TURBO JAMMERS!!!!

Options
1161718192022»

Replies

• fitzfour
    fitzfour Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Berta-

What a great meeting you had...I'm so glad you are sharing this with us!! I had one of those ah-ha moments yesterday when I was reading an article about how you should not cut out foods you like out of your diet, but instead have a small amount incorporated when you need to (daily, weekly, etc). I needed to read that and hear it again from you today, as that is what causes my binges (ie last night!). Even though I had a binge last night, it was nothing compared to what I normally do, and most of my excess calories were due to a happy hour few appetizers and dinner out to eat.

So, I'm totally in on this with you, but here's my question...how does that plan differ if you are still working toward your weight loss goal? I think I'm where I need to be (I usually net around 1800 per day, but I also burn about 800 calories a day from my 1 or 2 workouts) for calories to still lose, but I went back to 1/2 pound per week instead of 1 pound, as I think cutting that many calories is too hard for me. Did she give you any ideas of amount of calories to burn a day with exercise, or just the 45 minute thing?

I am glad to hear that she says protein powder is not necessary! I have been going back and forth on that for weeks trying to do research on if it's good or bad. I get lots of protein in my diet from foods, so I started wondering if I really needed it or not. I think once I'm done with the supply I have (which will last me for at least a few more months) I will cut that out too (extra calories that I don't need anyway!)

Sooooo glad you got some answers! Now, let's team up on this and do it together!
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hey there again,
    I'm having a great day..yes I am:smile: ..I am currently a little bored though. I have the day off, but I really feel my body just wants rest...I just got back from the dentist and had an apple and pb snack. It was delightful. I feel so proud taking only one tablespoon of pb out of the jar and putting it away when just a few days ago (and probably still would) eat the whole jar easily:sick: . That's it-Simple! Paired with a yummy large apple and some crackers was totally satisfying right now. I am still debating about CE this afternoon....I am bored but maybe I really should just cut down and let my body recover more?
    Erika-I am so glad you want to join me! I know my situation is a bit different because basically I don't want to lose any weight. My RD touched a little on that when she told me "now if you wanted to lose weight we'd want your calories to be deficit a little." I guess that means the inevitable--cutting some calories:ohwell: She only said that say 45 minutes on the elliptical is plenty and anything more is really taxing to your body. As far as calories go, she said I am still going to be burning a sufficient amount to maintain my weight within 45 minutes instead of 70+, Especially if I am doing strength training as well. She also said that you can't push your body so hard just because you over ate or want to eat. Why do more workouts when there is really no benefit? We need to really LISTEN to our bodies...if you are feeling fatigue then stop..it's not worth forcing yourself to workout more to make up for it. THAT is when the damage happens. I know when I started this journey that I was happy doing one workout and felt good, lost weight--woohoo! Then I started to strive harder and harder and sometimes now I think why do I do all this? Some days running, doing CE and abs all in one day? Seems silly when your told you're kinda setting yourself up for failure..
    And also if you are hungry, eat! (Just keep it HEALTHY and don't overdo it--ie: bingessss:sick: ) Exercise is not supposed to be punishment! I am totally guilty of that! She asked me this question: Are you obsessed? I just stopped and stared I'm sure. Wow..honesty kicked me and I answered yea. I do think it has become a set number to burn every day or a calorie allotment now..am I truly happy with the way things are? Sometimes I feel so trapped by my workouts and eating that I can't have as much fun? I eat out of boredom? I deny myself things? I panic when something is said about "going out to eat" or there is a change of plans? Geez..that sounds like an obsession to me. I am sorry girls for all this crazy talk...just ALOT of things have been brought to my attention today and it just makes sense. I have to change some things to allow myself to live a *normal* AND healthy life again because this is becoming too much. Erika- I'm not sure how you feel about all of what I am saying, and you can msg me privately if you prefer, but doesn't your body feel fatigued when you are pushing pushing pushing every day? Is one workout not enough for a day? Do we REALLY have to set a "calorie burn goal for the day"? I know it is beginning to catch up with me-I'm tired, get cranky easily, freak out when I don't get a workout in, binge...etc. Enough is enough. Man I sound like I am preaching! Really I am sorry...:blushing:
    Just know I worry about each of you..don't over-do it. Stick to what your body can/should handle in a day. I think for me it is an obsession like "oh wow the more I burn the more I can eat!" Until now where obviously what I am allowed to eat is not satisfying me any longer...Food obsession? yes probably...that is so sad. :frown: BUT I am getting grips on this, going to back off a little and I will start by creating a new workout schedule tonight. I think I will keep my routine the same just tweak and play for awhile until I am in that happy medium. I guess I have 3 weeks to do it! :laugh: And then re-eval and see if I am happier there:smile:
    Thank you for listening everyone, I really really appreciate all the support I have with this. Check back later!
  • lilangel7671
    Options
    Another add--I am using up my protein powder too and not going to continue with it! I actually found out I have been eating almost twice as much protein as I needed daily! So we are shifting off some proteins into fats and hopefully will bring a better balance to my meals!
  • fitzfour
    Options
    Berta-

