PSU Punishment...

Options

Replies

• jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    PSU should have received the NCAA Death Penalty. The administration and former football coach covered up child rape.
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but where does this "fine" go? That's a lot of money. Is it going into counselling for the victims? Surely the NCAA isn't planning on pocketing this money, are they? I get fines/financial punishments for breaking the law, go back to providing law and other enforcement, but what in the world is the NCAA going to do with the money?
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I would have closed down the whole PSU football program!

GTFO!
    Better yet close down the whole university.

I know you are being sarcastic but that's the truth, you make the punishment so damned painful no one ever dreams of covering something up like this again. You let all students keep scholarships and attend somewhere else. those that feel it's unfair can cry themselves to sleep, life sucks, man up and get over it.

Penn State is so much more than a football program. You would seriously consider it appropriate to interrupt the education of tens of thousands of students, terminate the employment of thousands of faculty and staff, and interrupt research (including medical research on the scale of millions of dollars) over the mistakes of a football program, which most of those students, faculty, and staff never even participated or watched? Get real. Grow up. Your narrow mindedness is astounding.

And yet administration and board of trustees ignored the very thing you are telling me in order to keep football at the top. Yes I think it appropriate and justified to do exactly that. If this was just a "football" issue then shut the program down and move on. This was dozens of people ignoring child rape to keep the institutions good name. You need to get real and grow up and realize that ignoring something that heinous for the reputation or the good of the university in whole is despicable and pathetic and anyone that still supports that university is pretty suspect in my opinion. If that was my university I would be the first one to light my diploma on favor and piss on the ashes.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Question. I have not been following the Penn State stuff like crazy. I know about Them keeping it secretly. Did any MAJOR people know about this. I don't know how high this went.

It went as high up as you can get, all the way to the top.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but where does this "fine" go? That's a lot of money. Is it going into counselling for the victims? Surely the NCAA isn't planning on pocketing this money, are they? I get fines/financial punishments for breaking the law, go back to providing law and other enforcement, but what in the world is the NCAA going to do with the money?

As the NCAA has said, the money will be given to a charity for abuse victims.
  • ncahill77
    Options
    if i was a student at PSU i'd transfer unless i was a semester or so away from graduating.

That's a ridiculous statement. Many programs are unique to colleges and you lose half your credits upon transferring. Who can afford to waste 2 years of college tuition? Not to mention there are people like myself there, doing PhDs, that can't just up and move at a whim.

I think it's a stretch to punish a football program for actions of the coaching staff, but to hold the entire academic establishment responsible is absurd. You put way too much importance on sports at an educational establishment. And this is coming from someone whose love of college football comes in 2nd only to her husband.

ummm, the only time you lose half your credits is if you are a liberal arts or religion major, otherwise psych 101 is still psych 101 etc. Also many universities duplicate research programs, and if Penn state had one that was truly unique I am 100% positive a competing university would pick up that research program and staff in a heartbeat.
  • DaneDillinger
    DaneDillinger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    As a human being, the situation is tragic. No one should touch kids, let alone systematically rape them and have an "institute of higher learning" cover it up. But as a Temple University grad, the schadenfreude of the penalties is absolutely delicious.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I would have closed down the whole PSU football program!

GTFO!
    Better yet close down the whole university.

I know you are being sarcastic but that's the truth, you make the punishment so damned painful no one ever dreams of covering something up like this again. You let all students keep scholarships and attend somewhere else. those that feel it's unfair can cry themselves to sleep, life sucks, man up and get over it.

Penn State is so much more than a football program. You would seriously consider it appropriate to interrupt the education of tens of thousands of students, terminate the employment of thousands of faculty and staff, and interrupt research (including medical research on the scale of millions of dollars) over the mistakes of a football program, which most of those students, faculty, and staff never even participated or watched? Get real. Grow up. Your narrow mindedness is astounding.

And yet administration and board of trustees ignored the very thing you are telling me in order to keep football at the top. Yes I think it appropriate and justified to do exactly that. If this was just a "football" issue then shut the program down and move on. This was dozens of people ignoring child rape to keep the institutions good name. You need to get real and grow up and realize that ignoring something that heinous for the reputation or the good of the university in whole is despicable and pathetic and anyone that still supports that university is pretty suspect in my opinion. If that was my university I would be the first one to light my diploma on favor and piss on the ashes.

