Walking With Pedometers

Options

Replies

• Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Janet,

This is so weird! I ordered the Leslie Sansone DVD "Walk Away The Pounds Ultimate Collection" from deepdiscount.com almost one month ago to the day. It's a very popular DVD and was sold out. I waited all this time and it just arrived in today's mail. I will be using this all weekend. Talk about getting your money's worth - 4 separate workouts on one DVD for a total of 10 miles and all for $9 and change! Please let me know what you think. Despite loading up my Ipod with music, I need to take a break from my treadmill - too boring. :happy:
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Walked 2 miles leisurely, then did Leslie Sansone's "2 Mile Brisk Walk" and "3 Mile Advanced Walk" for a total of 7 miles. Have a great weekend!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I only got 2500 steps in yesterday. Going to have to put this on my prority list. I know it is helping me. Just got to get my B^^*** outta This Computer chair. Calie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,001 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Calie, me, too----I gotta get away from the computer :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yesterday I got 19,394 steps----"Sweatin' to the Oldies", walking dogs, line dance, exercise bike and general walking around the house :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Pes, tell me about the Leslie Sansone DVDs
    do you need a treadmill, do they have music? what do you do?

:flowerforyou: Janet, I have some good New Balance walking shoes that cost me more than normal shoes and I love them. If you're on you feet a lot, it's worth the investment. :bigsmile:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hello janet, I didn't know you were from Texas , what part?? It is a very nice crisp day here. get out and enjoy it. I plan to. Done been out walking and to the store, in the car. I used to walk to the store but just too much traffic now days and all heavy traffic Where does all the people come from.?
    Have a good day. Calie.
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Barbie,

Sansone's DVDs are set to the beat of music and DVDs typically range from 1 to 5 miles. ( It has been figured out how many beats per minute equals how many miles.) She usually , but not always, walks with a class using a combination of power walking, knee lifts, kicks and lateral steps. They have been a lifesaver for me. While I do have a treadmill, I get so bored with walking in a straight line. Her DVDs (and VHS tapes) are more fun, make the time pass more quickly, and use varied steps to lower boredom and use more muscle groups (also reduces risk of overuse injuries).

You are such an advanced walker, I would recommend buying the one I just got and Janet is waiting for - Walk Away The Pounds: The Ultimate Collection (found at Target, amazon.com & deepdiscount.com). 4 different workouts ranging from one to four miles were compiled onto one DVD (also comes with a stretch band for upper body work). You have the opportunity to do one mile up to 10 miles and any number in between. I also love her new DVD "Walk Your Belly Flat" and "Walk at Home 4 Fast Miles." Finally, "Walk at Home 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk" and "Walk at Home 5 Day Slim Down" are great choices also. Any of these should hold you in good stead. While it has been pretty mild weather, it has also been raining here in Philly a lot. I pop in a couple of her DVDs a day and I meet my quota for walking with a lot less tedium than using my treadmill. Try one, and see what you
    think, Barb. :flowerforyou:
  • leshawnturner
    Options
    MY PEDOMETER BROKE!!!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :frown: :angry:

I will go get a new one but I have to wait until pay day on Friday. In the meantime I will stick to my gazelle and the WATP dvds that i have. My gazelle's monitor that tells me how many miles I did doesn't work.:grumble: :noway: I tried changing the batteries and that didn't help at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can monitor my miles while on there?? My old pedometer didn't do well picking up my steps since I wasn't really stepping... HELP??!!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    MY PEDOMETER BROKE!!!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :frown: :angry:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can monitor my miles while on there?? My old pedometer didn't do well picking up my steps since I wasn't really stepping... HELP??!!
    I found that when I was walking up and down the hall at bedtime to get more steps, I walked about 100 steps per minute. That's not a hugely accurate measure but it would do for you while you are waiting to buy a new pedometer..