I am so in the same boat as you!!! I used to not worry about going out to eat, or going to a friends house and now I'm "that girl" that's always counting calories, and always worrying about if I'm going over. I've learned to lay off a bit, but still probably could do more!

The only difference with me, is I could workout forever and I never feel fatigued. I exercise at night out of pure boredom...that's really my only reason! I do need to work on taking a rest day, and also need to figure out a "happy weight" for me. I do have a few pounds I want to lose still (I gained about 5 over the last 2-3 weeks), and trying to figure out how to do that safely. I am so excited for maintenance mode!!!

I'm going to re-evaluate my workout schedule for the next couple months. I typically only will do 1 cardio workout per day and then strength too on M-W-F. Most days it's about and hour total of workout time.

We can be accountability buddies..making sure we rest, not workout too much, and watch our foods. We can do this!
  • lilangel7671
    Options
    Thank Erika!!! YES WE CAN! I am SO ready for a change! I am going to come up with my workout schedule tonight and see how that goes for this next week. I am going to keep my calories between 1800-1900 a day, adjusting it to meet my new nutritional goals. I dunno...sometimes when I thought about it it's like I was striving to look like Jillian Michaels with these six-pack abs and not an ounce of fat..well guess what? It's been months of pushing and I've gone nowhere but BACKWARDS! lol...so just it's getting in my head to be happy with my body the way it is...why does it have to be perfect? Who even cares!??! I will be a strong, HEALTHY individual this way, and I am ready to take it head on!!!!:drinker:
  • mommy2boys
    Options
    Hi everyone! I hope you don't mind if I join your group. I just started Turbo Jam Cardio Party this morning & oh my was I sweating buckets by the end! Did anyone else feel uncoordinated at first? I felt a little lost on some of the moves but just kept moving. What do you log it in as? I think I'm really going to love it once I get the moves down! Thanks for your responses in advance!:smile:
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Berta- thanks so much for your insights! And for explaining to us some of the dietian's concerns. I think I can fall into that category of "obsessed" too. And I find that I do a lot of exercising in one day as well. I usually work out for close to 2 hours a day, when I do my 60 minute Turbo Kicks and then another 45 minutes of ChaLean Extreme AND Abs. I know in the beginning I wasn't doing as much exercises but I think this all started when I wasn't seeing the weight fall off as fast as I'd like. At times reality strikes and I think "Hey- I can do this, just slow down and enjoy life" and other times I think "Hey body- I need you to look your absolute best, pronto!" I know I need more balance in my life and to be able to enjoy all foods I so desire, without depriving myself. I know I need to really take a rest day and stick to it. I know that its okay to eat some, if not all of my exercise calories. Its funny because I know all of these things....I just am so stubborn and so driven that I want my results of a perfect body now. So, I need to start putting those things I know into action. I know that this obsession could be dangerous for me personally, I was anorexic for 3 years and I am trying really hard to get to a good weight for me without going extreme. I know I could never be anorexic and starve myself (heck no! I love my food too much). But, part of anorexia is that obsession which causes people to not think logically. So ,I really need to work on this obsession and put it at ease. I'm trying really hard not to "overdo" it with my workouts. I know that running for 60 minutes is sufficient, I probably don't need to do Turbo Kick afterwards.

