Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    I'm going back a couple pages to catch up with people - so sorry to be late about some of this!
    - @ Naceto - The Big Climb Seattle 2015 sounds spectacular and ruff! You challenge yourself and impress me to the n-th degree. I believe that 5 months is plenty of time to train for that. I don't think your asthma will stop. eh - the hip - only time will tell... and you may be able to compensate.
    - @jtconst - sorry and more for you and your DH for your loss of your SIL. Family losses, even when not close, still matter. And your dear daughter, what a shock to have gone through. So glad to hear she is doing so well. Children are amazing in their ability to bounce back quickly! Hugs! Enjoy, as you say, normal and boring is GOOD.
    - @Kah - Kelly - cool that your chiro gives massage as well as other treatment and your insurance is covering. My VNA is now providing a physical therapist because my back is so bad and they've been here twice and each time they've ended with a 5-7 minute massage of just the low back and worked on a hard knot on the left which appears to be a part of the problem - OH IT FEELS SO GOOD - that professional touch is great!
    - @FeraFilia - oo Happy Birthday and Happy 50 Lbs Lost! >:)<3:)<3 How proud you must feel in setting and achieving this important goal and milestone! Kudos!
    - @ChulisG - I must admit I love bread too. I haven't had Mexican sweet bread and now I am craving a bite of it just from the sound of its name. I place of loaves of bread I substitute hamburger buns as they're more substantial ! I do try to eat 1/2 bun for a meal but I often just write down my calories ahead of time so I can have a whole bun and reduce the amount of something else so I can eat what I want to. Also, I've learned to eat one bite at a time, very slowly - chewing slowly, setting my fork or spoon down, and really savoring the bite in my mouth. Now it takes me 1/2 hour to finish quite a small meal. But it is so much more enjoyable that way too.
    - @LaurieK -I was able to click on the image tag and it brought up your ID pix in another window - wow those do show your progress quite well - its amazing how far you've progressed - mercy, mercy! Way to go, and now we will cheer on the LYNX!
    - @GWhammy - I agree this is a mess ! Does not look like it will clear up soon but there are plenty of tips posted now that will help you along - just read back a couple of pages or more for the tips on how to navigate also MFP is going to fix the bugs and change a few things many have complained about.
    - Hope Baltimore was fun - and your Aunt's 90th Birthday was a grand event! Did you and Laurie meet up?
    - Ok, I'm caught up thru page 585 (shaking head in disbelief at that page # still) and wishing you in this hemisphere a good nights sleep. Hmmm.....science teachers did I get that right?
    -
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Another day of being over calories yesterday. My husband's birthday was on Friday, so his parents came over for dinner last night and brought pie. I had already made a cake, too. At least I topped my cake with cool whip...lighter than if I had made my usual buttercream frosting. Two desserts didn't even put me over by THAT much....but, then I finished off my night with more chips...I've been on a fortnight's-long salty snack 'binge'....crunchy stuff is my unhealthy coping mechanism for stress.

So, this week, I will not eat any chips. Note: I am not giving them up for life, but I need to step away from them for a while!

Sunday Share: I am 34, married for 8 years (anniversary was on the 7th!) with two children, DD age 7 and DS age 5. Trying my darnedest to balance my career (never thought of my working as a 'career' until the past year as I've been invited to enter a leadership track), my active church life, my family (read: many many many loads of laundry and dishes-without a dishwasher! LOL), aaaaand my desire to get fit and lose weight!
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    October logging and counting -- 9/12 so far, though yesterday was a bit touch and go because I think the Misfit shine overestimates my calories rather. Yesterday's green smoothie was pineapple, coconut milk, peach and lettuce (so rather yellow) -- very mild in green smoothie terms and much loved by my family. Today's, also designed to share, is kiwi, plum, lettuce, spinach, cucumber, coconut milk and ginger -- and there should be a photo attached if I remember.

@skinnyjeanzbound -- Karen, you are doing so well at keeping your protein up!
    @Teresa_3236 -- Teresa, I'm already getting worried about the prospect of my daughter going away to university; I can't imagine how I'd feel not seeing her for four years. I hope you have a wonderful time.
    @Lauriek70 -- Laurie, those goats sound adorable.
    @soosun -- I think it's really good to hang out with people who make good food and exercise choices.

