Am I the only Virgin here?

Options

Replies

• PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I lost my virginity last year [when I was 23]. I waited because I wanted to.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Because virginity is a social construct used to keep women oppressed. Virginity isn't everything people make it to be. All it is is never having had sex. That's it. Doing so doesn't make anyone more or less virtuous than the next person.

Virginity does not oppress women. In fact, I'd consider the push for women to give up their virginity at the drop of a hat to be oppressive. I mean, consider the consequences. And, yes, we have options, but I'm still waiting for unplanned pregnancies and rampant STDs to be a thing of the past due to all these options we have.

Come on, women! Own your bodies. Utilize self-control. It's funny that self-control is okay (and encouraged) when it comes to giving into donuts or french fries, but it's considered oppressive when it comes to a potentially life-altering decision like a one-night-stand.

I respect all virgins and responsible non-virgins alike. But I get irritated with people who chase after pleasure without concern for consequences. This includes the obese who won't lift a finger to change their habits or the sexually promiscuous who think birth control and condoms (or abstinence) are too much of a hassle.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with being a virgin, nor is there anything wrong with being single. As long as you're happy and healthy, who cares what anyone else thinks.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    28 and still a pretty happy virgin. It's a choice I've made, not because I'm religious (which I'm not, I'm a proud atheist also), but because I'm not ready to deal with the responsibility that comes with sex.

If ur an atheist wouldnt u want to be knocking boots as soon as possible since in your belief system (or lackthere of) there are literally no repurcussions to anything u do in this life? Just trying to find the logic.
    I am a Christian, but I think atheists still believe in pregnancy and STDs...

lol, im sure they do, but there are ways around that. This isn't 1736.

Though many churches still think it is and seek to prevent all people from using the tools we have to prevent these things, even when these people are not their followers and are, indeed, atheists.

The church prevents NOTHING...they just lay out the case of what ok and whats not. For ahtiests, who believe in nothing they should be out there banging away and doing whatever their heat/body desires since to them there is nothing after this.

So a person's atheist (doesn't believe in a god / higher power etc) and that means they have no morals?
    I personally don't care if a person's a virgin, slept with 1, 2 or 100 people, as long as that's their choice, but to say they should be out "banging away" just because they don't believe in anything is ridiculous!

Not a virgin myself but there are tons of reasons why a person may choose not to, that is nothing to do with religion. Did you know that prior to probably around the 1960's, most people would wait until they were married before having sex. This wasn't always because of religion, but for many because they didn't see sex as something to be shared with just anybody, and should be kept for the one you choose to spend your life with. I didn't choose to wait until marriage, but I certainly wouldn't just sleep with someone purely because I was in the mood, they were sexually attractive and up for it too!

Also, there are STD's, pregnancy etc (yes there are ways to prevent it, but nothing's 100%) are you saying that a 15 year old should be out there banging away because their desires / hormones say to them they should?

Well since u said it...i dont know why an atheist would have any morals? Why not live fo rtoday and just do whatever the F you want?
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Options
    Because virginity is a social construct used to keep women oppressed. Virginity isn't everything people make it to be. All it is is never having had sex. That's it. Doing so doesn't make anyone more or less virtuous than the next person.

Virginity does not oppress women. In fact, I'd consider the push for women to give up their virginity at the drop of a hat to be oppressive. I mean, consider the consequences. And, yes, we have options, but I'm still waiting for unplanned pregnancies and rampant STDs to be a thing of the past due to all these options we have.

Come on, women! Own your bodies. Utilize self-control. It's funny that self-control is okay (and encouraged) when it comes to giving into donuts or french fries, but it's considered oppressive when it comes to a potentially life-altering decision like a one-night-stand.

I respect all virgins and responsible non-virgins alike. But I get irritated with people who chase after pleasure without concern for consequences. This includes the obese who won't lift a finger to change their habits or the sexually promiscuous who think birth control and condoms (or abstinence) are too much of a hassle.

Well said!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Well since u said it...i dont know why an atheist would have any morals? Why not live fo rtoday and just do whatever the F you want?

Because fear of the afterlife isn't the only thing that teaches right and wrong - life itself has consequences that people have to think about and consider. I don't run around knocking boots with anyone, anywhere because I worry about things like STDs, pregnancy, finding love. Religious or not, sex involves giving someone a very intimate part of who you are. Choosing to engage in sex doesn't mean we don't respect our bodies. Being an atheist doesn't mean you throw caution to the wind and "do whatever you want" - just because you don't believe in god doesn't mean that people can't spread rumors or legitimate consequences can't happen. These questions are just laughable. Morals are about being a good person, and religion isn't the only place you get that. It's called being responsible for your choices and thinking through how they affect you and others.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options

I agree!!!
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Options
    28 and still a pretty happy virgin. It's a choice I've made, not because I'm religious (which I'm not, I'm a proud atheist also), but because I'm not ready to deal with the responsibility that comes with sex.