I do research at a large university equivalent to PSU and can tell you the number of times that I have interacted with the people at the administrative level that were involved in this scandal. None. Not once in 4 years. If this had gone down at my university, I would be embarrassed and ashamed. But my education and my research are more important to me than my university's public image. And if anyone thought that me staying and finishing my degree was equivalent to condoning child abuse, I would spit in their face.
  • Darrell916
    Darrell916 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Appropriate or not?

$60,000,000 fine
    4 year bowl ban
    Scholarships lost

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/23/us/pennsylvania-penn-state-ncaa/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

(to all my PSU friends on here, I'm sorry. This sucks)
    I think it is appropriate because you covered for a child molester. I personally thought that they would get the so called death penalty which would have taken out the football program. This is worst than paying players to play or any other recruiting violations. These were grown men that did this and know better to hide things no matter friends or not.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    if i was a student at PSU i'd transfer unless i was a semester or so away from graduating.

That's a ridiculous statement. Many programs are unique to colleges and you lose half your credits upon transferring. Who can afford to waste 2 years of college tuition? Not to mention there are people like myself there, doing PhDs, that can't just up and move at a whim.

I think it's a stretch to punish a football program for actions of the coaching staff, but to hold the entire academic establishment responsible is absurd. You put way too much importance on sports at an educational establishment. And this is coming from someone whose love of college football comes in 2nd only to her husband.

ummm, the only time you lose half your credits is if you are a liberal arts or religion major, otherwise psych 101 is still psych 101 etc. Also many universities duplicate research programs, and if Penn state had one that was truly unique I am 100% positive a competing university would pick up that research program and staff in a heartbeat.

You clearly have no concept of academic research in the sciences. I will leave it at that.
  • wolfehound22
    wolfehound22 Posts: 887
    Options
    Some people seem confused so a little clarification:

Yes punishing current players seems unfair, but this is the norm. When USC got sanctioned for the Reggie Bush stuff, Reggie had already been drafter in the NFL and was making millions, and Pete Carol was a head coach in the NFL, they didn't see much penalty, but the students that had nothing to do with it did, so precedent had already been set there.

Those saying those involved need punished, of course Sandusky has been locked away forever, Paterno was fired and then passed away before any charges could be brought against him, the entire caching staff was released, and every other person who had a part is under investigation or already in trial, so they all have either gotten or will get whets coming to them.

The reason these sanctions had to be leved was the school put the football program before everything else, essentially showing a lack of institutional control, so there had to be something done showing that the football program is not bigger. Sure the vacating of wins is a little odd, as I don't see a point other than to make sure Paterno is no longer the winnings coach, but really in the grand scheme of things who cares. I had no clue how many games they had won, and I still don't.

And as others said, current scholarships won't be effected, and those who have scholarships may transfer, the ones probably taking the biggest hit (outside of the victims of course) would be the fans. But then again since this all started they’ve been taking the brunt of this.

So ya they got the right punishment, and even the death penalty would of been fine by me, but the thing I am most happy about, is that 60 million will be donated to the center for sexually abused kids.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Love JoePa, love Penn State football, love Happy Valley and everything about the university. This is STUNNING news still to me today. Just cant believe it and would have fought like hell with anyone over the besmurching of JoePa and his reputation - but the kicker: Its all true. Joe Pa was part of it - he condoned this Friggin animal Sandusky by not actively putting a stop to it....and thus:

They deserve every bit of what they get for what they let happen. PSU and their football program should forever be ashamed of themselves for what happened in their presence....

Don't agree? just think for one second - what if one of those poor kids was your kid??

I Would literally try to rip Jerry Sandusky's face off his head - or Joe Pa, or anyone else I thought let this go on.....
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

i was talking about your average undergrad who's credits would transfer. of course if i was a grad student or PHD student there is no chance i'd transfer.

but if i was undergrad and could transfer without harm to my academic career i'd do it in a second. i would want to be proud of where i graduated from and PSU has ruined that.

and again you seem to not be familiar with how these kind of penalties works. like when a coach moves on to a new school and they find out he was cheating previously. his previous school has to face the consequences. this is to keep schools accountable. the entire program suffers for what happens.
  • ncahill77
    Options

You clearly have no concept of academic research in the sciences. I will leave it at that.

ok, glad you are leaving it, I'm glad you've spent ummmm none of your time working in the real world and have research experience at one university.....that's a lot to draw from.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    No I think the punitshment is fair. I am actually surprised, as some said, that they didn't axe the football program all together.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

ok, glad you are leaving it, I'm glad you've spent ummmm none of your time working in the real world and have research experience at one university.....that's a lot to draw from.

