I'm getting a little tired of this to be honest

Options

Replies

• Reneefit135
    Options
    Every single day I see multiple sarcastic posts mocking certain commonly held beliefs, ideologies, broscience claims, goals, etc. in regards to health and fitness. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way but it's getting REALLY old. Like every time I open a thread and realize "...oh it's one of these..." I peace out.

Be honest people. There was also a time when you didn't know much about health or nutrition. Most people on MFP are here because they are trying to make a change. They are trying to learn more about how they can improve their health. No need to be snarky because someone brings up starvation mode, for example. We've all grown up hearing certain things about what's good and what's bad as far as nutrition goes so why be so mean when someone brings up one of those topics? You probably held those beliefs at one point in time yourself. I just think it would be nice if more people were willing to be supportive and tactful, instead of mocking. With the type of posts I mentioned above, I know you're just trying to have fun and all, but in my opinion, it's not kind or supportive at all. No one should ever be made to feel alienated by people who "know better" or know more, before they even get a chance to get started on their journey.

So, anyway, that's all I wanted to say. Thanks guys.

Agreed
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people get punchy and a bit stir crazy when they've been posting here a long time. Sometimes they post silly nonsense in response to that stir-crazy-ness... and sometimes they post "why are you people acting this way?" threads in response to it. :wink:

I've been a member of a lot of forums, I run my own and I'd been a mod on a pretty big techie site at one time, and no matter how many rules a site has, no matter how kind and gentle the atmosphere is... someone always thinks it's horrible.

This site is really, really tame. Lurk about on the bodybuilder's forum for a bit, or dating advice sites that cater to young men who fancy themselves pickup artists, and you'll think this site is all kittens, ice cream and rainbows. :smile:

Oh trust me I am no newbie to forums! Although the one where I'm most active many of us have been members since 2005 or earlier so we all know each other and I think most people are past the point of getting offended by anything. It does get easier to kid around once you're used to the environment but the new people on this site might not realize the type of responses they're setting themselves up for with specific posts.
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    i promise i am not being a b*tch saying this, but you're going to get that everywhere. it's great that there are people in this world sticking up for others which is seems like you are doing and i appreciate and respect that, but on the other side, i ignore it. my dad says it perfectly... "Opinions are like *kitten*, everyones got one and more than likely they stink."

I really am saying that with respect. I hope I didn't offend anyone here.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Pressing the "like" button.

^^ THIS ^^

My favorite site, MFP, sure has changed through the years. I know we are not supposed to discuss other sites on MFP,, but I would like to recommend a non-competitive site, also free, for those who want just a motivational site with no words. It is Pinterest. You can comment on Pinterest as well, but for the most part, it is simply a visual site. It is truly an international site (as no words are exchanged). It is fast growing, totally free with no advertising. There is plenty on it for Fitness and Motivation.

Still love MFP but the forums have never been overly friendly, as far as I can see. Build your friends lists. Your support will come from finding great MFP peeps.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    welllll if we are being honest.

i'm quite a bit tired of posts like this.

its life, people are always going to bug the crap out of you every where you go. your post wont change that :/
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Pressing the "like" button.

^^ THIS ^^

My favorite site, MFP, sure has changed through the years. I know we are not supposed to discuss other sites on MFP,, but I would like to recommend a non-competitive site, also free, for those who want just a motivational site with no words. It is Pinterest. You can comment on Pinterest as well, but for the most part, it is simply a visual site. It is truly an international site (as no words are exchanged). It is fast growing, totally free with no advertising. There is plenty on it for Fitness and Motivation.

Still love MFP but the forums have never been overly friendly, as far as I can see. Build your friends lists. Your support will come from finding great MFP peeps.

There is also a good "fitblr" community on tumblr! :)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    For reference, this is the post I read before writing this. The type of post I was referring to and had in mind in my OP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/691809-i-was-thinking-about-working-out-today-but

See, perhaps it's different perspectives.
    But on this particular forum, that makes me chuckle. Now should it be on "motivation and support" no.

Yeah... I saw that as someone, who's had INCREDIBLE progress, taking a good-natured poke at the silliness that goes on around here.