Sunday share -- so, my kids are my daughter, 17, has just applied for universities and is currently cramming for an entrance exam in early November -- she wants to read maths and philosophy. My son, 14, is a bone-idle Minecraft addict but I am led to believe that that is normal. They like green smoothies as long as the vegetable portion isn't too high, and prefer them with the hidden calories from yoghurt or coconut milk that I tend to leave out if it's just me.

Hope you're having a lovely Sunday with your loved ones!

-- Alison

14568673.png
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @amanda--yes, finding that balance is so tough. After 3 1/2 years here on MFP, it's still my biggest struggle.

@robin--I'm glad the PT includes a massage for you. I'm currently waiting on a resonse from my insurance company about how to seek chiropractic care. I assume I have to go through my PCP (I'm in an HMO), but I can't find a list of network chiropractors on the BCBS website. I don't want to go to the PCP with no idea of my choices and just get randomly referrred to someone.

@soosun--glad you had a good week with your friend. Good luck with the drop in calories.

@kaye--daffodils are my favorite flowers. I'm in the same boat as you--I need to make better choices. :o

@laurie-hope the weather clears for your bike ride and that you hear from ren-guy one way or the other. I also need to grade papers this weekend. :\ At least we have Monday off for Coumbus Day.

@teresa--sounds like a fun trip to Florida to visit with family-hope everyone "behaves." o:)

@chulis--is Mexican sweet bread the rolls with the sugar on top in different colors and designs? My grandmother always used to have those at her house when we were kids, and they were delicious! I don't remember what she and the other adults called them (must have been the name in Spanish), but my siblings and cousins and I called it "turtle bread" b/c we thought the sugar designs made the rolls look like turtle shells. :p

Playing catch up with posts.

Friday Fitness:
    Not as much as I would like.

Saturday Success:
    I don't really have a fitness related success. My shoulder injury is now affecting my lower neck and the pain tells me something is out of whack. I think I need to see a chiro for an adjustment, but am waiting on insurance to find out what's covered and such. Anyway, I've been trying to rest it, so limited weights and really not enough cardio either.

I guess one success is that work has been relatively low-stress b/c I'm keeping up with grading and planning, so that's something.

Sunday Share:
    My share is that I feel like I'm backsliding right now. Weight has crept into the upper 180s and I even saw a number starting with a 1 and a 9 this morning. Not happy about that. I refuse to let an injury take me out, so I'm going to focus on increasing the cardio and lower my calorie goal from 1780 to 1680. I know that just last month I said I couldn't see making a lower calorie allowance work, but it looks like I'm going to have to try.

Another challenge I have looming is that our union president asked me to be on the bargaining team for our new teaching contract. I agreed to do it b/c my friend, who's bargained the last 2 contracts, really needs a break. However, I'm not looking forward to the amount of time it will eat up. Lots of meetings between now and whenever we come to an agreement with the board. We are hoping to be done by March, but who knows?

Grading Goals:
    1. 3/14 AP analysis activities
    2. 67/67 AP journals DONE
    3. x/67 AP essays

Exercise Goals:
    Sat--rest day
    Sun--walk gunner + gym
    Mon-- walk gunner
    Tues--walk gunner (maybe--late meeting)
    Wed--walk gunner+ gym
    Thurs--walk gunner
    Fri--rest day

October Challenge:
    Days under calories = 8/11
    Days >100g of protein = 6/11

• skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    I wanted to add that, although I'm not thrilled with all of the changes to the threads, I really like that it brings you back to the point where you left off.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    October Challenge;
    Count your calories; 7/10

