Can you handle having a CLINGY significant other?

Options

Replies

• Stacera
    Stacera Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I had one of those.. he would hardly let me have my own cushion on the couch. he had to ALWAYS be in contact and touching me!! it was sooooo irritating I would be watching TV and he would want to make out.. like all the time!! or I would be making dinner and he was always there, not helping me with dinner but being in the way I'm like DAMN MAN! back up! needless to say it ended with me telling him I felt like I couldn't even have my own air to breathe and I couldn't deal with his constant in my face. The way he was it was almost like a person on X wanting to touch everything or a cat on catnip.. it was bizarre.. and he wasn't on anything.

I like to have some space.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Send him the link to this
    http://youtu.be/7CYE0DYIbaw
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Something you said struck me. "If I leave him his heart will shatter" It sounds like you're ok with leaving but just don't want to hurt him. If you aren't "in love" with him...he will wind up just pushing you away by all this and then it will be much harder to break it off. I say break it off now before it gets more complicated.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm a needy b*tch and like lots of affection. But I like my SO to have her own hobbies, interest, and personality. It's hard to maintain individualism in a committed relationship but it's important to give each other space to do so.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options

However, don't stay with anybody just because his heart will shatter if you leave him. That's a recipe for unhappiness for both of you. If you don't love the guy, don't stay with him out of pity. Let him go and find someone who will love him back.

Good luck!

Well said!!!
  • Legalchica
    Legalchica Posts: 462
    Options
    Yup I agree RUN.... I thought it was cute... 13 years later i'm verging on hate....
  • Aleciajones
    Aleciajones Posts: 153
    Options
    My husband and I are both clingy so it works perfectly
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    he wouldnt make it through the first date before Id bail.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I can go months or even years without seeing someone, but really appreciate clingy partners. I like knowing someone cares about me, and it makes me feel good doing things for them.

The last thing I need is someone like myself -- our first date could be at a movie theater, and the second 40 years later in a retirement home...:indifferent:
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Just as a bit of a thread hijack..

The last line about touching constantly, is that a really bad thing? I've found myself doing that, not always through affection I just know that they love the touch. Maybe it's overused I don't know but I love giving out massages and things :x Never realised it was something that gets on someones nerves but I've kinda just realised I did it quite a lot with the last person I saw. Eeek.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    No, I can not handle clingy. Sometimes I just want my space with no one's input. I had one dude I was starting to date (1 week) beginning doing some of this type of stuff, MAJOR TURN OFF. My boyfriend now is the complete opposite, I love it. I get to miss him when we don't talk/see each other everyday.
  • nray3119
    nray3119 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Run away!! There is something wrong. Why does he feel the need to be so attached?
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Just as a bit of a thread hijack..

The last line about touching constantly, is that a really bad thing? I've found myself doing that, not always through affection I just know that they love the touch. Maybe it's overused I don't know but I love giving out massages and things :x Never realised it was something that gets on someones nerves but I've kinda just realised I did it quite a lot with the last person I saw. Eeek.

I like that. Clingy to me sounds similar to "too nice." Some (aka quite a few) people seem to think there *has to be* something wrong with a person if they show their feelings and treat the person they love well. <_< A lot of these people then go on to date people who are the opposite, and complain these people "aren't attentive, romantic sweet, affectionate etc. enough."

I love giving out massages and stuff too. I wish it was more acceptable to not play games and stuff...but alas I too am going to wait a while before shelling out massages and stuff. Frankly, I think you should just do what you want though LOL. I'm simply waiting because my experience has been that people think I must be *desperate, obsessive, or I have a hidden problem* if I do this stuff early on. Basically, I'm playing it safe...although I seek-out clingy people so hopefully they too appreciate this stuff in most cases ^^
  • BlackmetalCoffee79
    BlackmetalCoffee79 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like my alone time, so no i personally couldn't handle an extremely clingy g/f. Plus i know a lot of relationships around me that are this way and it ends up in some ways effecting my friendship with the person involved. It's not to say that i couldn't be the romantic type or anything like that, it's just that i feel most people need some time to themselves, but maybe that's just my personality type.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Google "Insecure Attachment" - that's what he has. Evidently his childhood was probably chaotic, so he has a fear of abandonment now. What he feels is a need for assurance and stability - once he feels more secure in your relationship and that you really like him, it'll calm down some. But in the initial stages, he'll just want a lot of assurance and he gets that by being touchy feely, by asking if you love him, etc. And, his inner child probably really DOES believe that you're going to leave him at any time.

I don't think he's going to turn scary on you or anything like that, but you do need to talk about it and ask if him he's feeling the things you read about insecure attachment. And then ask how you can help him feel more secure and how he can let you have more space. Maybe one really meaningful "I love you" a day would give him what he needs, and give you what you need.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I can't handle clingy in ANY relationship, period.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I have learned that after you make them cry a few times (not saying I love you back, shrugging them off when they try to physically cling, and making plans that don't involve them have all worked for me in the past) they'll get extremely upset and leave because you "don't treat them the way they deserve"

A simpler but much more dramatic and drawn out way is to dump them, however this comes with a lot of questions, texts, and phone calls so they can find out why exactly you have dumped them. That's why I go the other route and make them cry (by having a life of my own and making my personal space known) so they leave on their own.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I don`t have to read any other responses to tell you that he is effed up and you will not fix him.
    End it.
  • Tanyawhite30
    Options
    My husband is like that...but I dont see him alot because he works away so I guess it`s ok....but sometimes I am anxious for him to leave lol!!