So tired of hearing....

Options
12345679»

Replies

• TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    D:
    When I think about it, my allergies have disappeared as well.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Julie SMASH!!!! lifting heavy **** has helped me drop weight and look better...looks like i am late to the party.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My allergies don't bother me when I'm in the gym lifting regularly. I haven't had a sneezing attack or taken Claratin for over 4 months now that I've gotten back into the swing of things this year. (Torn deltoid tendon last year. No, not from lifting.)

That's amazing. :smile:

I used to have horrible allergies when I was young and skinny. As I got older and less skinny, they subsided quite a bit... I thought it was just that I grew out of it.

But now that you mention it, I've been doing heavy duty, major dust-stirring-up cleaning the past few days, the kind of things that always left me a snorking, snotty, oozing mess, and I've been perfectly fine.

I've noticed I'm all-around healthier and less likely to get sick since I started exercising, but never put any thought into how it affected my allergies. This being healthy *kitten* is cool!!!

I've had bad allergies in the past and they've been minor at worst since starting lifting. Also, I haven't had a single cold in a year! Always got 2 or 3 per year.

I WISH this would happen! I have been having horrible allergy symptoms lately- but it's been a bad season and in addition to weight lifting I spend a lot of time running and riding my bike outdoors- and going by peoples houses cutting their grass makes me about choke. I bet the symptoms would go away if I stopped doing outdoor cardio! :wink:
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    this is what i want, but everything i'm reading about programs ( like NROL4W, and strong lifts, etc) state you need a barbell, not dumbbells...... so, i was curious as to the WHY they state that. is it purely because you can't hit the 100lbs plus with dumbbells??

thank you to everyone that responded me to :-)

ETA- and since the weights of dumbbells can't be changed, you need a bigger variety of equipment for different exercises, where you could change a bar to be used at different weights- that's more if you own/are purchasing the equipment- no big deal at a well equipped gym.

My dumbbells are bars with weights I can attach to them up to 50 pounds on each one. They're a cast iron weight set.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    this is what i want, but everything i'm reading about programs ( like NROL4W, and strong lifts, etc) state you need a barbell, not dumbbells...... so, i was curious as to the WHY they state that. is it purely because you can't hit the 100lbs plus with dumbbells??

ETA- and since the weights of dumbbells can't be changed, you need a bigger variety of equipment for different exercises, where you could change a bar to be used at different weights- that's more if you own/are purchasing the equipment- no big deal at a well equipped gym.

My dumbbells are bars with weights I can attach to them up to 50 pounds on each one. They're a cast iron weight set.

Here's my thought...they may recommend barbells or dumbbells for certain exercises, but there is nothing wrong with modifying things to suit you...you will still get GREAT resullts and a kick *kitten* body... i need the barbell for certain things now that I am going heavier(like for squats)...but really its all about doing SOMETHING more than NOTHING...HTH...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Barbells are more practical for compound exercises. You can lift more weight with a barbell than you can with dumbbells. As dumbbells get heavier, they get harder to hold properly. Also, when you get heavy with some exercises, dumbbells require an actual spotter, where with a barbell, as long as you have a safety cage, you can go it alone. Both have their place in strength training, but I personally believe the barbell is superior to the dumbbell, if you had to choose one.

Plus, barbell form is a lot easier to train than dumbbell form. You're a lot more likely to injure yourself with heavy dumbbells than with heavy barbells.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Hmm! Some women do have more testosterone eg in PCOS so what you say isn't true for everyone.

Yes but it is only a slight difference & still doesn't match to the level of a man. I have PCOS & that's why I know it but right now I'm having a hard time gaining muscle & my body is on the muscular side.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Hmm! Some women do have more testosterone eg in PCOS so what you say isn't true for everyone.

Funny that you mention it, I actually have PCOS, and unfortunately haven't found that it's given me an edge, at all.

Even if a woman had around 300-400dcl's of free testosterone she would need to eat in excess of her maintenance calories to really start gaining any mass. I'm not even sure what a woman's free test is typically, 200dcl's is on the low-side for men.

^^^^^^ AGREE!
  • tvl0308
    tvl0308 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Sounds like to me I need to start lifting. :)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Mmapags and binary? Thank you!
    The guy was a tool. Here's the thing. He got caught up in the competition long ago. Quite frankly, he is the reason some women are intimidated by going into the weight area.

This is my take. First and foremost, you're exercising. Bravo... whether it be circuit, free weights, cardio or whatever. I do agree with the OP that if you choose NOT to lift, have it be for the right reasons. Turning into a muscle builder for most women is extremely difficult. If you just prefer not to do them because it is a preference? Totally understandable. I don't like machines. It's a preference. Nothing more.
    But to assume that ANYONE who doesn't lift is lazy or scared is just plain ignorant. Also to assume that someone who lowers themselves by posting a picture of their progress for attention seeking? I think that just goes a long way in showing how he sees life.
    To bad he took the easy way out by deactivating.