Sunday Sharing ... Since I'm still a newbie on here I thought I'd tell a little about myself. As you may know, I call myself Niki on MFP ... but my real name is Nina, prounced with a short i. My family immigrated to the US when I was 5 years old and I became a naturalized citizen when I turned 18. That was really an experience. Since I'm from Western New York, I had to go to the border patrol station at the Peach Bridge between the US and Canad to get finger printed when I applied for citizenship ... even though that's not where I emigrated from. That was for part of my background check that was done in those days when you wanted to naturalize. I had to have a citizenship photo and went to a photography studio for one ...it's one of my favorite shots of myself but can only be used on that one document, forever. Well, all that was going on 52 years ago, but I still remember it as if it were yesterday. The proudest moments of my life were when I passed the naturalization exam and then went to the courthouse toswear my oath of allegiance to this great nation we have here. To this day I put my right hand over my heart when the anthem plays, and sing along.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy NATIONAL FREETHOUGHT DAY
    October 12 annually celebrates National Freethought Day.
    This day occurs on the anniversary of the effective end of the Salem Witch trials on October 12, 1692. On this day, Massachusetts Governor William Phips wrote a letter condemning the use of spectral evidence against the accused.
    At some point, the trials did resume and “spectral evidence” was allowed but largely discounted and those convicted were swiftly pardoned by Phips.
    The purpose of National Freethought Day is to encourage people to be free thinkers and to base opinions on facts, science, logic and reason.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought_Day

“The key to change… is to let go of fear.” ~Rosanne Cash

Tom
    11857432.png
  • NK1112
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Morgori wrote: »
    Good morning everyone.

“The key to change… is to let go of fear.” ~Rosanne Cash

Tom

this thought, thanks Tom
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hello, all! Hope things are going well! The change to the forums/threads has really thrown me off.

Sunday Share: Dedicating October to pulling my head out of my posterior and getting back on track. Seasonal Affective Disorder sucks! It's not as bad as when I was living in Montana, but I'm still getting some of it here in Texas.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @mzfrizz--welcome back!!

@tom--love this day! I try to teach my students to be free thinkers. It's so hard when the administration is constantly making us adhere to rubrics for grading--leaves little room for creative thinking on the students' part. My boss even asked why I didn't have a rubric for class discussions-really? I told her if she could come up with one that didn't inhibit discussion/exchange of ideas, I would try it. She has yet to come up with one.

@niki--loved learning more about you--where is your family originally from? I also always put my hand over my heart and sing along. The national anthem is "the people's song" and we should always sing loudly.

AFM--had a great workout today. Walked gunner about 2 miles then wnet to the gym. Today was the Chicago Marathon and I have a few friends who ran. I figured if they can run 26.2, I could at least crank out a 5k. I did so on the treadmill in just under 34 minutes which is about my best time, so I know I was pushing myself. I then did 10 minutes on the arc trainer before my legs cried "enough!" :p No weights today as I'm trying to rest my shoulder.

This evening I did some grading, but have yet to tackle the AP essays. Hope to get through a few tomorrow while I'm at the salon getting my hair done. Tonight The Walking Dead returns and I'm so so so excited!!! <3

Grading Goals:
    1. 14/14 AP analysis activities DONE
    2. 60/60 discussion questions DONE
    3. x/67 AP essays

Exercise Goals:
    Sat--rest day
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner
    Tues--walk gunner (maybe--late meeting)
    Wed--walk gunner+ gym
    Thurs--walk gunner
    Fri--rest day

October Challenge:
    Days under calories = 8/11
    Days >100g of protein = 6/11
  • chulisGonzalez
    chulisGonzalez Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    @skinnyjeanz...Yes! We call them 'conchas' which means shells lol. It's hard to resist when it's in the house, esp with coffee.

Today was a good day for a Sunday. Went out with the family to do some errands, came home to clean and 'cook' and just spent the rest of the night being lazy. Fortunately I didn't go over calories by much which is a first. I believe this is the first time in months I've actually logged what I ate during the weekend! Will definitely keep it up.

Exercise Goals:
    Monday-Friday:
    Walk 3 miles under an hour each day

My little one at the park <3
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Monday check-in -- well you guys know I've been stable for a couple of weeks; so this week I'm 3 pounds down which actually feels like 1lb/week for the last three weeks. So if you're staying the same while religiously sticking to plan, eating good food, and getting your exercise, you just need to have faith.

October logging and counting -- 10/13 so far; a nice easy day at home yesterday. Green smoothies have sort of got out of control, in that I was up at 7 this morning making today's smoothie so that everyone could have it for breakfast before going off in all their different directions! Beetroot and berry 2; cooked beetroot, frozen forest fruits (these come in a bag from the supermarket), orange juice (to sweeten), coconut milk (for mouthfeel), iceberg lettuce and plenty of water because the basic texture of this one is solid!

