I'm getting a little tired of this to be honest

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Before this gets out of hand..

You all are arguing with a post made back in August.

And just so we're all clear, eman should be taken out behind the shed and beaten.

Well, that, or he should be given a medal.

Honestly, I'm not sure which one it is right now. I guess we could flip a coin.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options

And just so we're all clear, eman should be taken out behind the shed and beaten.

I'm offended by coins.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Very well said! I left MFP for awhile, in part because of the pervasive negativity. It's just such a drain to read people battering upon each other. I've used Spark People too, and oddly enough, there are very few rude, condescending remarks in that community. Even now that I'm back using MFP, I still try to stay away from the posts, because even if they're not aimed at me, I don't care to read hypercritical, non-motivational comments to others who are struggling or beginning their health and fitness journey.

can you post a link to an example?

in 4 months i've never seen such posts. i've seen people debunk bad information. i've seen people get into arguments where they were less than polite with each other, but that was always a 2-way street. however, i have not seen anyone on here jump on a new or struggling person just for the sake of doing so, as you have implied with your declarative statement above.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Well judging by the number of my friends who've been banned for their replies to those threads I'm gonna hold off on giving him a medal just yet...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    This is such an old post, it was probably in response to whatever was going on that particular day. I remember feeling a bit annoyed back then, but can't even remember what about. But, I don't feel that way at all now. I think with stuff like this it's best just to let things go once in a while. It's an old post. Everyone's probably over it.

Edit: this is not a specific response to any one person. I did not read the comments. So, if there is a new discussion going on, I did not read it and am not responding to that.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    New MFP Ruler! After 3 weeks on here, Mike - Steven - you're out.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Very well said! I left MFP for awhile, in part because of the pervasive negativity. It's just such a drain to read people battering upon each other. I've used Spark People too, and oddly enough, there are very few rude, condescending remarks in that community. Even now that I'm back using MFP, I still try to stay away from the posts, because even if they're not aimed at me, I don't care to read hypercritical, non-motivational comments to others who are struggling or beginning their health and fitness journey.

in 4 months i've never seen such posts. i've seen people debunk bad information. i've seen people get into arguments where they were less than polite with each other, but that was always a 2-way street. however, i have not seen anyone on here jump on a new or struggling person just for the sake of doing so, as you have implied with your declarative statement above.

*wanted to say out of this, so badly...but....*

i saw a post yesterday about a woman who had had a child and was wondering if her stomach would ever go back to "normal." a brave woman posted her amazing progress in her journey and the OP cruelly hated on the woman by saying she would rather adopt in the future because there was no way in hell she'd ever want to look like that (paraphrasing).

i try to stay happy and be a modern day hippie/comedienne on here. not the most popular but definitely not the least.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

i saw a post yesterday about a woman who had had a child and was wondering if her stomach would ever go back to "normal." a brave woman posted her amazing progress in her journey and the OP cruelly hated on the woman by saying she would rather adopt in the future because there was no way in hell she'd ever want to look like that (paraphrasing).

i try to stay happy and be a modern day hippie/comedienne on here. not the most popular but definitely not the least.

do you have a link so i can see it for myself?
  • BeeElMarvin
    Options

I saw this. The OP in that case was an absolute tool. People were trying to show her how great they had done since having babies and she just kept saying "no more babies" - she didn't want to ruin her body. She was 1 dumb ***** out of many good people.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I've been reporting posts that insult other members. This is a large forum, and the moderators cannot get to every offensive post (of which there are many). I recommend everyone else do the same--report posts to the mods instead of engaging with the trolls, or just step away from the discussions.

that's not really fair

1. you cant tell when its two friends insulting each other
    2. everyone's definition of offensive is different
    3. if you get reported by three people, who did not actually get their feelings hurt- and just felt like clicking report report report for fun instead of ignoring it... then you get permanently banned. That's a harsh punishment for not even hurting someone's feelings and making a joke with someone on your friends list.

Way harsh.

Dont run around banning people from the forums just because you think there should be one standard kind of humor or interaction on here.

please?

Like I said somewhere else today, long time, successful users will be banned thanks to people who've been on the site for a month.

That's just not good at all.

Historically, at least, it seems that earning strikes has been far more dependent on having gained one or more "haters" and not on the actual content of the posts. I have no doubt that most people who have made >1000 posts will have at least a dozen "technically in violation" posts.

At one time, I thought that the Community Guidelines (all hail) were written so broadly just so they *could* take care of someone causing problems and use the CG as support...which, honestly, big picture, makes sense. However, having seen some of the posts that have actually resulted in strikes (and having received one for an "in" type post myself), I no longer see it that way. I've also seen it happen many times that in a thread full of hundreds of posts, blatant violations go untouched while far lesser violations are nuked and given a strike.

