Students forced to give passwords...

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to ask to look at someone's page (if they have it protected) but another thing ENTIRELY to ask for their PASSWORD, which would also give access to private e-mails and chat logs. That's completely inappropriate.

IT PROVIDES ACCESS INTO THEIR FAMILIES, FRIENDS, AND LOTS OF OTHER STUFF. THE ANSWER IS NO!

If I know anyone that does that, I'll delete them out of my friends list, I don't want some school admins snooping around my stuff.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    My son's facebook page does not allow login from any unauthorized computer, so they couldn't do anything with the password anyway which he has been instructed to give to no one and if the school threatens him, he is instructed to keep quiet until I get there or they leave him alone no matter what they say. I monitor his page and his phone does not have internet, and I scan it periodically (in front of him) so there is nothing to see there and he doesn't get any ideas about trying to hide anything from me ( I am an IT) .....Schools need to focus on determining how kids learn and the best ways to teach them and not worry about what they do in their spare time.....that's my job.

^^whoa! I wish I had an in house IT for my family!!! haha!

Someone said something about kids have no right to privacy. I disagree. They do. Just not from mom and dad. But they do, as the whole family does, from the school. I think it's connected to the parent's right to privacy. At least that is the angle I would take if I were arguing against the school in court.

...though some states allow children a right to privacy from their parents as well...in terms of access to abortion without parental consent. Or at least I think they do. FYI, I dont' mean to derail this convo by bringing up abortion. It's just, legally, there is no righ to "choice" the entire Roe V. Wade case went the way it did as a matter of a right to PRIVACY.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That's because in the US, we have rights, but you don't think they should apply to anyone under 16.
    Actually, I never said 16. I said as long as they're considered minors. I'm not suggesting they don't have legal rights; of course they do. I'm talking about in my home and in the private schools I've enrolled them. There are no "privacy rights" in my home. That doesn't mean I'll walk in and start picking through their backpacks without a reason. It means I will IF I want to or if I suspect something is up.
    If you gave the school permission to do something like this, fine. But that's a far cry from the school just deciding it's OK.
  • neverstray
    Options
    My son's facebook page does not allow login from any unauthorized computer, so they couldn't do anything with the password anyway which he has been instructed to give to no one and if the school threatens him, he is instructed to keep quiet until I get there or they leave him alone no matter what they say. I monitor his page and his phone does not have internet, and I scan it periodically (in front of him) so there is nothing to see there and he doesn't get any ideas about trying to hide anything from me ( I am an IT) .....Schools need to focus on determining how kids learn and the best ways to teach them and not worry about what they do in their spare time.....that's my job.

^^whoa! I wish I had an in house IT for my family!!! haha!

Someone said something about kids have no right to privacy. I disagree. They do. Just not from mom and dad. But they do, as the whole family does, from the school. I think it's connected to the parent's right to privacy. At least that is the angle I would take if I were arguing against the school in court.

...though some states allow children a right to privacy from their parents as well...in terms of access to abortion without parental consent. Or at least I think they do. FYI, I dont' mean to derail this convo by bringing up abortion. It's just, legally, there is no righ to "choice" the entire Roe V. Wade case went the way it did as a matter of a right to PRIVACY.

It would come down to the argument, "Who is raising these children?" If the State is raising them, then you also pay for their food, shelter, clothing, medical, college, provide love and support, and all the rest that comes with it, and I'm out. Otherwsie, shut the *kitten* up".
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I think the lack of trust and respect shown is what makes some people behave the way they do. You can be supportive and helpful without invading someone's privacy, at ANY age. Do that, and when they think they need help or advice they'll seek it.
    Wait.....so you're suggesting that parents who check their children's FB accounts, their phone records, look through their rooms just lack trust and respect and are not supportive????

I'm not saying they're not supportive, but I would say it shows a lack of respect. You said there are no privacy policies in your house - do you let your kids have all your passwords? I doubt it.

