Anyone here who lives their life free of alcohol?

Options

Replies

• rosawash
    rosawash Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've never had alcohol a day in my life. I didn't even have it at my wedding. We toasted with apple cider.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've never cared for alcohol, and don't drink at all. It's saved me much money, worry, and heartache over the years in comparison with most of my acquaintances and co-workers, who are all too happy to tell of things they regret doing while drunk.

Thank goodness I found an awesome guy who doesn't drink either (and neither of us are goody-goody preachy types, either! Most people are surprised that we don't drink!)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    If He did, that was His choice. So what's your point?
    Did Jesus drink wine?

I am a 27 yr. old Christian young lady and because of my faith, I have never had a drop of alcohol in my life and I strongly believe one should stay away from the stuff.
  • mommared53
    Options
    I am a 27 yr. old Christian young lady and because of my faith, I have never had a drop of alcohol in my life and I strongly believe one should stay away from the stuff.

Jesus drank wine.

Just sayin'.

Oh, and btw, I am a church-going, Jesus-loving Christian.

Self-righteousness isn't very pretty.

Why is it that because someone is a Christian and gives an opinion about their feeling regarding not drinking alcohol, that person is being self-righteous? Personally, I didn't get the feeling she was being self-righteous at all. Jesus also didn't marry or have sex so because of that should no Christian marry or have sex?
  • mommared53
    Options
    I've never had alcohol a day in my life. I didn't even have it at my wedding. We toasted with apple cider.

:flowerforyou:
  • PODGYPARTSMAN
    Options
    Hi,

Yeah I'm with you, I don't drink alcohol at all, years ago yes I tried it with my mate's, but did not like it at all. Give me water or fizzy drinks etc anytime. I don't smoke either, quite boring really. Hah Hah.

Ian. (podgypartsman)
  • Josieimdoinmenow
    Josieimdoinmenow Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't drink at all and neither does my family. My father was an alcoholic growing up so I avoid it altogether. It doesn't bother me being around other people who drink though. (as long as they are not acting crazy) I feel people have the freedom to do what they want to. I try not to judge. When my kids were little I never had them around people drinking though. To each his own.. but good for you!!! It is a good thing to stay away from!!
  • mkgates121
    Options
    I drink once in a while but most of the time I can never finish what I order. My father died from being an alcoholic and that whole side of the family has been involved in alcohol or drugs so I've said no thank you to that lifestyle. Sure one here and there is ok to me but why drink your life away and rather remember my goodtime then stumble around in a ditch or wake up next to a random person. No offense to drinkers out there but I don't see it fun or necessary to get drunk all the time. So great job to the non drinkers out there.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I don't say that I don't drink because I MIGHT have a drink once a year... but I can say that I could go the rest of my life without ever having a drip of alcohol and I'd be fine with it.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I don't drink because I don't like the taste of it. If I did, I'd probably be an alcoholic! ;) but seriously, I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.

I don't usually have friends (at this age) that like to drink a lot and do dumb things. You'll find more of those friends as you get older too. it's just too hard to recoup the next day so it's less likely to get out of hand the older you are.

alcohol is just poison anyway. :D
  • tanmarbar73
    Options
    I rarely ever drink- maybe once or twice a year. My dad is an alcoholic, so I've always been scared I would follow down that path.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i don't drink :-)
  • jeet1966
    jeet1966 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and could probably count on boh hands the number of times I have had my fruity slushy drinks. I have never enjoyed that weird feeling in my head (which my drinking friends call "the buzz"). I used to nurse a drink the whole evening just to avoid people asking why I wasn't drinking. Then a couple of years ago, I had enough of that and just stopped. I don't have a problem with people who drink but I just was sick of the pressure (you don't know what you're missing). Now I might have a bellini or something a few times (2-3) but that's it. I think it's cause I hate losing control that I don't enjoy drinking.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    On Monday, my dad, brother and I will be grilling some steaks out back of my dad's house. We normally sit outside and drink a beer together. Just the one, though. It's just something we do about once a year...sometimes twice (holidays).

I'm known as the designated driver amongst my peers (coaches). Doesn't bother me in the least. I know they'll get home safely, which they appreciate. They pay for all my food, water and gas when we go out, so it's pretty cool.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Many you have talked about the pressures to drink, to fit in ect.. Has anyone had success at getting groups together that are not centered around drinking? What did you do?
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if there are members on MFP who do not drink? Back on my 21st b-day, my friends took me out to celebrate. That is the one and only I have drank and I have not touched alcohol since. Well over two decades ago. I barely can stand going to a ballgame and having people drink around me. What about you?

I don't drink. Don't like the taste and don't like the feeling. Like you I had my one experience and didn't care for it. My friends drink when we go out and it doesn't bother them that I don't.
  • soymilkcoffee
    Options
    I'm a college student. I rarely drink, mostly because of the taste. Also because it feels like I'm drinking poison.
    Many you have talked about the pressures to drink, to fit in ect.. Has anyone had success at getting groups together that are not centered around drinking? What did you do?

I find myself in very awkward situations in college where everybody is ****-faced drunk and I'm sipping on my glass of wine. Lol. I usually just let myself have one or two mixed drinks that I like, and hold my last drink for the rest of the night. If it gets too uncomfortable, I just leave. :)
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol. I quit donkey's years ago.
  • WehttamThims
    WehttamThims Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    1014 days sober today
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I am 20 years old, I live in australia so the legal drinking age here is 18.

I drunk 4 times at the ages of 17 (yeah-rebel) and tried it again a few months ago, my body is completely compulsed by the stuff now, I drank barely a drop and started vomiting.. so practically I made myself intolerant. :)