Calling all Cathe fans!

Options

Replies

• StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,815 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!

Michelle, sounds like you've been having quite a time of it this week. Those muffins sound good. I've been struggling with really bad cravings for a number of months now, and my worst cravings are for peanut butter and chocolate (together....of course). Every other craving I seem to be able to avoid, but when I start getting the peanut butter/chocolate cravings, there is really no stopping me. :blushing: If anybody has any recommendations on how to combat that one (minus eating a quart of ice cream or dipping dark chocolate bars into a jar of Jif :tongue: ), I'm all ears.

Erika, I'm sorry to hear about the stress levels. I hope things get better soon. Regarding STS abs, I put them in when I can, to be honest. I think Cathe's initial STS rotation included 2-3 days of ab work a week. Some weeks, I work my abs 3 days. Other weeks, I feel like working them more. I really go based on my mood, what other workouts I've been doing (for instance, I don't like doing weights/plates abs on days when I've worked my upper body really hard) and how much time I have. I also, through both my rotations, haven't limited myself to doing just STS ab work when doing STS. In other words, I often reach for something like Butts&Guts for ab work, or Muscle Max. So my recommendation to you is to work your abs 2-3 days a week using whatever routine you think best suits your purposes.

Tami, I am definitely stronger this go around with Meso 3. I feel it more in my every day life, which is nice. In other words, the increased strength seems to be more functional this time around than it was last time. I don't have quite the definition I had when I was in this Meso last year, but that's because my diet hasn't been as good (see the reference to peanut butter and chocolate above.:laugh: ). But other people think I look really strong, so I'm not sure if I'm being ultra-critical of myself regarding how lean I look or not. But, more than anything, I'm really enjoying the strength gains.

Laurie, I'm glad to see you are feeling better. Getting through Max Interval Circuit with breaks is great!! I still struggle with those plank punches at times. Those are killers for me! Regarding Max Interval Sports Training, one of the reasons I didn't like the workout when I first tried it was because of those gymnastic moves. I also didn't feel like I kept my heart rate up enough throughout the workout to classify it as 'cardio'. But the more I do it, the more that changes. This last time I did it (last week), I kept my heart rate up throughout all of the gymnastics section. While I will never look like Shaun T. doing some of the moves, I have found a way to do them and make them more effective. So my recommendation is to keep working at it, and maybe, like me, you'll find a way to enjoy that gymnastics section. My favorite section--boxing!! I love those arm drills! :love:

I did Kickmax today. I felt like something 'lighter' after the tough workouts yesterday, and this was just what I needed. We're finally enjoying a little nicer weather, so I might go for a walk this afternoon. One more workout and then I start my last week of this rotation of STS. Where has the time gone?

Take care everybody!

Laurel
  • lvnascar
    lvnascar Posts: 3,458 Member
    Options
    Goodday to all! :flowerforyou:

I'm in a good mood today, because I'm taking the next two days off of work. DH left for Vegas this morning :frown: , and will not be home until next week Thurs. I will be doing double duty next week when the girls return to school. Hope they are willing to make their own lunches at least.

Max Interval Plyo is finished, and I had another great workout.

Tami, Nope I didn't get the Tonique workouts ordered yet. :embarassed: I will be ordering them this week though. I was having my worry about the oldest child last night. She went with friends to the water park capital of the world. This is only about a two hour drive away from us. We had major t-storms with heavy rain yesterday, and they where in the Dells area for almost three hours waiting for the storms to let up enough to drive safe. I'm very proud of all these kids for getting off the road when the conditions where not good. She called us after midnight to tell us she was safe at her friends house. Can't wait to get home and give her a hug. :love:

Erika, Sorry to hear that this week has been crazy busy for you. What Laurel said is correct, she put the ab workouts in about 2-3 times during the week. If I remember correctly she would put an ab workout with one or two of the STS workouts during the week, and then she would do something like KPC (which includes abs), as another workout. I agree with Laurel that the weights/plates workout was not a good one to do with an upper body workout. That one has you use alot of your shoulders. My favorite was the no-equipment workout.