Uh, there's a reason the kids don't have the passwords - it's because THEY ARE KIDS.

I allow my kids basic privacy - like changing in the privacy of their room. But in regards to the internet - there is NO SUCH THING AS PRIVACY. Once it's on the internet, it's there forever, no matter how many times they hit the delete key.

It is my JOB as a parent to teach them that (along with other stuff, how to balance a checkbook, how to cook, how to do laundry, etc...).

The kids - their job is to go to school, do their chores and listen to their parents.

Teaching them about the internet not being a private place is very different to having their passwords to look through any parts that ARE more private, though.

Argument for home-schooling, in my eyes, if this becomes a widespread occurrence.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    If you gave the school permission to do something like this, fine. But that's a far cry from the school just deciding it's OK.
    Agreed. And I also agree with it not being okay to get the students' passwords. I just see nothing wrong with asking the students to log on, without forcing them to do it.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Excuse me for being blunt but I told my sons school to fu_ck off and get a warrant.

I then told them if they wanted to see a pissed off nasty facebook posting on that schools administration they better get a warrant for my facebook account.

This is the same school my son was continually bullied, we complained many times (and found out others had about this bully) and finally my kid was cornered. My son had been taking krav maga for 3+ years, no one really knew it and he completely destroyed the bully. Cowardly admins wanted to suspend my son as the agressor until my lawyer walked in with a ton of evidence showing the admins ducked their heads in the sand about this particular child (I am sure it had nothingt o do with it being the grandson of the local mayor). Everything magically went away....

God- I hate nit picking, feel good admins who hew to zero tolerance policy BS so that they dont have to thin or use common sense. When does the pendulum begin to swing back the other way?

duuuude i wish you would have been my dad when i was in highschool! i applaud you sir.

Similar type of thing...though not password related.

I was sent to the principals office and threatened with detention or worse because I said "Jeeze" to my home ec teacher...she flipped out and said I was taking the lords name in vein and sent me to the principals office.

They called my mom...who promptly jumped in the car and came down just to tell them that thanks to seperation of church and state they could go F*** themselves and if they gave me anymore hassle about it she'd have a lawyer with her next time.

I returned to class after that.
  • LRodich
    LRodich Posts: 15
    Options
    This is not America anymore....it's Amerika. Most of us slumbering fools just don't know it yet.
  • neverstray
    Options
    I think the lack of trust and respect shown is what makes some people behave the way they do. You can be supportive and helpful without invading someone's privacy, at ANY age. Do that, and when they think they need help or advice they'll seek it.
    Wait.....so you're suggesting that parents who check their children's FB accounts, their phone records, look through their rooms just lack trust and respect and are not supportive????

I'm not saying they're not supportive, but I would say it shows a lack of respect. You said there are no privacy policies in your house - do you let your kids have all your passwords? I doubt it.

Uh, there's a reason the kids don't have the passwords - it's because THEY ARE KIDS.

I allow my kids basic privacy - like changing in the privacy of their room. But in regards to the internet - there is NO SUCH THING AS PRIVACY. Once it's on the internet, it's there forever, no matter how many times they hit the delete key.

It is my JOB as a parent to teach them that (along with other stuff, how to balance a checkbook, how to cook, how to do laundry, etc...).

The kids - their job is to go to school, do their chores and listen to their parents.

Teaching them about the internet not being a private place is very different to having their passwords to look through any parts that ARE more private, though.

Argument for home-schooling, in my eyes, if this becomes a widespread occurrence.

Nah, not really. you just tell the school to suck it. That's all. If it was a requirement of attendence, then, they go to another school, or home school is an option also. But, what if you just say they don't have facebook, even if they do? That's another option, just lie.
  • trishgrace
    trishgrace Posts: 285
    Options
    Excuse me for being blunt but I told my sons school to fu_ck off and get a warrant.

I then told them if they wanted to see a pissed off nasty facebook posting on that schools administration they better get a warrant for my facebook account.

