Why do I have HUGE hips?

Options

Replies

• eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You have them because of genetics; it's just the way you're built.

By getting to your goal weight, you can make them smaller, but they will likely always be proportionately larger.

exactly. Be happy with what you have...I'd would kill for beautiful curvy hips at a healthy weight. Just think when/if you have babies it'll be a lot easier for you! Plus, men find curves attractive.
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options
    The amish find birthing hips attractive

Needs to move to where the amish are. :ohwell:
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    The amish find birthing hips attractive

Needs to move to where the amish are. :ohwell:

But last time I heard that they only marry amish. LOL
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Lower your body fat percentage. :)

just sayin!

Holy crap, it's that easy? I wonder why nobody just does that?!

Not really as simple as all that, and some people, no matter what they try are just going to have wider hips, butt and thighs....not a damn thing wrong with that though :bigsmile:

"Body shape" simply depends on genetics and where your body stores fat. Regardless, with a low enough body fat percentage she shouldn't have that problem. No one has "HUGE" actual hip bones... they may just carry fat in that area.

She also mentions "even when I was skinny I was still a size 11." Define skinny? I mean, if your body fat percentage is low enough, I just don't see how thats a problem. It's definitely possible for someone to lower your body fat percentage... I was being serious and trying to be helpful. ;_;

Well, it's not as simple as "Hey just lower your body fat percentage" some of those areas are stubborn, and further some just appear to be genetics. Even when my wife was a "normal" weight for her height she always has larger hips, butt and thighs (believe me, I've heard the complaining when she attempts to shop for clothes, she's short and very curvy even when there's not much fat in most places).

Based on the weight on your ticker and your profile pics I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 1) you don't have this problem with "unusually" wide hips, 2) You've never had a weight problem/issues with loosing weight when you want, and 3) Drop weight and slim out relatively easily. Just a hunch though, could be completely wrong.

I love how you completely try and discredit what I had to say by making off-the-cuff assumptions about me. I'm sorry, you can be a good "weight to height ratio", and still have a high level of body fat. This is actually pretty common especially for women who do tons of cardio and then lose weight at far too high of a caloric deficit. I didn't say "lower your weight" i said "lower your fat".

Sure, losing fat is hard. No one said it was going to be easy. I also never said theres anythign wrong with wide hips, unless you read OPs post which states she hates them and wants to know how to get rid of them. by losing FAT, not just "weight".

I have NEVER seen someone with below 19-20% as a female with extremely "Wide Hips". why? because they dont have enough fat.

To OP, I suggest you continue to lose weight at a slow/steady pace with a very small/minor caloric deficit. I suggest you begin strength training/resistance training. I suggest you also eat adequate amounts of protein to try and combat muscle cannibalism as you continue to lose weight.

I don't know why there's anything wrong with pointing it out like it is. If you don't like it, you have the chance and power to change it!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER seen someone with below 19-20% as a female with extremely "Wide Hips". why? because they dont have enough fat.

My body fat percentage is probably 22%. I have a 28" waist and 40" hips.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

My body fat percentage is 18% and i have a 24'' waist and 36'' hips. I know. Im simply saying- "how do I make my hips smaller?"... continue to lose body fat. Body shape is based on where your body chooses to hold fat. Generally in women it is hips, inner thighs, and lower stomach.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

My body fat percentage is 18% and i have a 24'' waist and 36'' hips. I know. Im simply saying- "how do I make my hips smaller?"... continue to lose body fat. Body shape is based on where your body chooses to hold fat. Generally in women it is hips, inner thighs, and lower stomach.

I got what you are saying and you probably look amazing with these metrics. :) However, 24:36 ratio, to many of us, still looks pretty hippie. Of course it's all relatively speaking. :)
  • xoalyssaox
    xoalyssaox Posts: 320
    Options
    I am currently doing Insanity, after that I will pick a program with more weight training:) Thanks for your advice!!!

:)
    Lower your body fat percentage. :)

just sayin!

Holy crap, it's that easy? I wonder why nobody just does that?!

Not really as simple as all that, and some people, no matter what they try are just going to have wider hips, butt and thighs....not a damn thing wrong with that though :bigsmile:

"Body shape" simply depends on genetics and where your body stores fat. Regardless, with a low enough body fat percentage she shouldn't have that problem. No one has "HUGE" actual hip bones... they may just carry fat in that area.

She also mentions "even when I was skinny I was still a size 11." Define skinny? I mean, if your body fat percentage is low enough, I just don't see how thats a problem. It's definitely possible for someone to lower your body fat percentage... I was being serious and trying to be helpful. ;_;

Well, it's not as simple as "Hey just lower your body fat percentage" some of those areas are stubborn, and further some just appear to be genetics. Even when my wife was a "normal" weight for her height she always has larger hips, butt and thighs (believe me, I've heard the complaining when she attempts to shop for clothes, she's short and very curvy even when there's not much fat in most places).

Based on the weight on your ticker and your profile pics I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 1) you don't have this problem with "unusually" wide hips, 2) You've never had a weight problem/issues with loosing weight when you want, and 3) Drop weight and slim out relatively easily. Just a hunch though, could be completely wrong.

