Students forced to give passwords...

Options

Replies

• Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I am the parent to my child, not my child's school. Granted, I allow them the privilege of be caretaker and instructor and protector of my most prized possessions for several hours a day and a good percentage of the year, but as far as my child's online presence, it is personal. As I tell them and all of my friends, if you don't want people to find out, you don't put it online. Someone with enough resources can find out every last thing you've posted online. I know that my employer can look to see what I have on my FB page if the posts are public. Other than that, it's not going to happen. I keep private things private for a reason. Just like they can't come watch me take a shower or watch me in my most intimate private moments at home... they aren't going to be doing that in a virtual sense either. If some kids don't have decent parents, then that problem needs to be addressed... this 'stick a BandAid on it' mentality doesn't fix any problems and the 'stick my nose into your business because I know what's right for you' mentality is every frappin worse! No thank you!!!!
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I think they are doing it to protect all students. Not all students have parents that care. Some of them come home to terrible lifestyles where they have to take care of the parent. I work in a middle/high school and feel so sorry for the majority of the kdis because they have parents who dont care what they do. Some of them have some pretty sad situations going on. I say go ahead, it may just save the life of someone.

I have to agree! I believe all its doing is taking care of business. School teachers and authority should have a right to play the role as parent during school hours. Maybe that's the only parent figure that they have in their lives. Facebook/internet isnt a bed of roses and kids are getting out of hand especially the 12 yr olds on fb, etc.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    That's because in the US, we have rights, but you don't think they should apply to anyone under 16.
    Actually, I never said 16. I said as long as they're considered minors. I'm not suggesting they don't have legal rights; of course they do. I'm talking about in my home and in the private schools I've enrolled them. There are no "privacy rights" in my home. That doesn't mean I'll walk in and start picking through their backpacks without a reason. It means I will IF I want to or if I suspect something is up.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the odd one out but as far as I'm concerned I'd have no issue with the schools having passwords to my child's fb....it would cut down on all the social bullying plus I want my kids protected and if they want to help keep an extra eye then fine by me. If your child is as " behaved" as you think, why would there be an issue.

Think of it like this. It's like you standing in the street having a conversation with a friend about, say, where to eat your lunch. Then, your manager walks up behind you, and stands there listening in. You're not saying anything wrong in the conversation, but is your manager right to just come over and listen?
  • macpatti
    Options
    I guess I'm the odd one out but as far as I'm concerned I'd have no issue with the schools having passwords to my child's fb....it would cut down on all the social bullying plus I want my kids protected and if they want to help keep an extra eye then fine by me. If your child is as " behaved" as you think, why would there be an issue.
    You're not the odd one out! I agree.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Not that I agree with the school admins practice, but... ummm... What's a 13 year-old girl doing with a facebook page anyway? My daughter wasn't allowed to get one until she was 16, and then I monitored it (and her friends) regularly.

you go Mama!! So proud of you, wish more parents would be that way:smile:
  • macpatti
    Options
    Think of it like this. It's like you standing in the street having a conversation with a friend about, say, where to eat your lunch. Then, your manager walks up behind you, and stands there listening in. You're not saying anything wrong in the conversation, but is your manager right to just come over and listen?
    Depends on where you work.
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Schools only have this policy because they know most people will not pay for a lawyer.
  • macpatti
    Options
    I think the lack of trust and respect shown is what makes some people behave the way they do. You can be supportive and helpful without invading someone's privacy, at ANY age. Do that, and when they think they need help or advice they'll seek it.
    Wait.....so you're suggesting that parents who check their children's FB accounts, their phone records, look through their rooms just lack trust and respect and are not supportive????
  • macpatti
    Options
    Not that I agree with the school admins practice, but... ummm... What's a 13 year-old girl doing with a facebook page anyway? My daughter wasn't allowed to get one until she was 16, and then I monitored it (and her friends) regularly.
    :flowerforyou:
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I think the lack of trust and respect shown is what makes some people behave the way they do. You can be supportive and helpful without invading someone's privacy, at ANY age. Do that, and when they think they need help or advice they'll seek it.
    Wait.....so you're suggesting that parents who check their children's FB accounts, their phone records, look through their rooms just lack trust and respect and are not supportive????

