Dog owners, am i being selfish?

Options

Replies

• KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Research Research Research, the breeds of intrest temprament excercise needs, activity levels, grooming requirements, check in to adoption organizations in your area, find a good veterinarian. Talk to them before you get the dog for medical concerns for the breed, health and maintanance needs.AND TAKE THE TIME FOR TRAINING CLASSES IT IS WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We currently have 4 dogs 14yr old Dalmation mix rescue, separation anexity dog that we have had since she was 12 weeks old must be crated when no one is there, 7 yr old Great Dane Mix from the shelter nuts high energy dog must be crated when no one is there would eat the house, and 2 carian Terriers brothers 4 yr old rescues, crated together when no one is there because it's not fair for them to be loose and harrassing the other 2. All get along great and love to play together and it works for our family.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Both my husband and I work away from home and are typically gone 9 hours at a time. We have 2 rescue dogs. Yes they keep each other company. I would recommend getting a dog at least 18 months or older, that way most of the puppy is out of them. This way they can wait to go to the rest room for 9 hours straight, and aren't as full of energy while your gone. I also highly recommend cage training the dog.
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I wonder if all the judgmental people on here are aware of how many dogs are killed each year at the shelters due to lack of a home. Would you think it's better that the dog die then be home alone for 8 hours a day?

AGREE!!! Im a HUGE animal lover and involved in rescue.... SHELTER dogs just want a home and love! Too many HEALTHY dogs are euthanized!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    When we got our lab puppy she was 11 wereks old. I ran home from work everyday at lunch to let her out. Other wise she was in her kennel in the diningroom while we were gone. It took her exactly 2 weeks to potty train. After she grew up we were able to let her roam the house while we were gone and she would go into her kennel to nap with the door open. She only had 1 chewing episode while we were out. One coffee table gone. SHe never chewed anything else.

Have fun.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. On one hand, dogs are extremely social and extended periods of being alone will cause some dogs to act out in destructive ways, simply from being bored or because they are lonely. On the other hand, many dogs do very well alone while their owner works - crate training is especially helpful in this. So it is somewhat dependent on the temperament of your dog. Doggy daycare is a great option if that is feasible for you.

Consider adopting an older dog with an established personality and less of the annoying puppiness :smile: I love my furry buddy. We go for long walks most days, he has a yard to play in, and he sleeps at the foot of my bed. Make sure you have a reliable dog-sitter or boarder if you have to go out of town without him. That is the one thing about my pup - he makes going away for.the weekend much more complicated than it was when we just had a cat!

This pretty well sums it up. My first dog (as an adult) was a pitbull from a local municipal shelter. She was a very loving, great with people and other dogs. I used crate training initially, but I also had a dog walker come in daily for about 30 minutes. Bridget was still prone to separation anxiety. She got into alot of stuff (this behavior nearly always occurs immediately after departure of the beloved Mom and or Dad humans), including the refrigerator, my drawers etc. Once when I came home, I thought the place had been broken into! She calmed down but it took alot of work and chewed up socks! The woman that walked my dog was not a "professional" dog walker, that is, she wasn't bonded, wasn't certified in animal first aid, etc; but she loved the dogs she walked and she was a very honest person. I was lucky.

My second Pitbull, Bonnie, another shelter rescue (Bridget passed when she was nearly 15yrs old) is quite calm when left alone. She doesn't get into anything. Her situation was different than Bridget's. Bonnie was abused and used for forced breeding and fighting. She was found in an urban park starving and tied to a tree with puncture wounds around her head, neck and forepaws. Although she has come a long way in getting along with other dogs through specialized behavioral training, I doubt we would ever be able to have another dog to keep her company. I suspect she feels "safe" in the "enclosure" of the home "away" from other dogs.

Dogs are just wonderful companions and really get you out and, depending upon the breed, get you out for long walks and hikes. I hope you are able to work something out. If you aren't sure about going to a rescue group or shelter, find a dog trainer in your area. Oftentimes, they know people who for whatever reason can't keep a dog and they may know the dog's behavior better. Although I did find the people at the municipal shelters, in spite of being overworked and seeing animals in terrible condition and abused every day, were very helpful matching a pooch with a person.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you and a very lucky dog!
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. On one hand, dogs are extremely social and extended periods of being alone will cause some dogs to act out in destructive ways, simply from being bored or because they are lonely. On the other hand, many dogs do very well alone while their owner works - crate training is especially helpful in this. So it is somewhat dependent on the temperament of your dog. Doggy daycare is a great option if that is feasible for you.

