You Can Gain Muscle On A Calorie Deficit!!

Options

Replies

• Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You either are spinning your butt off or playing dumb!! My Dr. who is a board certified physician and has worked out his entire life, was the person responsible for getting me to start working out, because of being on HB. and Col. meds I had blood and urine work done every 3 months, ( my goal was to get off the meds and stay off) so as I exercised, dropped the weight and ate healthy he reduced my meds and finally took me off them, The enitre time I kept bugging him to test my T- levels aswell because all I kept seeing on TV. was when men hit my age their T-levels keep dropping etc. etc.. He finally gave in, but not after telling me time after time, that my T-levels were fine because if they were not where they should be for a white male my age, there is no way I could put on the amount of muscle I had. ( turns out he was right and I was worried about nothing) and it wasnt like he was shocked that I gained muscle while on a deficit.
    This is a nice story, but it doesn't VERIFY anything you've stated.
    second, (and you know this) A newbie on a surplus can gain 25-30lbs of muscle during their first year, where as a seasoned body builder is lucky to put on 10lbs of new muscle. (but keep playing dumb or better yet call Sally Struthers and ask her for your money back for the certification courses you took)
    No need to start getting personal and calling me "dumb". That usually happens when people whose argument starts to unravel. Of course I know that a newbie on SURPLUS can gain that weight. YOUR CLAIM is that you did it IN DEFICIT which is what your whole thread is about. Where am I being "dumb" here by re stating what you've claimed?
    Now I shouldnt even mention this, (since your so amazed by my arms getting bigger) but when I started working out, (+ 83 lbs) I could wrap my hand around either one of my forearms a couple inches above my wrist and touch my thumb and middle finger together, now there is about an inch of space in between my thumb and middle finger. (-83 lbs)
    You're right, you shouldn't have mentioned it because it has nothing to do with the debate at hand.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Lol, reading comprehension may not be your best quality either, Because I didnt call you dumb! I said that your either spinning your butt off or PLAYING DUMB, But each and everytime another member posts that they gained muscle and lost fat at the same time, it makes you look like it. (just sayin)
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    I gained plenty of muscle while dropping 150lbs over 8 months. I lift significantly more weight now.

I did this on a 1200-1500 cal 150-250 protein diet for a majority of the time. I did do refeeds to keep metabolism regulated and normalized. In actuallity with the cardio I was eating 500-700 NET cals most days.
    So you were in the obese/very overweight exception of people who gained on calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member
    And so was I but I never ate below 2,400 calories or ATLEAST 225 grams of protein per day and thats once I dropped to 213lbs, 9lbs ago,
    Wait, that would be a SURPLUS then based on your BMR. A 300lbs man at your height and age has a BMR of 2115. Even if he exercised and daily energy expenditure was 1000 calories extra, he would still have to consume 2600 to lose 1lb a week.
    This is getting better and better each post.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
    LMAO, This post right here explains it all to me. MFP. calculated that I needed to eat 1900 calories per day to lose 2-3 lbs ( my goal was only to lose 1-2 lbs per week) per week without eating back calories burned due to exercise. But then again MFP also calculated that I only needed to consume 71 grams of protein per day. Now MFP. is a great tool, but everyone is different and should only use MFP calculations or your cookie cutter calculations as a starting point. Again your either playing dumb (please note I didnt call you dumb) or spinning your butt off again. If I have been eating at a surplus how did I lose 83 lbs. now in just under 13 months???
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    The exact groups of people that I Iintended this thread for!! And remember in my study, the subjects only resistance trained for 15 minutes per day. I doubt I would have gained any muscle If I only lifted for 15 minutes per day.
    Again, your "study" isn't verified. No link, no abstract. Till you come up with the actual study, it's anecdotal.

