Low Carb-ers Challenge Part 7 Welcome all

Options

Replies

• pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Got on the scale this morning....that was a jolt back into reality! My little pity party and lack of resolve has cost me 10 lbs! That is it! I will not let this go any farther! Time to get back to doing the job at hand and that is to get healthy, not just lose weight although that is a nice perk. I went to the gym last night and the library. On nights when I can't get to the gym, I can occupy my mind instead of wondering around the house with nothing to do. I don't watch much tv. This way I wont be snacking. While my son is away and I am only cooking for my mom and me, I can control my environment a little more. These 10 lbs went on in one month, they are coming off in 2 weeks or else! No way no how am I going backwards!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Well I did end up having a little batter and a sample of the cake to make sure it was okay. I ended up going out for some sister support. I passed on the bread and only had broccoli carbs (I had the chicken alfredo and asked to have it over broccoli instead of pasta) . I came home and did Walk Away The Pounds 5 mile.

Diana when you can't get to the gym exercise dvd's are awesome and it will occupy your mind so you won't snack.

Marie, hope you are doing well.

Have a great day
  • pickadilly2009
    Options
    Ivy, I would do my exercise video's but there is only one tv and place in the house to do them and that is in the living room. My 87 yr old mother sits and watches tv all evening long. I ask her occasionally if I can use the tv and room but in the evening she is usually tired and not wanting to move much until 9pm when she goes to bed. Plus she has certain shows she likes to watch every night. I need a bigger house!
  • ivykivy
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing great. It is a bright and sunny day. I am baking again today - chocolate this time but I don't care for chocolate so I won't be tempted to eat the batter. I should bake the Italian creme since I hate coconut more:laugh: I'll be glad when the holidays are over.

Have a great day
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hi Ivy, you are getting your baking all done. I will do mine tomorrow. 2 pecan pies, a pumpkin pie and a big peach cobbler.
    And i can't have any of it. Oh well maybe next year.
    Just wanted to tell you thatit has been a pleasure having you on this thread.

Have a wonderful Holidays

Diana, It also been a pleaure having you on this thread o chat with. Happy holidays to you and your family.

Jeni, I missed you very much. I know you have your hands full now. So happy you have a job now. Merry christmas and happy new year.

To all the others, Missed you guys and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hey i need help. How do I convert% to grams on my food chart. I want to get 35% protein, 35% carbs and 30% fat. I have no ideal.
    Marie
  • pickadilly2009
    Options
    Marie, I found this on the web and it should help. If it seems to confusing, I can probably help you.

Diet Percentages: Part 1
    Commonly, when you see diet plans laid out, the intake of the various macronutrients (protein, carbohydrate, fat) is presented in terms of percentages of total caloric intake. So you might see a diet which was 60% carbohydrates, 30% protein and 10% fat or some other set of percentages. Or you’ll see recommendations that ‘…athletes only need 15% of their calories from protein.’ or ‘don’t eat more than 30% of your total calories from fat’, that sort of thing.

In this article, I want to teach readers what these percentages mean and how to use them (if you so desire) either analyze a given diet, set up a diet, or figure out what a food label means.

A quick recap on calories

In a previous chapter I gave you the caloric content of the various macronutrients. To save you needless paging, I’ll review them here.

■Protein: 4 calories/gram
    ■Carbohydrate: 4 calories/gram
    ■Fat: 9 calories/gram
    ■Alcohol: 7 calories per gra
    Calculating percentages

With the above values in hand, and using some basic math, we can do several different operations in terms of diet and food analysis. Let’s look at each one in turn. I’ll give examples but don’t read too much into the numbers. They are only examples.

Operation 1: Setting up diets based on percentages

Probably the most common use of methods is to do actual diet set up, to determine how many grams of each nutrient someone will be consuming. Let’s say we have a 170 pound male with a maintenance calorie level of roughly 2700 calories per day and let’s say we wanted to put him on a diet that was 60% carbohydrate, 20% protein and 20% fat (again, don’t read too much into these values, I’m using them for example only). We want to find out how many grams of each nutrient he will be consuming per day.

Step 1: Calculate total calories of each macronutrient

The first thing we’d do is multiply his total caloric intake (2700 cal/day) by the percentages of each macronutrient as this will tell us how many calories will be coming from each nutrient. To convert percentages, just divide by 100 so 20% becomes 0.20, 60% becomes 0.60, etc.

The calculations appear below

■Carbohydrate: 2700 * 0.60 = 1620 calories from carbohydrate
    ■Protein: 2700 * 0.20 = 540 calories from protein
    ■Fat: 2700 * 0.20 = 540 calories from fat
    ■Note: It should be obvious that the percentages need to total 100% (or 1.0).
    Step 2: Determine total grams from each macronutrient

Now we simply divide the total calories from each macronutrient by the caloric content of each macronutrient. This tells us how many grams of each food our guy will be eating each day.

■Carbohydrate: 1620 calories / 4 cal/gram =405 grams carbohydrate
    ■Protein: 540 cal / 4 cal/gram = 135 grams protein
    ■Fat = 540 calories / 9 cal/gram = 60 grams fat per day
    So this particular diet, with 2700 calories and 60% carbs, 20% protein and 20% fat yields a diet of 405 grams of carbohydate, 135 grams of protein and 60 grams of fat per day. For the remainder of the diet setup, you’d divide that up across some number of meals including pre- and post-workout, all that jazz.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks Diane. A girl told me from the golden sneakers how to do i t on my food chart and i have it all fix up.. You ought to get your Mother to join us. Does she used the computor?
  • pickadilly2009
    Options
    Marie, I am glad you got it figured out. No, my mom doesn't use the computer. She has parkinsons, and macular degeneration so she can't see very well and she shakes pretty badly. When I got home tonight, she hasn't been feeling very well. I think she is coming down with a cold so I am going to have to watch her very closely. She is on oxygen full time and colds seem to go straight to her lungs and turn into pnumonia. I hope it is just a little head cold. I gave her some Musinex which is the only thing she can take because she takes high blood pressure meds. She will be 88 in February. Time will tell. I hope I don't end up in the ER with her over Christmas.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Diane, I hope it is just a slight head cold. Is she able to stay by herself.
    It seems as we get older our bodies just start falling apart.
    I have my problems too, don't know how I would make it without my husbands.
    We are having storms coming in. Also in a tornada alert.
    It is lighting pretty bad now.
    Marie
  • ivykivy
    Options
    Diane I hope your mom only has congestion and not pneumonia. My dad gets it every year. I'll keep her in my prayers.