Consider adopting an older dog with an established personality and less of the annoying puppiness :smile: I love my furry buddy. We go for long walks most days, he has a yard to play in, and he sleeps at the foot of my bed. Make sure you have a reliable dog-sitter or boarder if you have to go out of town without him. That is the one thing about my pup - he makes going away for.the weekend much more complicated than it was when we just had a cat!

This pretty well sums it up. My first dog (as an adult) was a pitbull from a local municipal shelter. She was a very loving, great with people and other dogs. I used crate training initially, but I also had a dog walker come in daily for about 30 minutes. Bridget was still prone to separation anxiety. She got into alot of stuff (this behavior nearly always occurs immediately after departure of the beloved Mom and or Dad humans), including the refrigerator, my drawers etc. Once when I came home, I thought the place had been broken into! She calmed down but it took alot of work and chewed up socks! The woman that walked my dog was not a "professional" dog walker, that is, she wasn't bonded, wasn't certified in animal first aid, etc; but she loved the dogs she walked and she was a very honest person. I was lucky.

My second Pitbull, Bonnie, another shelter rescue (Bridget passed when she was nearly 15yrs old) is quite calm when left alone. She doesn't get into anything. Her situation was different than Bridget's. Bonnie was abused and used for forced breeding and fighting. She was found in an urban park starving and tied to a tree with puncture wounds around her head, neck and forepaws. Although she has come a long way in getting along with other dogs through specialized behavioral training, I doubt we would ever be able to have another dog to keep her company. I suspect she feels "safe" in the "enclosure" of the home "away" from other dogs.

Dogs are just wonderful companions and really get you out and, depending upon the breed, get you out for long walks and hikes. I hope you are able to work something out. If you aren't sure about going to a rescue group or shelter, find a dog trainer in your area. Oftentimes, they know people who for whatever reason can't keep a dog and they may know the dog's behavior better. Although I did find the people at the municipal shelters, in spite of being overworked and seeing animals in terrible condition and abused every day, were very helpful matching a pooch with a person.

I love my pitties as well!! They are a great breed! So many in shelters now and unfortunately because of a bad rap they dont get adopted!
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Simples. Get TWO dogs. :wink:

^^ This
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options

I love my pitties as well!! They are a great breed! So many in shelters now and unfortunately because of a bad rap they dont get adopted!

I could go on and on about the breed but that is for another forum! I collect pitbull "stuff" -- they were very popular at the turn of the century in the US -- they were used in advertisements, they were the symbol of American neutrality during WW1, they were often depicted on Valentine's day cards ( !). How can anyone not love a dog with a heart shaped head and a BIG smile?!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I don't think your being selfish at alllll. Yes get a doggie. Theres plenty that need good homes. We ended up getting a companion for our Hyedee (Our first Pom). So she doesn't stay home by herself. We leave one TV on, when we go to work. And right when we get home... they are both ready for attention and their kisses. Usually play ball right away, or a walk in the evenings... Or both. One of ours is the ball queen. Shes really good with catching the ball, and she loves it. If it was her choice shed play ball 24 hrs a day. :happy:
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    blah blah blah ......ther blues or trip hop.

*yawn*

Thank you for your mature, well-thought-out rebuttal. Being smug and dismissive is something people do when they're convinced of their own superiority on a particular issue...but they just can't convince anybody else. Well played. :)

