Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Skinny- I don't run (yet?) but did a lot of research on the minimalist shoes with my son. He is a runner and wanted to try them, but the guy at the running store and a lot of articles said that if you need support, the minimalist shoe is not for you.
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi all!! Happy Sunday!!!

@jumpy- I'm totally going to order the new fitbit coming out bc I'd love to know if im burning what MFP tells me. It's 99.95 and really cool looking.

Sunday share- ill keep it brief bc I'm soooo tired.

I'm rachael, 29, single momma bear to 2 wild n crazy 9 year old twins (boy/girl), from southern NJ. I am tired of being the fat girl and decided to do something about it. My kids are VERY supportive of me, making sure I eat what's healthy. Besides my weight I'm healthy as a horse. I hit my all time high at 302.4 lbs at 5 foot 5/6. 2 weeks in and I'm down 9.4 lbs. it's hard, I still crave certain things but I'm hoping it gets better. I have to be a good example for my kids.

I work full time as a social worker. I work in a partial care, which is a program for adults who are coping with mental health symptoms and/or addiction. I've been there 5 years. I'm currently looking for a new job, but no success yet. Hopefully soon. I have a cat and dog- both rescues. Biscuit is my dog and mossimo is my cat. I live in my own home within a quiet neighborhood.

Now that I've started this journey, I often wonder how long will I take to lose it..how will I look, will the extra skin become tight again..idk, guess time will tell.

Have a great night to all! I envy those of you that don't have work tomorrow. :-)
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    BohoCoast - I started over on the walk from Hobbiton to Rivendell - so I'm at the 3 mile marker "Cross the water on a plank bridge" , I sure enjoy reading along this journey as I did many years ago!

MowMow - hope you feel better and thanks for the seratonin article - good reading!

skinny - of course the boys are all over my yard! Way to go figuring out that reduced-stride maneuver! And thanks for the tip on moving meals on the Food Page - I had no idea but I'll be doing that from now on!

Kah - I have kitty envy - if I wasn't so allergic, - and if the condo rules didn't Rule No Animals, I'd have another kitty. I had 2 of them for a long, long time. But my asthma was severe, severe, severe, with 4 bouts of bronchitis a year. That's with using an air purifier. Haven't had one bout of bronchitis since the eldest passed on and I adopted out the young' un. They are so loving and I treasured every moment I had with them. Thanks for sharing your stories about your new baby with us! :flowerforyou:

rachael - re does the skin get tight, I hear from our graduates that it might not get tight immediately but often gets tight if you keep exercising within another year ..
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @robin--Yeah, I use that function all the time. If I have eggs for dinner, I know they are at the top of my "most used" for breakfast, so it's easier to just log them there and then move them on today's page. Yeah, it was kelley's trainer who recommended the shorter stride. When she mentioned it after her 5k, I thought "Oh, I'll have to try that" and then the idea fell out of my brain. Then this morning when I was posting here about running, I remembered and resolved to try it for my long run. It was sooooo much easier!

@rachael--as robin said the skin may tighten up. I think it depends on so many factors: your age and elasticity of your skin, how much you have to lose, how slowly you lose it (too fast and the skin doesn't have time to adjust), how much you exercise and build muscle to take up the extra "space" left by the disappearing fat, how hydrated you keep your body both inside (drink that water!) and outside (use a good lotion). At 57 lbs lost I don't really have a lot of saggy skin. A bit on my upper arms and around my belly. However, those are also the 2 areas where I still have quite a ways to go, so I'm hopeful it will look better when I lose the remaining fat in those areas of my body.

@nicole & kelley--thanks for the feedback and article. I think I will stick with my very, very supportive runners. Considering my podiatrist told me I shouldn't even walk barefoot around my house (advice I fail to follow :blushing: ), I probably shouldn't try to switch to the minimalist shoes.

