Summer Challenge

Options

Replies

• vmilam03
    vmilam03 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Day 1 of Summer Challenge finished! I was not under my calorie goal :(
    But definitely closer than I have been lately!
    Elliptical for 60 minutes and then 10 minutes of circuit type training.
    Plus drank 2 more cups of water than normal...
    Have not chosen a new exercise yet.
    So far, so good!
  • branohockey
    branohockey Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    New exercises anyone? I'm always look ing for more variety. Currently I regularly play hockey, kickbox, treadmill and lift weights. To that I will add elliptical (HATE IT!!!) stationary bike (HATE IT!!!) and a rowing machine. I also do many squats throughout the day... when I'm washing my hands, waiting for the microwave etc. I tried yoga and I can sincerely say that it is not for me. I tend to need action/movement to keep my attention. So what other suggestions for activity is everybody out there doing? I need to mix it up!

MarieB
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    ProjectTae: The challenge actually has started. I will reconsider the group idea next week, but I have had a really hard time organizing like this in groups before. I lose weigh-ins because people either post them before I have time to get a new post up or put them in strange places and I end up having to dig through multiple threads. In terms of what's easier for me to organize, it's a lot easier for it all to be linear in one place. The other times I've done these challenges by the 2nd weigh-in there's a ton of people that don't come back. While I hope that's not the case, I don't doubt it will be and the challenge will taper off to being about 20-30 people who don't post everyday. At the next weigh-in I'm going to see how many people are sticking around. If it's a lot of people I'll move it to a group, but for now I'm leaving it in the thread for my own organizational skills. If I wasn't making the spreadsheet I'd totally agree with you that it'd be easier to read in a group, but in the past the spreadsheet has motivated people by seeing their loss by the week. But in case you missed it, I'll continue to post it throughout the week.

- I challenge you to drink TWO more 8-oz cups of WATER a day than you normally do
    - I challenge you to find a NEW exercise that you do at least once this week
    - I challenge you to stay under your calories at least 5 of the 7 days this week

bunjijk: You weren't added, but I'm not stopping adding anyone ever. Just let me know what your start is and what your goal is.

emmam2211: I was just trying to decide what I should do too! I saw someone bought a pedometer and is using that to make sure she gets a certain number of steps in a day. I'd like to hear what other people are going to do, because though I came up with the challenge I have no idea!

mrsalcalde: Let us know how that exercise is for you!

gianna5587: Just keep working on the water! I definitely haven't been drinking enough either and it's so important. I like your exercise idea and may steal it.

If anyone has any concerns about this being in a forum and not a group, your thoughts are heard and I understand. But I just really hate how the groups work and want to avoid it if I can. The last challenge I had fell apart over in the groups because it was too confusing for me to keep track of everything. On here, I just read the thread from where I last posted to the end and I know exactly what's going on.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    New exercises anyone? I'm always look ing for more variety. Currently I regularly play hockey, kickbox, treadmill and lift weights. To that I will add elliptical (HATE IT!!!) stationary bike (HATE IT!!!) and a rowing machine. I also do many squats throughout the day... when I'm washing my hands, waiting for the microwave etc. I tried yoga and I can sincerely say that it is not for me. I tend to need action/movement to keep my attention. So what other suggestions for activity is everybody out there doing? I need to mix it up!

MarieB

One thing I do to break a sweat is dance, particularly I'll turn on Just Dance for Wii and do it for a half hour to an hour.

I think I might do yoga for this week though unless I can think of something better.
  • chichi128
    chichi128 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i would love to join..hope im not too late!!! my goal for auguat 28th is 30lbs down!! this is going to be awesome!!
  • chichi128
    chichi128 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i would love to join..hope im not too late!!! my goal for auguat 28th is 30lbs down!! this is going to be awesome!!

forgot to add my starting weight! embarassing..
    CW 214
    August 28th GW 184 (30lbs) would love more though!
    ultimate GW 125

I usually drink 1 34 oz bottle of water while im at work then green tea at home but im going to shoot for 2 34oz waters a day

currently im doing the 30day shred but im going to try and incorporate C25k for my new exercise hopefully starting tonight or tomorrow

i'm usually pretty good about being under my calorie goal for the day but im going to try to stick with 1200-1300 calories for the day with workouts included.

BEST OF LUCK!!
  • amycjd
    amycjd Posts: 3
    Options
    Hope I'm not too late...
    CW: 155
    GW: 145

I'm shooting for July 4, then maintain after that.

