When guys yell out the car and honk the horn at you..

Options

Replies

• toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i feel gross, like some cheap hooker. lol unless I'm in italy because
    a) the guys are hot
    b) its practically a part of the culture to do that kind of stuff :)
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    i feel gross, like some cheap hooker. lol unless I'm in italy because
    a) the guys are hot
    b) its practically a part of the culture to do that kind of stuff :)

I love Italy, really need to go back there :-p
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I have never done this to a woman.

i have to ask though, what is the desired outcome of this action? I mean, guys are driving around and see a hot girl and honk and yell, do they think that the girl is going to be so taken with this gesture that she will approach them? do they think she'll walk over and say "take me with you?" or are they doing it just because? it doesn't seem like it would ever yield any results.

if it is an attempt to strike up a conversation, then it's just lazy. no, "hello." no, "can i buy you a drink?" no, "oh i see you're reading Keats. i enjoy his poetry as well." just "wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo baby!" then drive to the next block and try again.

it seems like a ridiculous thing to do, really... and i didn't really think it still happened all that much, but i guess it does.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    as a married woman, i love it. it doesnt happen that much, i dont really walk by myself, but when it does, i appreciate it. now if its filth no, but a whistle here and there is awesome.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Depends on if they were good looking or not ;-)
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I hate it, personally.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It's an attack on your worth as a human being, and if they yell out of the car at you, all you are is a piece of meat that they feel they can judge.

It's degrading, deplorable, and honestly, whenever I get cat-called at, I flip them the bird. They quickly change their tune to "YOU B*TCH/S*UT/W*ORE!" or whatever their feeble little minds can come up with.

It's also called "rape culture." But if I start in on this, I'll be here for hours.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Usually this happens to me alot when walking or joggin.. and a guy has even went as far as to ask if I needed a ride.. But I pointed at my running shoes and my clothes and said "No, Im working out.."
    TO ME THIS IS NOT FLATTERY, ITS FREAKIN ANNOYING IS WHAT IT IS!
    It makes me sometimes not even want to go out for a run, now I just listen to my headphones super loud.. So, if they yell at me, i just dont hear them...
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to yell is "hey you want some fries with that shake"

xD
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    I'm flattered. I'll usually smile and wave back too, ha.
    It happens if I'm outside at work and checking the grounds for trash, taking a walk, etc.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I find it flattering when they are attractive, insulting when they aren't, like "you aren't serious... Right? I could do better"

Yeah I'm an *kitten*.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If that ever happened to me, I would blush profusely and be secretly grateful.

No one *ever* looks at me in real life.
    They may not be yelling, but I seriously have a hard time believing that no one *ever* looks at you.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Girls pull the same shenanigans if they're with their friends and some hunk of a guy is jogging or whatnot. It's not just the guys who are guilty.

With that said I think your reaction has a lot to do with how attractive said honker is
  • Sunscreenandsweat
    Sunscreenandsweat Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When it used to happen to me I thought they were like making fun of me or something Idk. I don't pay attention anymore it happens sometimes when I am on my bike. =/
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    It's not very respectful. I just ignore them and walk off. If the guys are hot... that's another story ;P
  • MystiqueASAP
    MystiqueASAP Posts: 747
    Options
    It is kind of flattering, but at the same time it is a bit trashy; actually creepy if they follow you. Like I would walk up to a car because the guy is whistling or saying "Hey babe!" or "Hey beautiful!" :grumble:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It makes me feel very conflicted, haha. Part of me thinks it's annoying and kind of gross, but the other part of me (my inner attention hog) is always flattered. I'm 50/50 on this one.

My inner attention hog wishes this would happen to her. It never does. :ohwell:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have never done this to a woman.

i have to ask though, what is the desired outcome of this action? I mean, guys are driving around and see a hot girl and honk and yell, do they think that the girl is going to be so taken with this gesture that she will approach them? do they think she'll walk over and say "take me with you?" or are they doing it just because? it doesn't seem like it would ever yield any results.

if it is an attempt to strike up a conversation, then it's just lazy. no, "hello." no, "can i buy you a drink?" no, "oh i see you're reading Keats. i enjoy his poetry as well." just "wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo baby!" then drive to the next block and try again.

it seems like a ridiculous thing to do, really... and i didn't really think it still happened all that much, but i guess it does.

THANK YOU!!!! I have wondered the same thing. And let's pretend this girl was so taken with you she says "take me home right now!" Are you sure you want this kind of girl?
  • Pink_Tina
    Pink_Tina Posts: 164
    Options
    When guys did it (when I was fit) it made me feel bad because someone yelling out a car door always makes me jump and then I end up looking like an idiot. lol I'd rather a dude just drive by and give me a thumbs-up or something 'cause the whole "Woo-hoo!" and other more vulgar exclamations are rude. I mean, I was walking with my little sister in high school so many moons ago and some dude yelled stuff I wanted to cover her ears to. Not cool. Not cool at all.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It's embarrassing and makes me feel vulnerable. Hate it