@kristen--I love that you work with animals! If I were independently wealthy, I would open my own shelter and training facility for dogs. I just love them so much, and it breaks my heart to know how many need homes. We adopted Gunner when he was a year and a half old. He had been with a family for his 1st year and they gave him up b/c he was "too rough" with their children. Well, he was a jumpy boxer pup--of course, he was rough! Unfortunately, that description forced the shelter to label him "not suitable for households with children" which is a shame b/c he absolutely loves kids, and now that he's outgrown his puppyishness, he's super gentle with them. All of the neighborhood kids love him, and even when we 1st got him, he never jumped on the little kids--it's kind of like he knows they are too small. Anyway, although I'm sure it's not a glamorous line of work, I envy your jobs!

Just watched the movie Looper--it was pretty good. Going to bed so good night all!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit over today. I had a shot (couple) of Drambuie. I don't drink often, but with the flu going around, I thought it was important to disinfect my innards. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :wink:
    Who is Helenatrandom? She is a substitute teacher with a great husband and a sense of humor that frightened her pastor when he was new! (Seriously, I told him that I was testing him on names the next Sunday, and he panicked a bit....)

@skinnyjeans Could you invite them OUT to a neighborhood place for drinks? They may like knowing "what's good around here...."
  • TenaciousKelly
    TenaciousKelly Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've lost 190lbs. My goal will be 210 if I can do that anyone can. Read my profile.
  • kinnurse0754
    kinnurse0754 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Happy late Sunday, early Monday, as its almost 2 in the morning and I'm as usual at work. I haven't posted since Friday as I've been working. For those of you who have missed my previous Sunday shares, I am an RN working permanent nights on a really busy, very heavy surgical floor in a hospital just outside of Toronto, Ontario.
    I too am single, 58 and living alone except for my cat. She is getting on in years and is living out her remaining years with me as she was my mom's cat and I inherited her when mom passed almost 4 years ago. No one else in the family would take her as she's a pretty miserable cat. She has grown on me and gotten used to me (most of the time) or at least she tolerates me. Everyone else she hisses at and unfortunately still has all of her claws and has left her mark on a few unfortunate family members who gave her the benefit of the doubt. I've always been an animal lover but she will be my last pet. With my hours of work and the amount of traveling I do to visit my grandkids, its just not fair to an animal so once Minew (my mom was french) has gone on to greener pastures, that will be it for me.
    I started back on MFP on January 1st after an absence of about 7 months and I'm really struggling to get back into the swing of things. I was pretty discouraged about gaining so much weight back and although I'm trying to stick to my food program, I'm really having a tough time getting into an exercise routine this time around. I have numerous joint problems (have had both knees replaced) and long standing back problems so am limited to some activities. I love to walk but can't stand the cold and am so afraid of falling on the ice that I just dont' go out walking in the winter. I have a lot of pain in my low back when I walk on concrete floors so mall walking is out of the question. I was really active with my Wii but have not been able to get back into it since having abdominal surgery last year. I'm hoping to get started again on it as that was a lot of fun and great exercise.
    Well, thats it for me. Will try to come back tomorrow but will not do my weigh in until Tuesday morning d/t working tonight.
    Really good to read all the Sunday shares. It is my favorite day to catch up on everyone. Drink your water everyone and stay strong. We'll be flipping over soon as we're on page 20 so see you all on the flip side. Charlotte
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder, Charlotte! Time to post this:

FOR NEWBIES ....................................PLEASE NOTE................................................................

- PLEASE NOTE - soon, we will soon come to the end of this current thread - every 20 pages, or 500 posts - we start a new Thread - you will see at the bottom IN the last post on page 20 a sentence like this :

(<Continued at this topic >) and the words “this topic” will be in blue.

Click on that phrase and it will take you to the first post on our new page One.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday-

Monday check in....It was freezing here this weekend so needless to say I didn't venture out to the gym or anywhere else. I climbed the stairs in my house alot but other than that nothing much was done. Today it is -7 outside which makes it hard to get out of bed and go to work. I made it though.