Michelle, You really have been having some crazy nights. Hope that little one of yours starts getting more restful nights. Hope that ice cream monster does not arrive. :wink: BFBM sounds like a great workout to get your morning going. My hubby is also the coffee maker in the house, I'm going to have to set the timer on the coffe maker next week or I may not have any. :noway:

Laurel, I had a PB Egg last night, so I'm no help with the craving thing. :embarassed: When I start to worry, then the munching starts. Thanks for the advice on the MIST workout, I am keeping at least one Insanity workout in my rotation. I also really enjoyed the Boxing section, and was totally happy that this one included my favorite type of exercise. Probably why I like this one so much. Now Kickmax is one of those workouts that I always considered tough, and now you say it is a light workout for you. :drinker: That is one of the first ones I'm trying out with my undulating rotation, so will see if this one is finally on the light side for me. :laugh:

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • bajangrl29
    bajangrl29 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies,

Although my sleep was limited I woke up early this morning, made my own coffee:grumble: and pressed play for No More Trouble Zones w/Jillian and then I added15-20mins of jumprope.:bigsmile: I'm working back up to 30mins, I can't believe I use to do 30 mins intervals when I was losing weight after my eldest was born:huh:

I feel much better this morning and just had to get myself out of a funk:blushing:

Laurel- I went through a bad period of peanut M&M's and it was usually around that time of month. As I don't normally like chocolate..wierd I know...it was so crazy but every month like clockwork:laugh: I gave it up last Xmas and has not touched one since:wink: These Vitamuffins or Muffin tops come in a variety of flavors and I do recall a chocolate chunk for you chocolate lovers:laugh: calories are approx.. 90 a piece w/5 grms of fiber, very healthy. Google Vitamuffins

Laurie- Throw the Easter candy away or freeze it:laugh: Glad to hear they took the smart route and pulled over for safety sakes. Sometimes it is the other drivers that can be a danger on the road so kudos to them for making a great decision as a group.

Erika- After this work week you deserve to book yourself an hour of me time..enjoy a book, a soak in the tub with candles, etc

Tami- How are you? I'm waiting for that Tonique to get here...not really:laugh:

Have a wonderful day!
    Michelle
  • fitzfour
    fitzfour Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies-

I only have a quick minute to pop in and say hi, but I'm here...

Work is crazy still, can't wait for the weekend!!! This morning was STS Disc 5--loved it as usual! I need to start working the abs in to the mix..maybe at night or something as I use up every minute I have in the mornings.

You girls continue to motivate me with your workouts! Way to rock it!

I have a suggestion regarding the cravings. Vanilla yogurt (I use Chobiani Vanilla Honey) with a tablespoon of chocolate syrup and a tablespoon of PB. Much lower calorie than the chocolate bar or candy, and tastes like a Reese PB Cup. It's my new fave treat!!!

Have a good one...off for a lunch time walk!
  • 2BLean
    2BLean Posts: 2,373 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies ~ :flowerforyou:

Finished up Spinning last night and then this a.m. was Disc #11 Back & Triceps. It was good although my HR monitor wasn’t working very good. I just love using that for my workouts so when it doesn’t seem accurate it’s a bummer. :huh: I got to thinking of what you had mentioned earlier Laurie about the battery. Wondering if it running low?

Erika: I think Laurie & Laurel have answered that for you on the STS Abs. I just always tried to fit it in after one of the workouts, which I had to plan for time wise. I really like No Equip & Stability Ball abs on that DVD. :wink:

Michelle: Thanks for asking ~ I’m good. Can’t wait to hear about your Tonique experiences when you get them. I did order the Tonique 2 and it arrived yesterday. One more for the collection and looking forward to it! :tongue: I’m sorry to hear about your sleepless nights …. That is not fun at all. I know when I wake up more than a couple times in the night I feel so tired the next day. Hopefully tonight will be better! Good on ya :drinker: for plugging away with your workout regardless, I bet it felt great when you were done!

