A poll: Thoughts on tattoos on women...

Options

Replies

• AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    They can be incredibly sensual on a woman.

They can also be awful.

It depends on the tattoo, the location, and the woman.

The stigma against tattoos in the corporate world is disappearing. Many professionals have them and so long as they are either inconspicuous or "modestly seen", they aren't the liability that they used to be.
  • debobrien1
    Options
    That's exactly what I think.... How is that gonna look on an 80 year old grandma arm? :smile:
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I personally dislike tattoos in general but I would NEVER judge and if they are done tastefully especially the ones with meanings can be kind of neat. My Dad had a tattoo that said Phyllis... my mom's name. She passed away and he married a Barb and then he got very sick and lost a lot of weight and it looked horrible.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    jrboyles is speaking my mind. Tattoos are completely and utterly disgusting. What's more, I would never hire someone with visible tattoos.

Thank you for your contribution. Honest opinions are welcome! Would you mind expanding on your point?

I'm curious as to why a subjective opinion about someone's appearance matters to an employer to that degree, if all other prerequisites for that job are met - qualifications, personality, attitude, presentation and hygiene for example.

Thank you in advance. :)

I can tell you for my job, we contract to very large, very conservative countries world-wide. The whole issue is 'how will the client perceive the tat?' To keep that from being an issue when someone has to travel to foreign countries or even just within the country to some of the more conservative companies, we just are not allowed to have them. I have been with this firm for 8 years, none of my clients allowed their employees to have visible tattoos either.
  • Juxtaposie
    Options
    I LOVE tattoos. I have six of them, including a full back piece. That being said, I've never been a big fan of sleeves on women. I dunno why, it's a personal thing, I just don't like the look. I would never judge someone else for having them, and some of my good friends (females included) have stuff going on all over their arms. It's definitely not something I would ever do. On top of that, like so many others have said, it's still taboo in so many aspects of the professional workplace. I would hate to do something that would work against me later.
  • knitfastpurlyoung
    knitfastpurlyoung Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I hate to comment on threads like this. I get tired of seeing threads asking how women should act and dress and think and eat to get other people's approval.

But on the other hand... a (good) sleeve on a woman is pretty hot.

I am absolutely not asking for approval. I know what I think. I am interested in hearing a full range of opinions from others on the matter, so I would know what to expect from others.

Thanks for your input. :)
  • tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    TO each his own! I have one on the inside of my left ankle. Very tame in most opinions. I turned 40 in January and want to get a small one on my back/shoulder blade. Small like the size of a quarter. I was 23 when i got my first one and kept it hidden from my dad for YEARS! My husband has NONE, will never have one and doesn't really want me to get another one.

My mother-in-law is one of those people to look down at people with a lot of visible tattoos. I like to remind her that i have one and does that make me a bad person or bad mother?? She shuts up then. A lot of people still 'judge a book by it's cover'.

When i first got mine a friend asked me how i would think of it when i am 55 or 60. I think "I had a lot of fun when i was in my 20s, no cares, etc. " Nice reminder of those days.
    :drinker:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    This is completely anecdotal, but I find people who are heavily inked (sleave, etc.) usually do so due to some kind of emotional baggage and insecurity. A drive to be non-confromist, because conformity was never really an option. Small markings that have a serious personal meaning are differnet, but seeing people with a Superman is tatto is painful.

In terms tattoos on women, anything in bulk is gross. Women are the beautiful part of the species, shouldn't mess with their skin. Growth zones should be avoided. Nothing looks worse than a stretched, then shrunk tattoo.

I have no emotional baggage... but I am looking to get my sleeve done after the weight loss. I like japanese art and want it on my arm, simple as that!

This is completely anecdotal, but I find poeple who dont have display pictures on this site usually have some emotional baggage and insecurities.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my tattoos and I don't care if other people don't.

"The only difference between Tattooed People and Non-Tattooed People is —- Tattooed People don’t care if you’re NOT tattooed"

:bigsmile:
  • bossymomd
    bossymomd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't care for tattoos that are so close together that you have to stare at a persons arm or whatever to see what it is.....that's not art and can be uncomfortable for the viewer and the person with the tattoo. Do it with class, nicely sized tattoos that have beautiful detail and can be understood by whoever is looking at them is, in my opinion, is better than a bunch of muddled closely connected tattoos that are just covering you up and not enhancing your look. jmho!
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I love them when they are done with class & grace & style. If I didn't work in such a "Coporate America" environment I would go full sleeve. I've got my right shoulder front, back & top done. I'm thinking about going 1/4 or 1/2 sleeve so I can still cover when needed.

wpid-Best-Sleeve-Tattoo-Designs3.jpg
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My husband has sleeves and they are sexy as heck...to me :)

I would love one but I think it would stress me out knowing that they were visible to everyone else...LOL...I have 6 currently and want lots more but I also work as an office manager and I don't think my boss would really mind but I do know he doesn't really care for them.

