Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    @Liz -- I'm sure that getting the Christmas sweeties out of the way is the sensible thing to do! I have a whole table full of them.
    @Kaye, yup, masses of treats here too. Luckily I'm just not that hungry right now after several days of overeating.
    @Lin -- 50 pounds in 2013 sounds good!
    @Hyzaarc -- hope your drive is ok. Stay safe.
    @LMackbethi -- good luck wth your family holiday, and hope you get some skiing in. A farm in 2013! That does sound exciting. It turns out, you know, that it's perfectly possible to enjoy spending time with your loved ones, and have lovely food and drink, and not go massively over. Who knew? It's the difference between feeling well-fed and feeling a bit stuffed.
    @AngelikaLumie -- I'm glad you had a brilliant time.
    @Kelley -- Love that changemaking post!
    @Karen -- Hope you're feeling better soon. Do look after yourself and rest.
    @jumpy983 -- welcome! This is such a good thread.
    @Nicole -- "I'm still further up the mountain than I was in June." That's *such* a good quote for everyone who's slipped back a little. You can get your lovely bloke to give you smaller portions of his unhealthy food, and pack on a great big salad with it. One of the things that went really wrong for me with food was that I tended to eat the same amount as my six-foot husband and my teenagers. That's never, ever going to work.

And much support and best wishes for everyone who's refocusing after a plateau, or Christmas gains, or simply after not keeping it together in December. It's a *really* hard time of the year. I'm really helped by remembering that if I want something really high calorie and absolutely delicious, I can totally fit that in. Here are four different strategies for eating (or drinking) the wrong thing:

1) Have it, but only have a little bit of it; one bite is half as nice as the whole thing, and half a portion is 90% as nice as the whole thing.
    2) Have it, but plan the rest of the day so that it fits. Yes, I might be a bit hungry now, but there's a tripledecker cheeseburger with my name on it later.
    3) Have it, and also fit in a nice big chocolate-fudge-cake-shaped dollop of cardio somewhere in your day.
    4) Have it, and go over, but get back on track the very next day.

I've used all four of those strategies over the holidays, and I commend them all to you. And I think we've got a couple of people who've just got rid of a quick ten pound gain. It's completely doable. It's a sort of worry for me, because the last time I lost a lot of weight, I got derailed by a ten pound gain over a long weekend. I am definitely not going to let that happen again.

We had a lovely day celebrating my Mum's birthday; we did lots of walking in Kew Gardens (the weather was quite good in the end), and then when it shut at dusk (it's dark here by 4:30 at this time of year) we found our restaurant and sat drinking coffee and hot choc until it was time to order dinner. The food was delicious (I'm over again but not by much this time) and Mum had a really nice day. My parents have gone home now and the next three days are 'ordinary' before our friends come for New Year.

Friday Fitness. Well, here was last week's:

Saturday -- no, I don't have a spare minute all day. Indeed, nothing.
    Sunday -- some housework but no proper exercise. Lots of housework DONE
    Monday -- might manage a short run but probably won't. Lots of housework and cooking DONE
    Tuesday -- I'm intending to give my stomach and liver a serious workout. Yes, absolutely, but my 5 hours of cooking and 3 hours of cleaning gave me one of my biggest burns ever.
    Wednesday -- Yes! Dancing out with the Morris as is traditional on Boxing Day. DONE
    Thursday -- We are going to Kew Gardens, so lots of walking. DONE
    Friday -- Relatives leave, and I am going for a run. Probably only a short one. Doing this later.
    I'd like to squeeze a little strength in here too. DONE, though still not as much as I had planned. It was very busy.

This week:

Saturday -- 5k parkrun in the morning, badminton in the afternoon
    Sunday -- badminton
    Monday -- I'd like to do a long run in the morning, then partying.
    Tuesday -- probably a rest day cos will have hangover. Might do some dancemat.
    Wednesday -- speedwork and badminton
    Thursday -- badminton if I can book it, and maybe a longish run.
    Friday -- badminton if I can book it, and a long run if I don't do one Thursday.
    Plus three strength workouts.

And a little, late, Thursday truth. I really, really do not feel like starting running again. I haven't run for a couple of weeks, it's sort of showery here, I'm really tired after several very busy days, I haven't had a moment to myself since Christmas Eve. I have to go and find all my bits of kit which are scattered to the winds. I was so pleased when my husband set up to take my son running (using Zombies Run 5k!), not because I was pleased that my son is running again, but because it delayed my run for another hour or so. Even now, I don't know if I can get it together. But I am going to keep watching the 'No Excuses' video until I am actually out of the house and running; I am going to do this thing.

