Walking With Pedometers

Options

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies, I have one word for you all INSPIRATIONAL!!!!!:bigsmile: I havent logged into mfp for a while, i went to check out the boards, i've never looked at the excercise one but am so glad I did today!! I have to say my intentions are always good, but never get around to doing what I should, a friend and i walk sometimes after work, we've been trying to work together on walking, i wear my pedometer and usually get around 4000 steps a day if i walk with her otherwise about 1800 steps...i have a sit down job , have gained so much weight and am scared to death of the consequences now. Im on a mission to lose...I did lose 100lbs in 6 months about 12 years ago just by walking everyday so I know it can be done....If you girls dont mind I'd like to join your group. I have ALOT of weight to lose, currently at 375, I'd like to be around 150-- i have one obstacle, my knees ...the last few months i am in so much pain...i need to do something NOW im only 38 and i've contemplated getting a cane.... I bought the walk away the pound videos (miles 1-3) a year ago but admit i've only used the 1 mile a few times...havent even opened the other package.... so if you do the videos does each mile count for 2000 steps??
    I cannot tell you how ready I am to get moving!! Im so happy I ran into this msg board!!! :flowerforyou: thank you all very much!!

Welcome, I am just now started to walk with a pendometer. I walk with a walker that has a seat do I can rest along the way. My hips are bothering me some now. But My Jack Russell, Sammy insist I walk with him. He used to walk with my hubby, but now he wont go unless i go too. He is a little chubby too so he really needs the walks. again welcome be fooking forward to your posting. Calie
  • everyday
    everyday Posts: 127
    Options
    Ok ladies, I have one word for you all INSPIRATIONAL!!!!!:bigsmile: I havent logged into mfp for a while, i went to check out the boards, i've never looked at the excercise one but am so glad I did today!! I have to say my intentions are always good, but never get around to doing what I should, a friend and i walk sometimes after work, we've been trying to work together on walking, i wear my pedometer and usually get around 4000 steps a day if i walk with her otherwise about 1800 steps...i have a sit down job , have gained so much weight and am scared to death of the consequences now. Im on a mission to lose...I did lose 100lbs in 6 months about 12 years ago just by walking everyday so I know it can be done....If you girls dont mind I'd like to join your group. I have ALOT of weight to lose, currently at 375, I'd like to be around 150-- i have one obstacle, my knees ...the last few months i am in so much pain...i need to do something NOW im only 38 and i've contemplated getting a cane.... I bought the walk away the pound videos (miles 1-3) a year ago but admit i've only used the 1 mile a few times...havent even opened the other package.... so if you do the videos does each mile count for 2000 steps??
    I cannot tell you how ready I am to get moving!! Im so happy I ran into this msg board!!! :flowerforyou: thank you all very much!!

Hello Chubsternomore WELCOME aboard!! We are so glad you joined us :smile: :smile: :smile: We'll be your biggest cheer leaders. I'm right with ya, I never do what (((I know ))) I need to do for me... but counting steps is a GREAT start/ base! I wish you ALL the luck in the world! You can do this :flowerforyou:

We're home from our short shopping trip, the 1st Homecoming dress my daughter tried on was ment for her!!! She looks beautiful in it!! I was crying happy tears.:cry:
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hi Walkers:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: ,
    I've been lurking around this thread for about a week and you all seem to have a good thing going. I can't find my other thread (turbo jammers) and am looking for some folks to join on our quest for fitness. What I've been doing is some kind of TJ dvd and walking on my treadmill for about an hour in the evenings mon-thurs, Friday rest day, Sat and Sunday a 4 mi walk outside. I wore my counter on my walk today and did 7400 steps!
    Thanks you all for being here and giving me some extra motivation!! Keep up the great work and I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday,
    Janet:heart:
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Welcome Dragonfly11! I hope this is the first of many posts here. I have been helped immeasurably by this site. So many supportive members and keeping myself accountable has done wonders for my motivation and ability to sustain weight loss. :flowerforyou:
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Hello Chubsternomore and welcome! Time goes by for all of us whether we do the right things or not. Better to do them for our health, well-being and self-esteem. We are on this thread for ourselves and to offer support to other members. All you need to join us is a desire to walk for good health and/or weight loss and a pedometer. If you fall off the proverbial wagon, we don't yell or lecture, we are here to help you up. Remember these things and you will never lose your way for long. . .

Ladies,

I walked 8.5 , miles today and here's the breakdown . . . 1.2 miles leisure walking, 1.3 miles walking my dog, Leslie Sansone's " Start Walking 1 Mile" and her "Five Mile Fat Burning Walk." I am a concerned because I will be in an all-day seminar for the next two days which is far from my house and several hours drive. Since I will likely have 2 back to back 12-hour days, I don't know how much walking I'll accomplish, but I'll do my best. I want to wish all of you a happy and healthy upcoming week. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hello Chubsternomore and welcome! Time goes by for all of us whether we do the right things or not. Better to do them for our health, well-being and self-esteem. We are on this thread for ourselves and to offer support to other members. All you need to join us is a desire to walk for good health and/or weight loss and a pedometer. If you fall off the proverbial wagon, we don't yell or lecture, we are here to help you up. Remember these things and you will never lose your way for long. . .

