PSU Punishment...

Options
1234568»

Replies

• weathergirl320
    Options
    The paterno family should sue for defamation.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Who should they sue? Louis Freeh? Former director of the FBI who led the internal investigation at Penn State?

It's this kind of hubris by the Paterno family that has been an impediment to healing and, frankly, was largely responsible for the cover-up in general. Again, I'm a Penn Stater and I will always love Joe Paterno for what he did on the field and what he did do for the community and campus; however, what he did not do was a deplorable ethical decision and he certainly shouldn't be hero-worshiped for that.

Was he a great football coach? Sure. Did he raise $13M to build a library in his name, including several million of his own money? Yeah.

But these aren't the only things that he should be remembered for.
    -wtk
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Not only did the coach cover up the abuse, he turned a blind eye to it and did nothing to protect innocent children from being hurt. THis is nothing against his family at all. It is all about him and the other people in the university system that did NOTHING to protect those children.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Why?
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    A friend of mine posted this when it all first went down:

"Mr Paterno, your accomplishments in sports pale in comparison to your biggest mistake in life"
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    [/quote

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard in all of my existence. Care to explain?
    Hopefully with a piece of Journalism NOT written in Pennsylvania.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Here's how I see it...

The penalties, other than the removal of 14 years play is suffice. To remove the records of those that played the games, flat out stupid. You've just punished hundreds of players who put the pride and heart into the game to make PSU Football awesome.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

best defense for defamation is absolute truth. so .... no.
  • TylerJ76
    Options

Do you truly believe that JoePa had nothing to do with it?
    Do you think he knew nothing?
    If he did know it was going on, do you think he did enough to stop it?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

there are two options and two options only.

1) Joe knew what happened. And, in order to protect his legacy, his school and his friends, he covered it all up. For more than a decade. And in the process willingly sat by while more lives were destroyed by a monster he called his friend.

2) Joe willingly and actively made sure he knew as little as possible. I'm a sportswriter. I know coaches. and a Division I coach knows absolutely everything about his program. he makes it a point to know everything about his program. down to the tiniest detail. they are micro-managers and controllers. it is in the nature of the person and the job. so if something this massive is happening in his program, he would have to know that something was happening, but then actively insulate himself to keep from becoming aware of just what it was.

so ... for his apologists -- how can he even have any at this point, by the way? -- which is it? and if it isn't option 1 ... option 2 might even be worse.
  • TylerJ76
    Options

there are two options and two options only.

1) Joe knew what happened. And, in order to protect his legacy, his school and his friends, he covered it all up. For more than a decade. And in the process willingly sat by while more lives were destroyed by a monster he called his friend.

2) Joe willingly and actively made sure he knew as little as possible. I'm a sportswriter. I know coaches. and a Division I coach knows absolutely everything about his program. he makes it a point to know everything about his program. down to the tiniest detail. they are micro-managers and controllers. it is in the nature of the person and the job. so if something this massive is happening in his program, he would have to know that something was happening, but then actively insulate himself to keep from becoming aware of just what it was.

so ... for his apologists -- how can he even have any at this point, by the way? -- which is it? and if it isn't option 1 ... option 2 might even be worse.

Thank you for this.
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options
    He will probably get more hate mail than offers.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bar/3140282779.html