Have a brilliant weekend everyone!

-- Alison
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!!! I don't have access to a computer at home for a few weeks. So Happy New Year's now Everyone :happy:

Friday fitness....I will try and get to the gym at least 2 times a week in the New Year.

@Karen- Hope your flu goes away soon
    @Robin- Have a safe and fun trip
    @Lin- Enjoy all your winnings

Not sure if it is because Robin isn't here but the thread never turned over. I am not sure how to do it so maybe a long timer can help us out.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning MFPERS!

Today is my 21st anniversary yeah for us! Tomorrow is Amy’s birthday. Tuesday is new years and then my Holidays are over and I can get back to work.

We will have a great dinner tonight and probably go over. We will try to not go too far.

Hope everyone is having good times and all have a safe new year!

Tom
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Ran across this, this morning - C.O.M.M.I.T.M.E.N.T.:

C—Complete each task you begin.
    When you embark on a new Healthy Way of Life behavior, give some thought to it’s importance! Can you pledge to seeing your goal through to completion? If your not sure, perhaps you might want to reframe your goal into something you are confident you can achieve. Starting with small steps, you can certainly achieve big success!

O—Opportunities are meant to be seized.
    Don’t wait for a special date to get started…begin today! Look for simple ways you can improve your health: walk more, drink more water, find a new group fitness class to try! Looking for new opportunities to be healthy will help you find a new area of passion.

M—Momentum can be your friend.
    Sometimes the hardest part of creating a new habit is simply getting the ground under your feet. One simple act can give you the fuel you need to feel confident in your new behaviors. What can you do today to boost your confidence? Find a TEAM class to help get you going! TEAM Weight Loss, Fitness, Ultimate, & Bootcamp will help you discover new things about your body each week to keep you moving in the right direction. Contact your clubs Personal Training desk to learn more about the programs and services that can help you get going.

M—Motivate yourself. Motivate those around you.
    There is nothing better than having a bit of positive reinforcement to back your up your progress! Start each day with a motivating quote or a theme for your day. Doing so will set the tone for what you set out to accomplish at work, as well as during your workouts and meals. Need some feedback throughout your day? Try using an app on your phone like the “101 Ways application from Experience Life magazine (available on the App Store) or a device like a Fitbit to track your daily activity and motivate you with encouraging phrases and updates on your daily progress.

I—Improve a little every day.
    Little modifications lead to big change. Rather than tackling too much at once, start by taking small tasks and doing them 100% of the time. These small changes will help you see improvements throughout your life and will boost your desire to continue on your Healthy Way of Life path. Work with a Life Time Fitness Professional to create a plan of action to improve your daily health today!

T—Team up for accountability.
    Using a team approach is a great plan for success! Try one of the TEAM classes or join the Life Time Weight Management support group at your club. Know that you are not the only person trying to better your life! Don’t go on the journey alone…having someone to reach out to when you need support can be a true difference maker.

M—Mindfully approach your goals.
    Start each day by looking at your goals. Post your commitments in your bathroom, on your fridge, in your car, wherever you will see them each and every day. Never lose sight on why you are changing your life. When things get busy or you get distracted, its easy to lose sight of why you made your goals in the first place. Keep them on your mind by seeing them daily.

E— Engage your change.
    Use the tools that Life Time has for you to track and monitor your progress. Try using the MyPlan section of your www.mylt.com account. This will allow you to track your daily food intake and activity. You can even find a week’s work of sample meal and snack ideas. Read the Flourish nutrition newsletter each week for new tips and ideas to continue your personal growth.

N—Never expect perfection. Use the 80/20 rule for success!
    Asking yourself to be perfect every day is a great way to burn out or set yourself up to fail. It’s perfectly ok to be imperfect! Give yourself a bit of leeway with the 80/20 rule: 80% of the time you are on point, making healthy choices, 20% of the time you get a bit of freedom. Make sure use this rule as a way to keep yourself centered and focused, rather than an excuse to “cheat.” And avoid using exercise as reasoning to eat sweets or desserts. Use physical activity as a way to spur more healthy choices!

T—Teach yourself to enjoy your healthy habits!
    Getting fit and healthy should be fun! Look for ways to make it more fun for yourself and your family. Start incorporating family walks or hikes. Make regular trips to the grocery store a family event by planning healthy meals and by looking for new recipes to try together. Find new places to go and new experiences to have that keep you engaged in your new Healthy Way of Life.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Alison~Sounds like you had a fab time for your mum's birthday. Its really hard this time of year to find the motivation to get outside and run because of the weather, I'm doing most of mine on the treadmill. I know you'll get back out there!
    @Karen~Sorry about the stomach flu, hope you and the hubs are back to 100% soon!
    @Robin~Safe travels, enjoy your trip!
    @Tom~Happy Anniversary to you and Amy! Enjoy the celebration!