Ladies,

I walked 8.5 , miles today and here's the breakdown . . . 1.2 miles leisure walking, 1.3 miles walking my dog, Leslie Sansone's " Start Walking 1 Mile" and her "Five Mile Fat Burning Walk." I am a concerned because I will be in an all-day seminar for the next two days which is far from my house and several hours drive. Since I will likely have 2 back to back 12-hour days, I don't know how much walking I'll accomplish, but I'll do my best. I want to wish all of you a happy and healthy upcoming week. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Your little Jack Russell is so cute. Is that a bow tie or just his makings.~~~~~~~~```calie
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Your little Jack Russell is so cute. Is that a bow tie or just his makings.~~~~~~~~```calie

My Dear Calie,

While I would love to have taken ownership for that adorable Jack Russell, he was Frasier's dog, Eddie, on the sitcom. I simply love the breed and love the show. But, I'll tell you what, I will replace him with a picture of my own Jack Russell. Mine is named Taffi, and she is primarily white, except for her ears which are tan. So the next dog you see in my avatar will be mine. Cheers, Peschuntz

This is my dog, Taffi.
  • chubsternomore
    Options
    :smile: Thank you all very much for making me feel so welcome! I am excited to get to know you! I will admit that I really dont like walking in public...not since I've gotten so large...the last few times kids made fun of me and im just like :mad: i finally get out there to do something for myself and it starts and it makes me feel like a kid again.....I work a few days after work with my friend from work but on Mondays and Tuesdays I am off .....so tomorrow morning I plan on doing my leslie sansone video...maybe try the 2 mile?? I will see:wink: I havent weighed myself in a while either so tomorrow morning Im going to go ahead and weigh in and update my profile...

I decided to set my first goal for myself...I would like to make it to it to 7000 a day by next Friday, and then by Nov 1st be at 10,000.
  • annasid78
    Options
    It has been awhile again. I am still steppin. :wink: Here are my numbers as of late
    Tuesday:8964 My number should be higher. I did a spin class and my ped dosn't pick it up. So I got at the very least 10. I am sure more than that...

Wednesday: 9782 No formal exercise this day

Thursday 13121 I did C25K W3D4

Friday 6892 no formal exercise, was sick, AGAIN

Saturday 13758 I did my new 5 mile WATP DVD- Not a huge fan...

Sunday 11722 Not to shabby. I slept in (10am), took care of a sick kiddo most of the night. He slept in the am, so did I! And I also sat thru a evening class and evening church service. (2 1/2 hrs) I did do C25K W4D1 and it was A-W-E-S-O-M-E

My number should be good today too! Going to jog here in a bit. THen some house work. Then on to church to work the blood drive. :) Who knows what eveining brings. :laugh:
  • CALIECAT
    Options

My Dear Calie,

While I would love to have taken ownership for that adorable Jack Russell, he was Frasier's dog, Eddie, on the sitcom. I simply love the breed and love the show. But, I'll tell you what, I will replace him with a picture of my own Jack Russell. Mine is named Taffi, and she is primarily white, except for her ears which are tan. So the next dog you see in my avatar will be mine. Cheers, Peschuntz

This is my dog, Taffi.

Oh tffic is twice as cute. How adorable, Calie

I got 2500 steps in yeaterday. Wouldn't have done that if Sammy let me. It was my day off of walking. My cat calie useded to go walking with me when I had my apso lapso [spelling] But Sammy bug her so much she quite going walking.. She does come out and keep an eye on us. She is 7 years old now and stays pretty close to the house now a days. She used to bring all of her prey into the house. Like Mouse, birds, moth. grasshoppers. Drove us crazy Keepimg am eye on her. We hope those days are over. Its been along time since she brought anything into the house.

Really like your thread Pez. Everyone is so helpful and Friendly.

Calie
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning everyone!
    I have been missing for a while.
    I feel off the wagon when I hurt my knee at the end of August.
    And I am totally determined to get back on track TODAY!!

The good news is that I have been wearing my pedometer everyday in my absense from here.
    I strive for 7 or more miles a day.

Yesterday I got just under 7 miles...

Back at it today!