Thanks Erika and Berta for your insights...I am totally with you. I'm going to re-evaluate what I need to do to maintain and healthy and non-obsessive lifestyle. I am going to work on some things and put together a workout schedule so I don't overdo it and completely wear myself out. I think that is partly why on Tuesday night I fell asleep at 7:30 and didn't wake up until the following morning at 7am. My body was tired and worn out. I keep pushing my body too hard and its going to bring some unkind results if I don't start taking care of it properly. I don't need to look like these professional trainers...I am me and I need to embrace my individuality. I want to feel great and I'm still going to work to achieve my goals...but I am going to take care of my body in the process. I need to!!!

Thanks again ladies...we can do this, and I'm totally with you!!!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    Options
    Hi everyone! I hope you don't mind if I join your group. I just started Turbo Jam Cardio Party this morning & oh my was I sweating buckets by the end! Did anyone else feel uncoordinated at first? I felt a little lost on some of the moves but just kept moving. What do you log it in as? I think I'm really going to love it once I get the moves down! Thanks for your responses in advance!:smile:

mommy2boys- I can hardly remember when I first started Turbo Jam...as its been like 5 years since I started Turbo Jam. But, I do remember that the routines go pretty fast. I am an "instructor", although I am just barely teaching my first class next month. But, each 'Round' that I learn, it takes me a while because each move is different and the routines are fast and intense to get the calorie burn!! yaye!! So, don't worry...in a few weeks you'll be a pro and have the moves down!! For every person I have introduced to Turbo Jam/Turbo Kick they have a hard time getting used to the moves at first, so you are not alone. Just keep pushin through! Its good that you keep moving, that is the goal of every instructor. I think once you have the moves down is when you can start burning mega calories. Because instead of focusing on the moves you can focus more on your strength, form & intensity. If you don't have a HRM, I would use heavy aerobics. For me, each time I do the workout, my calorie burn is different. But, goodluck!! You'll enjoy it!! I like to shake my bum, so I love Chalene's workouts.
  • lilangel7671
    Options
    Hey Jammers! Okay! So Day 1 of my new start:happy: I feel pretty discombobulated today though....lol I had to work the whole day so I'm a bit off schedule. I was going to get up early before work and do some Turbokick, but it just didn't happen...:frown: My body has been sooo sluggish..probably all the bad eating/lack of sleep/stress factors adding up. BUT when I got home (after a craaaazy work day) did some CE Push 3 and Extreme abs! I was so happy that my hand didn't seem to hurt. It is still a bit sore/swollen and my palm is pretty black and blue still:ohwell: . But I did it! Sweet sweet victory!:laugh:
    Anyway, I've pretty much got my eating dead on for the day..almost exactly what my RD recommended for nutrients and I am satisfied after a pasta dinner. I have to admit I feel really weird eating pasta but I measured it out exact, plus my RD said I definitely can eat the 2oz since my body has muscle that is always burning. I guess it doesn't matter as long as I am within range for the day? We'll try it this way and see!
    Tomorrow I plan on getting up early for TurboKick Round 28 and maybe some abs..I've been slacking in that area..lol. Does anybody know some other good ab workouts? I am getting pretty used to CE's and would like to switch it up. I like the corework that CE offers though, so something along that line would be good. On another note, I think I have officially decided to purchase P90x! I want to switch up my strength training regime, and I think I'll be putting CE on the back burner while I try it out. So my new plan of attack is going to look something like this:
    Sunday: Turbokick round/longer cardio DVD at home, abs
    Monday: "rest" day--try out some yoga! (until I get P90x I'll do spinning probably)
    Tuesday: Longer run (60 minutes) or P90x cardio
    Wednesday: short cardio?, P90x strength workout, abs
    Thursday: Mid run (45 minutes) or P90x cardio
    Friday: Spinning class, P90x strength workout, abs
    Saturday: Short run (20-35 minutes), Body Flex class, +/- Turbosculpt?