Friday Fitness~Had training session yesterday. The weather is kind of chilly and rainy today, so plan on going to the gym to run on treadmill after awhile. Haven't decided what else is planned for today yet.

Kelley
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,176 Member
    Options
    @Alison~Sounds like you had a fab time for your mum's birthday. Its really hard this time of year to find the motivation to get outside and run because of the weather, I'm doing most of mine on the treadmill. I know you'll get back out there!
    @Karen~Sorry about the stomach flu, hope you and the hubs are back to 100% soon!

Friday Fitness~Had training session yesterday. The weather is kind of chilly and rainy today, so plan on going to the gym to run on treadmill after awhile. Haven't decided what else is planned for today yet.

Kelley

^^^
    Agree with all the comments and Kelley thank you so much for all the excellent info you've been posting! We all need it for certain............

And Holly we don't roll this thread until we hit 500 posts.....it's not a monthly deal. Hope you get your computer at home again soon!

Wishing everyone well. Back to my BIG SALAD.

Lin

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

Kelley

^^^
    Agree with all the comments and Kelley thank you so much for all the excellent info you've been posting! We all need it for certain............

And Holly we don't roll this thread until we hit 500 posts.....it's not a monthly deal. Hope you get your computer at home again soon!

Wishing everyone well. Back to my BIG SALAD.

Lin

1482351y1dphi597b.gif

Thanks...I didn't realize that because it's been starting over every 12 pages for a long time.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. The family finally got their van back so they have headed for home. I sent them with a lot of the treats. :happy: We have had a great time, but I am really tired. :yawn:
    Exercise is a challenge right now. My knee doesn't like it when I can't go for a walk. The snow and cold weather has made it too slick to walk outside and the school track is closed this week. I went over to the rehab center yesterday and they let me ride the stationary bike for a little while. I've been getting in a lot of "cleaning" and cooking taking care of guests, but its not the same.
    Kelley, thanks for all the good advice. Allison, I like the strategies for dealing with treats. I am really ready to dive back into this commitment, even though I haven't done terribly, feel like it would be really easy to get derailed.
    Have a great day and enjoy the rest of your celebrations. Happy anniversary, Tom. Kaye
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hello all my MFP friends. Today is a beautiful new day. It sounds like everyone had a good holiday. I thoroughly enjoyed myself over the last couple of days with friends and family and didnt really worry to much about anything. I figure come Monday I will have a small gain but that is part of what makes this a lifestyle not a diet. In a diet a gain is a travesty in a lifestyle you just roll with it and get back on track. I jumped back on today with both feet. I have already worked out and am now sipping my green smoothie and planning out what I want to get done around the house. A large part of the day will be picking on my son since he only has a couple of days left at home and I miss getting to give him a hard time, lol. So just out of curiosity a quick question for those of you who have worked out longer then me. Would you classify floor exercises like sit ups push ups stretches so on and so forth as cardio or strength training? I am still trying to figure this all out. I did that for twenty min and reported it under calistenics light to moderate. I know for me it was more then moderate but I would rather under estimate then over.Anyway any feedback would be appreciated. Have a great day everyone.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Hubs and I are feeling a lot better today. It was definitely "stomach flu" (norovirus) which although nasty, is at least short-lived. Worst symptoms were over within 12 hours. We both spent most of yesterday sleeping and today we are still a little weak, but almost back to normal.

@kaye--glad you enjoyed your visit and your family got the car all fixed for the return trip. Could you try searching for some of those Leslie Sansone walking videos? I've never used them, but I know others on this thread had said they are available on youtube.

@holly--no worries about the thread--Robin asked that I watch for the rollover while she's away since I'm off work . :wink:

@kelley--thanks for the post!

@tom--Happy anniversary to you and Amy!! :flowerforyou:

@alison--loved you advice about how to fit in the treats--I've also used all 4 methods. I tend to make the most progress with weight loss when the method is to do the exercise; of course, that's sometimes the hardest option to choose. :ohwell:

@lmack--have fun skiing!! I haven't been since college, but used to really enjoy it.

@laurie--I need to follow your lead and cut down on the carbs.

