I'm getting a little tired of this to be honest

Options

Replies

• frhenderson
    frhenderson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'll admit to posting a snarky comment on a snarky thread. I thought about what I posted and tried to steer clear of anything too specific.
    For me, the snarkiness came partly out of silliness and partly out of frustration. I NEVER respond with a snarky comment in a legitimate thread. I think there is a time and place for my creative sarcasm, and answering a legitimate post is not it. But I am tired of reading rude/sarcastic/judgemental/negative/my way or the highway responses or seeing good solid advice being out shouted by the latest fad.
    I say let the sarcasm reign in those topics where the OP obviously wants to flex their sarcasm muscle, and focus on supporting any other posters with good solid information, opinions, and encouragement........or silence.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd rather someone be honest and tell me when I'm being an idiot than blow sunshine up my *kitten*.

I don't think op means 'constructive' cristism I think they mean when people are straight up mean to newbies and be sarcastic towards them with no real answer to their question.
    I agree that some people are just plain rude, that's why there is the "ignore user" function. I admit I can be a bit sarcastic sometimes, I also try to be helpful. If someone takes offense to something I say that's their problem, put me on ignore. If they are that oversensitive they probably shouldn't be reading my posts anymore.
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree! Either comment with actual advice, or leave it alone if the post "bothers" or "annoys" you. Most people are genuinely asking questions and looking for information! I get tired of all of the negativity or "holier than thou" attitude.

^^^ This
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    It's not a question of correct advice. These people, correct or not, go through life trying to prove to anyone that will listen that they are somehow above all others. True greatness doesn't have to be proven.
  • Glamorous_RN
    Options
    TOTALLY agree!!! no one should feel alienated in any shape or form, advices should be given kindly and with respect, the way you would want it too!
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    True greatness doesn't have to be proven.

Of course it does

And don't correlate passion with ego or lack of self-esteem.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Excuse me Jet is it? u seem to be doing alot to criticize every single post here without any solid facts, so please share your wisdom with us all on how u think MFP can be any better, please massage your ego that little bit more.....

Another positive, not attacking anyone quote. Came with a PM in which he suggested that people who point out the hypocrisy in others (which I'm essentially doing with every member of the rainbow brigade that makes their "be nice" point by insulting others) is something that people who fail do. I tried to respond, but he has deactivated his account. What the heck?

I got no issues with OP and her message, she has been consistent in her asking for kindness and support, she hasn't attacked or been snarky, so I haven't quoted her and pointed out the discrepancy. This guy above, however, insulted me in the forum and in a private message and then bravely ran away.

This is not a forum thread asking for substantive answers to questions about fitness. I've been in a few of them and offered advice and in a fair number of them been yelled at by people who didn't like my advice. In this one I think i am providing a substantive benefit to the thread by pointing out the number of people in here who are complaining about people being rude, attacking, snarky or unkind and in so doing are directing the same kind of vitriol at the people who annoy them. If you're gonna advocate a position, you really ought to follow it before you demand others do.

As fitness guru Ghandi said, Be the change you want to see in the world. To help the rest of you all, I've just been quoting and pointing out when people aren't doing what they are demanding of others. I'm not attacking anyone, yet, its totally cool to attack me apparently. And to attack me in order to make a point in favor of not attacking. That's just strange.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    why is this posted in the chit chat fun and games forums?

It is none of these things.

It should be posted in the WAHH I DONT LIKE THE WAY PEOPLE HAVE FUN IN THE FUN SECTION OF THIS SITE section of the forums.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Every single day I see multiple sarcastic posts mocking certain commonly held beliefs, ideologies, broscience claims, goals, etc. in regards to health and fitness. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way but it's getting REALLY old. Like every time I open a thread and realize "...oh it's one of these..." I peace out.

If they're put in the chit-chat, fun, and games section I don't really see a problem with it. I think it should be pretty apparent that they are troll threads for enjoyment purposes.
    Be honest people. There was also a time when you didn't know much about health or nutrition.

Absolutely correct. One of the ways I fixed that was by reading what people write. Much of this occurs in nutrition forums.

No need to be snarky because someone brings up starvation mode, for example.