I'm not sure how intense P90x will be, so this will most likely change. But I am going to try to stick with one longer workout or two shorter (cardio then strength) every day. It will depend on my body to take a full rest day, push a little or "detox" with some yoga maybe? I haven't ordered it just yet, so for now I will be continuing CE in the strength area. I hope just toning down my intensity will put my body back on track:smile: I know some of those days are still kind of intense, I might need to adjust again anyways..I'm trying to find a happy balance of gym time vs. P90x time..and it's easiest to do longer workouts/home workouts on my days off.
    Thanks for tuning in! Have a good night ladies!
    Oh, and glad to have you on board Dawna! We gotta encourage each other with this, it isn't so easy:ohwell:
  • lilangel7671
    Options
    Hi Jammers! So todays Day 2:happy: So far so good. Did TurboKick Round 28 this AM, and some Ab Burner. That is it! And I still feel really good:smooched: I hope this new eating/workout pattern will work for me...I am going to try to stick to one workout a day, or two shorter/less intense ones and that is that.
    I cleaned the house a bit today as well before heading for some groceries! I :heart: getting new foods! haha...probably not such a good thing right now, but I decided to get some immaculate bakery cookies...I am going to TRY this out. I can make just a few at a time because they are individual to help control. Guess that is going to be my "indulgence" for right now, I just pray I haven't made a mistake by getting them:ohwell:
    Tomorrow I am planning on going to spinning class early, it is a shorter/less intense workout anyways, and I feel up to it! I can't just suddenly drop down, so gradually is how I will go. I haven't decided yet when I want to get P90x..I really want to rotate those workouts to mix up my routine because I feel my body getting bored/used to CE and my normal gym pattern. Another MFP'er suggested doing the program as one though, so now I'm debating...I suppose I could always invest in some new TJ's...I think PKJ sounds fun as well as the "on the ball" one? Any suggestions?
    Anyway, I really want to try out some of my new foods tonight, but I already had all my stuff logged in for today, and I'm not sure how bad it will be to go over.....I am still afraid because my lack of self control lately....
    Well, thanks for listening...Check back soon girls!
  • fitzfour
    Options
    Hey Girls!

This morning was Lean 1, and will do some elliptical tonight while I watch The Bachelor!

Berta- I sent you a message about P90X...just my opinion, as I tried it and ended up selling it. It is TOTALLY different from CE, and I personally don't do well with something that different. However, I do own several of Tony's other workouts (Power Half Hour and Power 90) which I love due to the setting (lighted versus a dark gym room for P90X) and shorter (which I also like). But, I would suggest looking for clips on Youtube to get an idea of what it's like to see what you think...oh yea, be ready for LOTS of pushups and pull ups too!! I LOVE Tony, but for some reason P90X wasn't my deal!

I'll check back later...have a great Monday!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    Options
    Good Morning!!
    I'm so glad its Monday, and thats only because I can start my week off better today! Yesterday I definitely indulged and made some yummy appetizers for the big Super Bowl game. We had a few friends over. I wasn't very hungry for the majority of the game, probably because I was visiting with a friend. But, after our friends left I was starving and needless to say my choices weren't the greatest- especially since there was a bag of potato chips sitting on the counter. I woke up this morning feeling like crap. But, its a new week and even though i had a little set back yesterday...I am ready to get going this week and kick some butt! My butt to be exact. I'm excited for my workouts today so that I will feel a bit better.

Have a great Monday ladies!
  • fitzfour
    Options
    Hey, follow us to a new post, as we're getting close to getting this one locked out!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/80705-turbo-jam-turbo-kick-chalean-extreme-fans

See ya there!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    Options
    :happy: I miss you girls!!! How are you all doing? Even if you aren't doing Turbo Jam-- I'd love to catch up with you all!! Erika? Berta?