I'm getting a little tired of this to be honest

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    This thread is from August. It should be buried. None of this argument ever needed to happen.

SO stupid!

i have to disagree...(please dont report me)

the conversation had to happen somewhere...since someone has decided to look for things to report...it would have happened somewhere or other

It never needed to happen. Someone thought it would be funny to bump old threads complaining about mean people even though there were already multiple threads on the topic as it is. They wanted to laugh as everyone argued against nothing.

People fell for it and got banned for it.

I just want to hear if they still think it was so funny.

Wait. You mean people were stricken/banned today for their posts they made months ago? Or they made new posts in the thread that led to strikes/banning?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Wait. You mean people were stricken/banned today for their posts they made months ago? Or they made new posts in the thread that led to strikes/banning?

I know of at least two who were banned today based on posts made months ago that were resurrected then pounced on by people who found them "offensive." In at least one of those cases, the "offending" remark was taken completely out of context and was intended to be funny.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    And the ones I know were banned for posts made today. So congratulations to the various thread necromancers. You really got people good. 3 of the funniest people I know are banned now. Yay.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I know of at least two who were banned today based on posts made months ago that were resurrected then pounced on by people who found them "offensive."

This almost never happens, but I'm speechless...(er, type-less. Hmm, still not right. At a loss for words. Yeah, that works).

ETA: I still say it's the system that is flawed.
  • VelociMama
    Options

I completely agree with you.

If this kind of moderation continues, MFP is going to end up just like spark with nothing but craptastic information and no discourse.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

If this kind of moderation continues, MFP is going to end up just like spark with nothing but craptastic information and no discourse.

and that's exactly the way the people who don't want their feelings hurt or don't want to have to defend or prove their silly and dangerous assertions, want it.
  • VelociMama
    Options

and that's exactly the way the people who don't want their feelings hurt or don't want to have to defend or prove their silly and dangerous assertions, want it.

In the end, it's not what these people want, but how the admins and mods steer the community in what determines how the community will function. If the mods continue to be so blase about reporting (not checking for context, assuming the worst about reported posts, not taking into consideration the reported person's total contribution to the site and others, etc.), then this is where we're going. It's a privately run website. There's only so much us users can control about how it runs.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

The mods are doing the banning, not I. I assume they have rules that they use to decide when a comment crosses the line between playful banter and attack. (And by the way, it's usually pretty clear from the context when someone is attacking a new person who can't possibly be friends with the attacker.)

My rule for behaving on the internet is that when I start worrying about being misinterpreted for something I write, I don't write it. It really works quite well--I've never been banned from anywhere.

I've looked and a number of your posts could be reported. Not being supportive, foul language...

Now I would never report you for that. It seems like you're a smart person and helpful user. But someone else could for whatever reason and you would be banned.

I prefer a world where we don't all run around seeing how fast we can tell on each other. Because you never know when it might come back to bite you.

Wish she had listened :frown:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

I send them there for a sweeter, more hand holding community.

meanwhile, this is how you look when you try to do lunges after squatting.

tumblr_m6s1i0ZBX11rnruje.gif
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    To the MFP veterans: It's January. All the new people who haven't figured out how MFP works yet are bombarding the forums with the same questions over and over and over again. I suspect most of them have never been on an internet forum at all either, which makes things really frustrating when they get offended by things that are never meant to be offensive. It happens every single year. If it's a problem for you, just avoid the forums until about March. Otherwise, just suck it up, tread lightly, and ride it out like the rest of us do.

For those of you who are new, please realize that you ARE welcome here. However, it's considered a common courtesy to others on any forum to use the search feature to see if you can answer your questions without posting a new topic. This is very beneficial to you also as you can often learn a whole lot more than just what you were asking and can often find the information you need more readily than if you started a new post. If you don't find an answer to your question or if you're confused about what you read, please post a new thread and ask. That's what it's there for, and I hope that you will use the resources here to your advantage.