I'm not saying they're not supportive, but I would say it shows a lack of respect. You said there are no privacy policies in your house - do you let your kids have all your passwords? I doubt it.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

I don't agree w/ the school asking for passwords for the simple fact there is a lot of identity theft out there for one. Why should I trust the school with my child's information? I still refuse to give my kids' SSN numbers to the school - they have NO need for them. I'm very picky about the type of information I give them and when they ask, you can bet I'm the parent that asks "Why do you need that?" That's my job as a parent.

For another, if there's a bullying issue going on at school and my child is involved - I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT. How am I supposed to deal with it as a parent, if I'm kept in the dark?

I realize there are kids that don't get discipline/attention/etc at home, so what this means I have to relinquish my rights to raise my child to the school?

The way I see it is the school and the parents are PARTNERS in an effort to educate and raise these kids. I've always told my kids teachers 'If there is a problem, you let me know and we'll handle it TOGETHER"

If the school feels it is something criminal in nature, than they can contact the sheriff's department and get a warrant and move on from there.

To me, the school is being lazy by requiring kids to give their passwords.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    This. It absolutely amazes me.

Invade, and people will just become even more private.

We saved my stepson's life by snooping and invading his privacy. He may have killed himself if we hadn't. Some kids have deep issues that make it necessary for you to invade their privacy because they will not seek help on their own. A parent should be checking in on their kids a lot to make sure they're ok because they won't always tell you and it isn't always obvious they're hiding things. I am against someone else invading my kid's privacy but I'll do it again in a heartbeat.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

I'm not saying they're not supportive, but I would say it shows a lack of respect. You said there are no privacy policies in your house - do you let your kids have all your passwords? I doubt it.

Uh, there's a reason the kids don't have the passwords - it's because THEY ARE KIDS.

I allow my kids basic privacy - like changing in the privacy of their room. But in regards to the internet - there is NO SUCH THING AS PRIVACY. Once it's on the internet, it's there forever, no matter how many times they hit the delete key.

It is my JOB as a parent to teach them that (along with other stuff, how to balance a checkbook, how to cook, how to do laundry, etc...).

The kids - their job is to go to school, do their chores and listen to their parents.
  • macpatti
    Options
    You said there are no privacy policies in your house - do you let your kids have all your passwords? I doubt it.
    That's hilarious. I'm the parent, they are the children. It is not their obligation to protect me. It is mine to protect them. Do you set curfews for your children in your home? I would hope so. Do they give YOU one? I would hope not.
  • kuunsilta
    kuunsilta Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well, I know that companies DO look up someone they want to hire on FB. I can't remember the statistics, but it was somewhere near 90% in a survey that was hanging up in my college. I know police can do the same.
    But asking a kid - or anyone really - to give over their password is just over doing it. I would tell my school administration where to go if they wanted my password. I don't care if they look at my wall or go through my pictures, but I would refuse to give out my password =/
    If they're so concerned, the police can search it.
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to ask to look at someone's page (if they have it protected) but another thing ENTIRELY to ask for their PASSWORD, which would also give access to private e-mails and chat logs. That's completely inappropriate.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Why do they need the passwords though?

Employers are doing this too. I would get fired over it. There's just no f-ing way in hell. It goes way way way beyond their "need to know". WTF. Seriously? Why the password? It's THEIR ACCOUNT. Not only no, but NO F-ING WAY IN HELL!
  • acksaysbillthecat
    Options
    You are right, I don't believe in drinking or drugs, or even smoking or cussing, but that is just too much invasion of privacy!!!!!!!!
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think it's time to switch schools. Plain and simple.