Language Does Matter!

Options

Replies

• honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but this issue seems way too condescending for me to agree with. People may not have perfect grammar or spelling for a number or reasons, and it's not up to us to judge them. This is a fitness support site, not an English class, and as long as you can understand what someone is trying to say, then who cares about little grammar and spelling mistakes?
    pretty much what I've been saying for 9 pages now! :)
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    I'm sorry, but this issue seems way too condescending for me to agree with. People may not have perfect grammar or spelling for a number or reasons, and it's not up to us to judge them. This is a fitness support site, not an English class, and as long as you can understand what someone is trying to say, then who cares about little grammar and spelling mistakes?

Well said; this website is for fitness not for testing the grammatical capabilities of the poster or someone that comments.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I rly dont see any prob wit ppl's language. Y r u so worried bout others? If I can read it and understand it then I'm not gonna be a freakin gramma nazi and yell at people to type out every word correctly. N-e-way, have fun worrying about how others speak. I just don't get y ppl r use their spare time to correct ppl who they will never meet and have no impact in their lives whatsoever.
  • mandisu
    mandisu Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Capitalization is important.

It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse. :-D
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If you don't know your language, you can't communicate effectively. At the very least, I'll judge you a little.
    [/quote]

Wow. I am shocked that you would say that you would "judge" this person. WHO are you to do this? The Grammar Police? And, WHY should that PW aspire to be at your (not you're) grammar level?

This is a WEIGHT LOSS website. Someplace where those of us with insecurities about our weight come and get support.

Why would you feel so compelled to make someone feel ashamed that they are, perhaps, not as educated as you. Or, that they may have had a long day writing essays, or writing reports, and not give a hoot whether or not they use proper grammar.

Sheesh, give us a break. Chill out. Have a glass of low-cal wine. It is what it is. Have a Blessed Night!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I rly dont see any prob wit ppl's language. Y r u so worried bout others? If I can read it and understand it then I'm not gonna be a freakin gramma nazi and yell at people to type out every word correctly. N-e-way, have fun worrying about how others speak. I just don't get y ppl r use their spare time to correct ppl who they will never meet and have no impact in their lives whatsoever.

Excellent! You've proved the point.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options

It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse. :-D
    I think you mean punctuation

I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse

VS

I helped my uncle Jack off a horse
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Three words in and I stopped reading.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options

I think you mean punctuation

I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse

VS

I helped my uncle Jack off a horse
    I snickered.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    And, I'd say 9 pages of argument pretty much indicates that you're massively bothered by it.

And yet you too are contributing to the 9 pages.

*deleted from FL*
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm an ESL teacher, and it SHOCKS me that native speakers mistake you're/your and their/there/they're.

Spelling never was my strong point . . . js
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    After all of this arguing and stuff, you all must be very hungry. I brought you some sandwiches.
    Sandwichplatter.jpg
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    My personal opinion is that those born to the "texting generation" are losing their ability to write/read/speak properly. Shorthand may work for texting and even personal email, but at some point these boys and girls will be expected to join the working class. May as well practice proper written skills now rather than trying to figure out why they couldn't even get an interview because of a poorly written resume/application/cover letter.

Like, fer realz!

I second this.

To those who honestly have a hard time with spelling or grammar or just general verbal or written expression such as those learning it as another language or those with dyslexia or other dysfunctions, if they're spelling poorly then it's not something anyone needs commenting on. However when the case is that the person is fully capable of correct spelling and grammar and chooses not to use it, then I see it as a problem. Shorthand, "txt spk", l337, and anything else should be reserved for your phone if it does not have a full keyboard, physical or on-screen, twitter because of the character limit, and maybe in IMs or e-mails if you're that in a hurry. If you have a full, 26 letter keyboard in front of you, use it. There is no excuse, not even "I type really slow."

When I was in high school I was friends with most of the teachers since my Aunt taught there as well. I heard so many complaints from the teachers whenever it came to writing essays or, for English/Literature, short stories, or even just assignments that had you write out a paragraph. The students would write in text speak and some of them who spoke very heavy slang would write exactly how they spoke. These students were not dumb, many of them pulled high grades but when it came to writing they just butchered the English language. Hell I had a friend who purposely began misspelling all her Facebook posts because another friend corrected a word she had typed wrong from her phone. I told her something and she blocked me and behind my back told another person how big a virgin I must be to be bothered with spelling on Facebook.

On your own free time and in certain circles it's fine if you don't care or want to type or talk a certain way but for the majority of society, if your use of your native tongue is poor then you'll be thought of as stupid or ignorant. One or two misspelled words on a resume may not matter, but if you can't pull a simple sentence out your butt to save your life or you slather it all in slang, do you really think you'll be getting hired? And I'm talking higher-end jobs, not McDonalds. I'm fairly certain their criteria is not high when it comes to hiring employees.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    So you stopped at rly?
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    So you stopped at rly?
    Yes.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options

Wow. I am shocked that you would say that you would "judge" this person. WHO are you to do this? The Grammar Police? And, WHY should that PW aspire to be at your (not you're) grammar level?

This is a WEIGHT LOSS website. Someplace where those of us with insecurities about our weight come and get support.

Why would you feel so compelled to make someone feel ashamed that they are, perhaps, not as educated as you. Or, that they may have had a long day writing essays, or writing reports, and not give a hoot whether or not they use proper grammar.

Sheesh, give us a break. Chill out. Have a glass of low-cal wine. It is what it is. Have a Blessed Night!

Well being as this is the internet and text generally is how we communicate, poor grammar, spelling, and overall language is how people will see you. Someone who does not capitalize, punctuate, or spell very well will be perceived as either young or someone who is lazy. Not everyone sees it that way, but considering we have the technology of a 26-letter keyboard and the ability to turn on spellcheck or at least google for the right spelling, there's not much excuse to poorly represent yourself and your level of intelligence, no matter what the website is geared towards.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    "rly" isn't a word. So he would have had to stop at "dont". Unless punctuation matters in his mind, then he'd have stopped at "see".
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    And, I'd say 9 pages of argument pretty much indicates that you're massively bothered by it.

And yet you too are contributing to the 9 pages.

*deleted from FL*

unfriend-1i7f8zx.jpg
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    "rly" isn't a word. So he would have had to stop at "dont". Unless punctuation matters in his mind, then he'd have stopped at "see".

Rly=really in text speak so therefore it is a word. Like ain't :flowerforyou:
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    grammar-police-demotivational-poster-1220600140.jpg