IDEA Fitness member
    Again your study was no better
    Lol, the study was a PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDY. That's much different then just spouting about "some study that ______ did" to try to support your stance. There's more to it than just the abstract if you're willing to pay. Don't know if they take pike for pay though.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Again, what was each subjects age? what did each subject weigh? what was their calorie deficit per day, how many grams of protein did each subject consume per day, And what was their program, split etc.
    Or dont you think none of the things I mentioned matter?
    It's the abstract. That's the summary overall summary of the study. Like I stated, if you want to see the whole study, feel free to pay to see it. I'm a cheap skate and have no need to see it since this is research I've read over and over again.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lol, reading comprehension may not be your best quality either, Because I didnt call you dumb! I said that your either spinning your butt off or PLAYING DUMB, But each and everytime another member posts that they gained muscle and lost fat at the same time, it makes you look like it. (just sayin)
    I have no need to play dumb. I've more than countered each statement you keep putting out. You don't address them when brought up, you try to deflect them by asking or making statements not even related to the topic we were on.

So to make it easy let's go one at a time:
    Is it your view that you can put on 10lbs of muscle on a calorie deficit? Simple question. Answer it and then post a study showing that it was actually done. That's it. Just start there and don't go off on some tangent.

IDEA Fitness member
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    There's quite a difference between putting on new lean muscle and just strengthening / maintaining what you already have. It takes calories to "bulk up".

Within your body, it is not a sum net gain or loss.

If the eaten protein can be used for building muscle, it will be.
    If it isn't, it'll be burned as amino acids or stored as fat more likely.
    The energy your body is needing in deficit is already coming from fat stores (and carbs, and muscle if doing it all wrong). All you are doing is sending protein to the muscle instead of conversion to the fat for storage.

You can build new lean muscle on a deficit.

I agree. Because I have, so unless I am some massive freak of nature, it's clearly possible. I may not have gained muscle overall, but it has relocated, so clearly I am building it as well as breaking it down. My calves are now bigger in diameter than they were before I lost weight, and are solid muscle, whereas before they had some fat (though not a lot as I don't carry much fat on my legs).
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I gained plenty of muscle while dropping 150lbs over 8 months. I lift significantly more weight now.

I did this on a 1200-1500 cal 150-250 protein diet for a majority of the time. I did do refeeds to keep metabolism regulated and normalized. In actuallity with the cardio I was eating 500-700 NET cals most days.
    So you were in the obese/very overweight exception of people who gained on calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member
    And so was I but I never ate below 2,400 calories or ATLEAST 225 grams of protein per day and thats once I dropped to 213lbs, 9lbs ago,
    Wait, that would be a SURPLUS then based on your BMR. A 300lbs man at your height and age has a BMR of 2115. Even if he exercised and daily energy expenditure was 1000 calories extra, he would still have to consume 2600 to lose 1lb a week.

IDEA Fitness member
    LMAO, This post right here explains it all to me. MFP. calculated that I needed to eat 1900 calories per day to lose 2-3 lbs ( my goal was only to lose 1-2 lbs per week) per week without eating back calories burned due to exercise. But then again MFP also calculated that I only needed to consume 71 grams of protein per day. Now MFP. is a great tool, but everyone is different and should only use MFP calculations or your cookie cutter calculations as a starting point. Again your either playing dumb (please note I didnt call you dumb) or spinning your butt off again. If I have been eating at a surplus how did I lose 83 lbs. now in just under 13 months???
    No I agree you had to be in deficit or else you wouldn't have lost the weight. The lost weight isn't the debate, it's the gaining of at least 10lbs of muscle or more in the process.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I agree. Because I have, so unless I am some massive freak of nature, it's clearly possible. I may not have gained muscle overall, but it has relocated, so clearly I am building it as well as breaking it down. My calves are now bigger in diameter than they were before I lost weight, and are solid muscle, whereas before they had some fat (though not a lot as I don't carry much fat on my legs).
    I believe that recomposition happens, but like building lean muscle on a calorie deficit, I don't think it's in the "numbers" that people think they are.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Such a simple request to substantiate an argument becomes a lesson in futility

captions059.jpg
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    There's quite a difference between putting on new lean muscle and just strengthening / maintaining what you already have. It takes calories to "bulk up".
    You can add muscle aswell. The only exception is when you reach a very low BF%

I'm a goood example of this, my muscles have grown SO much its not even funny, YET i'm losing weight weekly... im on a calorie defecit.. but i eat protein like a cow, and vegetables and good carbs..
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Such a simple request to substantiate an argument becomes a lesson in futility

captions059.jpg
    Ah yeah. But it's hard for me to let someone pass on bad info on the boards here. Next thing you know, he'll be drinking Shakeology and claiming massive growth while still on calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member
  • cheddle
    cheddle Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    ***I TOTALY AGREE WITH OP - ITS TRUE*** READ:
    I have been calorie deficit diet for almost a year, with the odd blow out every 7 to 14 days... and by blow out I mean about 500 calories above maintenance.