I love how you completely try and discredit what I had to say by making off-the-cuff assumptions about me. I'm sorry, you can be a good "weight to height ratio", and still have a high level of body fat. This is actually pretty common especially for women who do tons of cardio and then lose weight at far too high of a caloric deficit. I didn't say "lower your weight" i said "lower your fat".

Sure, losing fat is hard. No one said it was going to be easy. I also never said theres anythign wrong with wide hips, unless you read OPs post which states she hates them and wants to know how to get rid of them. by losing FAT, not just "weight".

To OP, I suggest you continue to lose weight at a slow/steady pace with a very small/minor caloric deficit. I suggest you begin strength training/resistance training. I suggest you also eat adequate amounts of protein to try and combat muscle cannibalism as you continue to lose weight.

I don't know why there's anything wrong with pointing it out like it is. If you don't like it, you have the chance and power to change it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I don't know what my BF% is, but I know that losing more weight isn't going to make my hips much, if any, narrower. I can feel where the bones are. My skeleton would have wide hips. I can dress in ways and pose in ways that make them look narrower. Weight lifting made my shoulders appear wider so I don't look so pearshaped. But at some angles, I have a Kardashian *kitten*.
  • Peppa70
    Peppa70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with ishtar13 and I say this because I have this same problem. No matter what you do they aren't going away. You can minimize and reduce them some but you will never be free of them so just embrace them. I have :) but try doing squats and lunges this helped me alot.
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am so annoyed. I feel like I have ginormous hips. Even when I weighed 125 pounds I still wore a size 11 pants b/c my hips were so flipping big....

Okay so here I am now, I am 155 pounds, 5'2, and my hips are 42".. I have lost 34 pounds, but still have big hips, I plan on losing more weight and getting back to 125 but I am confused b/c my older sister is my same exact height and weighs 125, yet is a size 5 juniors and when I weighed 125 I was 11 juniors. WTF????

Can I fix my big hips?

Part of this is genetics and goes way back. This was seen by many cultures as something very attractive. This meant you would make good children. Therefore made you more desirable as a potential partner. Love your booty girl. If you are looking to reshape the hips then look for exercises that focus on those muscle groups.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can ever "fix" big hips, either you have them or you don't! yes, some people don't naturally have large hips, but for people like you and me with naturally wide set hips you cannot just get rid of them. Even at size 3 I have super large hips, so much so that I have hip condition because of it. Learn to embrace your large hips, not everyone is so lucky to have them! think about how many awesome clothes you can rock :)
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I am so annoyed. I feel like I have ginormous hips. Even when I weighed 125 pounds I still wore a size 11 pants b/c my hips were so flipping big....

Okay so here I am now, I am 155 pounds, 5'2, and my hips are 42".. I have lost 34 pounds, but still have big hips, I plan on losing more weight and getting back to 125 but I am confused b/c my older sister is my same exact height and weighs 125, yet is a size 5 juniors and when I weighed 125 I was 11 juniors. WTF????

Can I fix my big hips?

I'm 126 pounds 5'4" and a size 10 because of my huge hips. That's not junior sizes either. :( Most people at my weight and height are a much smaller size.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Wow. I'm 5'10 and have 46" hips with 60lbs or so left to lose. Guess I have small hips which I prefer anyways. Woohoo!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Embrace your curvy womanhood! Men love curves and you don't need to be as skinny as your sister. I don't compare myself to mine because even when I was skinny my body was the exact opposite body shape. Being sisters doesn't guarantee the same genetics. You're beautiful for who you are - you!
  • runningfromzombies
    Options
    Thank goodness for this thread. I'd like to be friends with all of you. :love:

I'm 5'8". Even when I was 23% body fat, 143 pounds, I had a 27.5" waist and 39.5" hips, and at that point, my hips had stopped shrinking and my waist was still compressing itself. Time to learn to embrace it!
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hey!

We're almost exactly the same! so see it's not just you! I'm 5'2" and currently at 135 and my hips are still 39" when I was 125 they maybe got to 38" so that's my goal I just know they will never really be small.

As for sizes in some things I wear a 3 or a 5 but in misses I wear a 2-4 (at 125 now more like 4-6) so the ladies saying stop shopping in Juniors do have a good point. Juniors are made for tweens and teens who haven't got all their curves yet...I had my curves at 11...I should have skipped them all together! lol if I really like a paid of skinny jeans in the juniors section I know I'm going to need at least a 9 so a lot of it has to so with the cut or style you want so do let those little numbers get to you.

If you need a shorty friend with hips, hit me up. =)
  • TheatreLover23
    Options
    I know how you feel, but hey men LOVE hips! It's feminine. I feel the same way about my hips, but I love having them.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Bones?
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    From a guys perspective .. hips are just fine. Could be a lot worse .. just imagine being a guy and having that protruding stomach thing going on (that is so common on overweight guys).

Hips are good ... and a natural woman feature. Nothing wrong with having hips.