Laurel: That’s great on the strength increase ~ I know for me just in this Endurance/Shock rotation I can tell the difference as well, (ie: increasing weights in a lot of the columns as I mentioned before). I’m hoping to see some improvements on definition and strength when we do the Undulating. DIET will be the key. Again, figuring out that right mix of foods.
    Kick Max – LOVE that one! I was thinking about that workout and hoping to fit it in soon. Maybe instead of one of the MMA workouts.
    I’m sorry you are still struggling with those choc/PB cravings. I bet that drives you a little bit crazy. I am one of those unusual women who doesn’t crave chocolate UNLESS I have had a garlicky type of dinner. Weird but true. I will try and think of something for you. Erika's suggestion sounds good. I love the Chobani yogurt. :love: What about the SF Swiss Miss Cocoa? Something to sip and gives you a little chocolate fix but only 25 calories. Just a thought.

Laurie: You are going to be a busy lady while the hubby is gone! I bet you girls will have fun though. Glad your workouts are going good this week. I bet you can’t wait to give your daughter a big hug. That’s awesome she is so responsible to call you and make good decisions it sounds!

Hope you ladies have a great day! :smile:
    Tami
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Hi everybody!

I decided today would be another tough workout day. I started this morning with STS Disk 33 (shoulders/triceps/biceps) and, because of the conversation here, decided to do my favorite ab routine which, like others, is No Equipment Abs. And this afternoon, I just finished Insanity Max Cardio Conditioning. It felt great. :drinker: I'm going to take a couple days off lifting now to give my forearms a rest (they sure get sore doing bicep curls!). I'm toying with doing the upper body workouts for the last week twice (like I did for this week) as I have enough time to do that before we leave for Hawaii (in twelve days....not that I'm counting :tongue: ). I'll see how my forearms feel before I decide to do that. It felt good to lift with the upper body twice this week, so....

Laurie, glad to hear you are doing good. I hope you enjoy your days off work. I think you'll be surprised how much Insanity will have improved your cardio conditioning. Kickmax isn't 'easy', but it definitely is easier than the workouts in Insanity. I'm sure you'll feel the same way once you do it again....though I still find myself counting down the last few drills towards the end of the workout. :happy:

Michelle, good for you in 'pushing play' this morning. I'm definitely going to look into those muffins. My cravings for peanut butter and chocolate are purely emotional. I can tell the difference between hormonal cravings, physical cravings (like my body actually needs something) and emotional cravings. The first two I can push aside without any effort whatsoever. But the emotional cravings....not so much. When life is smooth sailing, I don't have any problems. But when life is throwing curve balls, well....that's another story. And, usually, around those times, I too often say to myself 'I just don't care!' I have had my ups and downs recently given our recent move (I wasn't really ready to leave the United States or being near my family again!), but every passing week is a little better than the week before.

Erika, I also appreciate your suggestions. Chocolate, peanut butter and vanilla yogurt sounds so good! I'll definitely be trying that one. Regarding STS abs, I find the routines to be a bit long so I understand how difficult they are to fit in. That's one of the reasons I sometimes reach for other ab routines instead. But they are very effective. So if you get a chance to include them a couple of days a week, you'll probably really enjoy them. I hope things calm down for you soon.

Tami, thanks also for the recommendation of cocoa. You know, it's funny you mention that because I find hot drinks (like cinnamon tea) really help me when I get some of my cravings. I've never really tried to do that with cocoa, but I guess it would probably work wonders for me.

Regarding your and Laurie's issues with you HRMs, you know I've been having issues with mine for months. If you find that it isn't the batteries or how it is programmed, it could be that you are both facing a similar issue to what I faced. Just as background, I was extremely frustrated with my HRM a couple of months ago. With each passing workout, it was registering fewer and fewer calories burned. I could do something like Insanity Max Interval Circuit and it would show a 250 calorie burn. And I knew I was giving it my all for that hour. I was trying to eat my maintenance calories and the calories I burned, but I was starving to death (I mean I was so hungry I was in pain some days), but I just going on what my HRM said. I even upped my maintenance calories as high as I could on this site (by saying my lifestyle is very active....which it isn't outside of exercise), and even eating those, I still felt like I was eating too little. But I felt compelled to keep working out harder and harder because of what my HRM was telling me.