Furthermore, some people may crack jokes. These jokes are 90% of the time not at your expense but at the expense of bad information. Many of us here have worked very hard to make sure that the propagation of fad diets, weight loss pills, and starvation diets is as limited as possible. This is GOOD for the community and you. Having the right information and knowledge under your belt is the difference between success and failure for most people. When you report someone for making a humorous post because you are "offended" please take a moment to realize that you really cannot convey tone via internet. Unless there is a direct insult (name-calling, etc.), you really have no idea if that post was intended to be offensive or not. By reporting people for things that are "borderline", you may risk them getting banned entirely which is exceptionally unfair if all they were doing was adding a little humor to your post. This is especially true for people who have been here a while and have contributed thousands of helpful and wise posts that have helped many people. You're essentially eliminating a potentially good resource for you and others on here and making the community even worse because you misinterpreted what they said to you and got defensive. That being said, if someone does name-call you or directly attack you, please report them. Bullying (real bullying) should not be tolerated here, and I don't think anyone will disagree with that at all.

Long story short, try not to take things so personally when you're first here. This is a great and resourceful community. Just like in real life, you may have to deal with people that don't quite "mesh" with your personality. Deal with it by ignoring those people and moving on. Focus on the people who do offer good support and that you get along with.

New users have the right to ask the same questions that have been asked because when regarding health and diet, information changes so frequently and users are coming to the site by the dozens everyday that it gives them the opportunity to share both new and redundant information. Yes, common courtesy is a player but that goes both ways. It is not common courtesy for people to brow beat new users for not choosing to search old forums before posting their questions and they shouldn't be discouraged for asking for the information again. Some may not realize there is a way to search old forums... I didn't know it at first. General rule is if this happens, advise politely "you can search old topics if you'd like but here is what I know of the subject.... and in the event you'd like to see old posts on this topic you could try reviewing this thread (insert link). It polite and handles all needs of the OP
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Oh, and personally, the forum search feature here is so awful, I don't even fault people for not using it before posting their (recurring) questions.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    New users have the right to ask the same questions that have been asked because when regarding health and diet, information changes so frequently and users are coming to the site by the dozens everyday that it gives them the opportunity to share both new and redundant information.

The basic information doesn't really change that often at all. I can see how someone new would assume that though.
    Yes, common courtesy is a player but that goes both ways. It is not common courtesy for people to brow beat new users for not choosing to search old forums before posting their questions and they shouldn't be discouraged for asking for the information again. Some may not realize there is a way to search old forums... I didn't know it at first. General rule is if this happens, advise politely "you can search old topics if you'd like but here is what I know of the subject.... and in the event you'd like to see old posts on this topic you could try reviewing this thread (insert link). It polite and handles all needs of the OP

All of this I agree with also.

My point is that there are a lot of new people who come in around January every year, and we end up with 10-20 of the EXACT same questions being posted ad nauseum (sometimes 5 threads on the same question posted every single day). This is not only bad for the people who've been here a while who have to try to sort through it all to get to the posts that aren't redundant, but it's bad for the new people as well who likely will not get decent answers to those questions when a simple search would suffice to answer most of what they're inquiring about. A whole lot of the frustration on both sides can be eliminated by encouraging people who are new to do more searches for previous threads.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I've learned a LOT from the forums - I can't thank the knowledgeable members enough, because they've changed my life!!! - and I'd say about 99.9% of what I learned was from reading threads, not asking questions and starting new threads.

For instance, about two years ago, I saw a thread on something called "exercise calories." WTF is that? So I clicked it, and learned that I'm supposed to eat them. I think I was anyway, but not always. Later, I learned that it's best to not net below 1200. Then I learned the benefits of getting more protein than MFP suggests, and what amazing things strength training does to a woman's body. And I didn't have to ask a thing. The info was all here. I just had to have a thirst for knowledge... and a near-crippling forum addiction. :ohwell: Sure, it's a little more time consuming than asking questions, and if I had a specific question, I'd sure as hell ask it, but browsing the forums was sure a better use of time than Mafia Wars and Farmville on Facebook.
  • rede2go
    rede2go Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%... !!!!
  • huggykpuma
    huggykpuma Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Very well said, thank you
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Very well said! I left MFP for awhile, in part because of the pervasive negativity. It's just such a drain to read people battering upon each other. I've used Spark People too, and oddly enough, there are very few rude, condescending remarks in that community. Even now that I'm back using MFP, I still try to stay away from the posts, because even if they're not aimed at me, I don't care to read hypercritical, non-motivational comments to others who are struggling or beginning their health and fitness journey.

