I'm getting a little tired of this to be honest

Options

Replies

• micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    . When someone finds something their interested in to do research about they will do it, until then they need to stop throwing their "facts" into. Sometimes even the real facts can be hard to believe.

So basically you don't want people to post actual facts? You think they should just let people post misinformation and not comment?

Personally, I've learned a hell of a lot from people who know what they're talking about on here. These people back up their facts with studies, which I can then follow through an research. If I'd never been given the 'fact' in the first place I might not have known I was misinformed at all.

This place would be a lot worse off if those who actually back up their claims stop posting facts like you want them too. It's the most useful part of the forums.

If your not interested in actual facts, and prefer to believe whatever you want to believe then just don't read the posts. I prefer to know when I'm being ignorant and have the wrong information. I like to learn and want to be corrected when I'm wrong about something. What on earth is the point otherwise?
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I was about to write a post about it then I found this! Well said! Just like myself, I posted a topic about 7 side effects of soda and it had a picture of a soda and listed the 7side effects. I stated that after I found out what it does to your body that I've changed my mind and I'm not going to drink it anymore. EVERYONE got into a battle about it. False facts, wheres the real facts, prove that it has all those side effects etc. Then I had someone say that I'm misleading people with that information. But not once did I say that it was true that you should stop drinking, I just stated that I WAS going to stop. People just need to chill out. When someone finds something their interested in to do research about they will do it, until then they need to stop throwing their "facts" into. Sometimes even the real facts can be hard to believe.
    Yeah, there is definitely a culture here of challenging misinformation. Be prepared to deal with it if you post anything claiming to be "factual."
  • kas1025
    kas1025 Posts: 26
    Options
    ^ Just like that. ha, lord help me. I'm not saying people shouldn't post their facts, maybe I word that part wrong in my other post. If people are going to throw facts they need to back it up. I didn't put that post up there for everyone to believe, I mean really, everyone knows drinking soda all the time is bad. You have to control the intake, which I WASNT and thats why I said I was going to stop. Now if I knew all of those side effects were true, I would have backed it up. No body is forcing others to believe what they put on here. It's in their own hands to take that info and look into. Enough said.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I was about to write a post about it then I found this! Well said! Just like myself, I posted a topic about 7 side effects of soda and it had a picture of a soda and listed the 7side effects. I stated that after I found out what it does to your body that I've changed my mind and I'm not going to drink it anymore. EVERYONE got into a battle about it. False facts, wheres the real facts, prove that it has all those side effects etc. Then I had someone say that I'm misleading people with that information. But not once did I say that it was true that you should stop drinking, I just stated that I WAS going to stop. People just need to chill out. When someone finds something their interested in to do research about they will do it, until then they need to stop throwing their "facts" into. Sometimes even the real facts can be hard to believe.
    Yeah, there is definitely a culture here of challenging misinformation. Be prepared to deal with it if you post anything claiming to be "factual."

And is this bad? I've learned so much because of it. I love it, especially because it has helped me understand fitness and my own weight loss 100x more. It has helped me make better decisions and to understand where all these numbers, theories, etc come from.

What's wrong with getting both sides of the story and getting educated?
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Isn't it wonderful? That's one of the things I love about a free society is that there is usually somebody somewhere who's willing to challenge fabricated BS. If only there were more of us.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

And is this bad? I've learned so much because of it. I love it, especially because it has helped me understand fitness and my own weight loss 100x more. It has helped me make better decisions and to understand where all these numbers, theories, etc come from.

What's wrong with getting both sides of the story and getting educated?
    Heh, I never said it was bad :wink:
  • micls
    Options
    . If people are going to throw facts they need to back it up. I didn't put that post up there for everyone to believe, I mean really,

I don't really understand this tbh. You put up a post, which claimed facts that weren't true (the picture). Why would you put it up if you didn't want people to believe it?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Also wanted to add that I also appreciate the bluntness and yes, even the snarkiness of comments. I would rather someone just give it to me straight then sugar coat it. I also realize that text is hard to decipher in regards to knowing the exact "tone" of the message. Overall, I'm here to learn and I don't care someone makes an opposing comment or humorous remark while they are at it. The forums are meant for discussions and opinions of ALL types...and I'm not going to assume that someone is being disrespectful because most of the time - the people you say are "mean"...are some of the most motivating, nice and knowledgeable people about.
  • mdalton1987
    Options
    Amazing and inspirational! Thank you!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Like every time I open a thread and realize "...oh it's one of these..." I peace out.

