Why do people ignore friend requests?

Options

Replies

• AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I dont like everyone in RL and I dont like everyone on here. I dont like having hundreds of friends in RL and I dont like having hundreds on here. I dont really see the problem - I dont expect everyone to like me either - I do expect a bit of a chance and some manners but really a minimum.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Just because this site is for "support" does not mean we have to add someone that sends us a request. Im not going to add someone I have nothing in commen with because this place is supposed to be all unicorn farts and rainbows
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Well you've had six pages of explanations, but not responded to any of them.

It is precisely that lack of interaction that is why so many people like to have a message with friend requests.

Love this.

A friend request with no message is like someone in real life walking up next to you during a conversation and not saying a word. It's weird.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I try and use the same etiquette online as I'd use anywhere else. In regards to friend requests, I wouldn't walk up to a stranger on the street and say "Hey wanna be my friend even though I've never seen or talked to you before?". If I'm adding a friend I want them to be a friend not some random person.
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The only thing that ever irritated me was one girl, made this huge long thread about her amazing results I added her and messages her about what an inspiring story she had and I wanted some tips on how she her back in such great shape... She accepted my request then when I was looking on her profile she had " if you can't comment daily on my status, food diary or weight loss I will delete you" so she wanted people to praise her and give her props on everything. Still she never answered my question and never responded to the other 200 people. She just wanted to be told how amazing she was. Yet had zero interest in being supportive .
  • elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I reject them because I am tired of being treated as a sex object by hot slutty women.

So let me get this straight! You added me as friend, because I'm not hot enough, or not slutty enough! Just wondering....
  • sammyjowedeking
    Options
    For all the negative people:

I never said that you must add people or im "getting on to you" by saying its stupid not to accept friend requests. I honestly wanted to tknow the reason and some of you have great reasons such as not wanting to add men because of other discussions they may bring up or only wanting to add people like you like moms.

And Im sorry that I have apparently offended people by not messaging each of you back BUT I posted this before I went to bed last night and I do have work today so I am sure I will get back with you tonight :)

And for all the lovelies that added me, I accepted.

And FYI: I never claimed that I will respond to every post someone posts and honestly if you expect someone to do that, no wonder you dont add people because no one is perfect and no one has the time to do that everyday.

Just saying
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I am a friendly person but you only have so much time in the day. There are people on here I added and then deleted due to lack of interaction, it was all one way. I like to be supportive and comment as much as possible and more than "wtg!". When I see that on people's statuses it's clear they have nothing more to say and may not even have looked at the detail, it's almost a mindless knee-jerk reaction to any positive event (under cals for example), and in fact they could have only eaten 300 cals and needed to be asked if they're ok - but the people with too many friends would never notice that.

I keep my friends on here to people who are likeminded, and are in this for the long term. I spend a fair amount of time each day looking and commenting on my News Feed. I just couldn't do that meaningfully if I had 100+ friends. If I add people and after a certain amount of time we just don't click or have anything in common, then I delete them, and they probably don't even notice - it's not mean or nasty, just realistic.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options

It is precisely that lack of interaction that is why so many people like to have a message with friend requests.

Excuse me but I put this post up last night and some people do like to sleep for work the next day. Dont get your panties in a wad. I will respond after i get off work. Im sorry princess

I like how you posted this,and then right underneath you were making comments about negitive people.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I see this place different then I see Facebook. If I don't know you from adam on facebook, I don't accept the friend request, to me Facebook is for my friends and family. Here it's a support thing, or I connected with someone on the forum. If someone adds me though I don't refuse them. I have nearly 800 friends on here, I go through them once a month, if not signed in, in a month, I delete.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

Excuse me but I put this post up last night and some people do like to sleep for work the next day. Dont get your panties in a wad. I will respond after i get off work. Im sorry princess

I believe you now have the answer as to why people ignore your friend requests. Maturity is a good thing.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Could I just mention that I think that the forums on here are an excellent way of revealing the character of other members.

In my experience people tend to attract the friends they deserve. :smile:
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I don't accept everyone because I got tired of people asking me for nekkid picture, people not logging on, me being associated with people who wound up being snotty little kids in forums........ So, yeah. I am picky. I am picky in real life about my friends, why wouldn't I be here, as well?
  • bwmiller1
    bwmiller1 Posts: 98
    Options
    I accept all. no friend left behind.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Oy.

Again? Really?

And because of this thread, I've updated my profile to request a message. I don't like being collected by someone who just wants a lot of people his or her list.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I don't accept everyone because I got tired of people asking me for nekkid picture, people not logging on, me being associated with people who wound up being snotty little kids in forums........ So, yeah. I am picky. I am picky in real life about my friends, why wouldn't I be here, as well?

I want some nekkid pictures Gale!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of peoples profiles that say, " I won't accept friend request without a message!" or " Let me know what we have in common and I might add you."

Honestly? this is a support website! Do people really think they are too good to add people? Or think to many people want to be their friend? Whats wrong with that?

Im sorry but I just don't understand. If someone wants to be my friend and needs me for support or wants some inspiration, I wont deny them. Its not like you have personal information on your profile that people could track you with like Facebook.

Can someone explain this to me?

I can.

Different people have different preferences.

Huzzah.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Because it is *my* fitnesspal. I request messages and sometimes I still don't accept. I have my reasons. I'm just some face on the internet. Why does it matter?
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    How long does it take to type a sentence, though? If you really want to befriend someone, why not say "Hi, I'm X, saw your post in Y and it was pretty cool."

Honestly, it doesn't take much.

I've recently stopped accepting friend requests without messages that are completely out of the blue. It's not that I have too many friends. Not at ALL - I'd LOVE more friends! But I try to always leave a message with my request when I add someone. It's just nice to feel like you kind of know the people you're friends with. Isn't it?

likewise, I don't get upset when people won't accept me. They don't know me, and if my profile doesn't appeal to them or they have too many friends already, why should I take that personally?
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    I don't add hipsters. That's my first rule.