I'm getting a little tired of this to be honest

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Very well said! I left MFP for awhile, in part because of the pervasive negativity. It's just such a drain to read people battering upon each other. I've used Spark People too, and oddly enough, there are very few rude, condescending remarks in that community. Even now that I'm back using MFP, I still try to stay away from the posts, because even if they're not aimed at me, I don't care to read hypercritical, non-motivational comments to others who are struggling or beginning their health and fitness journey.

can you post a link to an example?

in 4 months i've never seen such posts. i've seen people debunk bad information. i've seen people get into arguments where they were less than polite with each other, but that was always a 2-way street. however, i have not seen anyone on here jump on a new or struggling person just for the sake of doing so, as you have implied with your declarative statement above.

:huh:

Just in this thread alone, how about this one: "Op should really consider changing username to preachyxoxo"

Winnervictori, half the members who have posted on this thread alone have complained about the snarkiness and bullying that goes on here, especially in the "Chit Chat" forum, so why is it that you can't see the forest through your rose coloured glasses?

I just now noticed that OP's u/n is "peachyxoxoxo" so I didn't get the joke the first time. (Get it? peachyxoxo...pReachyxoxo...because she was "preaching" her opinion to the MFP congregation.)

Heh heh...that's actually pretty funny.

Unlike calling someone out for being shortsighted and accusing them of being unable to grasp certain (obvious-to-this-poster) nuances of this thread. That isn't funny at all and is actually quite mean.

So I guess the majority of people here who have witnessed snarkiness and/or bullying in this forum at one time or another are just wrong, in your opinion?

Wow.

Uh, no, I didn't say that...ever.

I don't keep a mental tally of snarkiness because I don't believe it's automatically offensive. Sure, something snarky *can be* offensive, but not all snark *is* offensive. As for bullying, when I do see it (and honestly, it's a stretch to call it that), it is almost always called out by the general MFP population and handled by the mods swiftly.

That said, I do believe it is a popular cry of people who dislike the answers they receive to questions...or to people who spout nonsense as fact and are called out on it...or even by people who dislike the opinion of other people.

TL;DR: I don't equate someone getting butthurt as a post being inappropriate. And when people feel butthurt, they like to retaliate.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    oh boo freakin' who
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    This is called a strawman argument.

I think many issues on MFP could be traced to logical fallacies.

And that ^ would be cherry picking.
  • JanaCanada
    Options
    So I guess the majority of people here who have witnessed snarkiness and/or bullying in this forum at one time or another are just wrong, in your opinion?

Wow.

I don't keep a mental tally of snarkiness because I don't believe it's automatically offensive. Sure, something snarky *can be* offensive, but not all snark *is* offensive. As for bullying, when I do see it (and honestly, it's a stretch to call it that), it is almost always called out by the general MFP population and handled by the mods swiftly.retaliate.

Unless the said "general MFP population" you speak of is, in fact, a group of people who are constantly and consistently on this forum for the sole purpose of being snarky.

I guess what needs to be defined here in order to make your argument cohesive is exactly what you believe constitutes "offensive snark (and/or bullying)" and what does not.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Wow.

I don't keep a mental tally of snarkiness because I don't believe it's automatically offensive. Sure, something snarky *can be* offensive, but not all snark *is* offensive. As for bullying, when I do see it (and honestly, it's a stretch to call it that), it is almost always called out by the general MFP population and handled by the mods swiftly.retaliate.

Unless the said "general MFP population" you speak of is, in fact, a group of people who are constantly and consistently on this forum for the sole purpose of being snarky.

I guess what needs to be defined here in order to make your argument cohesive is exactly what you believe constitutes "offensive snark (and/or bullying)" and what does not.

I think my general argument is cohesive enough for most people as stated.

And I'll admit, I am completely indifferent as to whether or not you are persuaded.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

What? Reading the whole post-chain and not seeing where you got your question from? I believe that's called "reading comprehension."
  • fitgma4
    Options
    Thanks, PeachyXOXO. I joined in July 2012 and didn't get involved in the "community" until this year. It's not difficult to get around, but I admit, if you have a specific question, it's easier to just ask it. I don't ask with the intention of being lazy. I agree there are a lot of rude comments flying around and I really appreciate you stating it. You have made my day!
  • JanaCanada
    Options

Wow.

