"Big" clohes-what are you doing with them?

Options

Replies

• ohiomom0503
    ohiomom0503 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've given away a lot of clothes to a girlfriend of mine who had a baby last summer and is having a hard time losing the weight. I now have another huge pile to get rid of!
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Well, just in case I ever get pregnant again, it makes sense to banish them to the attic. So far I've only backslid one size and then sent them right back up to the attic. But I don't ever want to have to BUY that size again.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just gave all my Winter clothes away to a friend at church instead of packing them away when I brought out my Summer things, and I plan to do the same with my Summer clothes next fall. Most of the things I gave away still fit (I have already given away the things that are too big) but I got rid of them anyway. I am not going to be that size next winter, and I am not going to be that size ever again, so why keep them! I don't look at as money down the drain. I look at as an investment in my health and well-being.
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    This is the 2nd time in 10 years I've lost this much weight and I'm giving mine to goodwill. I will NEVER be at this size again so I will never need them and I know there are others out there who do need them. I tried keeping some of my favorites but they wouldn't look good altered and I can't wear them anymore so they go too :-)
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've been donating them. I don't want to see that size again.
  • djg0418
    djg0418 Posts: 35
    Options
    You could have a seamstress take them in for you so they'll fit you! That's a thought! :happy:
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    saving some of them to make a patchwork quilt! a few pairs of jeans and some of the more brightly colored shirt and dresses that are too worn to give to charity will get cut up into 4x4 patches and i will make a lovely quilt out of them. :)

the rest go to charity, probably donated to my husband's church.
  • Katniss93
    Options
    Well first off congrats on loosing so much weight!!! And I have had that problem before, If I really love an item but it doesn't fit I keep it (but only the one I really love the rest I give to good will) to remind me of where I was and where I am now. It reminds me of the hard work I have done to get to where I am and that I don't ever want it to fit again.
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'd hold on to a few of your favorite items - the just incase stash... I lost a ton of weight than thanks to law school stress I put it back on... Im working on ditching it again (I'm down about 30 pounds again since I started 3 yrs ago)... but at a minimum hold onto some jeans... nothing is more insulting than having to buy the next size or two UP in jeans & they are sooooo expensive
  • ShannonTodd
    ShannonTodd Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Donate to Goodwill. I save some of my old t-shirts and give them to my DS' to wear as sleep shirts.
  • steflbrown
    steflbrown Posts: 168
    Options
    I donated all my "too big" clothes as soon as I could fit comfortably in the next size smaller. I try not too buy too much in any given size until I reach my goal weight, but can't walk around naked haha.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    give them to me! I am bigger than you and then you won't have to worry about what I do with them when I lose weight!
  • carameldelightonly1
    carameldelightonly1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Definitely good will....I use to give them to the battered women's shelter but we don't have a local shelter so they go to goodwill...definitely don't want to hold on to the past....
  • tracyjoys
    tracyjoys Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have been taking my nicer clothes to a local consignment shop and selling them. I need the cash to help subsidize a new wardrobe, honestly! The clothes that the consigner doesn't want I have been either passing down to friends that are also shrinking as "in-between" sizes, or I've been donating them to local charities; Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc.
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have given them away to people that need them or donated them to the Goodwill--I'm most certainly not hanging onto them as I never want to wear them again or have them lurking around!
  • ldukes52487
    ldukes52487 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As you loose the weight and your clothes size shrinks what are you doing with your "bigger" size clothes? Keeping them for the just-in-case-I-get-back-to-that-size again? Selling them? Giving them away? Just curious since THIS IS where I am right now. And I am having a hard time with some of my "favorite" items, even though they are a size 20 and I now wear a size 14. I have a jacket on today that DOES NOT FIT, since its way to big but I don't want to get rid of it either. I paid WAY TOO much to for it, and my other dress jackets, to just give them away. I do have a consignment shop here in in town that I could sale them at but I know I will NEVER get close to what I paid for them. I don't want to "hang on to them" either because to me that is just setting myself up for failure. So I am struggling with what to do with them. I have probably about 30 items in my closet, if not more, that are too big for me. Why am I having a hard time with this???

You could always try to get your favorites tailored.... it's cheaper than buying an entirely new wardrobe and donate the rest. I'm giving them to my mom and sister who are about the same size.
  • Sabrina8338
    Options
    I gave 2 bags to my sister over the weekend. I used to give her clothes that had become too small for me and she made a snide remark about it when I brought them into her house. I very nicely said 'Actually, they're all too big for me now, so I thought of you." My brother nearly choked on his drink because of the look on her face. HAHAHA That felt amazing!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I have donated over 15 bags of clothes in 5 different sizes so far. I just started giving the clothes to a girlfriend that is also on the weightloss journey but has much farther to go. Since I work in a professional office setting I have lots of clothes that are business professional and have donated these so that I can get a tax writeoff.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I put a few in a fat box and then gave a few really nice pants to my friend who is trying to loose weight and they can be a first goal for her considering she's still a couple of sizes up
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    :happy: Donating them to local thrift shops