That's what I thought when I opened THIS thread lol
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    agree 100%
  • redguardians
    Options
    you just have to do what works for you. good luck
  • kas1025
    Options
    Ok, so maybe I was wrong for putting that up, but hey...everyone has a right to put something up here. But again, where am I forcing people to believe that post...explain that to me? Where am I saying that you should stop drinking it? By the picture? No, anyone can make that up. All I'm saying is that people have different point of views about certain things and they post it on here, so I did mine. You going to bash me cause I posted something that I believe to be true on some parts. Since I've cut down on sodas for about a month a lot of my side effects are going away and I didn't change nothing to my diet just the sodas. Some people are more sensitive to certain chemicals that are in the foods/drinks. So bash and battle all you want over someone posting something cause at one point, I'm sure you all didn't know much about this life style change till you was ready to learn it.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Ok, so maybe I was wrong for putting that up, but hey...everyone has a right to put something up here. But again, where am I forcing people to believe that post...explain that to me? Where am I saying that you should stop drinking it? By the picture? No, anyone can make that up. All I'm saying is that people have different point of views about certain things and they post it on here, so I did mine. You going to bash me cause I posted something that I believe to be true on some parts. Since I've cut down on sodas for about a month a lot of my side effects are going away and I didn't change nothing to my diet just the sodas. Some people are more sensitive to certain chemicals that are in the foods/drinks. So bash and battle all you want over someone posting something cause at one point, I'm sure you all didn't know much about this life style change till you was ready to learn it.

You are right. Everyone has a right to post something. But that also means everyone has a right to comment on things as they see fit. They have the right to input a joke, point out something wrong, provide other evidence that contradicts your post..etc. And they have the right to do so in the manner that they want.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Isn't it wonderful? That's one of the things I love about a free society is that there is usually somebody somewhere who's willing to challenge fabricated BS. If only there were more of us.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I guess it's just a general online frustration then - I just don't like how people say things so nonchalantly on the internet that they know is inappropriate and they would probably not say to a person in real life. But, what am I gonna do about that :/ that's just sort of how it is.
    That's because some people act like the internet is exactly the same as real life and speak exactly as they would in real life and take everything said to them exactly as personally as they would in real life. Meanwhile, others have a "persona" on the internet that is different from their real life interactions. These people don't take everything personally and don't expect others to, so they are more willing to say blunt or rude or ridiculous things because from their perspective it's just the world of make-believe and the person you're talking at is just a fictional persona too.

I'm sure everyone else will sit there and make value judgments about which of the above 'types' is right or wrong to exist, but the fact is they both exist and will continue to do so. The people who get all butthurt by internet conversations are the only ones who have something to lose, so it's pretty much up to them to adapt because it isn't up to people who have nothing to lose or aren't bothered by the reality of it.
  • CanuckTracy
    CanuckTracy Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    a lot of the ones I've read it's not people correcting or I informing the poster, it's always a bunch of people mocking them...I agree, it's ridiculous sometimes
  • micls
    Options

You weren't wrong to put it up, I think you're wrong to get annoyed that people questioned it and pointed to actual facts that show it was nonsense. In your other post you basically said you'd rather people had left it alone rather than show the facts.

It's never wrong to ask a question, it's never wrong to post something you think is true. It is wrong to get upset/annoyed etc when people show you proof that your post was nonfactual or wrong.

Saying the wrong thing and being corrected is how we learn what the right thing is, but too many people on here just don't want to be corrected at all and want to keep believing whatever they do. That's fine for the individual, but not fair on others reading and taking it as true which is why it MUST be challenged and must be corrected.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the thread you posted, but I think whinging about people not being nice and accepting the incorrect information which is what you did in this thread is wrong.
  • kas1025
    Options

You are right. Everyone has a right to post something. But that also means everyone has a right to comment on things as they see fit. They have the right to input a joke, point out something wrong, provide other evidence that contradicts your post..etc. And they have the right to do so in the manner that they want.

Your are right about that, but its mainly to the ones that say their right but dont back it up with facts or even things they've learned themseleve. I'm not the brightest when it comes to food and drinks, etc. I'm still learning myself. My post got turned in some many directions about how milk is worse for you to drink then soda and that got heated quick of bring up babies and young children that needs that milk to grow. So people have their thoughts, I don't bash them for it. I just give my advice if I see if differently then just saying, oh your wrong, you shouldn't do that or this, this is what you need to do. Everyone is different and thinks differently.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Like every time I open a thread and realize "...oh it's one of these..." I peace out.

That's what I thought when I opened THIS thread lol

+1

These kinds of threads are very hypocritical. They are whining about other people whining. Yet they don't see the hypocrisy.