I read a series of posts on this board by a poster named Azdak who explained, in great detail, why HRMs (especially those like mine, which is a Polar F4) aren't really accurate in counting calories, especially on people who are more fit. Ever since then, I have tossed my HRM aside (except for when I run, and that is to monitor my heart rate, not count calories), increased my calories, and things are working out MUCH better for me now. If either of you have questions on this, I might be able to track down some of the posts where he explains why HRMs aren't always accurate. So let me know if you would like more information. I still find it frustrating because there really is no other way of tracking a calorie burn, but I'd rather go without and listen to my body than beat myself up after a tough workout for not having worked out hard enough if what I'm looking at isn't accurate.

I hope this finds everybody well. Enjoy your Thursday!

Laurel
  • lvnascar
    Options
    Morning All,

Wonderful day, but we had snow on the ground this morning. :noway: Still having flakes come down, but it is suppose to be getting warmer tomorrow. We will be heading out to do some shopping for the oldest DD's prom. We have her dress ordered, but apparently we need some shoes, etc.... :wink:

Max Cardio Conditioning is done. Need to get in either Insane or Cardio abs yet, and I would like to include some yoga into the mix also.

Michelle, Jumping rope for any amount of time is hard work. I to used to be able to jump rope for a long time. I was never super good at the fancy stuff though. :laugh: Your workout sounded like a great combination. I to had to make my own coffee this morning, but I guess I can do that since I'm off of work. Next week will be the test. :happy:

Erika, I love Chobaini yogurt, just wish it would agree with me. :cry: I can eat plain yogurt, but not the Greek style. Hopefully next week isn't so hectic for you. You also keep up the great work with your workouts.

Tami, You are right I did enjoy the big hug I received from my DD. She didn't even let me put my bags down, and I was getting hugged. That is one thing that I miss about them getting older. They really don't require those hugs like they did when they where little. The youngest one still needs her everyday hug. :happy: I did change my battery on the HR monitor, and it seems to be working better.

Laurel, Again I'm wishing I was headed to Hawaii with you. One place I would dearly love to visit. I remember the forearms really getting worked during STS. Probably a great choice to do the upper body workouts twice, since you probably would like those arms looking super good before you leave. :wink: So I'm not the only one that does the countdown on Kickmax. I though it was just me. :laugh: My HR monitor would actually stop right in the middle of the workout. I would look at my watch, and it was not on the part where my HR would register. That is where I normally keep it so I can watch my HR. The watch was on the time portion, and the clock was not running. So I knew at some point the watch had glitched. I have seen how my cal. burn has gone down with each time I try these workouts. It was a bit disapointing at first, but then I realized that I was improving in the cardiovascular department of my workouts. :drinker:

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • 2BLean
    Options
    Good Afternoon!

Today was Athletic Step and tonight will be Strength/Interval/BootCamp – whichever she decides! :wink:

Great job AGAIN on the workouts Laurel! I bet it felt awesome. :smile: Yes, get those arms all beautified before Hawaii! :happy: 12 days ….. WOW. I would be absolutely on the countdown forsure.
    I remember you mentioning that thread (which I meant to read and never did) :blushing: but yes, it would be nice to not completely rely on that. I try to use it mostly as a gauge because it was only a couple years ago that I started using one at all. When I found MFP actually. I have the Polar F6 and they said the batteries should be good for approx 2 yrs. So maybe that is what’s happening. Just finding a local place to take it just to see would be good.

Laurie: I know what you mean on the crazy weather. We have been having really high winds, rain, sunshine, hail, sunshine, rain. All in one day! :noway: Hope you have a really fun day with your daughters. Special times I say! My mom and I still absolutely love our days of just hanging out and shopping when we get the chance.

Erika: Did you get your walk in at lunch?! I LOVE Chobani. I buy the Fat Free Plain and put blueberries or strawberries in with it. YUM. I had a hard time finding it for a while then my regular store was the only place but they didn’t stock enough. Others have caught on and now they are fully stocked . My hubby has decided maybe he needs to start eating it even.

