe in some cases. I have friends like that who are not accepting anymore friends, they want to be totally supportive to the friends they already have. I also have friends who only accept women. I'm open, feel free to add me if you like. What I can say is I have lots of MFP friends and only a handfull comment on anything I do or don't do, that's a big disappointment because as busy as I am daily I try to encourage everyone and I'd like the same.
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have a saying similiar to what you said in your original post... buuuuut. mine says I will more than likely add you BUT you need to keep up with commenting my posts as I do the same for all my friends... that is reason I wanted to keep my friends list comfortable but low so that I can comment and support all of my friends and I just ask the same in return :)

you are more than welcome to add me as a friend :)
  • seoid
    seoid Posts: 151
    Options
    there are a lot of RUDE *kitten* people on this board. screw them....they don't deserve your friendship.
  • Shanphichloe
    Options
    I get a bit disappointed too when I see someone who seems fit and healthy and for I wish too follow them but they don't accept anymore friends. But, I rather have people who are willing to support others including myself. They probably have too many friends, or maybe they are at a point were they feel comfortable with what and who they have. I'm always looking for support and willing to offer support. Feel free to add me!
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    I don't accept very many friend requests because when I was on here before, I ended up friending a psycho and I ended up having to delete the account. This time around I am ONLY friends with the people I know aren't going to attempt to make my MFP life a living hell by talking friends into sending hate mail, and people who I've seen around who's comments and posts I like. That's it, that's all. Period. It's MY choice to decide who I want to be friends with. People don't have to like it.
    How many times I gotta say sorry for that lmao
    I've already told you, sorry means nothing. You must send gifts!
    last time I sent you gift you mailed it back saying "No more creepy blow up dolls" I was trying to respect your wishes but if I can send gifts again mauahahahahaha:devil:

That's because I specifically told you, IN WRTITING (because that makes it official that my demands must be met) that the only acceptable gifts are edible, shiny, or battery operated! That was NONE of those things. :grumble:
    Ok next blow up doll I send have a removelible "toy" better?
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Better to have no friends than hundreds of the sort who post 'WTG', 'Awesome burn', 'Wow, good going', 'Great job' and all the other token meaningless repetitive comments when you "burned 11 calories doing 5 minutes of "Walking the goldfish"" ;o)
  • durex
    durex Posts: 1
    Options
    oops, wrong thread
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I've come across it a few times on profiles of people who I thought would make a great "friend" ( lots in common or whatever) and felt miff'd over it at first, but now that I've accepted or friended a few other MPFers who never interact with me I don't really see a problem with it. I'd rather know up front that they feel as though they're at capacity instead of friending them and never hearing from them.

Quality over Quantity
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    LMAO!! I think we read the same blog and wanted to be friends with the same person and we both got disappointed ....

Kinda curious now. What if we ALL send friend requests to this person anyway...., just to annoy them! :devil:
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Wellll, myfitnessPAL clearly wants you to have a wide array of people to lean on with your weightloss journey. I honestly don't get what's so bad about people wanting to get to know you if you share similar fitness goals or simply just give good advice! A person comes off to me as stuck up and self righteous if they post that stupid 'disclaimer' in big *kitten* caps on their page. (/_-
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Honestly- I don't really feel like some unknown person spewing off cliche quotes gets me motivated. Of course I have always been the rebel. I feel like I need to do this myself. I have also noticed if some burns 99 calories going shopping and people comment "nice burn" are they really paying attention to what you are doing? No they are just posting to post. I have a few friends on here. I will comment if it worth commenting. I guess I am just a toughie.
  • stacygb
    stacygb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would love to be your friend! I need all the help I can get!
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I saw some profiles here where I wanted to ask for their friendship, but it MUST come with a message. Message about what? About how great looking they are, fit or what am I going to tell them before I even got the chance to see what they are here for? Just looking for support, like everyone else, no big deal. Isn't this why you befriend someone here?