I am still without internet at home so hopefully will get caught up on posts later today.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

Monday Check-In~Had a good weekend, the weather was gorgeous. It’s a bit cooler today, but the forecast says mid-60s on Wednesday and get this - 70s on Thursday! My kind of winter. LOL I started spending some time in the sauna at the gym after my workouts, I have to say I really enjoy that recovery time – as hot as it is! :bigsmile:

Last week’s exercise:

Monday~Cross Trainer DONE!
    Tuesday~Recovery Day
    Wednesday~Training Session DONE!
    Thursday~Recovery Day
    Friday~None, opted to go shopping instead.
    Saturday~Run DONE!
    Sunday~Training Session DONE!

This week:

Monday~Elliptical/Sauna
    Tuesday~Recovery Day
    Wednesday~Training Session/Sauna
    Thursday~Recovery Day
    Friday~Zumba or Walk/Weights
    Saturday~Run
    Sunday~Training Session/Sauna

@Robin~I have allergies/asthma too, my previous internist told me years ago I should consider not having pets – but I feel like not having them is worse than having them. Zoe is definitely different from my previous cats, Cocoa was a lap cat but Pebbles wasn’t – this one seems to be completely happy just sitting on my shoulder, where she spent most of yesterday. I am having her declawed though – next week. I bought her some more toys off Amazon yesterday (one of which Kris recommended) and am looking for the perfect cat tree for her – she is a climber and the sooner she realizes I’m not a tree the better! :laugh:

@Karen~Its probably wise to stick with regular running sneakers, I probably need to do the same as well. I tore my Achilles tendon several years ago and it can give me grief from time to time.

Speaking of sneakers/running gear – there is a website www.roadrunnersports.com. They sell every major brand of sneaker in all sizes plus socks, HRM, and other gear. You can belong to their VIP program for $1.99 a year and it gets you 10% off their inventory plus free shipping, etc. My trainer told me about this site and I’ve been using them since I always get the same Brooks running shoes – I’ve tried their drymax socks and they’re great too. It can save you some $$$.

Have a great day and those that are off today - enjoy!

Kelley
  • butterflywolf
    Options
    Monday check in: I did it! I drank 7 glasses of water yesterday - thanks for everyone who shared how they managed to drink enough water. Today I had 16 oz that I set out last night to drink before I got out of bed. Only 6 more glasses to go.

I too have a great affection for dogs. My family rescued a golden retriever when she was 1 1/2 years old. She came with a lot of issues that we worked on quickly but now at almost 8 she is such a loving and healing dog. She does, however, think that toy poodles take up too much room and should be served for lunch (not really-but this is why she was given up in the first place. It must have been a pretty traumatic experience when she was a puppy). My husband, though he likes her, wishes we did not have her as she takes my time away from him. More on him over time.

@tklynn - i read your profile and was greatly impressed by your drive and saddened by your husbands attitude (he is missing out on a wonderful loving person). You can do it, you have done it and that makes you amazing.

@Karen et al - Roadrunnersports.com has been around for a long long time, very trusted. Zappos often has great products too. I like to buy from them (even though they are a little more expensive) because I buy several brands in several sizes to get just the right fit and return the rest. My new favorite sneaker for my current wight is the Brooks Ariel. It is probably considered a cross trainer but it has more support and cushioning than any other sneaker I have worn. BTW they have a mens version too.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Monday Check in: I actually feel hopeful for the first time in a long time that this will work. I think I may have found something to help me stick to counting calories. I've upped my calorie limit. 1200 was too low for me and I couldn't stick to it. One day down....a lot more to go, but I'm feeling happy and determined.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Very late Sunday check-in. My name is Jennifer, I'm 44 yrs old, single mom to 1 child with special needs. Been single since before ds was born and have remained single for almost 15 years (he will be 15 in March). My relationship with his "father" was bad, bad, bad and I believe, in part, I have kept this weight around as a protection of sorts. I attract bad men - liars, cheaters etc. so I don't want anyone to be attracted to me. How do you do that? Get fat and stay fat. Now I've decided just because I get thinner, doesn't mean I have to date anyone. It means I'll be a healthier me, around for my ds who will need me long into his adult years. I live in Ontario, Canada and it's frigid out there today. I have high blood pressure and last time i had bloodwork done, I was on the cusp of diabetes. I'm thankful I have a treadmill and don't have to walk or run outside.