I think my general argument is cohesive enough for most people as stated.

And I'll admit, I am completely indifferent as to whether or not you are persuaded.

Typical response when one has no defense. lol
  • JanaCanada
    Options

What? Reading the whole post-chain and not seeing where you got your question from? I believe that's called "reading comprehension."

Well, there's a whole world beyond McGuffey. :laugh:
  • orangeyellowkayak
    orangeyellowkayak Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    thanks for the positive thought. I'm new here and need that.
  • CupcakeDefeater
    CupcakeDefeater Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i don't know what your talking about, I have never held and untrue and false beliefs about food, nutrition, exercise, or actually anything EVER! That's how i became 130lbs over weight with hair that falls out too much and bad skin.

NOT!

absolutely love this post and really want to press a 'like' button. you are spot on my lover! this DOES HAVE TO STOP! If people are absolutely amazing they should comment on some pretentious website were people know absolutely everything about absolutely everything! lol
  • firstsip
    Options

Well, there's a whole world beyond McGuffey. :laugh:

l8ASi.gif
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    JEM!!!!! I used to run around pretending to be her when I was a kid. My mom even bought me clip-on star earrings. Good times, good times.....
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    This is a good thread... BUMP
  • firstsip
    Options
    JEM!!!!! I used to run around pretending to be her when I was a kid. My mom even bought me clip-on star earrings. Good times, good times.....

That is truly outrageous.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Those people are just elitist, egotistical douche bags who get amusement out of picking on the less-informed who are here trying to learn. They think them & other trolls are a cool smarter-than-the-rest-clique when really they're just like any group of school yard bullies trying to feel cool.

Yes, it's a bit annoying to hear silly questions or try to enlighten someone who is at square 1, but the way I see it... If you have nothing nice to say, then don't post at all. Go complain about it on your profile and leave the OP alone. I'm not even new to diet/fitness and I find people try to do that to me and assume I'm a newb just because I said "no abs" instead of "no visible abs." Of course I know everyone has abs, do I gotta say everything politically-correct??
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Those people are just elitist, egotistical douche bags who get amusement out of picking on the less-informed who are here trying to learn. They think them & other trolls are a cool smarter-than-the-rest-clique when really they're just like any group of school yard bullies trying to feel cool.

Yes, it's a bit annoying to hear silly questions or try to enlighten someone who is at square 1, but the way I see it... If you have nothing nice to say, then don't post at all. Go complain about it on your profile and leave the OP alone. I'm not even new to diet/fitness and I find people try to do that to me and assume I'm a newb just because I said "no abs" instead of "no visible abs." Of course I know everyone has abs, do I gotta say everything politically-correct??

:laugh:
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    I think when you are asking for someone's opinion you are opening yourself up to all sorts of good and positive feedback and you have to take it in stride. If you don't like the answer you are getting then don't ask the question. Unfortunately, when you ask a question you are opening yourself up to the unknown so if you cannot handle it don't ask. But if someone offers an opinion without you asking then they can go F**** themselves.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I know, right?

(...er, whoops, I mean...)

INORITE?
  • kas1025
    kas1025 Posts: 26
    Options
    I was about to write a post about it then I found this! Well said! Just like myself, I posted a topic about 7 side effects of soda and it had a picture of a soda and listed the 7side effects. I stated that after I found out what it does to your body that I've changed my mind and I'm not going to drink it anymore. EVERYONE got into a battle about it. False facts, wheres the real facts, prove that it has all those side effects etc. Then I had someone say that I'm misleading people with that information. But not once did I say that it was true that you should stop drinking, I just stated that I WAS going to stop. People just need to chill out. When someone finds something their interested in to do research about they will do it, until then they need to stop throwing their "facts" into. Sometimes even the real facts can be hard to believe.