Does drinking water really make a difference for y'all? I've heard mixed reviews about that. Nonetheless, I'm in!
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I drank my 2 extra glasses of water yesterday.
    My new exercise for the week is swimming! I just got my pool set up.
    I went over on calories yesterday.
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    5/29 I mowed the back and front lawn, pulled weeds in my flower beds,
    Drank 120 oz. of water
    Was under my calories
    5/30
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

Does drinking water really make a difference for y'all? I've heard mixed reviews about that. Nonetheless, I'm in!

So.. I recently just gained like 30 pounds of what I lost before back, because I got super stressed out with other stuff in my life, so I've started over. With that being said, from summer 2010 - summer 2011 I lost about 50 pounds. What I found was if I was consistent with my water, my weightloss was also more consistent. The biggest part of it, I think, is that sodium causes bloating and causes you to hold water weight. When you drink water, you are minimizing the sodium, and are cutting some of the water weight.

And on top of that, it's really good for you.
  • bunjijk
    bunjijk Posts: 44
    Options
    My start weight was 217.2 early Tuesday morning.
    This morning it is 215.8.

Yesterday was a disaster with the storm we had. Didn't keep track of anything with the kids going crazy without power.

For today:
    That was a great idea to do the Just Dance Wii - my kids have been after me to do this for a very long time. Thought it was silly, but just tried it. Very addicting to try to keep beating your own score. Ended up doing 35 minutes of sweating. Can't wait to show the kids that mommy can "groove"! :laugh:

I am already up to 42 oz. of water thanks to Just Dance.

Darn that leftover cheesecake though - have to be careful for the rest of the day to stay under in calories. Oh, wait, I need to add my Wii exercise. Might have to do another session with the kids tonight - AND throw out the rest of that cheesecake!

Goal weight is 199 by the end of August.
  • zerbe6982
    zerbe6982 Posts: 68
    Options
    I've never been a part of a challenge before. This is great! I am losing weight for for my wedding in November, but more importantly, I am losing weight for myself! :)

5/29 Update:
    Water - No
    Exercise - Yes (I added pushups to my routine)
    Calories - Under

So far, so good!
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Planks are an excellent idea. I like to have mini challenge exercises to do each week, simple excersies like squats, pushups, lunges, crunches, bicep curls, etc . Say this week you try to do a 30 sec plank every day, or 20 squats. I find they are quick to do and with doing them everyday you get that muscle toned. For new excerises or quick workouts, I use fitnessmagazine.com - they have loads of fun workouts.
    I managed my 2 extra glasses of water yesterday (12 in total) and stayed under calories - great start Emma!! But I need some ideas for NEW exercises - what are you guys all planning? I'm thinking planks could be a good one to try, I've avoided them until now as my core muscles are dismal!!

Thank you for doing this challenge - I think it's really going to help me (not that I'm competitive....honest!!) xxx
  • angeleyes9770
    angeleyes9770 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    would love to join the challenge starting at 160 would like to get down to 145 again.
    dont like much water but I will try to drink more
    and I got a new treadmill so I will make that my excersise
    and so far this week I am not doing to good on staying under my caloire count but will try to do better with this motivation.
  • loisofwi
    loisofwi Posts: 1
    Options
    Oh what a welcome challenge. I am planning a family to Cancun the end of August and would like to lose between 15 - 20 lbs by then. I have lost 50 lbs since May 12th 2011 and have hit a plateu. I am getting upset and really need help getting over this hump. I will still be short of my goal by August but I will be CLOSER then I am now. Thanks for the help. How do I get started.
  • czuniga03
    czuniga03 Posts: 99
    Options
    I'm in!! I want to lose 20lbs by Aug 28!

Starting weight 157 :frown:

This is the biggest I've ever been! Even at 9 months pregnant I weighed less..something has to give!
  • adioschubs
    adioschubs Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Under calories so far
    Upped by water from 6 to 8 glasses
    Going to try new muscle exercises today as I've only been doing cardio.
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am in for 20. That will put me in wonderland and exactly where I need to be to lose 50lbs this calendar year.
  • mamakeke22
    mamakeke22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    if its not to late i would like to join this challenge may 29th weigh in was 196.8 my goal by august 28 my goal is to be 180 so my goal is to lose 17 ponds
  • momshorses
    momshorses Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm not totally sure about the weight loss, but I have a bad back and I know if I haven't been having enough water it bothers me more. Strange, I know, but true. (Doctor confirmed that it's common.)