Either way I would love a sleeve and I think certain women can pull the look off and look very sexy! Besides when I'm 80 I could care less what it looks like...I'm sure I will be old and crotchity like every other old lady and not give a rats patooty! haha
  • cglyfer
    cglyfer Posts: 119
    Options
    I have learned in my many years that people are going to judge no matter what you do...gain weight people judge...lose weight people judge...wear "comfy" clothing out people judge...wear a suit and tie...you get the picture...

Most places have a organizational policy as for hiring and it applies to everyone...so there is a standard that everyone must meet...

I think that tattoos are like freedom of speach...they are your expressions...say what you want!!! As long as you stay within your company guidelines there is no limit...

Just my $.02 worth!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    This is completely anecdotal, but I find people who are heavily inked (sleave, etc.) usually do so due to some kind of emotional baggage and insecurity. A drive to be non-confromist, because conformity was never really an option. Small markings that have a serious personal meaning are differnet, but seeing people with a Superman is tatto is painful.

In terms tattoos on women, anything in bulk is gross. Women are the beautiful part of the species, shouldn't mess with their skin. Growth zones should be avoided. Nothing looks worse than a stretched, then shrunk tattoo.

I know I'm only one person - and also I'm note heavily tattooed - but once I've saved up for my sleeve I will be - and the only reason I want one is cos I think they look cool.

It isn't to make up for my bad childhood or whatever. It's purely aesthetic.
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have a female friend who is COVERED in tattoos from head to foot. Even her neck and every single finger is tattooed. While its waaaay too much for me, (I have just 3) she can pull it off. She's beautiful and the tattoos (in my opinion) just make her look sort of exotic.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    The reality is, though, that having visible body modifications will affect one's employment opportunities.
    This depends entirely on what employment you take... ;)
    It affects the opportunities out there, regardless of which path one might pursue.

I have a supervisor position with the federal government and I have never once been asked to cover mine up.

I work in medical, and I know many people who have been asked to cover theirs. Certain surgeons will refuse to work with you in the OR if they don't approve of your tattoos.

As far as stigmas -- I think nowadays the stigma is less based solely on the tattoos and more on the person's overall appearance and attitude. I live in rural Wisconsin, and I am tattooed, however I have never received negative looks or feedback because I generally dress and carry myself very conservatively.

However, my loud, outgoing husband is covered in tattoos, has stretched lobes and multiple piercings. He dresses casually -- Dropkick Murphy's tee and baggy shorts -- and he has actually had people approach him and demand to know why he would 'do that to himself'.
  • loseslarge
    loseslarge Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I have no emotional baggage... but I am looking to get my sleeve done after the weight loss. I like japanese art and want it on my arm, simple as that!

This is completely anecdotal, but I find poeple who dont have display pictures on this site usually have some emotional baggage and insecurities.

My lack of pic is more a function of desired anonymity. I don't facebook, twitter or do any of that BS. Its a work thing more than anything.I joined this site becasue it was a decent app and a few times a topic has caught my interest so I posted.

I would agree that employment opportunities seem to be inversely proportional to number of visible tattoos. I have a friend who just did a full throat tatoo, and some facial. It creates issues for him - including dating.
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I just very recently got a tattoo and i think its beautiful. it connects my to my family and heritage and I absolutely love art and tattooing is my favorite permanent art form.

547768_423557164325124_100000125315418_1812844_991510573_n.jpg

Love it!
  • cowchick4_fun
    Options
    i so agree with you. i have tats of my own and 1 i designed my self with my brother. all mine have meaning to them so its not a tat of meaning nothing it all has meaning. and all can be covered but 1 small one i have between my thumb and my pointer finger and that you cant even notice unless your staring at my hand. art is beautiful and i love it. it lets one express to others of who they really are and in my opinion if others want to judge because of what one has on or looks like then so be it. they should be the ones to look in the mirror and criticize their own self. i know everyone has been judged at one point or another in their life and i dont think anyone likes it. my brother does tatoos and he got me into them. i love them and if thats what one loves then so be it. for those of you that dont care for them great thats who you are but dont go around thinking people are trashy and dark or not a good person because thats how they express who they are. i love tats and as the saying goes you get 1 tatoo no matter how big or how small you are addicted to them.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I am interested in hearing what people think about a full-sleeve tattoo on a girl.

My husband surprised me a month or so ago when he said that he thought it would be hot if I got a sleeve (or half-sleeve). I was just casually mentioning to him that I had a few tattoos that I wanted to have done. I don't think I would have the guts to do it but it was nice to hear.