Get some advice from Pez about pedometers. She's done a lot of research on them and could point you in the right direction

When my pedometer quit working after being washed in the washer, I felt like I'd lost my best friend. I experienced real grief :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
    Barbie
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hey Everbody,
    Happy Saturday!! Lovely here in Spring, Tx. and I am glad I've had a chance to be outside today and enjoy it. Ped count was only 4500 yesterday + did 20 min TJ. DH and I went out to dinner with friends last nite - navigated thru Chineese pretty well except for the fortune cookie and the 1 almond cookie. The sweet tooth was on after that though:angry: ...... I ate a pack of chocolate hostess cupcakes and some fat free vanilla wafers before bed:noway: I've been doing great staying away from sweets, especially with Trick or Treat candy lurking around every turn. Oh well,,,,, I ate over my cals by 520- I will do better today - and so far I have logged 12,600 on the omron, walked 4.15 mi, 20mintj and 20 min ABjam - and the food is good... so far, lol!
    Barbie - how do you manage to log so many steps????? you are really movin' and such an inspiration!! i am so excited about new w/o shoes. I do feel like my feet are worht the expense since i'll be using them.
    Callie- Watch out for those walnuts!! I know what you mean about the traffic - in our subdivision we've got lots of teenagers blaring music and texting while driving. I have to watch out for them and run up on somebody's lawn sometimes to get out of their way - Wish I had walnut to chunk at 'em, haha!! j/k
    Pez- I can't wait to try the dvd - I feel like a little kid or something!!
    LeShawn- Pez can prob help out more than me but I would try to remember how long it took you to do so many steps. Then use that as a rough estimate until you can get a new pedometer. BTW walmart has a pretty inexpensive one for like 5 bucks near the check out stand. That might work until you can make the "upgraded" investment

Hugs to anyone I missed and have a terrific day,
    J:heart:
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Hi leshawnturner,

Here's the scoop, since you are aware that your pedometer doesn't accurately count the steps taken in the walking DVDs, when you do those, count mileage. The beats in her songs are in sync with the amount of steps taken in a mile. Another way you can override your need for your pedometer is walk where there is a pre-specified distance. For example, when I go to the nearby outdoor track, I know that every lap is equivalent to 1/4 mile. Finally, you can just walk around your neighborhood and then when you return from your walk, retrace your steps in your car, set your trip odometer to zero, and log your mileage that way. If you notice my posts, I log in mileage, not steps.

As far as pedometers are concerned, I phoned Omron and had a discussion involving what is measured by their pedometers and what is not. Unless you are walking in a forward motion, most of your movement will not register on the pedometer, and even if some of it does, it will not be an accurate count.. This is true for all pedometers. When I exercise, I wear the latest Omron model HJ-303 and hands down it is the most comfortable and accurate pedometer I've ever used. It can be used upside, diagonally, and its measurements remain spot-on if the steps you take are in a forward motion. I highly recommend you consider this pedometer, I think you will love it. In the interim, measure miles not steps.
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Took a walk with my dog for 4.5 miles then put on additional 1/2 mile + leisurely walking around store. My total today was just over 5 miles. Goodnight.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good morning all of you walkers.
    Yesterday was a great day for walking.but I just got 3900 steps in. rigjt mow that is all I can do. Hope to get it back up there.
    I went to Walmart, but I did more looking than walking.
    Bit at ;east I was walking/. I used to used one of their motor cart.
    Have a great day all. ..............Calie
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Why Is Walking So Good For Weight Loss?
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 2:00:00 PM | Liz Neporent
    Filed under: Diet & Weight Loss, Fitness, Fit or Fiction

Liz Neporent is a diet and fitness expert and author of 12 fitness fitness bestsellers. She regularly appears on national TV programs and is the president of Wellness 360, a New-York based wellness provider. You can also follow her on Twitter @lizzyfit.

While it's true that walking doesn't burn calories as quickly as jogging or Spinning classes or other high-intensity workouts, scores of studies have shown it to be a very effective weight-loss tool. For example, a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that brisk walking is very effective for reducing deep abdominal fat, the most dangerous kind of fat. And a University of Colorado study found that if people could commit to walking 2,000 steps a day more than they do now -- the equivalent of about one additional mile or about 15 minutes worth of movement -- they may not necessarily lose weight but would probably stop gaining. The typical adult gains 1 to 3 pounds a year, which means they're eating, on average, an excess of 10 to 30 calories a day. The 100 calories per day burned off from walking 2,000 steps would more than compensate for this excess.