@nicole--glad to hear from you! I'm glad things are working out with your new guy, but I agree with others that you need to guide him toward healthier choices. My hubby is the same way--an awesome cook, but he leans toward the unhealthy. He's learned that if he cooks dishes with lots of calories, I will only be able to have a little bit. He's learned to change some recipes (ground turkey vs. ground beef or brown rice vs. white) so they aren't quite so devastating to my day. As long as you assure your guy that's it's not a rejection of his cooking, but that the calorie counts don't fit your "allowance," he'll learn to adjust to your needs. At the very least, ask him to give you fair warning when he's going to make something with lots of calories, so you can adjust the rest of your day. That's what my hubby does. He'll say "I'm planning to make X on Thursday for dinner" so I know to plan a trip to the gym or eat a light breakfast and lunch (or both).

@susan--I also need to get back to basics!

Friday Fitness:
    Obviously I'm not in any shape to workout today. Hoping I will be back to 100% tomorrow. I did get a little bit of grading done, but still have loads left. :ohwell:

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner + gym DONE (did weights, speed work on treadmill, and stationary bike)
    Mon--walk gunner
    Tues--walk gunner
    Wed--walk gunner + gym (walked gunner then went shopping/grading with a friend)
    Thurs--walk gunner NOT DONE--SICK
    Fri--walk gunner + gym STILL NOT WELL ENOUGH FOR EXERCISE
    Sat--walk gunner + gym

Grading goals:
    1. x/22 diction analyses
    2. 19/22 Failure essays
    3. x/48 AP tests
    4. x/48 AP essays
    5. 59/59 Scarlet Letter annotations DONE
    6. x/30 Scarlet Letter Papers
    7. 28/28 Tone Test revisions DONE
  • AuntieVaVa
    Options
    Wow - I am SO ready to get back on board with MFP and the first thing I had to do (after recording my weight, ugh - gained back all but 3 pounds), was to find out if Robin's 100 lbs to lose thread was still going strong. And you are!

I commend you all for your stick-to-it-iveness. Happy and HEALTHY New Year to each of you!
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing I can do about my guys cooking is a little "all of the above"... Planning seems to be the common thread in everyone's advice. If I can get him to tell me ahead of time and plan some portion control... AND have a big salad with the meal- I should be okay. I think I am getting through to him some... Yesterday, I told him I want to cut out white flour. Instead of poo-pooing me, he asked why. When I explained why I don't feel that it is as easily digested as whole grains, he seemed accepting of my answer. I was about to give up on him! :laugh: silly me! Thanks y'all for the advice... and the warm welcome back :) I sure missed this thread and all of you!

I am glad you are feeling better Karen... The flu is no fun at all... I got my flu shot at the last minute, but didn't get the chance to hit the kid with it before he got sick... through Christmas :( poor guy... now my (other) guy is recovering from it. I guess it is super bad this year.

Tom! Happy Anniversary to you and the Missus!

Alison - My favorite of your four, that seems to fit my current situation... "2) Have it, but plan the rest of the day so that it fits. Yes, I might be a bit hungry now, but there's a tripledecker cheeseburger with my name on it later."

Fitness.... Hmmm not a whole lot of that going on right now. I did go for a walk on Wednesday, but spent yesterday recovering from it. Today, I will walk, but perhaps go a little slower. I need to find my rhythm again.

Hope everyone is ready to have a wonderful weekend! :drinker:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @auntievava--Welcome back!! You're still 3 lbs ahead of where you were when you 1st started! :flowerforyou:

@nicole--thanks, I'm really thankful I didn't have the "true" flu which typically lasts 4-5 days. Unfortunately, there is no vaccine against norovirus aka stomach flu or winter vomiting bug in the UK (I learned this tidbit on the internet today)--on the bright side, it usually only lasts a day or 2. However, the virus itself can live for a week on hard surfaces, so wash your hands people! Glad your guy is willing to listen, and you're right, it's really all about the planning. :smile:
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    auntVaVa-Welcome Back.

jconstant- Sit ups and push up can be considered both depending on how fast you do them. Both are really great for core strengthening. For me they both require a lot of effort and while my heart rate does not go as high as other cardio exercises it still does burn calories and tones the abs and arm muscles. Hope this helps.

Karen- Glad you are feeling better. Give yourself an extra day to get back on track. It took me a couple of days to recover from the stomach virus.

This thread will turn over at the end of page 20 or 500 posts.

Lesson learned tonight- Do NOT workout with trainer in the morning then go rock climbing that night. Today, I worked out twice: once early this morning with my trainer for a great arm workout plus retest. Then tonight I went rock climbing. Needless to say my arms are done and I am tired. Tomorrow, I will count the bruises and see if I can walk. Needless to say I made it to the top of the wall that has been challenging me (ceiling- don't like) by taking a leap of faith. That is bruise and scraps plus sore arms. Then on the last climb of the night my knee smacked into one the holds that reminds me of a duck's bill- it sticks out- needless to say it hurt and yes it will leave a bruise. The retest went well and I improved in the number of push-ups I could do in one minute and some were even deeper than last time. Situps were about the same or maybe one more. My lap time was a bit slower but this time the pace was even so I am okay with it.