Speaking of which everyone ~ as I have mentioned before he has always thought I was crazy for my early a.m. workouts and healthy food (a good crazy but still) and as of last Friday he joined a gym near our house and started working out! Really happy for him and hope he sticks with it. :happy: I know he will feel so much better. What I love is how the trainer told him some things on eating (which I told him) and now he believes it! I guess sometimes hearing it from someone else works better. Either way, it’s all good but funny! I thought about getting him the Eat Clean for Men book.

Michelle: Hope you are having a good day!

Talk to you all soon, back to work! :flowerforyou:
    Tami
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Hi everybody!

I had a good workout this morning. I started with a Cathe HiiT workout, and then did 45 minutes of Tonique Mat. I stopped at 45 minutes because I got a phone call. :grumble: But up to that point, the workout felt much better--though still tough--than it did the first time I did it. We had a beautiful day today, so I also went for a very long walk this afternoon.

Tami, I hope your husband sticks with his workout regime. My husband runs hot and cold with his, and I see such a change in him when he is working out (more energy in particular). I'm lucky because my husband does listen to me in these matters. He listens....and then goes off and does his own thing. :laugh:

Laurie, I'm sorry to hear you are still getting snow! I imagine, given that, that Hawaii does sound good to you! This will be the third time I've been, and all visits have been to attend conferences. I'd really like to see something other than Oahu/Honolulu some day, but I'm not complaining about just being able to see that either. :happy: Thanks to both you and Tami on the feedback for doing the STS upper body workouts twice. I will plan on that and see if my forearms can take it. I hope so!

I'm taking tomorrow off from exercise and will start those Meso 3 Week 4 workouts on Sunday. :drinker: I still can't believe I'm finishing another STS rotation. I've loved every minute of it and can't wait to start up again in a few weeks with the undulating rotation.

I hope everybody has a great Friday and a terrific weekend. :flowerforyou:

Laurel
  • fitzfour
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!

Wow, am I glad it's Friday! :bigsmile: I'm hoping next week slows down and is more enjoyable!

This morning was STS Disc 6--Legs. My gosh were my legs shaking. I'm following the weights based on my 1RM, and can do them and fatigue at the end, but really wondering what I'm going to be doing in the other Meso's. I haven't looked ahead, but if I'm supposed to up my weights, I better go buy some more...I was doing mainly 20's and 25's this morning...could have done 30's, but not probably for all of them. So far the forearms are doing ok with it...not the case when I did CE!

Laurel--Love the workout combo you did this morning! 2 of my favorites!
    Tami--No walk at lunch. I was on the road all day for work, so was lucky to even get lunch in with how close my meetings were scheduled together! But, I survived the day and hopefully don't have any more like that anytime soon!
    Laurie--Dare I say I'm jealous? I am one of those rare people that LOVES snow, especially when the temps are warmer so I can actually get out there and not be freezing! We had a large snowfall mid April last year and I was outside building our family out of snowmen...my neighbors thought I was nuts! I even took pictures as proof!
    Michelle--I just bought a jump rope this weekend...can't wait to use that in addition to workouts!

Hope you all have a fabulous Friday!
  • 2BLean
    Options
    Good Afternoon Friends :flowerforyou:

I have had the pleasure of being off work today so just logging in! It's amazing how fast a day off goes. This a.m. I had STS Legs Disc #12; after last night's strength class my legs were feeling it but it was a good push! :wink: I might try and get in a workout at home this evening if the hubby is gone to the gym. Otherwise tomorrow a.m. I'm planning on a good Cardio.

Laurel: Glad you are having nice weather ~ that is so refreshing and always does wonders for my mood! Hopefully you will have a nice day off from STS/Workouts tomorrow. Sounds like you had another great workout today. I bet your legs were a little tired. :huh:

Erika: It's amazing how the STS workouts work you in every direction isn't it?!? You probably will need some heavier weights; definitely by Meso #3 you will be increasing. Another thing you can do is get the weighted gloves. I used those during Meso 3 and it helped for that additional couple of lbs. in some exercises vs say 5 lbs.

Laurie & Michelle - Hope you both are enjoying your Friday!