can you post a link to an example?

in 4 months i've never seen such posts. i've seen people debunk bad information. i've seen people get into arguments where they were less than polite with each other, but that was always a 2-way street. however, i have not seen anyone on here jump on a new or struggling person just for the sake of doing so, as you have implied with your declarative statement above.

:huh:

Just in this thread alone, how about this one: "Op should really consider changing username to preachyxoxo"

Winnervictori, half the members who have posted on this thread alone have complained about the snarkiness and bullying that goes on here, especially in the "Chit Chat" forum, so why is it that you can't see the forest through your rose coloured glasses?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Very well said! I left MFP for awhile, in part because of the pervasive negativity. It's just such a drain to read people battering upon each other. I've used Spark People too, and oddly enough, there are very few rude, condescending remarks in that community. Even now that I'm back using MFP, I still try to stay away from the posts, because even if they're not aimed at me, I don't care to read hypercritical, non-motivational comments to others who are struggling or beginning their health and fitness journey.

in 4 months i've never seen such posts. i've seen people debunk bad information. i've seen people get into arguments where they were less than polite with each other, but that was always a 2-way street. however, i have not seen anyone on here jump on a new or struggling person just for the sake of doing so, as you have implied with your declarative statement above.

Just in this thread alone, how about this one: "Op should really consider changing username to preachyxoxo"

Winnervictori, half the members who have posted on this thread alone have complained about the snarkiness and bullying that goes on here, especially in the "Chit Chat" forum, so why is it that you can't see the forest through your rose coloured glasses?

I just now noticed that OP's u/n is "peachyxoxoxo" so I didn't get the joke the first time. (Get it? peachyxoxo...pReachyxoxo...because she was "preaching" her opinion to the MFP congregation.)

Heh heh...that's actually pretty funny.

Unlike calling someone out for being shortsighted and accusing them of being unable to grasp certain (obvious-to-this-poster) nuances of this thread. That isn't funny at all and is actually quite mean.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options

I just now noticed that OP's u/n is "peachyxoxoxo" so I didn't get the joke the first time. (Get it? peachyxoxo...pReachyxoxo...because she was "preaching" her opinion to the MFP congregation.)

Unlike calling someone out for being shortsighted and accusing them of being unable to grasp certain (obvious-to-this-poster) nuances of this thread. That isn't funny at all and is actually quite mean.

So I guess the majority of people here who have witnessed snarkiness and/or bullying in this forum at one time or another are just wrong, in your opinion?

Wow.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've learned a LOT from the forums - I can't thank the knowledgeable members enough, because they've changed my life!!! - and I'd say about 99.9% of what I learned was from reading threads, not asking questions and starting new threads.

For instance, about two years ago, I saw a thread on something called "exercise calories." WTF is that? So I clicked it, and learned that I'm supposed to eat them. I think I was anyway, but not always. Later, I learned that it's best to not net below 1200. Then I learned the benefits of getting more protein than MFP suggests, and what amazing things strength training does to a woman's body. And I didn't have to ask a thing. The info was all here. I just had to have a thirst for knowledge... and a near-crippling forum addiction. :ohwell: Sure, it's a little more time consuming than asking questions, and if I had a specific question, I'd sure as hell ask it, but browsing the forums was sure a better use of time than Mafia Wars and Farmville on Facebook.

^ This.

In fact, eight or nine months ago I stumbled across a post by someone named LorinaLynn advocating weight lifting and NOT listening to the flawed information that you'll bulk up, you'll look manly, etc.... :wink:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

So I guess the majority of people here who have witnessed snarkiness and/or bullying in this forum at one time or another are just wrong, in your opinion?

Wow.

This is called a strawman argument.

I think many issues on MFP could be traced to logical fallacies.