And don't assume that just because your post is old that it's no longer "in play". My strike for that "in" post was for a two-month old post. Apparently, there is no statute of limitations (or if there is, it's more than two months).

Now, could someone go through the threads eman resurrected and do a "Where are they now?" update on all of the OPs? I haven't looked at any of them, but I have some hypotheses about correlations between those who make these "why is everyone so mean?" posts and their success.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    To the MFP veterans: It's January. All the new people who haven't figured out how MFP works yet are bombarding the forums with the same questions over and over and over again. I suspect most of them have never been on an internet forum at all either, which makes things really frustrating when they get offended by things that are never meant to be offensive. It happens every single year. If it's a problem for you, just avoid the forums until about March. Otherwise, just suck it up, tread lightly, and ride it out like the rest of us do.

For those of you who are new, please realize that you ARE welcome here. However, it's considered a common courtesy to others on any forum to use the search feature to see if you can answer your questions without posting a new topic. This is very beneficial to you also as you can often learn a whole lot more than just what you were asking and can often find the information you need more readily than if you started a new post. If you don't find an answer to your question or if you're confused about what you read, please post a new thread and ask. That's what it's there for, and I hope that you will use the resources here to your advantage.

Furthermore, some people may crack jokes. These jokes are 90% of the time not at your expense but at the expense of bad information. Many of us here have worked very hard to make sure that the propagation of fad diets, weight loss pills, and starvation diets is as limited as possible. This is GOOD for the community and you. Having the right information and knowledge under your belt is the difference between success and failure for most people. When you report someone for making a humorous post because you are "offended" please take a moment to realize that you really cannot convey tone via internet. Unless there is a direct insult (name-calling, etc.), you really have no idea if that post was intended to be offensive or not. By reporting people for things that are "borderline", you may risk them getting banned entirely which is exceptionally unfair if all they were doing was adding a little humor to your post. This is especially true for people who have been here a while and have contributed thousands of helpful and wise posts that have helped many people. You're essentially eliminating a potentially good resource for you and others on here and making the community even worse because you misinterpreted what they said to you and got defensive. That being said, if someone does name-call you or directly attack you, please report them. Bullying (real bullying) should not be tolerated here, and I don't think anyone will disagree with that at all.

Long story short, try not to take things so personally when you're first here. This is a great and resourceful community. Just like in real life, you may have to deal with people that don't quite "mesh" with your personality. Deal with it by ignoring those people and moving on. Focus on the people who do offer good support and that you get along with.
  • BeeElMarvin
    Options
    I've been reporting posts that insult other members. This is a large forum, and the moderators cannot get to every offensive post (of which there are many). I recommend everyone else do the same--report posts to the mods instead of engaging with the trolls, or just step away from the discussions.

that's not really fair

1. you cant tell when its two friends insulting each other
    2. everyone's definition of offensive is different
    3. if you get reported by three people, who did not actually get their feelings hurt- and just felt like clicking report report report for fun instead of ignoring it... then you get permanently banned. That's a harsh punishment for not even hurting someone's feelings and making a joke with someone on your friends list.

Way harsh.

Dont run around banning people from the forums just because you think there should be one standard kind of humor or interaction on here.

please?

Like I said somewhere else today, long time, successful users will be banned thanks to people who've been on the site for a month.

That's just not good at all.

Historically, at least, it seems that earning strikes has been far more dependent on having gained one or more "haters" and not on the actual content of the posts. I have no doubt that most people who have made >1000 posts will have at least a dozen "technically in violation" posts.

At one time, I thought that the Community Guidelines (all hail) were written so broadly just so they *could* take care of someone causing problems and use the CG as support...which, honestly, big picture, makes sense. However, having seen some of the posts that have actually resulted in strikes (and having received one for an "in" type post myself), I no longer see it that way. I've also seen it happen many times that in a thread full of hundreds of posts, blatant violations go untouched while far lesser violations are nuked and given a strike.

And don't assume that just because your post is old that it's no longer "in play". My strike for that "in" post was for a two-month old post. Apparently, there is no statute of limitations (or if there is, it's more than two months).

Now, could someone go through the threads eman resurrected and do a "Where are they now?" update on all of the OPs? I haven't looked at any of them, but I have some hypotheses about correlations between those who make these "why is everyone so mean?" posts and their success.

Maybe jof, but in this case it's anybody who p!sses a certain person off.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Did you read what all the "cool" kids did to that woman? She was reported, called out, and asked to apologize for her comment. Not a single other person agreed with her.