Hope everyone has a good weekend! :smile:
    Tami
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Hi everybody! I hope you all had a good weekend.

I took Saturday off from working out, as planned. Boy, did I need it. I felt really tired and sluggish all day long. My husband and I took a drive to a national park about two hours south of where we live, and my husband decided he wanted to hike up to a water fall. I wasn't at all prepared for it, and about 2/3 the way up, I told him I'd had enough. :embarassed: My legs just felt like they weighed a hundred pounds each. And, of course, the fact that I was wearing slick soled shoes up the side of a mountain, climbing over rocks, etc didn't help much. :grumble: But I felt much better yesterday, and started my last week of STS with chest/back. I also did Insanity Pure Cardio. And today I did squat rack legs followed by Insanity's Max Interval Plyo. So a couple of tough days of workouts. Tomorrow I'll do the shoulder/bicep/tricep workout, and then take a day off lifting. After that, I'll repeat (with an extra day of rest) except do the STS Plyo Legs....and then I'll be done with this rotation AND ready (hopefully!) to take on Hawaii.

Erika, I echo was Tami said about needing more weight, especially once you get towards Meso 3. Right now, my highest dumbbells are 40lbs each, which I use for bent-over rows, one arm rows (with added wrist weights) and legs (with a weighted vest). The weight is just about right for me with the row exercises, but I could use more with my legs. As far as the forearms, mine don't start hurting me until towards the end of Meso 2, and they only hurt me when doing biceps. I know others have complained about their forearms hurting from gripping the weights for things like deadlifts, but I don't have that problem. But when I start lifting more with my biceps....ouch!

Enjoy your Monday!
  • lvnascar
    Options
    Morning Ladies,

I had a wonderful time off and was really lazy. Well not in my workouts, because I got those done each day. But I was a couch bum on Thurs, Friday was cleaning the house, Saturday & Sunday I got some reading done. Actually had time to finish a book that I had been trying to get done for two months. :wink:

Picked up a Weight Watchers magazine that was something like 101 recipies. Made the Shrimp Tacos last night, and boy where those good. They followed my 40/40/20 ratio also. :happy:

Tami, That is great that your DH is getting on the exercise wagon. My DH took his 10 min. Trainers with him to Vegas. I asked him yesterday if he had done any of them. He said that he hasn't done them everyday, but he did get a couple of days finished. This week is more walking at his conference, so he will be getting in lots of exercise doing that. Wonder if he will like the tacos. :laugh:

Laurel, Dang on the hike to the waterfall, guess your legs have been working really hard. Your workout combos are really tough, and I'm hopeful for myself when I start STS on the 26th. My STS days will be cardio in the morning and STS after work. Like you I'm really looking forward to lifting some weights with STS. I'm so glad that this is my last week with the Insanity workouts. :laugh: If this rotation had gone on for another 30 days, I don't think I could have completed it. Well maybe if he had another 4 new workouts. :wink: Getting the weight lifting bug though.

Erika, :wink: I'm glad you enjoy the snow, I love it until just after Christmas. :laugh: Totally agree with the others on getting some higher weights. I need to get some 40's & 45's before I do a Meso 3 workout. The weighted gloves do work great, like Tami said.

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • fitzfour
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies...it's a new week...and hopefully a quieter one!!!

I did some of Cathe's Punch Kick and Crunch as well as no equipment abs (ouch!) on Saturday, after attemping to run on the treadmill, but my legs were just not having it. The STS Legs on Friday killed my legs!! Sunday was a rest day, although I was running around a lot with the kids, so not a rest from activity!

This morning was STS Disc 7. Found my hubby's barbell, so added that to the mix...I think I'll be hurtin tomorrow! I just can't believe how sore I am from STS...I don't get sore from other workouts, but this one gets me every time!

Thanks for the advise on the extra weight. I ordered Cathe's weighted vest and some wrist weights. I'm ready now!