@skinnyjeanzbound -- Karen, I hadn't noticed that the forum brings you back to where you left off! That's a really good feature. Having backslid spectacularly earlier this year I really want to support everyone who's struggling with keeping on track now. I don't know the best way to do that because I know that you know *everything* about finding ways to keep on plan. I guess recommitting every day is definitely part of it. But I know you're already doing great on exercise and healthy eating.
    @NK1112 -- Niki/Nina, what a great story! I love stories of people who make a positive choice about their citizenship and their country.
    @mzfrizz15 -- SAD is a big issue in the UK because we are so far north. We never complain in June when it's light till 11pm though! But at this time of year it's getting to be dark when everyone has to get up and go out in the morning -- and once the clocks go back it's a bit lighter in the morning but then dark when everyone's getting home. I try to make sure to get a walk out in the middle of the day.
    @chulisGonzalez -- love the photos of your little boy! Logging at the weekends is definitely important -- because it's amazing how much you eat if you don't!

I hope you have an interesting week planned. It's Monday, chaps!

-- Alison

14568673.png

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, sorry I bailed out of the weekend, I still managed to log my food though. Had a bit of a drama. I'm currently trying to knit my mum a lacy shawl in time for Christmas and Saturday I ended up pulling out about 40 rows because a) I messed it up and b) I dropped a stitch trying to correct it, so I had a bit of a stress out. :blush: And then I spent Sunday trying to get back to where I was. So no exercise at all this weekend apart from food shopping.

@kah68 - thank you so much for your advice! This weekend I have been stretching out my Achilles with the towel technique you suggested and have been applying some anti-inflammatory gel on it and there has been a big improvement! I don't limp when I walk now. It still feels tight and a bit uncomfortable but I can walk with even pressure on both feet and get down stairs without clinging onto the hand rail. If I could hug you I so would right now!!

Monday Check in - The weather over the last couple of days have been miserable, which has made me a bit miserable. The only perk I have is that I have managed to stay under my calories for 12/13 days! But I think some days I have been very under, like 300+ calories but I can't eat that much fruit at the end of a day to use them up. The trouble is my partner is a VERY fussy eater so I eat sparingly through out the day in case he wants something high in calories like sausages and when he doesn't I'm left with loads of spare calories. Which I thought wasn't a bad thing, but as it turns out I could be under eating. I think I food plan is going to have to come into action. The only problem is he can't guarantee when he will be home, so if it is something that will take an hour to cook and he doesn't get home until 8pm it turns into a takeaway night. :| issues...

I've fallen behind on my food diary as well. I've been carrying it around but not adding to it. I need a bit of a pick me up so I can get back to where I was before. Blech.

Rain rain go away, come again another day.
  • soosun
    soosun Posts: 128
    Options
    Over calories yesterday, did not walk or do squat challenge yesterday, so I guess you could say I fell off the wagon yesterday. Today, thank you very much, is a new day. Enough said. See you tomorrow everyone.
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well, I'm back. I really have missed you all but just didn't have any drive to do this. But I know I need to get back to this and feeling better. Holy cow has MFP made some changes! I haven't read up on anybody yet, but plan to do so this week. I just needed to get in here and get started.

Monday Check-In: Weighed in this morning and filled my water bottle. In the 2+ months I've been gone, I gained 1.2 pounds. I've been working out in a fairly consistant basis but putting pretty much anything I want in my mouth. I have been diagnosed with mid-level depression and started medication about 3 weeks ago. First round made me sick and now I'm on the second type and it seems to be going better (at least not vomiting!!). I know I have to be patient before I see results. The good news is the doctor does not feel like I'm clinically depressed, but feels that all the things I have been going through in the past 3-4 years (separation, Michael's alcoholism, getting back together, moving to ND, losing my friends of the last 15 years etc) has finally caught up with me and if I can just get over the hump, I shouldn't have to take anti-depressants for the rest of my life.

Quick recap of my late summer/early fall. Kids are off to school (3rd grade and 8th grade) and doing good. We actually are not in any sports right now so other than private piano/sax lessons and church activities, we get to stay home. That'll change next month, but I'm going to enjoy it while it's here.