Monday check in - went to see Monster Jam on the weekend. It was great - I love the sound of a revving engine......... Not sure what that says about me, LOL. We spent the night and most of yesterday at my cousin's. That made it difficult for food choices, since I wasn't in control, but thankfully, my cousin is pretty health conscious, so it wasn't bad. I went over my personal sodium number (15oo mg - because of the high BP), but it could have been much worse. But I don't feel I went "off track" - we have to live our lives and sometimes that means we don't control everything!
  • kah68
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

FOR NEWBIES ....................................PLEASE NOTE................................................................

- PLEASE NOTE - soon, we will soon come to the end of this current thread - every 20 pages, or 500 posts - we start a new Thread - you will see at the bottom IN the last post on page 20 a sentence like this :

Click on that phrase and it will take you to the first post on our new page One.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have a question - does anyone else's legs ache/pain them at night while (trying) to sleep? Since I started exercising - especially running, I think, my legs ache when I'm asleep. Enough that it wakes me. It's not a muscle pain like anything has been pulled or injured, it's a general ache in both legs. I did my walk/run later last night and took a muscle pain reliever, thinking maybe that might help, but it didn't. I think I'll rest them tonight - no walk and wasn't going to run 2 days in a row anyway. Maybe do some yoga or something instead. I do stretch after every run. I'm just curious if this happens to anyone else. I'm hoping as I get lighter, it will ease up.
  • kah68
    Options
    @Karen et al - Roadrunnersports.com has been around for a long long time, very trusted. Zappos often has great products too. I like to buy from them (even though they are a little more expensive) because I buy several brands in several sizes to get just the right fit and return the rest. My new favorite sneaker for my current wight is the Brooks Ariel. It is probably considered a cross trainer but it has more support and cushioning than any other sneaker I have worn. BTW they have a mens version too.

I've bought a lot of stuff through Zappos, they have great customer service! I've found Road Runner Sports to be the same way. I used to wear Brooks Ghost but have been wearing Brooks Glycerin since last summer - I love, love, love them!!! Its like running with pillows on my feet. :laugh:
  • kah68
    Options
    I have a question - does anyone else's legs ache/pain them at night while (trying) to sleep? Since I started exercising - especially running, I think, my legs ache when I'm asleep. Enough that it wakes me. It's not a muscle pain like anything has been pulled or injured, it's a general ache in both legs. I did my walk/run later last night and took a muscle pain reliever, thinking maybe that might help, but it didn't. I think I'll rest them tonight - no walk and wasn't going to run 2 days in a row anyway. Maybe do some yoga or something instead. I do stretch after every run. I'm just curious if this happens to anyone else. I'm hoping as I get lighter, it will ease up.

You could be getting some muscle fatigue in your legs or even some spasms - do you know your potassium levels? You might try eating foods with extra potassium to see if that helps. Also, you could be developing a condition called "restless leg syndrome," I don't think its directly correlated with exercise though.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options

• RobinsEgg
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    GOALS and IDEAS for daily posts (Not mandatory)

Monday - Check In (how are you doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)

Tuesday - Goals (do you have any Goals you want to update us?)

Wednesday - Wishes (what do you wish? It can be weight related or not, can be realistic or not)

Thursday - Truth (got anything you need to fess up to or get off your chest?)

Friday - Fitness (what are you doing to get fit? How are you preparing for weekend eating?

Saturday - Success (what have you accomplished; focus on the positive of the week, NSV=non scale victories)

Sunday - Sharing (tell us a little about yourself....update your personal life)

JANUARY CHALLENGE:

1. SWEAT DAILY

2. WAIT FOR YOUR HUNGER TO TELL YOU TO EAT or another goal your comfortable with.