If your dog possessed the cognitive abilities of a person, then leaving on the BBC or giving him a rubix cube might suffice...but he's a dog.
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Get a dog sitter. We have a trusted neighbor stop by mid-day when we are working 12hr shifts. We also leave the TV on. She likes to watch TV. And we make it up to her on the our days off by going for super long walks.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It is really hard for a puppy, an adult dog can deal with it better. Being in an apartment all day long and not able to go out to relieve themselves is hard on the animal. If one was able to have a doggie door with access to a fenced yard, is a much better situation. Not everyone is able to have such a situation.
  • Joniboloney
    Joniboloney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I volunteer for a dog rescue group and we really do not recommend people who are gone 8 hrs a day to get a puppy. At that age they need frequent bathroom breaks, alot of human interaction, and socialization with other dogs. However, there are SO many sweet older dogs that are in need of a loving home that are homeless through no fault of their own. And when I say older, I don't mean ready to kick the bucket. I'm talking 2yrs and up. At 2, they are out of the crazy puppy stage and and have so much to give. If you have a good rescue group in your area, they will match-make you with a dog that best fits your life style. Good luck
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Heres an update and the conclusion to this thread really.

So i would like to introduce my new friend, Danny.

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

Danny is a 3 year old Welsh Sheep-Dog who was adopted from Phoenix Dog Rescue in Warrington. Danny had lost his home when his owner was taken away from him by a terminal illness. He had to endure several weeks alone in the house before spending several months in kennels, an enivronment he was not doing well in.

I contacted the rescue along with several others and dog related charities to explain my circumstances and what i can and cannot offer, all agreed that i had a suitable lifestyle that would benefit a young adult dog.

Danny is left alone while i work with a walk at lunch and regular visits from a paid dog walker, the maximum he is unsupervised is about 4 hours and he has plenty of brain work toys to keep him busy.

Its all a bit new for him but we are bonding well and he has already settled into his new routine.

I dont regret the decision for a second, i dont view him as suffering at home when i am not there and i know that i can offer him a life that is everything a dog could want or need, regular exercise, safety, care and love.

IMG_1488.JPG
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have three dogs. Jack Dalmation 14 yrs, Prince Belguim Shepherd 6 yrs and Daisy Dalmation 3 yrs. I live in a rural area and have an enclosed garden. When I go to work I just leave the back door open so they have free access to the garden. Jack usually sleeps all day and the other two play all day. I normally get up early and take them all for a five mile walk before I go to work. I just leave them plenty of water and no food. I feed my dogs twice a day. They have a breakfast and an evening meal. They are all fit and healthy.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    We both work full time and my 2 dogs can be home for up to 12 hours alone at a time. We got our 2nd dog to keep our first company.

Before anyone judges me, we removed our 1st dog from a home where he was locked outside in an alleyway, no grass or garden, 24/7 rain or sun or snow, he was overweight because he was never walked and he was fed leftovers and scraps. A family member of my partner's 'rescued' him from the shelter, for 1 reason only and that was because she wanted to lose weight and thought if she had a dog she'd have to walk it, well she didn't

So as soon as we bought our house and had a garden, I went and took the dog, she didn't even care. We got him fit and healthy and happy and then got him a friend, who we rescued from the shelter. They are treated like our children, they sleep in our bedroom, they are fed good food and exercised and cuddled and loved and they are happy. And they are together while we are in work.

So I think as long as you make up for it when you get home, give them a walk and a love and keep them company, you're not being selfish :) You should rescue a dog from the shelter, you get to bypass the training and puppy stage and they are so grateful to have somebody to adore x
  • shebrah
    shebrah Posts: 4
    Options
    RESCUE! You can save an already house trained dog at your local shelter (maybe a few issues at first). This dog will be your best friend.
    Just spend time making sure your new pal understands the ground rules, especially if you have neighbors like stuffinmuffin. Train the trainer!
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I've had my beagle for 5 years, since he was a puppy. I work 8 hour days and I work about 45 minutes away from my house. I leave the house at 545 am for work and I don't get back til around 345 pm. My fiance works from 7 am to 8-9pm everyday. The dog is there alone for about 8-9 hours a day, and he's perfectly fine. I make sure he has water and food everyday and plenty of toys and I turn the TV on in the living room for him and the radio on in the kitchen. Just be sure, when you are home to pay attention to the dog and take him outside to play, etc. More than likely the dog will sleep most of the time you are gone.

This! You and I have the same schedule!
  • tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Danny is GORGEOUS! I'm glad you decided to adopt :)

Have fun with your new pal!
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Here are my rescue dogs, Dave, and his pillow Lilly :) They are crazy about each other. Dave is 8 and Lilly is 2 x

davlil.jpg