Thanks for being here to keep me accountable!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I am so excited to see new participants on this thread. Welcome, and keep coming back. The more the merrier.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I am older than many of you and I'm sure that Calie would agree with me that the older you get, the less you worry about what other people think of you. When I walk in public I wear funny clothes and am listening to music on my MP3 player so I probably make some people laugh. One of the most heartwarming sights I've ever seen was a very heavy woman who walked in my neighborhood daily and over time I saw her get thinner and thinner. Walking does make a difference and even with the cost of a good pedometer and good walking shoes and a warm coat and hat for winter it's still a lot cheaper exercise than anything else......and if you have mobility issues, be like Calie and the man I saw on the Olympic Discovery Trail last week, and get a walker with a seat. And never, never, never give up.

I was right about Saturday. I walked 8488 Steps which is low for me.

Sunday was cleanse day and we spent the day being moral support for a friend whose soon to be ex-husband was coming to the house with a big truck to pick up all the things that were his. We didn't do much except be a presence so he would be less likely to make a scene. It was a successful day for all. The house is big and with furniture gone, there was room for me to practice line dances :laugh: and while we stood around in the driveway watching him put furniture and boxes in the truck, I walked up and down (see what I mean about not worrying what other people think). So on Sunday I ended up with 13,687 steps.

The rain just stopped so Jake is headed for the golf course and I'll be going for a walk. have a great day. hugs to all :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good Monday morning everyone!
    I have been missing for a while.
    I feel off the wagon when I hurt my knee at the end of August.
    And I am totally determined to get back on track TODAY!!

The good news is that I have been wearing my pedometer everyday in my absense from here.
    I strive for 7 or more miles a day.

Yesterday I got just under 7 miles...

Back at it today!

Thanks for being here to keep me accountable!

Gettinfit,
    Welcome back. glad to hear you are getting back on track. Calie
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks Calie!

I raked the neighbors front lawn with her and my 3 year old while the 1 year old slept this afternoon. It was good exercise and the weather was BEAUTIFUL here in StL today!

It kept me out of the kitchen and from snacking all afternoon! YAY

After dinner I am hitting the treadmill and will be watching dvred shows and reading my book!

Back to journaling my food too! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

YAY :drinker:
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Not a great day. I put in a very long day at a seminar seated all day. A couple hours driving to get there and couple hours home. I came home beat with only 3/4 of a mile on the pedometer. I completed a 3 Mile "Walk Off Ten Pounds" DVD from Leslie Sansone and I am beat. Talk to you guys tomorrow.
  • tabbi187
    Options
    Unfortunately I did not get much done today.. I had a midterm that I studied for all day and am still studying for an Exam for Spanish tomorrow.. ugh.
    BUT I did great yesterday.. I started off cookin for my lil sister and her husband and only ate one biscuit with gravy! and then we all went over to my great grandmothers house to move everything out and move everything into my grandmothers house. The went over to my grandmother house with my big family and played outside with all of my cousins (I am the oldest by 11 years) and my son. Then went grocery shopping then came home and did laundry cleaned the house and went for a relaxing walk.. at the end of the day I had walked over 6 miles and over 16000 steps. So I did pretty darn well.

Didnt even wear my pedometer today though but I will probably go for a walk when Carl gets home from class and Im going to be busy again tomorrow....
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Getting fit....Hey you live in St Louis , My son and his family live there. They lived in the Manchester area. We have been up there a number of times. Was just up there last Oct.. Love walking up there in the fall with all the leaves. Lovely up there. The only thing I have not found any goo Mexican resturant. But lots of Italian food.
    calie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I got 4100 steps in today. My first day of 4,000 steps. the old back held up pretty good. Hope I can keep it up all week.

O overlook a Dr. appt last Friday. Call them today and there phone is out of order. So will have to call back tomorrow. I go to my Heart Doctor tomorrow, the one that put stints in my legs back in June. for a check up.

My daughter call today and we are talking about going to Ark. to see the fall leaves. Our trees here just turn brown. ot pretty at all. May go on up to Branson Mo. I will take my pedometer and my walker.

Good night everyone. Calie
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,
    Checking in with 12,776 steps for yesterday. I really had to push myself to get on the treadmill - I was so tired after work!! I felt great afterwards though:laugh: Surprise there, right!!
    Kickboxing or treadmill on for after work not sure which one but it will be something. Leaning on treadmill though - that way I can watch "Biggest Loser" and jog through the commercials:laugh: - That's always a motivator for me.

Thanks for helping me be accountable and I hope everyone has a fantastic day :flowerforyou:

Janet:heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    One of the best treats I ever got for myself was the DVR that goes with my TV service. I record my favorite shows and watch them when it's convenient for me, so when I have time for the exercise bike there is always a great show to watch while I ride.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Yesterday I walked in the AM, dog park in the afternoon, 45 minutes on the exercise bike, more dog walking, and a bunch of those household chores full of walking from here to there and back again----thus adding up to 17,195 steps.

Foggy and cool this morning.....plans that include a lot of sitting....I'll need to be vigilant and creative if I want to get my exercise. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: