Polygamy, Your thoughts.

Options

Replies

• Frisky_CoastalNative
    Options
    Just my luck that I would get 4 women to go along with this idea and then their TOM didn't synch up. Every week there would be one woman p*ssed off.

LOL
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    As long ss everyone is of age and threes no abuse or other ugliness going on....none of my business, or the government's either. It could be an effective way to manage a household. Not my personal choice, but that's ok.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I'd be totally cool with seeing different guys at once. Same with a boyfriend doing it too.

A Swingers Life For ME!
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    There is a point where societal values have to ensure the protection of the family unit. Argue about gay marriage or not - that decision has pretty much been made (especially here in Canada, where it's been law for several years now). Multiple spouses, however, continues down that slipper slope that erodes basic family values. Sure, you can argue, that the family has changed, that a definition of a family isn't relevant anymore, but I disagree.

A tolerant society is not one that suggests "anything goes", but rather protects the weakest members of society, and forges a common understanding of what makes us stronger.

There is nothing illegal about a husband and wife choosing to add a mistress to their relationship. I'm not convinced our government needs to condone the activity.
  • gordonx4
    gordonx4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know we normally think about a man with a number of wife's, but what about a woman have more then 1 husband?
  • hellokehtty
    Options
    What consenting adults do is their business. Gov't should not be making laws about social issues. Someone mentioned marrying a coffee table...heck, if someone wants to marry a darn coffee table, then that's their prerogative!

Do what you will as long as you harm none....
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I would love for my husband to have another wife. One that would cook, clean, etc. And I could be the one to do the fun stuff :tongue:
  • neikoboo927
    neikoboo927 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have actually had serious talks about having one or 2 more women into our relationship. Nothing to do with religion but for other reasons. 1 or 2 more incomes in the home, 1 or 2 more people to clean, cook, do laundry, yard work whatever. My husband works 16-20 hours a day 7 days a week spring and fall with working 5 days a week 16-20 hrs a day in the summer; so during his busy time it is overwhelming for me to take care of our 4br 4 bath 3 finished story home, yard work and our 9+ pets. The new women wouldn't have any children coming into the relationship nor be having any more children once they are with us. I would ALWAYS be the HBIC and what I say goes! For us, perfect!

However, that being said, I have one child and he has 3 and we wouldn't want our kids to be confused about what's going on, so that's why we haven't done it. I'm sure we could find a way to explain it to them but with our ex's involved until our kids are all 18, it's just not the drama we want to deal with. So in 14 years...this might be a real thing for us, until then perhaps I can rescue a illegal sex slave or something like that, give her a bedroom and let her live with us for free and all she has to do is cook and clean and laundry...hhhmmmmmmm imagine that!

Kris
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I do know there is a difference between polyamory and polygamy, but I was speaking from my experience with the polyamorous triads. One of the triads would marry if it were legal.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    There is a point where societal values have to ensure the protection of the family unit. Argue about gay marriage or not - that decision has pretty much been made (especially here in Canada, where it's been law for several years now). Multiple spouses, however, continues down that slipper slope that erodes basic family values. Sure, you can argue, that the family has changed, that a definition of a family isn't relevant anymore, but I disagree.

A tolerant society is not one that suggests "anything goes", but rather protects the weakest members of society, and forges a common understanding of what makes us stronger.

There is nothing illegal about a husband and wife choosing to add a mistress to their relationship. I'm not convinced our government needs to condone the activity.

A bunch of cliche terms with no real meaning. "Basic family values". Nonsense. Basic family values for years included beating the children and/or wife. They were eroded by the feminist movement and concern for child welfare. And good thing too.

Explain to me how more parents involved harms a child. You can't. I'm still waiting for a response to "One mommy and one daddy are the best environment to raise a child in." Hasn't come in yet.

A tolerant society is one that practices tolerance. Not one that imposes beliefs on others.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding I can barely tolerate the one wife I have. :smile:

JUST KIDDING JUST KIDDING!
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Whatever makes people happy. I don't care what anyone does.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Explain to me how more parents involved harms a child. You can't. I'm still waiting for a response to "One mommy and one daddy are the best environment to raise a child in." Hasn't come in yet.

Do you know of any impact studies done on polygamy? I'm not being snarky. I'm really curious here. I'd also like to see impact studies of children raised by homosexual parents. Without such studies, I don't know how either side of the debate can determine what is or isn't best for the children.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    The reason you could not share your husband ... you were raised with the "notion" that it's OK for a woman to have a positive sense of self worth. It's OK for you to feel that your are equal to a man.

Girls raised in polygamy are not taught this. If a woman who share's her husband is jealous ... the woman has a problem. She's the bad guy. It's not like "Big Love" ... girls raised in this environment are taught they are second class citizens.

that is also how girls are raised in the middle east, even Mexice (the oldest boy of the family gets no discipline and is revered) it's someone else's culture. I feel lucky I was born in america, I feel lucky I was raised Wiccan and not brainwashed by a Christian family - there's many who don't agree with that. Everyone will never agree on everything.

Wow. Brainwashed? I am a Christian and am raising my children in a Christian environment. The main point of Christianity is love. We are to love our neighbor as ourselves-and our neighbor is anyone/everyone. That doesn't mean I have to love everyone's choices (that's called discernment-not judgmental). I do not think I am brainwashing my children. They certainly have the freedom to choose what they believe or don't believe.
  • blueroses_78
    Options
    as long as the parties involved are consenting adults, then I have no problem with it. However, I am much too jealous and would not be comfy sharing my husband at this time.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This is in response to Kris... I am not sure how to respond by the quote.

My husband and I have actually had serious talks about having one or 2 more women into our relationship. Nothing to do with religion but for other reasons. 1 or 2 more incomes in the home, 1 or 2 more people to clean, cook, do laundry, yard work whatever. My husband works 16-20 hours a day 7 days a week spring and fall with working 5 days a week 16-20 hrs a day in the summer; so during his busy time it is overwhelming for me to take care of our 4br 4 bath 3 finished story home, yard work and our 9+ pets. The new women wouldn't have any children coming into the relationship nor be having any more children once they are with us. I would ALWAYS be the HBIC and what I say goes! For us, perfect!

However, that being said, I have one child and he has 3 and we wouldn't want our kids to be confused about what's going on, so that's why we haven't done it. I'm sure we could find a way to explain it to them but with our ex's involved until our kids are all 18, it's just not the drama we want to deal with. So in 14 years...this might be a real thing for us, until then perhaps I can rescue a illegal sex slave or something like that, give her a bedroom and let her live with us for free and all she has to do is cook and clean and laundry...hhhmmmmmmm imagine that!

If he works that much hire the help! This is in response to the one named Kris

As far as I'm concerned it's none of my business, wouldn't do and I believe the Bible. I don't have to judge one day we will all answer for our own life. I have enough to do to keep myself and my own business in line. To each his own. That's my 2 cents worth.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    no thanks..One child is enough to pick up after not to mention the fight s over the remote would drive me crazy !
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would welcome the extra help around the house. But, I wouldn't want to share my husband, therefore not an option for me.

^^
    This, along with moral and religious reasons. Not only that but unless there are a lot of bisexuals involved the only person who really "benefits" is the husband.
  • jjmurrow
    jjmurrow Posts: 1
    Options
    What on earth does this have to do with losing weight?!?
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    What on earth does this have to do with losing weight?!?
    You're in the Chit-chat section, dear.