Students forced to give passwords...

Options

Replies

• LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I think its way to far. It is the parent's who need to monitor their kids activity level on social net works. I do not allow my 10 year old to have a facebook.
  • prettylyzard
    prettylyzard Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you let your kid have a facebook page then the school should be able to monitor it, if anything, to try and prevent cyber bullying.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Teaching them about the internet not being a private place is very different to having their passwords to look through any parts that ARE more private, though.

Argument for home-schooling, in my eyes, if this becomes a widespread occurrence.

Nah, not really. you just tell the school to suck it. That's all. If it was a requirement of attendence, then, they go to another school, or home school is an option also. But, what if you just say they don't have facebook, even if they do? That's another option, just lie.

Not really. You can find out in seconds whether or not someone has a Facebook account, so there's no "I don't use Facebook" lie. You can give the school your opinion, but of they're forcing children to hand over their passwords whilst in school you're not there to say 'enough is enough'

How? If I sign up as Tom Jones, and show a picture of a flower, and you can't see any detials unless I friend you, how would you know?
  • Milette812
    Milette812 Posts: 32
    Options
    A long time ago when I was in high school, we had locker pits and bench railing that encompassed the pits. You weren't allowed to walk on them. I stopped, sat down, and pulled my foot up to TIE MY SHOE. The assistant principal called me in to his office and gave him detention, to which my reply was "Well you will be hearing from my father about this. He doesn't take detention lightly." The assistant principal put it in my permanent file as threatening him. o_O My father asked to see my file because he rightfully thought the whole thing was rediculous and when he saw that entry, almost lost it and threatened to sue for harrassment if it wasn't removed. Needless to say, it was removed and the assistant principal never even looked in my direction again.

Point being made: Not all teachers and principals even have common sense and forget they are dealing with children and teenagers, not criminals and adults. Sad really.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    You must be a teacher or admin or something. LOL. All I am saying is I would not tolerate this at all. No, they may not have the password. It's really that simple and no amount of bullying or legislation is going to change my mind about it.
    We're agreeing on that point! I'm not in favor of my children giving out their passwords or a school admin to force them to give it. :smile:
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Why does a 13 year old need a Facebook page? My son is 12 and asked for one and I said NO.

Your child = your choice... the other parent's child = their choice, which in turn = not for you to decide.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    If you let your kid have a facebook page then the school should be able to monitor it, if anything, to try and prevent cyber bullying.

You can block people. How would someone bully you online? That's silly.
  • Aleciajones
    Aleciajones Posts: 153
    Options
    Nah, not really. you just tell the school to suck it. That's all. If it was a requirement of attendence, then, they go to another school, or home school is an option also. But, what if you just say they don't have facebook, even if they do? That's another option, just lie.
    Yes, now there's an option. And a mature, teaching moment for your children. Tell the school, who helps raise and educate your child, to "suck it", then lie and have your children lie as well.
    If public schools are raising childn then cps needs to be called in! If any parent allowed the crap that happens at school they would have their kids yanked. The family is who kids are (or should be) taught is the first priority and if I were to tell my kid to obey me over the school I expect them to obey ME!
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Are the teachers required to turn over their passwords to the school adminstrators? Are those administrators required to provide their passwords to the school district officials? Will parents be required to provide their information because they're friends with their kids on FB and therefore have a connection to the school? Where does it end?
  • Milette812
    Milette812 Posts: 32
    Options
    Those who would give up freedom for safety deserve neither. It negates the point of me and all my brothers and sisters in arms serving to defend those rights most of civilians take for granted. If your child is being bullied and don't tell you, maybe you need to be asking yourself why your child feels they can't talk to you and not teach them that privacy and freedom must be sacrificed so someone can feel "safe". I was bullied growing up. I learned to defend myself and when I needed help I asked for it.
  • macpatti
    Options
    I heard from a bird that kids now sign up for facebook not using their real names, and all the students know their "pen" names, or whatever they call them, and that's how they get around all this.Simple solution.
    Why would a student want a fake FB with a "pen" name? Unless, perhaps, they're doing something they don't want their teachers and/or parents to see. And what would they be doing that they wouldn't want their teachers/parents to see? Perhaps something not in their best interest.
  • Aleciajones
    Aleciajones Posts: 153
    Options
    Those who would give up freedom for safety deserve neither. It negates the point of me and all my brothers and sisters in arms serving to defend those rights most of civilians take for granted. If your child is being bullied and don't tell you, maybe you need to be asking yourself why your child feels they can't talk to you and not teach them that privacy and freedom must be sacrificed so someone can feel "safe". I was bullied growing up. I learned to defend myself and when I needed help I asked for it.

