Language Does Matter!

Options

Replies

• _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    "rly" isn't a word. So he would have had to stop at "dont". Unless punctuation matters in his mind, then he'd have stopped at "see".

Rly=really in text speak so therefore it is a word. Like ain't :flowerforyou:
    Taken from Merram Webster:

ain't

Although widely disapproved as nonstandard and more common in the habitual speech of the less educated, ain't in senses 1 and 2 is flourishing in American English. It is used in both speech and writing to catch attention and to gain emphasis

No mention of Rly in any dictionary.
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    "rly" isn't a word. So he would have had to stop at "dont". Unless punctuation matters in his mind, then he'd have stopped at "see".

nice one catching out Tu quoque :laugh:
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    weLL @ le4S7 WE D0'n7 90 4R0UND 7YPiN' lIke 7hiz. s0 JUs7 8e h4PPy 7h@ PE0pLE R USin' RE4L w0rdz 4nD le77Erz Even 7h0U9H 7heY m4Y 8E 0U7 0F 0rDEr.

Wlel at laset we don't go auornd tiynpg lkie tihs. So jsut be hpapy taht popele are uinsg rael wrdos and lteters eevn tuohgh tehy may be out of odrer.

For those of you who's brain doesn't work:

Well at least we don't go around typing like this. so just be happy that people are using real words and letters even though they may be out of order.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options

Rly=really in text speak so therefore it is a word. Like ain't :flowerforyou:
    Taken from Merram Webster:

ain't

Although widely disapproved as nonstandard and more common in the habitual speech of the less educated, ain't in senses 1 and 2 is flourishing in American English. It is used in both speech and writing to catch attention and to gain emphasis

No mention of Rly in any dictionary.

http://www.lingo2word.com/translatetxt.php?searcher1=lingo&tosearch1=?searcher1=lingo&tosearch1=Undrstand+txt+Msgs+,+Jst+Typ+Yr+Msg+in+d+lft+bx

Type in rly :tongue:
  • katherinemm31
    Options
    weLL @ le4S7 WE D0'n7 90 4R0UND 7YPiN' lIke 7hiz. s0 JUs7 8e h4PPy 7h@ PE0pLE R USin' RE4L w0rdz 4nD le77Erz Even 7h0U9H 7heY m4Y 8E 0U7 0F 0rDEr.

Wlel at laset we don't go auornd tiynpg lkie tihs. So jsut be hpapy taht popele are uinsg rael wrdos and lteters eevn tuohgh tehy may be out of odrer.

Well at least we don't go around typing like this. so just be happy that people are using real words and letters even though they may be out of order.
    It's so cool how I can still read this! I love our brains. :smile:
  • HorrorChix89
    Options

It's so cool how I can still read this! I love our brains. :smile:

So do I! One of the best things I learned in High School English
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    If you don't know your language, you can't communicate effectively. At the very least, I'll judge you a little.
    Wow. I am shocked that you would say that you would "judge" this person. WHO are you to do this? The Grammar Police? And, WHY should that PW aspire to be at your (not you're) grammar level?

This is a WEIGHT LOSS website. Someplace where those of us with insecurities about our weight come and get support.

Why would you feel so compelled to make someone feel ashamed that they are, perhaps, not as educated as you. Or, that they may have had a long day writing essays, or writing reports, and not give a hoot whether or not they use proper grammar.

Sheesh, give us a break. Chill out. Have a glass of low-cal wine. It is what it is. Have a Blessed Night!

99% of the people I judge never know it because I don't go around telling anyone. My personal thoughts and opinions don't decide what other people aspire to be, feel ashamed about, or their education level.

My comment here was a generalization about how the lack of grammar in people's posts affect me. If you choose to feel judged personally from it, that's cute.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Well I admit I'm not really good in English especially on grammar since its only my 3rd language but I do make sure that I put all my best efforts in typing but I'm more having hard time speaking it like my tongue cannot move. I can write it better thanks to google translator or spell check but I also wish I can master it with my tongue. Also I find it confusing the two words like lose and loose both in usage & pronounciation. Its not helpful also that I see the two words interchange.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Capitalization is important.

It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse. :-D
    I think you mean punctuation

I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse

VS

I helped my uncle Jack off a horse

Both examples make the same point. Small changes in spelling and punctuation sometimes make a huge difference in meaning.
  • Mythel
    Mythel Posts: 72
    Options

I think it's time you go take your rag medicine. Good day.

Oh, that's right. I forgot, I'm a female so clearly all of my problems are due to my menstrual cycle. I don't know how I even made my way out of the kitchen long enough to engage in this argument, but let me take my mydol and get back to where I belong. So sorry...

Honestly, I'd understand being offended by that if a guy posted it... but a girl posted it, get over yourself a little bit and enjoy a laugh. :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

It doesn't matter if it was a male or female. It was a sexist statement that was derogatory against women. ALL women even the one who said it.
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Just because you suck at spelling or grammar doesn't mean you're dumb. Just assuming that, is pretty dumb in itself.

I taught at the collegiate level for 8 years, and I couldn't believe how many students turned in formal papers using "texting" grammar - things like "u" instead of "you" and "prolly" instead of "probably." IMHO, I don't think someone who has poor spelling or grammar skills is stupid - just lazy.

And as an instructor and a potential employer - why would I want to hire someone who is too lazy to use their spellchecker and/or grammar checker, when they are so easily available? Such laziness will probably carry over into their daily duties and make them a lousy employee.

THAT BEING SAID - I don't expect perfect grammar and spelling in online communication - most people, me included, are usually typing too fast, multitasking, and just in too much of a hurry. But I'm not going to lie - every single cover letter/resume that had even the slightest typo in it went into the circular file immediately. There are too many people looking for jobs who realize how important perfection is in that situation.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

I think it's time you go take your rag medicine. Good day.