Oh you are a working scientist with a PhD who understand that there is millions of dollars of equipment at a university, and only one primary investigator running his exact lab with his exact research as that is the definition of research, and that PhDs take 5+ years to accomplish, and that it takes millions of dollars to set up a research lab and most extremely large institutions hire only 2-3 new professors a year? You were aware of that? Because you have a "real job". That pays you "real money". And my research, that I am paid for, and do 70+ hours of a week, isn't a real job at all. I have no concept of reality

Academia is an industry of itself of which I am a part of and clearly have a bit better of a grip on than you. I'm not talking about fraternity parties and bachleor degrees here.
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Not. This is punishing PLAYERS for illegal behaviors of coaches. Those students did nothing wrong, and the ones who are already at or committed to PSU did nothing wrong. I also don't think it is appropriate for the NCAA to dole out punishment for illegal activities not related to sports, that is what the judicial system is for.

Agree to an extent. The innocent (yes i used this term) OTHER students/athletes that had NOTHING to do with this have been punished because their coach was an immoral scumbag? I think that they should have sought out a different approach. The fines I understand, everything has consequences that unfortunitally always have fines. Clearing his winning records, does it make sense in this case? No, but i think their reasoning was more to HURT Coach PA. If your only success of your whole life was stripped away, I think that would be a disappointment to anyone. Its like, win multiple gold metals in the olympics, and then they take them all away from you and clear your name from all records because your a piss poor character.

No matter what punishment it would have been, it will never change what happened. That is very sad and unfortunate. I think they could have thought a little more to come up with punishments that effected allparties involved instead of the students that attend the school, who have to suffer.
  • ncahill77
    Options

Oh you are a working scientist with a PhD who understand that there is millions of dollars of equipment at a university, and only one primary investigator running his exact lab with his exact research as that is the definition of research, and that PhDs take 5+ years to accomplish, and that it takes millions of dollars to set up a research lab and most extremely large institutions hire only 2-3 new professors a year? You were aware of that? Because you have a "real job". That pays you "real money". And my research, that I am paid for, and do 70+ hours of a week, isn't a real job at all. I have no concept of reality

Academia is an industry of itself of which I am a part of and clearly have a bit better of a grip on than you. I'm not talking about fraternity parties and bachleor degrees here.

no but my company employes many of said ex academia and I interact with them often. Although not a PhD I am highly educated and aware of how it works. Your description as an industry in and of itself is highly accrurate and each university could be set up per a business model. Guess what, acquisitions and mergers happen all the time in the real world, and talent moves constantly, it would be the same if said program where shut down, another university would gobble it up. Want to know why? Because your university research labs are usually in part funded by large companies, if they saw benefit in the research done at said university they would have it acquired. You can deny that but monthly I review large donations to science departments at the major universities that provide a ton of research for us, so I have first hand knowledge that it happens.
  • QueenGorgo
    QueenGorgo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I look at the penalty the school recieved as worse than the death penalty in a lot of ways..I mean the University and the program have earned this punishment and the players will most likely be able to find other teams to play for but the twisted part of this is that it would have been easier for O'Brien to deal with a death penalty situation because he would have been able to to do more recruiting or at least do something in order to begin rebuilding..but now? Who wants to be associated with that program? What quality player wants to wear that uniform? What player who has even the slightest hope of going pro or playing in a BCS game or even sniffing at the soon-to-be-implemented playoff system unless they're a freshman this year, and they're willing to risk their whole college career to have one shot as a senior?

I've heard a couple of players have already rescinded their commitments- within minutes of the announcement..so I'm curious to see if they are even able to field a team and how badly they'll be destroyed every week..

I was still holding out hope that Paterno wasn't as complicit as it seemed he might have been until I saw the fact that just before the entire thing blew up he re-negotiated his contract, retired and requested that no one look into things any further...that's when I realized he not only knew what was going on but he made a decision that he would not do the right thing.. how he could come to work and know..I mean KNOW for a fact that there were children being abused...and come to work for years..and not do or say anything is beyond me..

It's a shame these players have to suffer the fall out of their program being in essence destroyed when none of the players had any thing to do with it but that's what happens in life- if you're in for a penny your in for a pound. Hopefully the players will be able to find other schools and there aren't any more ugly secrets hiding under some rock waiting to be exposed..