To be fair to the guy he wasnt ribbing on any 'progress' pictures, he was ribbing on taking a picture of ones cleavage without a face and posting it on a profile.

Anyways, Im enjoying heavy lifting. Ive become noticeabley more defined since I started pole, and heavy lifting is definitely adding to that. I'd lifted lighter weights for a couple of years and never seen an improvement, suddenly I start handsprining and BOOM, defined shoulders. I started 5x5 3 weeks ago and am loving it.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I agree with you!!
  • babybluefire
    babybluefire Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of hearing people fuss because everyone's not doing the same exact workout and getting the same exact results.

I do lots of cardio and mild strength training in comparison to some. My day to day life I am already lifting and moving heavy things. I am genetically predisposed to look like a brick house. I seriously could put several pounds of muscle on a year. I could look like a professional body builder with really very little work. My goals are not your goals. That is the simplest fact I can put out there.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I could look like a professional body builder with really very little work.

There have been ups and downs in this "discussion". I think this is my queue to stop trying to honestly discuss this topic here or at least at this moment. The myth that the OP insisted is false is obviously so ingrained in some people that there's no point in having an honest discussion about it.

I worked my legs today. I wish I too were genetically gifted so I could skip, squats, lunges, and dead lifts.

3oo1xh.jpg

EDIT: Too bad this member doesn't have any photos of their awesome physique for inspiration for us mortals.
  • babybluefire
    babybluefire Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Do you really think I am stupid enough to post pictures of myself here? Where every shape size and figure is bashed in some way? No thank you. Also I have a huge mangled looking c-section scar with plenty of scar tissue. No way in hell anybody else is ever going to see that.

Yes I am very muscular for a women, between genetics and my lifestyle and past jobs yes I am muscular. Most women who would walk/run 15 miles a day, work as a jockey/exercise rider, clean stalls and groom for several hours a day then go work a second job as a landscaper had better be pretty darn muscular and fit.

Currently I am a sahm with two tiny kids. I gained weight doing pregnancy fertility drugs and then another pregnancy. I do not need or want to 'lift heavy" to reach my goals. Cardio and the manual labor I put in as a sahm and in the barn is more then enough.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    But the above, and the below...
    Yes I am very muscular for a women, between genetics and my lifestyle and past jobs yes I am muscular. Most women who would walk/run 15 miles a day, work as a jockey/exercise rider, clean stalls and groom for several hours a day then go work a second job as a landscaper had better be pretty darn muscular and fit.

... Tell pretty different stories.

Putting in 15 miles a day, riding horses, mucking stalls and landscaping aren't what I'd call "very little work." I'd call that really frickin' hard work! You put in work, a lot of work, to build the muscle you have. Just not in a gym and not lifting iron.

I fully agree, and I don't know anyone who wouldn't, that not *everyone* needs to lift weights. But most people don't have that kind of lifestyle. There's a big difference between someone who does manual labor and someone who sits at a desk all day long.

Personally, I'd much rather gain muscle your way than at a gym. Sounds a lot more fun and rewarding!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Putting in 15 miles a day, riding horses, mucking stalls and landscaping aren't what I'd call "very little work." I'd call that really frickin' hard work! You put in work, a lot of work, to build the muscle you have. Just not in a gym and not lifting iron.
    No joke. I know what that's like. I used to work on a crew pulling out over 1500 bales of hay out of the field and putting them in a barn each day. During winter months we would cut and split enough wood to fill a flat bed 18 wheeler each week. I don't do that kind of work now. The weights in the gym are substitutes for this kind of work. If you're already working like a mule then naturally this wouldn't apply to you.

Some people are asking how many calories they burn dusting the house and doing nothing but cardio. That's the people the OP was addressing by saying get out there and lift some weight. Obviously this didn't apply specifically to you.

EDIT: This is the kind of nonsense "workout" I'm talking about.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/256499-calories-burned-at-pool
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options

There have been ups and downs in this "discussion". I think this is my queue to stop trying to honestly discuss this topic here or at least at this moment. The myth that the OP insisted is false is obviously so ingrained in some people that there's no point in having an honest discussion about it.

I worked my legs today. I wish I too were genetically gifted so I could skip, squats, lunges, and dead lifts.

3oo1xh.jpg

EDIT: Too bad this member doesn't have any photos of their awesome physique for inspiration for us mortals.

dbates71, I live with one of the anomalies and it is seriously annoying.

My mom is disabled. She was hit by a car while crossing the street back in 2005 and is still in a lot of pain from her injuries. She doesn't workout at all and does have weight to lose around her midsection, but the woman has great legs. They are tight and defined, have no pinchable fat, and she doesn't get the thigh spread when she sits. Her butt is lifted and doesn't jiggle at all. It is *very* irritating that she literally does nothing and has a butt and legs like she does.