If ur an atheist wouldnt u want to be knocking boots as soon as possible since in your belief system (or lackthere of) there are literally no repurcussions to anything u do in this life? Just trying to find the logic.
    I am a Christian, but I think atheists still believe in pregnancy and STDs...

lol, im sure they do, but there are ways around that. This isn't 1736.

Though many churches still think it is and seek to prevent all people from using the tools we have to prevent these things, even when these people are not their followers and are, indeed, atheists.

The church prevents NOTHING...they just lay out the case of what ok and whats not. For ahtiests, who believe in nothing they should be out there banging away and doing whatever their heat/body desires since to them there is nothing after this.

OH MY GOD!! Just because someone is an atheist doesn't mean that they're animals. For the record I am not an atheist, but I don't see the point in bashing them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I know plenty of atheists that are more morally intact than some Christians.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If one doesn't go around bragging about it, there will be no criticism.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I was a virgin once.
  • killingtheantagonist
    killingtheantagonist Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 21 and still a virgin.
    And I have no problem with it.
    Not that I'm waiting for marriage exactly, but it will happen when it happens.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I was a virgin til marriage, by choice. It was a weird choice to a lot of people, but as long as I didn't expect the same from they, they could have cared less.

All this anti-atheist and anti-christian talk is such garbage. Grow up people. If you claim to be a christian, go ahead and act like one!
    I was raised in a very conservative home as far as religious beliefs go. Very very conservative, and yet I never once heard in my church or family that it was OK to go around and treat people like dirt because they don't share your same convictions. Quite the opposite, actually.
    It's just another excuse to be intolerant, and intolerance towards Christians as a whole is just as bad as the people saying atheists are moral-less savages. (some serious paraphrasing there)
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I was a virgin till 25, thought I'd wait for marriage but didn't make it. Only been with one guy though.
    I'm glad because I don't know if I want to get married.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    wow... I was just asking...

Curiosity wins out over fear, a lot with me, and when I become curious about something I research it. The only way to research that kind of question was to ask it.

And for the record, I have more female friends, than I do guy friends. Many of whom are attractive... and one of which, have openly said, that if I didn't take a stance against it, she would leave her boyfriend, at the time, for me. Not what I want....

My choice to remain a virgin, has little baring from my Christianity, just a bonus, but more on my own life.

Christ spoke, "Love your neighbor as you love yourself" So, I love everyone, not in the lust sex manner... but in the, if you need a shirt... take mine, need a ride, Where too? Need arms to help move, I got wedsndays off... Need a shoulder to cry on... mine is dry. I don't care if you pay me back ether. That is me.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Good for you. It's your personal choice and nobody should sway you one way or another. When it happens, it happens. I applaud you for your strength and determination.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

Because fear of the afterlife isn't the only thing that teaches right and wrong - life itself has consequences that people have to think about and consider. I don't run around knocking boots with anyone, anywhere because I worry about things like STDs, pregnancy, finding love. Religious or not, sex involves giving someone a very intimate part of who you are. Choosing to engage in sex doesn't mean we don't respect our bodies. Being an atheist doesn't mean you throw caution to the wind and "do whatever you want" - just because you don't believe in god doesn't mean that people can't spread rumors or legitimate consequences can't happen. These questions are just laughable. Morals are about being a good person, and religion isn't the only place you get that. It's called being responsible for your choices and thinking through how they affect you and others.

Well said!

iam_thatdude: If some atheists want to go and do whatever the F they want, great for them! As long as they're not hurting anybody else, I can't say anything negative about that.
    You can't tell everybody what they should be doing though, and speaking as if it's somehow weird of them to choose not to do something just because they don't believe in a God to help keep them on the straight and narrow. People have their own minds you know, and what's great for some, may not be another person's cup of tea (sleeping around)
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options

Agree!!

Well said!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    A 27-yr. old virgin? Wow. Alright.

Whatever floats your boat. Or...keeps it in the dock, I guess.

What does my age have to do with anything?

Well, if it weren't unusual the movie "The 40 Year Old Virgin" wouldn't have been made. It's unusual to get to that age and still be a virgin. Very unusual in fact. Back when I was in college the queen made a thing out of Diana's virginity and connecting that to Charles marrying Diana, and according to the queen, twenty year old virgins were hard to find. Diana and I were roughly the same age (I'm actually two years older), and I was a virgin as well, and I remember thinking it odd that she would think a twenty year old virgin was unusual; but it was and is.

That's the only reason it has anything to do with it.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    my point is that its all bogus.
  • insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was a virgin up until marriage, at age 23. I have an older cousin who I believe is 27 or 28 and she is still a virgin & happily single. She doesn't seem to care one way or the other if she ever gets married, which is fine by me.

I think if you have no desire to be in a relationship, that is your business. You shouldn't be judged on it.
This discussion has been closed.