Aaaaaand I love you! The part about your child not being able to tell you, and sacrificing freedom is exactly it!
  • macpatti
    Options
    Are the teachers required to turn over their passwords to the school adminstrators?
    We are, and I have no problem with it.[/quote]
  • macpatti
    Options
    If public schools are raising childn then cps needs to be called in! If any parent allowed the crap that happens at school they would have their kids yanked.
    You lost me here. If any parent allowed what crap to happen?
    The family is who kids are (or should be) taught is the first priority and if I were to tell my kid to obey me over the school I expect them to obey ME!
    Should be is the key phrase here. I agree with you.........if a teacher is telling my child to do something I do not approve of, I would expect my child to obey me. Agreed!
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to ask to look at someone's page (if they have it protected) but another thing ENTIRELY to ask for their PASSWORD, which would also give access to private e-mails and chat logs. That's completely inappropriate.

IT PROVIDES ACCESS INTO THEIR FAMILIES, FRIENDS, AND LOTS OF OTHER STUFF. THE ANSWER IS NO!

If I know anyone that does that, I'll delete them out of my friends list, I don't want some school admins snooping around my stuff.

That's also a good point, that accessing the login of a child's facebook page would also provide access to their friends' and families' privated updates. I didn't think of that. Heck, in a small town, if you have just 100 kid's facebook logins, you could end up with access to the private status updates of half the town!
  • macpatti
    Options
    Those who would give up freedom for safety deserve neither.
    We are talking about children here!
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Schools are responsible for educating our children. Not raising them.
    Could this be part of bigger problem in society, though? It's sad to me that parents, schools, and churches can't join forces in raising children. What about the children who have no real supervision or guidance at home? For many children, no one is raising them.

The teacher or educational system may not share the same values as I do, so for me I would rather the school not help raise my children. Sure, there are some universal ethics which most people agree on. However, there are even more grey areas where people have differing opinions.
  • macpatti
    Options
    That's also a good point, that accessing the login of a child's facebook page would also provide access to their friends' and families' privated updates. I didn't think of that. Heck, in a small town, if you have just 100 kid's facebook logins, you could end up with access to the private status updates of half the town!
    Ha! That could get messy!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Agreed. And I also agree with it not being okay to get the students' passwords. I just see nothing wrong with asking the students to log on, without forcing them to do it.

I am curious to know in what instance you would ask a student to log into their FB account so you can look at something. Is it because they have brought something to your attention or because you heard something about them and want to investigate?
  • macpatti
    Options
    I am curious to know in what instance you would ask a student to log into their FB account so you can look at something. Is it because they have brought something to your attention or because you heard something about them and want to investigate?
    It can be both. Sometimes they're bringing something to our attention about something they saw on FB. So, we'll ask them to log on and show us. It could also be that someone brought something to our attention about them, and we've called them in about it. Sometimes parents bring things to our attention because they have their son's password or were looking at their wall. It can vary. But, let's say we're suspicious of one of the students doing drugs. We wouldn't just call him in and say, "Log on your FB so we can see what you're doing". It's usually when we're made aware of something said or happening on FB. And boys are dumb....they'll post pics of themsevles doing stuff they know will get them in trouble. We can easily monitor FB without needing them to log on, and we do that on a regular basis.