Researchers have also found that walking an additional 6,000 steps a day (or about 3 miles) is the point at which the pounds really start coming off, as long as it is done in conjunction with sensible eating habits like fat, calorie and portion control.

A report from the National Institutes of Medicine makes similar recommendations, advising one hour of daily walking or other moderate exercise for weight loss. What's more, the majority of participants in the National Weight Control Registry, an ongoing survey of more than 3,000 people who have lost at least 30 pounds and kept it off for more than a year, report walking as one of their major-weight loss strategies. You may notice that I reference the registry frequently. That's because it is the only "living laboratory" to examine weight loss in the real world.

So if walking doesn't exactly melt calories like hot butter on toast, why is it such a successful weight loss strategy? For one thing, walking has a major advantage over most other fitness activities: It doesn't require a lot of stuff. No helmets, gloves, wrenches, pumps, kneepads, wrist guards, caps, goggles, pools or poles. Just lace up your shoes, open the front door, and off you go. (For women, I also recommend a decent bra. If you're not doing power walking, it doesn't even have to be a sports bra, just something sturdy with lots of support to minimize the bounce.) Plus, unless you're a toddler, walking has virtually no learning curve.

Of course, running is equally accessible and convenient, but it also has a much higher injury rate. Walking is considerably easier on your joints, tendons and ligaments -- although a small percentage of walkers do get injured from overdoing it or wearing the wrong shoes. Walking is also less exhausting, so you may be more likely to stick to your program. Running may burn twice the calories per minute as walking (running burns an average of 8 to 12 calories per minute compared to walking which only burns 4 to 8 calories per minute at a moderate pace), but if you quit after 5 minutes because your knees feel like they're about to explode, what's the point? Even most beginners can walk for at least 10 minutes straight without feeling winded and from there, it's fairly easy to build up stamina.

Walking is also an especially good weight-loss activity because it's so easily adaptable to your fitness level. As you become more fit, you can walk faster, walk more often, walk up steeper hills or walk for longer periods.

If you don't find walking especially motivating, find a way to make it more entertaining. You can bop along to your ipod mix so long as you stay on the treadmill or keep the volume low enough to stay aware of your surroundings. You can walk with a friend or join a group. I even found one way to get paid for walking: Check out fitness pro Leslie Sansone's Walk Leader program.

My 2 cents: Even if you do other types of exercise, walking should be the foundation of your activity plan. National Weight Control Registry participants cited walking as their top weight-loss strategy; they walk off an average of 1,000 calories a week. Even though I am an avid exercise and exhibit OCD running behavior myself, I still walk 20 minutes to 2 hours a day between appointments, with my daughter or just strolling along thinking. Trust me, regular walking has many benefits. Click here for more information on AOL Health about how it attacks deep abdominal fat.

Comments (7)
    PermalinkPrint Email Twitter Facebook Digg AIM More
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Very interesting Pez. Love reading it. I don't have facebook.Never sould find out how to join, I have have had request to join but never fighure out how. I think I will get my daughter to sign me in next time she is out here. Just about everybpdy I know is on it. I am going to try for 4,000 steps today.

See you later, calie
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Pez, thanks for that great article about walking. It confirms what I've always thought. About ten years ago I read a little article in a professional journal (for the job I was doing) about a woman who had lost a lot of weight and the heart of her program was walking four miles a day every day. For years I'd read that journal full of articles about people in my profession who had done amazing things and all the articles did was make me feel inadequate, they never spurred me on to greater achievement. The article about walking got me started on something that I've continued since. Of course, the difference now is that I walk and pay attention to what I eat.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Steps yesterday 23,513 With hubby gone I move around at lot more....and my pedometer records when I'm on the exercise bike which I was for four 20 minute segments along with going for an hour walk in the morning, then the dog park, 30 minutes of "Sweatin' to the Oldies", and lots of dog walking.

:flowerforyou: Calie, I'm not on Facebook either. Jake is and he loves it.