Have a great weekend.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    exercise Goals from this past week

Plan for this week
    Saturday- gym- walk, bike DONE
    Sunday- trainer workout DONE
    Monday-workout- walk DONE
    Tuesday- Rest or walk around the neighborhood depending on weather WALK DONE
    Wednesday gym-rock wall REST
    Thursday-gym/ rock wall DONE
    Friday- rock wall??? DONE

Exercise Plan for 12/29 to Jan. 4
    Saturday- Walk or light workout (weather dependent)
    Sunday- Gym- intense workout
    Monday- gym
    Tuesday- REST
    Wednesday- Trainer workout
    Thursday- Walk or rest
    Friday- Rock climbing
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Yay its Friday!! I love the holidays lot of it being able to hangouts with friends.. This weekend the same For New Year Eve we normally go to friends. Next day same. I love it but looking forward to getting back to normal. Most of the stuff right now all of it the food is like lots of sugary sweet stuff with carb heavy caloric high stuff. But once I get past this stuff yes we still go out with friends food will be a part but its not the same. So far I have managed to stay under but must admit it can be
    n still be overwhelming.

@Karen its God yo hear that you are feeling better.
    @Laurie70 -- I think that is a good lesson to learn. :-)
    @Tom - Happy Anniversary!
    @AuntVaVa welcome back
    @Kaye glad to hear that your family got their van fixed
    @Susan I too need to get back to the basics.

Wishing everyone a good evening

Liz
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    @Alision, -yes I have got rid of most of it but some of it is in the freezer. But most of the
    places I spend anytime like work, friend houses etc lots of sweets and stuff. It is overwhelming.

@Kaye it is slippery outside for sure right. Now the worst areas is the roads right outside my door. Do you have a rec center or something like that in your area? That may have an indoor track?

@Kelly I have been working backwards on the posts and just read yours. Really like the stuff you been writing very helpful.

Liz
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @tammy--I use the following website to figure out calories burned for sit ups and push ups:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

@laurie--Yeah, I don't plan anything strenuous for tomorrow. Will take Gunner for a walk and save the gym for Sunday. Sorry about your bumps and bruises--hope you're not too sore tomorrow.

@liz--glad you are enjoying visiting with friends--I also enjoy the extra time to visit with people over Winter Break.

The upside of being sick is that it forced me to take it easy and focus on grading. Still have a lot to do, but at least I made a dent.

Grading goals:
    1. x/22 diction analyses
    2. 19/22 Failure essays
    3. 20/48 AP tests
    4. x/48 AP essays
    5. 59/59 Scarlet Letter annotations DONE
    6. x/30 Scarlet Letter Papers
    7. 28/28 Tone Test revisions DONE
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    @Tom -- Happy anniversary!
    @Kelley -- I love these articles you're posting. They make it easy to think and reflect about our journey.
    @Kaye -- Glad you got to ride the fixed bike. We don't have a lot of snow and ice here; I guess I'll just have rest days when we do.
    @Tammy -- I score push-ups as strength training and don't score calories for them, but they definitely burn some calories.
    @AuntieVaVa -- welcome back! And don't think about 'gaining it back', reflect on the fact that you're still doing better than when you started.
    @Karen -- Norovirus is horrid indeed, hope you're feeling better now.
    @Holly -- Happy new year! I think the thread rolls after 20 pages (500 posts), not 12.

Saturday Success -- well, a nice big one for me today; not only did I get out and do a little warmup run yesterday, but I went and ran the parkrun this morning -- and beat my 5k PB! 44:20. It was rather windy too, so hopefully I should be able to beat that again if we have nicer weather. I played badminton this afternoon too, but I'm really tired now. At least I feel like a runner again. No treadmill for me here, so if I want to run, it's going to be outside.

Hope you're all having successes too!

-- Alison
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @alison--excellent time on your park run! And yes, the wind definitely adds some time--as do hills; I hate hills, even little ones! :tongue:

Saturday Success:
    None yet, but I'm certainly well enough to take gunner for a nice walk today, so at least I'll get some exercise. Also have some returns to do. It seems no matter how directly I tell my MIL that I look retched in winter white, she insists on buying me a winter white sweater every Christmas! They are always lovely sweaters, but the color makes me look a terrible sickly green color.