Why do people ignore friend requests?

Options

Replies

• HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Great topic! :smile: I never turn anyone away, but after we are friends, if they are complainers or don't log in consistently, or never support ME in return, I delete.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Most people don't walk up to strangers on the street, point at them and say "WE'RE FRIENDS NOW!" and I find it reasonable that someone would prefer some sort of polite contact before hand.

What? I do that all the time. You mean it's not normal? Shoot!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    This is the result we get from giving out participation trophies and instilling that sense of entitlement in kids. "I don't have to do anything to earn your friendship. You are obligated to like me!"

By the way...
    this is a support website!
    Who told you that? It's a fitness website, not a support group. It's great if people want to support each other but it's not a requirement.
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    I simply like to know what makes the person want to be my friend - what do we have in common? How do we connect? I definitely have information overload between home and work (where I easily get over 300 emails a day), and I like to have friendships that are meaningful.

I have never turned down a request from someone if I know why they want to be friends. I like friends - but I find it strange to get random friend requests.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Most people don't walk up to strangers on the street, point at them and say "WE'RE FRIENDS NOW!" and I find it reasonable that someone would prefer some sort of polite contact before hand.

This made me laugh, because that's essentially how I met my best friend from college. After hearing our names called alphabetically in a row with another girl who we both had 4 classes with freshman year she walked up to me with the other girl and said, "I'm Lisa, this is Missy, we're going to be friends now." I was too stunned to protest. LOL. Ten years later we're still friends.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Have they ever had signatures enabled? That would help a lot--it would be out there instantly what your friend preferences are.

I accept all requests and don't delete unless there is a good reason to. There are some friends that never comment to me and some that often do. These are the people I feel more connected to and try to make a point to comment back to.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I'm very up front and honest about my friend requests....leave a message or be scrutinized by my existing friends....it's really more of a game I call mystery friend roulette....because this is not real life, this is a website....I would hope that you'd at least take a minute and read my profile to understand what it is you're getting into by being my friend here.....and if you don't like it, I honestly don't care. I have great friends here. I know that when I send a friend request, I will put a message on there as to why....because it's the right thing to do, and more importantly you understand that I'm not some woman collecting net fappin' creeper \m/
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I only want a few to keep up with and support. I'm pretty busy and don't spend a lot of time on here. I try to log in my own stuff every day, but sometimes that's all I have time for. I like to read of others successes, and generally try to post on those.
  • almostfortysix
    Options
    I don't add hipsters. That's my first rule.

What's a hipster?
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I will accept friends.
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm shy and private. I have a small, but excellent group of friends here, and that makes me happy. Do you want me to be unhappy or something?

Depends...

Please fill out this questionnaire:

A. Political Affiliation
    B. Blood Type
    C. Am I Nerd?
    D. Cats or Dogs
    E. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop?
    F. Do you eat your exercise calories?
    G. Will lifting make women bulky?

After you fill out that very informative survey I can properly answer your question.

;-)

A Liberal
    B Whatever the most common type is. B+ maybe?
    C Kind of
    D Both. Either. Giraffes.
    E 3
    F Usually
    G No

I eagerly await your response.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

What's a hipster?
    You've probably never heard of them.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

What's a hipster?

It really sucks when google is broken :(
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be friends with someone that I don't at least know a little something about.

Someone friends you, leaves no message, has nothing on their profile. Sorry, I'm not in the habit of collecting friends.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I accept all. no friend left behind.

But is there mandatory testing to make sure they stay on track? :P
  • BFlowers2
    BFlowers2 Posts: 50
    Options
    I add anyone...I need the support! I get it from my boyfriend now that we live together...because he is a health nut, and I have been MIA for a couple weeks because of my move and new job. But I am back at it and would welcome anyone who wants to add me at anytime! I need people to kick my butt! LOL
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    For me I want people who are on the same journey as I am or have been where I am. I find it hard to relate to someone who is 120 pounds and wants to lose 5 pounds. My struggle is being 5ft tall so I love when someone is close to my height and my weight friends me. As far as personal comments to everyone, some mornings I post one nice general one to all my friends with encouragement just so they know I am thinking of them.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

What's a hipster?

I used to not accept hipsters, then everyone else started not accepting hipsters and than kind of ruined it for us who were there first. :cry:
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I accept everyone but I'm a little leery to add people who don't include a message with their request- I clearly have it on my profile to just write SOMETHING in, and if they don't, I feel like they didn't even look over my profile at all and are adding me just to be another number on their friend's list.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

What's a hipster?

That was pretty much the best answer to that question, ever.

No but seriously, I don't add people as friends if we have nothing in common, if they don't get my inappropriate sense of humor, or if a person is easily offended. It's not that I don't support everyone's goals, it's just that my FRIENDS on this site are just that: my friends. You wouldn't randomly be friends with people you have nothing in common with or a person whose personality completely clashes with yours. Plus I don't like how impersonal it can be when you've got like 250 people on a friends list...I want my friends to each know that I'm personally rooting for them and giving advice, and I want to know that my friends are personally supporting me too, not just creeping my pics and winning the MFP popularity contest.