When guys yell out the car and honk the horn at you..

Options

Replies

• PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options

It's an attack on your worth as a human being, and if they yell out of the car at you, all you are is a piece of meat that they feel they can judge.

It's degrading, deplorable, and honestly, whenever I get cat-called at, I flip them the bird. They quickly change their tune to "YOU B*TCH/S*UT/W*ORE!" or whatever their feeble little minds can come up with.

It's also called "rape culture." But if I start in on this, I'll be here for hours.

I'm guessing it's more about you flipping them the bird that gets you called those names and less about them feeling the need to overpower you by raping you. If you don't like it, ignore it. But, doing something insulting is going to always bring you MORE negative attention. That's not rape culture, that's just reality.

no, it IS rape culture.

it's the belief that yelling objectifying things at a strange woman is acceptable. it's a power play. and it IS degrading.

lucky i'm fugly, because i'd be terrified if someone yelled at me when i'm walking.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

It's an attack on your worth as a human being, and if they yell out of the car at you, all you are is a piece of meat that they feel they can judge.

It's degrading, deplorable, and honestly, whenever I get cat-called at, I flip them the bird. They quickly change their tune to "YOU B*TCH/S*UT/W*ORE!" or whatever their feeble little minds can come up with.

It's also called "rape culture." But if I start in on this, I'll be here for hours.

I'm guessing it's more about you flipping them the bird that gets you called those names and less about them feeling the need to overpower you by raping you. If you don't like it, ignore it. But, doing something insulting is going to always bring you MORE negative attention. That's not rape culture, that's just reality.

no, it IS rape culture.

it's the belief that yelling objectifying things at a strange woman is acceptable. it's a power play. and it IS degrading.

lucky i'm fugly, because i'd be terrified if someone yelled at me when i'm walking.

Oh get over yourself. When I was young, we used to go out walking hoping it would happen. It was fun. It's still fun. And who has the power? The guy begging to be noticed or the woman who can choose to ignore him?
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options

no, it IS rape culture.

Oh get over yourself. When I was young, we used to go out walking hoping it would happen. It was fun. It's still fun. And who has the power? The guy begging to be noticed or the woman who can choose to ignore him?

it's strange to me women who enjoy that objectification. what goes through their heads?

"i really really hope someone screams things at my body. that would flatter me lots"

"maybe if i wear something slutty enough no one will expect me to have a personality"

"my fitness routine would sure be made better if some strangers yelled things at me"

:sick:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I still cannot comprehend why they continue to use a method with a 99% failure rate.

It only bothers me when Im exercising.

(And that's only because it messes with my concentration and occasionally crosses the vulgarity line - I mean - when they start talking about how much they'd love to shove a fist up your such and such, then I turn around and hit them)
  • Denise6914
    Denise6914 Posts: 176
    Options
    I'd be flattered. Never had it happen though. I think I am invisible to the opposite sex.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It makes me laugh . . .
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    It means I have gapped out and walked into the street without looking

I am thankful...if no one honked or yelled I might get hit by a bus :bigsmile:
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Ya know, even looking back in my teenage and early 20's I don't remember us yelling out the car thinking it was going to score a date or anything else....it was more like showing off in front of the guys or being funny about it....provoking the stereotype basically...but those who do it for real....yeah, total scumbags \m/
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I don't run on roads. :(
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

no, it IS rape culture.

it's strange to me women who enjoy that objectification. what goes through their heads?

"i really really hope someone screams things at my body. that would flatter me lots"

"maybe if i wear something slutty enough no one will expect me to have a personality"

"my fitness routine would sure be made better if some strangers yelled things at me"

LMAO

Sweetie, I have plenty of personality and plenty of intelligence. And I use both. Like I said, I wouldn't date a guy who did that, but it's nice to be noticed for how I look. I guess if you never get that kind of attention, you feel better about yourself making it a feminist issue.
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    it's so embarrassing!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

I think its a lack of self esteem. If someone truly feels good about how they look they wouldn't look forward to crude situations like this. I've had some people yell crazy things or do obscene gestures out of cars and every single time it just makes me really uncomfortable cause I'm often walking alone when it happens.
  • rachellem86
    rachellem86 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I hate it. I'm not a dog, don't whistle at me. If you like me or you like the way I look, come talk to me like a human being.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    That's actually one of my pet pieves. I don't like when guys whistle at you like you are a dog.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me a few times more so when I was in va... I dont mind it but when they start yelling what they would do to me etc. that's when the line has been crossed..
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me a fair bit, actually, and it always startles me/I'm not too appreciative of it. I don't dress trashy or skanky in any way (not in the day time, at least :P ) and yet I'll get shouted at on the way to class from passing vehicles.

Awesome that you think I'm hot.

Not awesome that you're shouting at me and yelling ridiculous/potentially offensive things. Just makes you look like an idiot.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options
    I hate it. I'm not a dog, don't whistle at me. If you like me or you like the way I look, come talk to me like a human being.

and men who do it, believe women are no better than dogs. it's creepy.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    i signal them to pass using the left lane. man's gotta do his jog.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've found a simple direct compliment goes a long way. I'm absolutely into giving honest compliments all the time...in a non-creepy sort of way, if they're deserved. I've told countless women, "hey, I'm not a freak, but I call like I see it - and I couldn't help notice how amazing you look...I respect the hard-work you had to put in to get there..." I then go the opposite direction relatively quickly to not make them feel awkward or threatened. Multiple times I've had the woman tap me on the shoulder and thank me, very sincerely for noticing. Sure beats a yell or whistle. Try it guys...just don't be the creepy guy.
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Note to self: Teach my boys not to yell out the window before they get their license!!!