This is the same school my son was continually bullied, we complained many times (and found out others had about this bully) and finally my kid was cornered. My son had been taking krav maga for 3+ years, no one really knew it and he completely destroyed the bully. Cowardly admins wanted to suspend my son as the agressor until my lawyer walked in with a ton of evidence showing the admins ducked their heads in the sand about this particular child (I am sure it had nothingt o do with it being the grandson of the local mayor). Everything magically went away....

God- I hate nit picking, feel good admins who hew to zero tolerance policy BS so that they dont have to thin or use common sense. When does the pendulum begin to swing back the other way?

duuuude i wish you would have been my dad when i was in highschool! i applaud you sir.

^^^^This. A hundred times over.
  • macpatti
    Options
    It would come down to the argument, "Who is raising these children?" If the State is raising them, then you also pay for their food, shelter, clothing, medical, college, provide love and support, and all the rest that comes with it, and I'm out. Otherwsie, shut the *kitten* up".
    Wait...what???? Children are in school around 8 hours a day. They are with their teachers more often during the week than they are their own parents. You don't think that teachers are helping you raise your children?
  • neverstray
    Options
    Wait...what???? Children are in school around 8 hours a day. They are with their teachers more often during the week than they are their own parents. You don't think that teachers are helping you raise your children?

No. I don't think they are at all. They are educating them, not raising them.
  • Aleciajones
    Aleciajones Posts: 153
    Options
    If my children went to public school they would have been taught very young to remain silent except saying to contact me or my husband and refuse to acknowledge anything else. School officials are not police yet kids feel just as intimidated.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Nah, not really. you just tell the school to suck it. That's all. If it was a requirement of attendence, then, they go to another school, or home school is an option also. But, what if you just say they don't have facebook, even if they do? That's another option, just lie.
    Yes, now there's an option. And a mature, teaching moment for your children. Tell the school, who helps raise and educate your child, to "suck it", then lie and have your children lie as well.
  • Motivation
    Motivation Posts: 64 Member
    Options

WHO ARE YOU AND WHY ARE YOU NOT MY BIOLOGICAL FATHER!? Seriously.. I wish there were more people who would take this type of approach.

Luckily I wasn't really bullied very much growing up, if I was the people involved learned a very hard lesson why you shouldn't continue bothering someone.

The schools should focus more on making the schools safer, most of the schools are cutting out programs because they "don't have the money". Some people really need a reality check, I believe there is a special spot for these people.. at the very back of the unemployment line.
  • neverstray
    Options
    I heard from a bird that kids now sign up for facebook not using their real names, and all the students know their "pen" names, or whatever they call them, and that's how they get around all this.

Simple solution.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Not really. You can find out in seconds whether or not someone has a Facebook account, so there's no "I don't use Facebook" lie. You can give the school your opinion, but of they're forcing children to hand over their passwords whilst in school you're not there to say 'enough is enough'
  • macpatti
    Options
    No. I don't think they are at all. They are educating them, not raising them.
    I said, "helping" to raise them. Hopefully, they're doing more than just teaching math, reading, and science. Hopefully they go over manners, social behaviors, making good choices, etc.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    They could kiss my butt I wouldn't be giving them or allowing my child to give up their password, besides disclosing your password is against the TOS on facebook.

ETA: My kids well the oldest one right now..Has a limited expectation of privacy, I allow her to have a computer and cell phone and I do have her passwords, for her safety and do random checks just to see and make sure she isn't involved in anything or talking to anyone that she doesn't know..but I"m her mother I'm suppose to protect her.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Yes, now there's an option. And a mature, teaching moment for your children. Tell the school, who helps raise and educate your child, to "suck it", then lie and have your children lie as well.

You must be a teacher or admin or something. LOL. All I am saying is I would not tolerate this at all. No, they may not have the password. It's really that simple and no amount of bullying or legislation is going to change my mind about it.