Erika
  • bajangrl29
    Options
    GM Ladies,

Busy, busy busy...as my stay at home contracts varies through the year, this year the offered overtime has me clocking in everyday. The benefits of course is going on vaction debtfree which I love to do:wink:

This weekend was a full body workout with heavy weights, the next 4 weeks I will be increasing as I'm tired of high reps:huh: I wanted to work those muscles so I pulled out the barbell, 40lbs, 30lbs, & 50's. I must say that I'm feeling it especially in my quads:noway: Overall it felt great to push myself as I'm the one who loves weight lifting versus cardio:bigsmile:

I'm schedule for Muscle Max this afternoon as Tues & Thursdays are my HIIT sessions, so I'm hoping that I don't have to switch up my schedule this week.

Now it is off to my least favorite part...plugging in the nutrition:grumble: It is sad when eating is such a chore.

Have a great day:flowerforyou:

Michelle
  • 2BLean
    Options
    Happy Monday to everyone! :smile:

Completed STS #13 (Shoulders/Chest/Triceps) … I forgot how much longer the Meso 2 workouts seem to take w/the “breaks” in between. Felt good though! Tonight will be Kick Boxing. :happy:

Laurel: Ouch on the shoes/legs. I bet your feet were not enjoying the hike along with your poor tired legs. Good on ya for getting in some fabulous workouts yesterday though. :wink: On the countdown forsure to Hawaii!

Laurie: Glad you had some nice time with your daughters and being off work. That’s great! :wink: Almost done with Insanity!
    It is great the hubby is getting on board. I enjoy it because I know how much better he will feel. He is relying on me for most all of his meals :huh: so doing double duty on the food prep but I am glad to help out for now to get him on track. He met with his trainer this a.m. (he only has a few sessions with her and then on his own). My “weird” food keeps getting brought up as suggestions to him ……… hmm! Guess I am doing a few things right!

Michelle: Enjoy your workout this afternoon ~ You always seem to have a really nice variety of workouts, that’s great!

Erika: The vest and the hand weights are a great tool …. Especially for Meso 3.

What is everyone’s thoughts on the eating prior to workouts? My hubby informed me that his trainer told him not to eat prior to a cardio workout (because you are just burning the calories of what you just ate) but to eat prior to lifting weights. She even suggest if he were going to do both in one session & doing cardio first to bring a shake and drink it after the cardio; prior to the weight workout. I used to not eat at all before working out until probably STS that I started having something. I usually just have something like a banana prior to a cardio workout and maybe a protein shake/banana combo prior to weight workout.

Hope you all have a great day! :flowerforyou:
    Tami
  • fitzfour
    Options
    Happy Monday to everyone! :smile:

Completed STS #13 (Shoulders/Chest/Triceps) … I forgot how much longer the Meso 2 workouts seem to take w/the “breaks” in between. Felt good though! Tonight will be Kick Boxing. :happy:

Laurel: Ouch on the shoes/legs. I bet your feet were not enjoying the hike along with your poor tired legs. Good on ya for getting in some fabulous workouts yesterday though. :wink: On the countdown forsure to Hawaii!

Laurie: Glad you had some nice time with your daughters and being off work. That’s great! :wink: Almost done with Insanity!
    It is great the hubby is getting on board. I enjoy it because I know how much better he will feel. He is relying on me for most all of his meals :huh: so doing double duty on the food prep but I am glad to help out for now to get him on track. He met with his trainer this a.m. (he only has a few sessions with her and then on his own). My “weird” food keeps getting brought up as suggestions to him ……… hmm! Guess I am doing a few things right!

Michelle: Enjoy your workout this afternoon ~ You always seem to have a really nice variety of workouts, that’s great!

Erika: The vest and the hand weights are a great tool …. Especially for Meso 3.

What is everyone’s thoughts on the eating prior to workouts? My hubby informed me that his trainer told him not to eat prior to a cardio workout (because you are just burning the calories of what you just ate) but to eat prior to lifting weights. She even suggest if he were going to do both in one session & doing cardio first to bring a shake and drink it after the cardio; prior to the weight workout. I used to not eat at all before working out until probably STS that I started having something. I usually just have something like a banana prior to a cardio workout and maybe a protein shake/banana combo prior to weight workout.