Yeah the OP has had amazing progress! But it wasn't just her posting in that thread. And I see so many threads exactly like that. I was just wondering why I see that same thread all the time. Like I have said a couple times, I thought it was funny the first time I read such a thread but now it seems sorta mean keeping in mind the perspective of people who actually do post things like that on here, not knowing better.

I clicked on the link expecting to see nasty thread and just spent the last 15 minutes laughing. I think it is all down to sense of humour really. May be being British I have a sarcastic sense of humour but it looked like everyone was just having a bit of fun. It wasn't as if it was directed at anyone in particular just generic silliness.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    For reference, this is the post I read before writing this. The type of post I was referring to and had in mind in my OP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/691809-i-was-thinking-about-working-out-today-but

See, perhaps it's different perspectives.
    But on this particular forum, that makes me chuckle. Now should it be on "motivation and support" no.

Yeah... I saw that as someone, who's had INCREDIBLE progress, taking a good-natured poke at the silliness that goes on around here.

Yeah the OP has had amazing progress! But it wasn't just her posting in that thread. And I see so many threads exactly like that. I was just wondering why I see that same thread all the time. Like I have said a couple times, I thought it was funny the first time I read such a thread but now it seems sorta mean keeping in mind the perspective of people who actually do post things like that on here, not knowing better.

I clicked on the link expecting to see nasty thread and just spent the last 15 minutes laughing. I think it is all down to sense of humour really. May be being British I have a sarcastic sense of humour but it looked like everyone was just having a bit of fun. It wasn't as if it was directed at anyone in particular just generic silliness.

But fitness is serious business. We can't have a bit of fun with a sarcastic sense of humor. Someone might get their feelings hurted. Which is a serious problem. I started a thread once and I used all the words in my OP. Another person put "tl:dr Cliffs notes: get over it" which looked to somebody like that guy was being mean to me so they reported him and he got a strike for that. What he said was a very good summation of what I wrote. Ironically, my whole thread was about, get over it and quit reporting people for the stupidest small little things.

Brett said several pages back that most of his friends have been banned from the forums now. Smart people who are accomplished and have learned a great deal, gotten good results, and are generous with their sharing. But if they use sarcastic humor and have a bit of fun, there are people who go around looking to be upset and report them. The site is the worse for it. I agree with you, it isn't a big deal. But to some people, they need to manufacture a big deal, and then it is. It is a shame.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Grrr.. I had a funny profile pix and someone reported it and now I have to have an alcoholic profile pix. Fucc.

That should be fine. No problem with an alcoholic profile pic on a fitness website. I guess some people had their feelings hurted when other people had progress pics that revealed *gasp* progress! Those get taken away really quick. Happened to a friend of mine today. Can't show progress on the fitness site. Alcohol, why not?
  • nicole9008
    Options
    Grrr.. I had a funny profile pix and someone reported it and now I have to have an alcoholic profile pix. Fucc.

That should be fine. No problem with an alcoholic profile pic on a fitness website. I guess some people had their feelings hurted when other people had progress pics that revealed *gasp* progress! Those get taken away really quick. Happened to a friend of mine today. Can't show progress on the fitness site. Alcohol, why not?

Lol my third strike will probably be saying fucc. Even though I made up that word! Haha.
  • jeannesheehy
    Options
    I just started reading these posts because I want support and I applaud you for speaking your mind! That is terrible that some make fun of others!! Thanks for the warning, I will watch out for these people...take care. :flowerforyou:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Good thing you dont post this junk in the BB.com forums!

You get your *kitten* handed to ya!
    bf22c5ab.jpg

Give it how you take it!
    If you dont like the responses and they arent helping you then ignore them!
    Always defend what you know is right as long as you are properly informed.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Bump. :sad:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I judged people for wasting their lives when I was fat, too.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Even when I was a newbie on this site, those threads helped drive home the message about some of these fads and whatever you want to call the rest. Humor can be an incredible teaching tool, especially when the wall of text method just isn't getting the point to the right people. You are backing out of them. My advice? Keep doing just that if you get nothing out of them, not even a laugh.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Before this gets out of hand..

You all are arguing with a post made back in August.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    ONE NIGHT STAND!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Before this gets out of hand..

You all are arguing with a post made back in August.

It can't possibly be out of hand yet - we're only at 11 pages.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Definitely your eyes!