Anyone here who lives their life free of alcohol?

Options

Replies

• ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it. I just have no interest. Once in a blue moon my BF might by some wine coolers, but that's about it. Even though, I might have just one. He likes to buy lemonade flavored ones which are great this time of year esp if we don't have lemonade on hand.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have also been living free of alcohol... I have not consumed alcohol since February 26, 1999...

I do not believe that there is anything wrong with sobriety...
  • clairegreen1974
    clairegreen1974 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Growing up both of my parents were VERY HEAVY drinkers, at least 12 cans of beer each per night. By my teens (and im talking 13 - legal age in UK is 18) I was drinking neat vodka. I thought that's what everyone did! honestly! I was drinking a lot until my late 20's but never in the house and never around my children until my marriage hit the rocks - there i was Christmas day, ringing mt friends asking if the off-licence was open where they were as id run out of Vodka. That was the turning point for me. I'd crossed the line, I was also in denial about my diagnosis of Arthritis. soon after with the help of my new partner now hubby <3 we both gave up drinking, we both gave up smoking too... 8 years free of both!

I have to say though, the culture in the UK is that you are somehow Weird if you DONT drink - I found that pretty much the entire social calendar revolves around drinking and pubs and nightclubs - and with the recession - which is the best deal down at Tesco/BoozeBusters, No one seems to think that going to the movies or for a meal is social event worthy and because of it, i have actually lost a lot of friends who just dont bother to ask me to go out anymore - unless they want a designated driver :(
  • adamlb
    adamlb Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't drink, never been interested - plus it's bad for you! Usually people find it weird and assume (quietly) I must be religious or the son of alcoholics, but eventually they get used to it. There's a very strong drinking culture in this country!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if there are members on MFP who do not drink? Back on my 21st b-day, my friends took me out to celebrate. That is the one and only I have drank and I have not touched alcohol since. Well over two decades ago. I barely can stand going to a ballgame and having people drink around me. What about you?

I drink about 1 unit a month as I rarely fancy a drink. Doesn't bother me if others are drinking alcoholic drinks around me, though, unless they are behaving like ****s.
  • Bradford72
    Bradford72 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol, but I don't condemn those who.

That's a refreshing post to read. Too many smug and condescending posts on here. If someone doesn't want to drink, great for them. I choose to drink in morderation because I enjoy good wine and scotch. Not because I "need" it...nobody does. But we shouldn't look down on people who choose to indulge. I choose to have a 150 calorie glass of wine over a 400 calorie sundae, so what? We all have our vices...even the numerous LDS posters here, so let's not cast stones people.

Speaking of...my ex was raised LDS and she drank and cursed like a sailor, so not all of you are without sin. Like I said...we all have our vices.

Rant over :-)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol, but I don't condemn those who.

That's a refreshing post to read. Too many smug and condescending posts on here. If someone doesn't want to drink, great for them. I choose to drink in morderation because I enjoy good wine and scotch. Not because I "need" it...nobody does. But we shouldn't look down on people who choose to indulge. I choose to have a 150 calorie glass of wine over a 400 calorie sundae, so what? We all have our vices...even the numerous LDS posters here, so let's not cast stones people.

Speaking of...my ex was raised LDS and she drank and cursed like a sailor, so not all of you are without sin. Like I said...we all have our vices.

Rant over :-)

I just want to say, none of us are without sin, even us Christians. I've read all 17 pages and haven't gotten the impression that anyone was smug or condescending. The thread is titled "Anyone here who lives their life free of alcohol?" so you should expect that people who don't drink are going to respond to this thread. I wonder why you even bothered to respond to this thread since it doesn't apply to you. I'm not being condescending either it just doesn't make any sense to me.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Going back to the first page, why do you think it is cool to drink? You may be developing a problem. At first my husband had that same idea. At the age of 53 he had been an alcoholic forat least 25 years and was declared legally drunk the next day on his way to work when he was killed in an automoblile accident and it was his fault. I don't drink. He drank enough for the both of us. I'm the widow and 50,000 dollars poorer because of alcohol.
  • _EmmaStrong_
    _EmmaStrong_ Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I do not drink, but only because I don't like the taste of any of it. I know lots of fantastically awesome people who drink on a regular basis. So I have nothing against anyone who drinks. Drinking doesn't have anything to do with someones' personality. It's all up to the individual and how they handle their drinking. Most of my friends drink at home, and handle their drinking in a mature manner.

@holly1283 - My heart goes out to you!
  • aoife_griffin
    aoife_griffin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol, at all - for a few reasons; I've tasted most drinks and didn't like them, I don't like to not be fully in control of myself, my dad drank an awful lot up to about two years ago and I was always afraid of him when he was drunk, and lastly I have an extremely addictive personality so I just don't even want to go there.
  • hyperionguy
    Options
    I have to agree with Bradford72. The thread is littered with smug and condescending tone. It is natural that the self-righteous don't see it. There is a tremendous lack of understanding, perspective and also really off-whack perceptions about drinking in this thread.

Yes, it is a thread asking who lives alcohol free, but those of us who don't can't sit idle while gross misrepresentations are presented by uninformed, inexperienced and sheltered people, .

On the other hand, those of you that have alcoholics in your family and have been directly impacted by alcoholism, I really feel for you and I'm sorry you had to live through that... it is awful. I have personally dealt with people who have been a part of that. It is ugly and life long. I applaud your strength and resolve when it comes to how you have had to deal with it.
  • obolton756
    obolton756 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i'm 19.. nearly 20 and from the UK which means i can legally drink from when i was 18, and i am proud to say i have never had a drink :) i don't see the appeal :) plus its unnessesary calories!!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I will take myself out of this thread now for my own reasons but first I will say that this is the internet and words in a thread don't always come across sounding like they are meant by the poster. Because I don't see the smug and condescending tone of the posts apparently makes me self-righteous? That couldn't be further from the truth.

Thank you to the OP for starting this thread and God bless all you (and I didn't realize there were so many) who choose not to drink for whatever reason.

Betty
  • jesterx888
    jesterx888 Posts: 181
    Options
    I don't. I grew up in a a family of alcoholics so for me the negatives greatly outweigh the positives of drinking.
  • jesterx888
    Options
  • kg4vjy
    kg4vjy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    non-drinker here/smoke free also
  • jesterx888
    Options
    I'm Mormon ;)
    (aka I don't drink. never have never will)

x2
  • jesterx888
    Options
    I don't because I'm LDS (Mormon). Grateful now beause of the extra calories I don't have to worry about, lol!! :D

Same here....But the temptation is there for me sometimes to try a jack and coke every now and then ......My dad is an alcoholic and my mom is a recovered alcoholic. I saw enough crap growing up that makes me not want to drink
  • Redbox357
    Redbox357 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't drink.

The main reason is I cant find any I like the taste of. I will have a sip of friends drinks to see if I could drink it, but as of yet I can honestly say I have not found one I like the taste of (and I am not going to drink just for the sake of it).

As a teenager I drank due to peer pressure, but never really liked it. I hated the morning after. Why give myself a headache and sick feeling for 'pleasure'. lol

If people want a drink to chill out and relax it is their choice and good for them, but If people binge drink to get leg-less then I really feel sorry for them that they have to go so far to 'have a good time'

Everyone to their own I say.

Not had a pint of beer in over 30 years now. I am happy with my glass of Pepsi. Cheers :-)
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    not me! I'm a salty old broad! Love my wine and chewy beers!:drinker: