Why do people ignore friend requests?

Options

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I ignore. I have a lot of friends at the moment, and I am open to having more, just want to know why you want to be friends. Even if it is as small as, you seem interesting, you read my food diary, etc. I just want to know you bothered to look at my profile before requesting me. (And you aren't a zombie friend requester. :D)
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I am a bewbie shaking, kiss blowing, *kitten* slapping b@&*h... I'm not everyone's cup of tea.

I didn't know they had tea like that... Is that like a spicy green tea?

No, its not actually I don't do spicy... It does come extra hot...without a warning. I like living on the edge :wink:
    You like extra hot tea?? If so, feel free to send a FR.. and as the daily special for today... You don't even need to include a message. Now those are some tasty apples

I'm more of a protein shakes and oats kinda guy over hot tea. You have a special coming up for a protein shake smoothie?

I didn't even think about a protein shake or smoothie. I think that you are onto something!!! This expansion will broaden my customer base. Genius! I suppose you want some sort of credit or profit sharing?
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I reject them because I am tired of being treated as a sex object by hot slutty women.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I reject them because I am tired of being treated as a sex object by hot slutty women.

How dare they body-shame and objectify you like that. I learned today on MFP that if you call a woman attractive but say she needs to pull up her pants because her underwear is showing that you are body shaming them all of a sudden..
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I am a bewbie shaking, kiss blowing, *kitten* slapping b@&*h... I'm not everyone's cup of tea.

No, its not actually I don't do spicy... It does come extra hot...without a warning. I like living on the edge :wink:
    You like extra hot tea?? If so, feel free to send a FR.. and as the daily special for today... You don't even need to include a message. Now those are some tasty apples

I'm more of a protein shakes and oats kinda guy over hot tea. You have a special coming up for a protein shake smoothie?

I didn't even think about a protein shake or smoothie. I think that you are onto something!!! This expansion will broaden my customer base. Genius! I suppose you want some sort of credit or profit sharing?

It's all good, you can have 100% credit! My life bank is full :-)
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    This is not my facebook.. here, I will add anyone and delete any freaks... so far no freaks
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options

How dare they body-shame and objectify you like that. I learned today on MFP that if you call a woman attractive but say she needs to pull up her pants because her underwear is showing that you are body shaming them all of a sudden..

I saw that you pig! btw, where is this gym?
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    When you hit around 200 or so, it will make sense.

When I hit 50 it started making sense...I like to converse with my freinds list. I will not go over 100, I do delete, I accept about 10% of freind requests that come my way. Plus my profile is private.

This is my journey..and honestly ...I'll take it with who I want.
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options

It's all good, you can have 100% credit! My life bank is full :-)

Genius and generous. Everyone should FR right now! :)
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    I accept friends and try to offer them support. I am on here everyday, but don't have my information pop-up on the feed because I get tired of empty "good job!"s and "nice burn!"s. That will get me kicked off of a lot of people's friends lists because they don't think I'm active. I don't have it on my profile, but if you don't send me a message and I can't trace where you found me, I ignore it.

I can see it both ways on why someone would add everyone and why someone would be more selective. It's a personal preference thing.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Please fill out this questionnaire:

A. Political Affiliation
    B. Blood Type
    C. Am I Nerd?
    D. Cats or Dogs
    E. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop?
    F. Do you eat your exercise calories?
    G. Will lifting make women bulky?

After you fill out that very informative survey I can properly answer your question.
    I like surveys. I know no one asked me, but can I answer anyway? I am one of those crazy people who actually will talk to telemarketers on the phone:

A. Liberal
    B. AB+ (I am the universal receiver, which makes me quite rare and, therefore, special)
    C. I circle typos in books and have a budget planned out - by week - for the next five years.
    D. Human beans. Better than either cats or dogs and easier to house train
    E. 832. I know this for a fact. I counted, sent away to the company, and got a certificate from them.
    F. Sometimes I drink them instead.
    G. Obviously it will. Have you seen how masculine and bulky I am after lifting weights??? I mean, my waist (on my 5'10" frame) is an oh-so-massive 26 inches.