Oh, that's right. I forgot, I'm a female so clearly all of my problems are due to my menstrual cycle. I don't know how I even made my way out of the kitchen long enough to engage in this argument, but let me take my mydol and get back to where I belong. So sorry...

Honestly, I'd understand being offended by that if a guy posted it... but a girl posted it, get over yourself a little bit and enjoy a laugh. :flowerforyou:
    It doesn't matter if it was a male or female. It was a sexist statement that was derogatory against women. ALL women even the one who said it.
    Exactly. My response was said sarcastically in response to the "take your rag medicine" post to point out the sexism in the original post. I think it's even worse coming from a woman, to be honest. Also thought I would point out my intentions because someone else misunderstood them and thought I was the one being sexist.
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    Capitalization is important.

It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse. :-D
    I think you mean punctuation

I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse

VS

I helped my uncle Jack off a horse

Both examples make the same point. Small changes in spelling and punctuation sometimes make a huge difference in meaning.
    Sometimes it makes a big difference, but most of us have enough common sense to read through a few gramatical and punctuation errors and still understand what is trying to be said.
    Options
    However for native English speakers out there or those who speak it really good, if you find mistakes on our English its not good to do something like make a forum post like "it should be lose not loose" etc. Its more of an insult than trying to educate us non-English speakers. I know that over 90% of you here are from US or other English speaking countries & I know English as universal language (which is why we study it) but please be sensitive enough that not all people has the resources to speak it like you guys do there. I really hate it when people make fun of others who can't English well. Just because we can't spell it correctly or cannot diferentiate is-was, lose-loose, this-these, that-those doesn't mean we are uneducated, low-class people. I know many people who can't English well but are successful. And if you're basing every success on language alone then Philippines, Jamaica, Guyana, Pakistan & India should be included among the first world countries and not Japan & South Korea but look where these 5 countries are standing in right now.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    However for native English speakers out there or those who speak it really good, if you find mistakes on our English its not good to do something like make a forum post like "it should be lose not loose" etc. Its more of an insult than trying to educate us non-English speakers. I know that over 90% of you here are from US or other English speaking countries & I know English as universal language (which is why we study it) but please be sensitive enough that not all people has the resources to speak it like you guys do there. I really hate it when people make fun of others who can't English well. Just because we can't spell it correctly or cannot diferentiate is-was, lose-loose, this-these, that-those doesn't mean we are uneducated, low-class people. I know many people who can't English well but are successful.

Well said! And you can probably bet on it that most of these people only speak English as a language! I'm Bilingual in English and Arabic, hopefully I'll be multilingual in French and Spanish =))
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    However for native English speakers out there or those who speak it really good, if you find mistakes on our English its not good to do something like make a forum post like "it should be lose not loose" etc. Its more of an insult than trying to educate us non-English speakers. I know that over 90% of you here are from US or other English speaking countries & I know English as universal language (which is why we study it) but please be sensitive enough that not all people has the resources to speak it like you guys do there. I really hate it when people make fun of others who can't English well. Just because we can't spell it correctly or cannot diferentiate is-was, lose-loose, this-these, that-those doesn't mean we are uneducated, low-class people. I know many people who can't English well but are successful. And if you're basing every success on language then Philippines, Jamaica, Guyana, Pakistan & India should be included among the first world countries instead of Japan & South Korea but look where these countries are standing in right now.
    Don't let it get to you. The majority of Americans don't know any other language besides English, so the fact that you have learned enough to speak and write a second language fluently is awesome!
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    However for native English speakers out there or those who speak it really good, if you find mistakes on our English its not good to do something like make a forum post like "it should be lose not loose" etc. Its more of an insult than trying to educate us non-English speakers. I know that over 90% of you here are from US or other English speaking countries & I know English as universal language (which is why we study it) but please be sensitive enough that not all people has the resources to speak it like you guys do there. I really hate it when people make fun of others who can't English well. Just because we can't spell it correctly or cannot diferentiate is-was, lose-loose, this-these, that-those doesn't mean we are uneducated, low-class people. I know many people who can't English well but are successful. And if you're basing every success on language then Philippines, Jamaica, Guyana, Pakistan & India should be included among the first world countries instead of Japan & South Korea but look where these countries are standing in right now.
    Don't let it get to you. The majority of Americans don't know any other language besides English, so the fact that you have learned enough to speak and write a second language fluently is awesome!

Are you REALLY still fighting about this???? Please tell me you're over this high-horse of yours already!
    Options

Thank you. I'm actually trilingual in Spanish, Filipino (Tagalog) and English although I need more practice in English but I don't make fun of people who can't speak good Spanish or Filipino, in fact I appreciate their efforts to learn it. I have high respect for the English language since its universal language which is why I keep on learning it.
  • honeysprinkles
    Options

Are you REALLY still fighting about this???? Please tell me you're over this high-horse of yours already!
    Fighting? I am offering up encouragement to her post. Why did you even need to comment? I'm not on a high-horse and the person that I was actually talking to (as in, not you) appreciated what I had to say anyways.

Also, some people actually enjoy a debate. You can call it fighting but I don't remember you even being in this discussion lately.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Fighting? I am offering up encouragement to her post. Why did you even need to comment? I'm not on a high-horse and the person that I was actually talking to (as in, not you) appreciated what I had to say anyways.

Also, some people actually enjoy a debate. You can call it fighting but I don't remember you even being in this discussion lately.

sorry, between pages, (wherever my last coment to you was) and now, I actually stepped away from my computer....strange, right?