Agreed, but at the same time I don't think people need to sugar-coat everything and there's a lot of circumstances where simply asking a question or making a blunt (but not personally attacking) statement can be taken as being snarky, so I'd say this goes both ways. Some people need to be a bit less sarcastic and rude in their posts and many readers need to thicken their skin a bit and stop asking for their hand to be held.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Oh, it's one of these threads...
  • BillyPinky
    BillyPinky Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

Love it
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

Love it
  • alzaman5925
    alzaman5925 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    A lot of people in response to this post are saying that they came on here with the intention of using the forums to learn about nutrition and healthy living, but if a person is looking for factual knowledge then forums are the worst places to seek out this sort of help in my opinion.

I've only been here for just under two weeks, but the diversity of this site is mind-blowing! It happens time and time again, that someone poses an earnest question to the community, and they are met with a spectrum of opinions and views all based on individual experiences and knowledge bases. How can anyone take away any real information with this many contradictions being flung at them? I always end up taking away advice that I believe to be more in line with my lifestyle anyway.

This is a good place to open up discussion and broaden one's curiosity about alternative lifestyles and interesting rationale when it comes to dieting and weight loss. But I think it's really important to double check via trustworthy sources whatever morsels of information you take away from here. I know this is really off topic, but everyone should be mindful of being lured by responses, whether expressed kindly or with belittlement.

There are always going to be snarky people about on the message boards, and I think it's nice to want to make things pleasant for everybody by tabooing those sorts of comments, but as bcampbell54 said on here, "Sarcasm is a great teacher". I think we actually need people to challenge us sometimes... And to be perfectly honest, there is also some deterrent to posting the very first thing that comes to your head if we know there's someone out their who's going to hurt out feelings if we haven't thought through our question a little bit beforehand. So long as they're in the general minority, I think our response to these sorts of comments needs to be less sensitive and more objective, bearing in mind that most of the time no one person has all the answers here anyway.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Pressing the "like" button.

DITTO! :happy:

There is no reason for people to be rude to others.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I've been here for more than 3 years, pretty much non-stop. In that time, I've seen every question asked...many times. I've seen the same answers given....in various ways. And I have learned that:

It IS possible to respond to the same questions and issues politely and civilly, even after you've done it 1500 times before.

It IS possible to give well-thought out, scientifically backed answers without snark.

It IS possible to disagree without getting personal or attacking anyone.

It IS fine to disengage when someone clearly doesn't want to hear your advice.

It IS possible to have fun and tease and flirt without being mean, crude and/or hurting someone.

Being courteous does NOT make you a wussy or pushover or boring. It actually gets more information across than being rude or hostile because you are not alienating the listener/reader.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

It should be posted in the WAHH I DONT LIKE THE WAY PEOPLE HAVE FUN IN THE FUN SECTION OF THIS SITE section of the forums.

I couldn't have said it better..
    Nothing says "I'm looking for more support" better than a thread of complaint!
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

I :heart: You
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    I think a large part of it is the fact that it's online, and a LOT of people (self not included) tend to think that's an excuse to be ruder, crueler, and less sensitive to others feelings than they would in public. After all, they rationalize that it's not REAL people they're insulting, just online ones. But the problem is, it's all real people.

I don't say anything online that I wouldn't say if that person were sitting here in the room, staring straight at me, and I really don't see why other people can't extend that same respect when they post, too. And if you ARE doing that, and really would fling those kind of insults to a total stranger in a crowded room full of opinionated people...well then, you're not someone I'd tend to put on my guest list.

(I say that because calling you an outright douche over that would be rude. See how that works?)
  • BillyPinky
    Options
    I think a large part of it is the fact that it's online, and a LOT of people (self not included) tend to think that's an excuse to be ruder, crueler, and less sensitive to others feelings than they would in public. After all, they rationalize that it's not REAL people they're insulting, just online ones. But the problem is, it's all real people.

I don't say anything online that I wouldn't say if that person were sitting here in the room, staring straight at me, and I really don't see why other people can't extend that same respect when they post, too. And if you ARE doing that, and really would fling those kind of insults to a total stranger in a crowded room full of opinionated people...well then, you're not someone I'd tend to put on my guest list.

(I say that because calling you an outright douche over that would be rude. See how that works?)

Well said :)
  • BillyPinky
    Options

Well said :)