I have been strength training primarily

squats, bench press and deadlifts being the focus of my training.

I started not being able to squat my body weight of 140kg more than 25 times. I can now squat 120 kgs, for reps.
    I stated not being able to bench press more than 40 kgs, I can now bench press 100kgs for 1RM and 87kg for reps
    I started not being able to hold onto an 80kg deadlift, I can now lock out 160kgs...

I have made these gains whilst eating 500-1000 calories below my maintenance on a daily basis
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have been calorie deficit diet for almost a year, with the odd blow out every 7 to 14 days... and by blow out I mean about 500 calories above maintenance.

I started not being able to squat my body weight of 140kg more than 25 times. I can now squat 120 kgs, for reps.
    I stated not being able to bench press more than 40 kgs, I can now bench press 100kgs for 1RM and 87kg for reps
    I started not being able to hold onto an 80kg deadlift, I can now lock out 160kgs...

I have made these gains whilst eating 500-1000 calories below my maintenance on a daily basis

You have given examples of an increase in strength which doesn't necessarily mean an increase in muscle
  • ninerbuff
    Options

You have given examples of an increase in strength which doesn't necessarily mean an increase in muscle
    THIS. if you haven't studied kinesiology, physiology and myology, then the equating muscle gain as being the result of higher strength gain is not an uncommon thought.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Uh huh.

My max legpress has gone from 90 lbs to 225, and I LOST almost 6 lbs of muscle. Strength gains do not equal muscle tissue gains.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I believe that recomposition happens, but like building lean muscle on a calorie deficit, I don't think it's in the "numbers" that people think they are.

IDEA Fitness member

I agree with that.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Uh huh.

My max legpress has gone from 90 lbs to 225, and I LOST almost 6 lbs of muscle. Strength gains do not equal muscle tissue gains.
    It sucks. The last 5 years, I've noticed my lean muscle slowly diminishing along with my strength.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    I have no need to play dumb. I've more than countered each statement you keep putting out. You don't address them when brought up, you try to deflect them by asking or making statements not even related to the topic we were on.

So to make it easy let's go one at a time:
    Is it your view that you can put on 10lbs of muscle on a calorie deficit? Simple question. Answer it and then post a study showing that it was actually done. That's it. Just start there and don't go off on some tangent.

IDEA Fitness member
    I think anyone that read thru this thread would say that I tried to answer anyone that took the time to post, ask a question etc. Yes, it is my view that I did put on atleast 10lbs of muscle over the past year while on a deficit. I spent hours trying to locate studies on this subject that either supported my view and that didnt support my view and posted what I found. Meanwhile others keep posting stating that they gained muscle while on a deficit. So please put us out of our misery and post these studies that I cannot find.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member
    Now your turn! Straight forward answer, Are you saying that I wasnt at a deficit over the last few weeks consuming 2,400 calories per day and weighing between 204-213 lbs? If so, are you saying that a person can cut fat when not on a deficit? Because if your answer is yes, than I could absolutely be wrong and you right!! And thought I had my macro's set at a deficit over the last 13 months when I had them set at a surplus.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options

THIS. if you haven't studied kinesiology, physiology and myology, then the equating muscle gain as being the result of higher strength gain is not an uncommon thought.

IDEA Fitness member

I have a question (for anyone) regarding strength gains. Please dont think that im trying claim that strength gains is proof etc. of gaining muscle because im not!! I stated this in a prior post in this thread, But in your opinion lets use bench for example, can a beginner increase their max bench 50- 100- 125 lbs etc. from just improving their form and strengthening their existing lean muscle, ligaments, tendons etc without a gain in lean muscle? Once again Im not implying increasing your bench etc. is proof that you gained LM. Just curious to see if there are limitations regarding strength gains from just improving your form and strengthing your existing lean muscle, ligaments and tendons. ect. Thanks.