Marie, glad you got it figured out. You get to eat more carbs now? I hope it works out with your blood sugar. I hope the weather holds. I hate tornado season and hurricane season. It seems in the south it is always season for something.

I didn't have to bake another cake after all so I can be totally sugar free today. I am going to bake more flax muffins this time with no sweetener.

Have a good night.
  • pickadilly2009
    Options
    Thank you both for your thoughtfulness. Marie, she does stay by herself during the day while I am at work and if I have to go somewhere she is o.k. as well. Most of the time if I go out in the evening my son is here so they keep an eye on each other. I think that will all be changing in the next year for her though. Her vision is getting pretty bad and the parkinsons is starting to affect her memory. We have had conversations about the same thing 4 times in one day and she truely does not remember one word. All of this is why I moved her in with me in Sept 07. She just needed a little more care and some company. My sisters that lived close to her just were not cutting the mustard so to speak. So here we are. An 87 yr old, an 11 yr old and a 45 yr old! What a motley crew!

It is amazing how different the weather can be in different places. It is 19 deg. here and has been snowing since last night and now the wind is blowing. Seems odd that you two are talking tornados and lighting! lol. You both stay safe!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    What recipe do you used For you flax muffin.? I know you put Carrots in one batch. I will be able to have carrots in January.
    those muffin keeps me going. I want to figure out the calories.

Well they just announced snow will be here in the morning about 9:00 am. Can hardly wait to see it. If we get it.
    We had a prety good shower about an hour ago.
    The tempertures is dropping fast now.
    Marie
  • ivykivy
    Options
    This is the recipe I used

1/2 cups flaxmeal (280+ 70+160)
    1/4 tsp. baking powder
    ¼ tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    4 teaspoons oil
    1 eggs beaten

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Spoon mixture into muffin pans lined with cupcake papers. Bake for around 15 minutes.

I guess I double your recipe. I made 3 muffins out of this. They are roughly 170 calories per muffin. adding the 1/4 cup of grated carrots only added 1 carb (5 calories).
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Good morning Low Carbers.
    Now to get thru the biggest meal of the year. As for me I will sstayed on my program and drink lots of water
    I have a red sweatshirt that say " Christmss it. Calories don't count . But they do, So watch it, they can sneak up on you.
    Marie
  • ivykivy
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a good day. I will try to eat conservatively and not condogishly :bigsmile: But honestly at this point I would be happy with a burger (sans bread of course) or a ribeye steak. Seeing other people eat massive amounts of food really is an appetite buster.

Diana, hope your mother is doing well.

Marie, I gave you the wrong info on the flax muffin. Usually I just add the ingredients into the food diary and make a meal then divide by the number of serving I went when I add it. I went back and used sparkpeople calculator and this is what I got. I double your recipe and made 3 big muffins.

Nutrition Facts

User Entered Recipe

3 Servings

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 256.1
    Total Fat 19.8 g
    Saturated Fat 1.4 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.8 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 5.1 g
    Cholesterol 70.8 mg
    Sodium 167.9 mg
    Potassium 46.1 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
    Dietary Fiber 13.1 g
    Sugars 0.4 g
    Protein 10.3 g

Vitamin A 2.4 %
    Vitamin B-12 2.8 %
    Vitamin B-6 1.9 %
    Vitamin C 2.2 %
    Vitamin D 2.2 %
    Vitamin E 4.6 %
    Calcium 14.0 %
    Copper 0.7 %
    Folate 2.3 %
    Iron 22.0 %
    Magnesium 1.1 %
    Manganese 38.2 %
    Niacin 0.4 %
    Pantothenic Acid 2.1 %
    Phosphorus 4.1 %
    Riboflavin 5.5 %
    Selenium 7.4 %
    Thiamin 0.9 %
    Zinc 1.9 %
  • pickadilly2009
    Options
    Merry Christmas! Joy to the world the Lord is born!!! Happy Birthday Jesus!

I hope you all enjoy your day and have many lasting memories when it is over!

Diana
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Merry Christmas
  • ivykivy
    Options
    Merry Christmas! Hope you all had a wonderful day. I discovered my stomach has shrunk and I cannot not eat very much.

There is a poem call Christmas he no good. It is a bit politically incorrect. But I'm changing it to ...

Sugar he no good.: Make sleepy, make butt big, stomach hang over like sack. Sugar - he no good.:bigsmile:

My uncle called my sister a big fat pig. I jumped on his case. Is it okay to pimp slap a 66 year old man. I told him never to comment on a woman's weight. You know how sensitive you men are about losing your hair. What if I called you baldy and made comment on your lack of hair. I know it was kinda mean but there are somethings you just don't say when you see somebody.
  • pickadilly2009
    Options
    Ivy, good for you for standing up for your sister! My brother has always made negative comments about my appearance and it is just horrible! Shame on them and horray for you!

Your little poem was cute! And how nice to not be able to eat as much! That is a good thing!

Again, Merry Christmas to all!