Yeah, I really need to go to bed now...
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    Most people don't walk up to strangers on the street, point at them and say "WE'RE FRIENDS NOW!" and I find it reasonable that someone would prefer some sort of polite contact before hand.
    [/quotet

that was awesome! hahahaha
  • Pepsi_addict
    Pepsi_addict Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'll add anyone that asks. I figure the more support, the better!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Based on the answers given, the general consensus why your FR may not be accepted seems to be-

< 50 friends, and "I add everyone, no message necessary"

50 - 100 friends, a little of both -> "no message required" or 'message required"

> 100 friends, and "please leave a message, because I already have a ton of people of support, and I can't just add every single person on MFP."
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Based on the answers given, the general consensus why your FR may not be accepted seems to be-

< 50 friends, and "I add everyone, no message necessary"

50 - 100 friends, a little of both -> "no message required" or 'message required"

> 100 friends, and "please leave a message, because I already have a ton of people of support, and I can't just add every single person on MFP."

My limit is more around the 40 mark. I use the word "friend" in the traditional sense. I suppose I could have hundreds of acquaintances, but I don't call my MFP'ers acquaintances, they're friends. I simply don't have enough time to treat more people in a way that real friends should be treated. I'm not trying to simply collect numbers.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If someone you'd never seen before, walked up to you in the street one day and said "Hi, Will you please be my friend" would you say yes?

If, when sending a friend request, someone can't be bothered to write a few lines about why they'd like to be a friend to me, and without some sort of common ground I can't see the point in saying "yes".

Edited to quote Drawberry who said the same as me but, earlier in the tread and much more succinctly!
    Most people don't walk up to strangers on the street, point at them and say "WE'RE FRIENDS NOW!" and I find it reasonable that someone would prefer some sort of polite contact before hand.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I like to know who I'm adding. If they're someone who encourages unhealthy behavior or they're a jerk or they're adding just to claim more "friends", then I don't want them around.

Also, I didn't actually come here for the community. I came here for the calorie counting tool. The community was an added bonus.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    If someone you'd never seen before, walked up to you in the street one day and said "Hi, Will you please be my friend" would you say yes?

If, when sending a friend request, someone can't be bothered to write a few lines about why they'd like to be a friend to me, and without some sort of common ground I can't see the point in saying "yes".

Edited to quote Drawberry who said the same as me but, earlier in the tread and much more succinctly!
    Exactly. I don't have many friends on here, I have an active social life offline and so regretfully I don't have time to support my friends on here in the way I'd like to. I support my friends.

If I am online one evening and contribute to several lively threads, then wake up the next morning to a dozen or more friend requests, I MIGHT add the one person who has bothered to say something about what we might have in common. By sending me a friend request you are essentially asking that I spend time and effort on supporting you. Give me a reason for wanting to do that for you.
    If you can't send a simple message with your request, what makes me think you'll interact with me?
    Exactly, and that's especially true if your profile and / or diary is closed.

I'm not here to be popular, or to be used as a free resource for hundreds of members of this site.

Right now I have a large number of outstanding requests, none of which have any sort of message attached, not even a single word. I haven't refused them because I have at the back of my mind that I could look at their profiles and see whether we have anything in common, but realistically I don't have time to go through them all.
  • MrsMxxx
    MrsMxxx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm shy and private. I have a small, but excellent group of friends here, and that makes me happy. Do you want me to be unhappy or something?

Depends...

Please fill out this questionnaire:

A. Political Affiliation
    B. Blood Type
    C. Am I Nerd?
    D. Cats or Dogs
    E. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop?
    F. Do you eat your exercise calories?
    G. Will lifting make women bulky?

After you fill out that very informative survey I can properly answer your question.

;-)

Just kidding, I mean you no harm :-D

LOL!!
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! I've never ignored or rejected a friend request - I think it's pretty obvious what the person's after, since we're all on the same journey here! :)