Hope you all have a great day! :flowerforyou:
    Tami

I used to not eat before working out, but found I would run out of energy about 1/2 way through. Now, I will grab a banana, raisins or yogurt before I workout (I read in my Oxygen magazine that yogurt is a good pre workout snack as it's easy to digest). I always do a protein shake after my workouts (within about 15 minutes). I find I'm able to push myself more when I've had something to eat prior to working out...
  • 2BLean
    Options
    Hey Erika ~ Thanks ~ I feel like I'm on the right track with what I have been doing; especially since a lot of my workouts happen only about 9-10 hrs apart with the p.m. and early a.m. workouts. I also feel sort of shaky and out of energy sometimes if I don't have something! p.s. Don't you LOVE :love: Oxygen magazine?!?!? It is truly my favorite fitness magazine! They also recommend over and over about pre & post workout snacks. :wink: Thanks again for your feedback ..... have a great rest of your day! :flowerforyou:

Tami
  • bajangrl29
    Options
    For myself I eat oatmeal & cranberries w/PP prior to weights as it gives me the energy. As far as cardio I prefer to do it in a fasted state thus burn off some fat during the workout. If I'm low carbing and doing a HIIT session then a protein based snack such as an egg or 1/2 a shake is better to prevent catabolism.

If you are doing weights and then follow up with cardio then a pre-wo meal is necessary and then I like to drink Xtend during the cardio. It helps with recovery big time:bigsmile:

Whew.... I just came from out of the garage moving the treadmill back in its workout position...lots of dust bunnies:blushing

Funny about the hubby as mine started his morning runs today, then he came home and took the 9 year old walking and running:grumble: . Hmnnn I think the 3 year old is next:laugh: This weekend we are putting up the volleyball net which I can't wait to play as I'm teaching the 9 year old the game and she loves that and Badminton.

Weights are done and Cathe worked me well:bigsmile:

Michelle
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Hi everybody!

Did another intense workout today. I started with STS Disk 36 (shoulder/tricep/bicep) and ended with Drill Max Ultra Cardio Premix. I took some time off in between which is good! My forearms were much better today during the bicep work which made me very happy. One more time through these week 4 workouts and then I'm officially done with another STS rotation. :drinker:

Laurie, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your time off. I really enjoyed doing the 60 day Insanity rotation, but, like you, at the end of it I was itching to get back to my weights. While I think I'll continue to use the workouts for a long time, I have no plans on ever doing another straight Insanity rotation. My body just likes strength training too much for that.

Erika, those leg workouts in Meso 1 kill my legs! I love them while doing them, but I feel them the day after. Nothing has come close to transforming my lower body like the STS leg workouts. I can't really understand why either, but they work magic for me. Even coming through this rotation where I'm not eating as well as I did the last rotation, my husband keeps telling me over and over again how good my legs look. Mind you, this is the same man who told me some 20 years ago (before we got married) that he didn't think I had nice legs!! So it comes as a surprise to hear it 20 years later....and I like it!

Michelle, great way to change up your workouts. I'm with you on the strength training love. I love what cardio does for my spirit (when I'm finished with my cardio, of course), but if I had to choose between strength training and cardio, I'd choose strength training every day of the week.

Tami, your observation about going from Meso 1 to Meso 2 makes me wonder how this undulating rotation is going to feel. I'm so excited to try it because I really do think it will be 'shocking' to the body. About eating before workouts, I've heard you should always have something in your stomach before working out. I never do strength training on an empty stomach, but I must admit that if I'm working out before 6:00am, I often do my cardio on an empty stomach. This isn't really good, though, from what I understand because the body feeds off of itself instead of food/fuel for this. But, from everything I've read/heard, eating a couple hundred calories of something that has carbs and protein (like a banana with some peanut butter as an example or yogurt--as Erika suggested--with some berries) about 45 minutes before you workout is really the best thing. I usually eat a full breakfast (oatmeal with peanut butter) before I workout most days, but I have the time to do that in the morning. Again, if I were working out earlier than I am (I start about 7:00am or so), then I'd opt for a smaller snack.

I hope you all have a great day!

Laurel