:flowerforyou: Janet, besides having a lot of energy, I get a lot of steps because I'm retired and my major occupations are line dancing and dog walking. Also, I'm a half-hearted housekeeper so I don't spend a lot of time cleaning, etc. :laugh: :laugh: I walk up and own the hall when I'm on the phone and seek any opportunity to walk.

Today is my take it easy day :laugh: I'm making applesauce from the apples I got from my friend's tree on Thursday. I'll take the dogs to the dog park but no walk this morning. It rained for awhile.

Happy Sunday :heart: :drinker: Barbie
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Good evening,

Here's today's activity . . . leisure walking 2 miles, Leslie Sansone's "2 Mile Brisk Walk" and "4 Mile Super Challenge Walk" for an 8 mile total. I am heading to the supermarket now and will be adding a bit more mileage. I'm pleased because I didn't feel at all like walking tonight, but asked myself how I would feel if I didn't walk. You see, walking simply isn't a physical exercise, at times it's also an exercise of self-discipline. I think you guys can relate. See you tomorrow. :flowerforyou:
  • Dragonfly11
    Options
    Hey Everybody,
    How are you all!! It was a leisure day for me DH and I slept in and had breakfast in bed - a nice treat b/c are schedules are so crazy right now. Nice to have reconnect time. I did housework sweeping, mopping, laundry, krogers and got in a 4 mi fast walk - I wore my ped to the krogers and for my walk and logged 10, 445 steps.... i'll take it. I promised myself I would stay on track and did. I think to myself sometimes thats the best feeling of all ....honoring myself enough to keep my promise to me.
    We are all important, we treat the others in our lives like they're important - why should our promises to ourselves take any less of a priority.
    Barbie - Wow, I pray to God I have your vitality and zest when (if i ever:laugh: ) get to retire!! You do so much!! The fresh apple sauce sounds delightful. The apples are really good right now and I eat 3-4 a day!
    Callie - To go from riding a cart to walking around the store is amazing progress. You're my hero:happy: Keep up the great work!! I don't do Facebook either but my friends keep nagging me to join ... maybe one day.
    Pez - Great article and a very interesting read. Makes a whole lot of sense to me.I tried running but my left knee give me soume discomfort from time to time. Walking is truly the backbone of my program right now. Probably will continue to be. It's just so simple and def easier on my knee. Still love the TJ but every so often it just is plain uncomfortable . Walking never presents that problem, even when I am fast walking. I love to meditate while I'm walking and my head feels so much clearer. Thanks for the info - so very encouraging :flowerforyou:
    Enjoy the rest of your evening friends,
    Janet:heart:
  • everyday
    everyday Posts: 127
    Options
    GOOD MORNING GIRLS!!! :flowerforyou:

I'm still here..... just have been super busy, no time to log in my steps & chat !!: frown: I think Tues was my last?

Sunday 7799
    Sat 11275
    Fri 10184
    Thurs 9468
    Wed 15166
    As you can see, I am all over the place, but make my 10 k a day average.

~~Cant wait to catch up with everyone, hopefully later this pm.

See .. ya's.... have a GREAT Monday!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Dragonfly11
    Options
    Good Morning Family,
    It's only 8:34a and I've already logged 4212 for the day, woo hoo!! It's pouring cats and dogs here and supposed to be like that for the rest of the day so I'm real glad I got my w/o in early before work. I get so sluggish when the weather's bad - just have to push on through:laugh: , then my attitude foIows. I did a 20 minute ab routine(Abjam) and 30 min of interval training (Fat Blaster -also a TJ dvd) I wore my pedometer thru the interval training but not the ab routine - not sure about the accuracy of it but it sure does feel good to start a rainy Monday off on the right foot!!

Hope everyone has an outstanding day and I will check in later:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: ,
    J:heart:
  • leshawnturner
    Options
    Hey folks!!!

Pes- thanks for the insight into Pedometers!!! I appreciate it!! I'm going to get a card for my office to sign for one of our co-workers this afternoon so I'll probably pick up a pedometer then. I also bought the 5 day slim walking program from Leslie Sansone, I'm so excited!!! I feel like a kid with a new toy!!! I plan on getting the walk away your belly fat next week!!

Ladies, thanks for your support and advice!!!! ALL of you are great!!!!