Our family dog passed away in September. He was a miniature Chihuahua that had developed congestive heart failure last year. On a Sunday, he started not acting like himself and Michael felt that we would have to take him in to the vet and put him down on Monday. He passed away in Michael's arms overnight on Sunday. Lots of tears Monday. Emma came home from school and asked when we'd get another dog and Jacob went to bed crying that it hurt so much and he never wants another dog. Well, that didn't last long and on Friday, October 10th, we added a new addition to our household -- a 10 week old Golden Retriever -- Tucker. I forget that the last time I had to get up in the middle of the night (other than the occassional sick kid) was when Emma was 10 weeks old! Not sure I'm ready for this!

Took a quick trip to the Black Hills in South Dakota the end of September. We went to Devil's Tower and walked both paths. We went the wrong direction and instead of descending quickly and ascending over a long way, I had to go up about 350 feet in a rather short distance. During the hike, I was almost in tears as my husband stayed by me and encouraged me. After the hike, I felt proud of myself for making it up. The next day, I hated the hike as I had stretched my hip flexor and could barely move my right leg. Three days later, I was better after lots of ice and rest. However, we are going to Colorado next July so I better work on my hiking skills.

Alright, that's it for now. I look forward to catching up with all of the "oldies" and meeting the "newbies" and getting back on that wagon.

PS. Can someone tell me how to find this thread again? I used to be able to go to my discussions and click on it, but that seems to have changed. I had to do a search for "Robin's Thread" both times.

26944521.png
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone! I feel like I'm avoiding this site in an attempt to deny that the changes are pretty bad. It's just not as easy and user friendly as the old site and I reserve the right to pout about it. I can't even get the bookmark feature to keep this thread so it's easy to get to again. So frustrating!

@morgori - My hubby went big on World Egg Day and bought one of those Big Green Eggs he's been eying for years. Can't wait to enjoy all the yummy stuff he's planning on cooking.

@kah - You just have to make it through the week and then you're going to have a great vacation. I wish I could say the same.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Are you kidding me?!? This stupid new format just cut off 90% of my post. Now I really HATE it. So much for all the personals I just wrote.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    "@morgori - My hubby went big on World Egg Day and bought one of those Big Green Eggs he's been eying for years. Can't wait to enjoy all the yummy stuff he's planning on cooking.
    I love my smoker. I did two chickens and a beef chuck roast yesterday.

Good morning all.

Happy NATIONAL TRAIN YOUR BRAIN DAY
    Each year on October 13, people across the nation celebrate National Train Your Brain Day.
    This day was created to encourage everyone to expand and “exercise” their brain and use more of it’s potential capacity. There are many different ways to “exercise” your mind and improve your cognitive skills such as reading, word puzzles, number games, brain teasers, trivia games, riddles and etc.. Learning something new is another “exercise” that is a benefit to everyone’s brain on National Train Your Brain Day (as well as any other day).
    When the question is asked to American scientists as to how much of the brain is used, the answer varies however, many of them believe that it is only a small percentage and that there is room for expanded learning and knowledge within everyone.

“You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself.” ~Jim Rohn

Tom

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!
    A hearty Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian Friends!
    great quote I came across:
    "Take PRIDE in yourself: Personal Responsibility in Daily Efforts" per Jack Lewis Horton...not sure is he is quoting someone else. My apologies if so....
  • NK1112
    Options
    October challenge
    Count your calories: 8/12

Monday Check-in: 30 checkmarks out of a possible 42 on my "attendance" sheet for tracking the 6 item's I'm working on to improve. ... 1-staying on track with my nutrition goals, 2-being physically active for at least 30 minutes a day, 3-doing housework, 4-getting out of doors, 5-staying socially connected, 6-doing my calisthenics.

I can't understand how my body can gain and then lose up to 2 pounds from one day to the next, but that's what happens to me all the time. This morning I was down 2.2 pounds from what I weighed in yesterday. And I was at this mornings weight 3 different times in the past 12 days. Really working hard to break this trend and drop into the next lower 10's on the scale.

@Skinnyjeans ... my family is from Europe.
    @Mzfrizz15 and @tlh0407 --- welcome back. I sure do enjoy this thread. It's become, very quickly, something I'd rather spend time on than my FaceBook page.
    @BohemianCoast ... think I'll have to get my blender out and start smoothies again. The one you described sounds good and I've added coconut milk to my shopping list.
    @Morgori ... Love your daily quotes.

Niki