These types of events happen when you get a large group of people together no matter where you are. Seeing the community come together to let this lady know how awful and vile her comments were should've clued you in that people like that are a rarity here.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    To the MFP veterans: It's January. All the new people who haven't figured out how MFP works yet are bombarding the forums with the same questions over and over and over again. I suspect most of them have never been on an internet forum at all either, which makes things really frustrating when they get offended by things that are never meant to be offensive. It happens every single year. If it's a problem for you, just avoid the forums until about March. Otherwise, just suck it up, tread lightly, and ride it out like the rest of us do.

For those of you who are new, please realize that you ARE welcome here. However, it's considered a common courtesy to others on any forum to use the search feature to see if you can answer your questions without posting a new topic. This is very beneficial to you also as you can often learn a whole lot more than just what you were asking and can often find the information you need more readily than if you started a new post. If you don't find an answer to your question or if you're confused about what you read, please post a new thread and ask. That's what it's there for, and I hope that you will use the resources here to your advantage.

Furthermore, some people may crack jokes. These jokes are 90% of the time not at your expense but at the expense of bad information. Many of us here have worked very hard to make sure that the propagation of fad diets, weight loss pills, and starvation diets is as limited as possible. This is GOOD for the community and you. Having the right information and knowledge under your belt is the difference between success and failure for most people. When you report someone for making a humorous post because you are "offended" please take a moment to realize that you really cannot convey tone via internet. Unless there is a direct insult (name-calling, etc.), you really have no idea if that post was intended to be offensive or not. By reporting people for things that are "borderline", you may risk them getting banned entirely which is exceptionally unfair if all they were doing was adding a little humor to your post. This is especially true for people who have been here a while and have contributed thousands of helpful and wise posts that have helped many people. You're essentially eliminating a potentially good resource for you and others on here and making the community even worse because you misinterpreted what they said to you and got defensive. That being said, if someone does name-call you or directly attack you, please report them. Bullying (real bullying) should not be tolerated here, and I don't think anyone will disagree with that at all.

Long story short, try not to take things so personally when you're first here. This is a great and resourceful community. Just like in real life, you may have to deal with people that don't quite "mesh" with your personality. Deal with it by ignoring those people and moving on. Focus on the people who do offer good support and that you get along with.
    This needs its own thread.
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    This thread is from August. It should be buried. None of this argument ever needed to happen.

SO stupid!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Did you read what all the "cool" kids did to that woman? She was reported, called out, and asked to apologize for her comment. Not a single other person agreed with her.

These types of events happen when you get a large group of people together no matter where you are. Seeing the community come together to let this lady know how awful and vile her comments were should've clued you in that people like that are a rarity here.

I agree. Mfp is really a great bunch of people and they do stand up for each other when someone is actually cruel.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I've seen the sparkpeople forums too...and they were remarkably devoid of solid information. They were, however, full of the typical Dr. Oz, raspberry ketones, fat-burners, soup diets, juice cleanses, detoxes, etc.

I don't understand how people aren't able to see these differences...and I find that far more frustrating than a few threads that spiral out of control. Working in an environment without people willing to engage in an exchange of information is a dangerous place.

/caring

*ragequit*
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    This thread is from August. It should be buried. None of this argument ever needed to happen.

SO stupid!

i have to disagree...(please dont report me)

the conversation had to happen somewhere...since someone has decided to look for things to report...it would have happened somewhere or other
  • BrettPGH
    Options

SO stupid!

i have to disagree...(please dont report me)

the conversation had to happen somewhere...since someone has decided to look for things to report...it would have happened somewhere or other

It never needed to happen. Someone thought it would be funny to bump old threads complaining about mean people even though there were already multiple threads on the topic as it is. They wanted to laugh as everyone argued against nothing.

People fell for it and got banned for it.

I just want to hear if they still think it was so funny.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Well judging by the number of my friends who've been banned for their replies to those threads I'm gonna hold off on giving him a medal just yet...

I don't know that I can pin the blame on the necromancer though. And resurrecting the threads isn't the problem...it's the system. Like you said, their banning is inevitable. Whether it's a few threads like these, or some other lively debate threads, the strikes will come...because like I've said many times before, nearly every active user of the MFP forums has dozens of strikes and it's just a matter of someone taking the time to report them.

(And yeah, I know, by posting this observation, I'm making myself an easy target. Whatever. I've been overdue for my six-month MFP forum vacation for a while now. To those of you who take delight in reporting posts, please do me a favor: at least make it the *good* posts. Not the lazy one-liners that require an explanation of the context to understand. Nah, make them for my novellas that I occasionally post. Besides, it should be easier to find technically-in-violation remarks in those long posts anyhow.)