Why do I have HUGE hips?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Dress the widest part of you and take in the rest - forget about the number. Clothing manufacturers are trying to sell clothes-period. My waist is 12-14 inches smaller than my hips (depending on whether I am 115 or 125 at 5'1.5"). I gave up on numbers a long time ago. Find a great tailor and invest in clothes: rather than having 8-10 pr of jeans that sorta fit, have 3 pair that fit great. Keep your A-line or pencil skirts right at the knee. Wear boots with heels to give the illusion of longer legs, which makes the hips look more proportionate. Track your body fat to stay lean (if you don't trust a mirror). Flaunt the low-fat top half of yourself if you carry your weight in the bottom half. It's a glass half-full approach. Learn to love what you have instead of fighting it.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Having a pear body shape is actually healthier. :) Waist-to-hip ratio may be a better way to assess health risk than BMI. So if you have big hips and a smaller waist, that's good news!

I've always had big hips. I thought they'd go away with some weight loss, but I've only lost 1 inch. However, most people don't even notice because I know how to dress with my big hips! I love fit and flare dresses, A-line skirts, anything with a peplum, jeans that aren't incredibly low-rise... It's not about hiding your hips, it's about embracing them and dressing to flatter your own body.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    And STOP SHOPPING IN THE JUNIORS SECTION. Unless you are under age 21, you don't belong there anyway ;)

No.. just no.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Genetics.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I have big hips too, but hey we can't chop them off..... They will be in my favour when I give birth one day hahahaha!!!

I have learned to love them as they're not going anywhere.... Think it gives us that womanly curve
  • hopelesswritr
    Options
    lol, but why do we need to gauge approval of a body shape by whether or not a guy is going to find it attractive? If a woman feels sexy at a size 2 or a size 22, it's up to the woman. Who cares if certain guys might find that attractive?
  • hopelesswritr
    Options

Large bottom/hips/thighs are pretty normal in most women it seems...and well I personally think it's much more attractive than no butt, stick legs and bony hips!

Well, some women look like that naturally, just as some women are naturally larger in the hip region. No need to be insulting to people who look different from you.

No offense intended, if you are one of those skinny types, there are plenty of men who find that attractive. As I said my PERSONAL opinion is that fat bottomed girls are more attractive to me.

This is the comment I was responding to. My bad.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Embrace it! When I was dealing with the worst parts of anorexia, I weighed 95 lbs at 5'6"... I couldn't fit into a smaller size pair of pants than a 5 or 7. That's not very big... but when I think my bmi was roughly 15 or 16, it was jarring that my hips would not go away. Now they're my fiance's favorite part of me, and I never feel bad about an hourglass shape.

WHAT THE HELL WOMAN. WHAT HAPPENED?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am so annoyed. I feel like I have ginormous hips. Even when I weighed 125 pounds I still wore a size 11 pants b/c my hips were so flipping big....

Okay so here I am now, I am 155 pounds, 5'2, and my hips are 42".. I have lost 34 pounds, but still have big hips, I plan on losing more weight and getting back to 125 but I am confused b/c my older sister is my same exact height and weighs 125, yet is a size 5 juniors and when I weighed 125 I was 11 juniors. WTF????

Can I fix my big hips?
    That's just how your skeleton is shaped. I have them, too. So did Marilyn Monroe. Embrace them. They're beautiful.
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Juniors never fit me properly. They are made for people who are straight up and down, bigger waist and no hips.

"Misses" sizes (2,4 6, etc) are made for women with a shape.
    I prefer having a shape
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    Embrace your big hips! I bet you have a shapely feminine looking body - don't worry about it. I know lots of people who would KILL to have hips!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPK8p1E5THhegqqQnVc0997oPDFFLo4ccKoJvQsBQwO4bwA_WuJA
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    I am so annoyed. I feel like I have ginormous hips. Even when I weighed 125 pounds I still wore a size 11 pants b/c my hips were so flipping big....

Okay so here I am now, I am 155 pounds, 5'2, and my hips are 42".. I have lost 34 pounds, but still have big hips, I plan on losing more weight and getting back to 125 but I am confused b/c my older sister is my same exact height and weighs 125, yet is a size 5 juniors and when I weighed 125 I was 11 juniors. WTF????

Can I fix my big hips?
    Unless you've figured out how to change your genetics..........................no.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PHr34k0wt
    PHr34k0wt Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This user isn't even active anymore, but I wanted to add that body shape does change over time, and the way that you work out effects your body shape as well.
    When I was in highschool and 120lbs I couldn't squish into pants small than a 5, and a 5 was tight. Now I'm 130lbs, and my pants are a LOOSE 5, which only makes me imagine that if I was to be 120lbs again, I'd suddenly take a smaller pant size.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This user isn't even active anymore, but I wanted to add that body shape does change over time, and the way that you work out effects your body shape as well.
    When I was in highschool and 120lbs I couldn't squish into pants small than a 5, and a 5 was tight. Now I'm 130lbs, and my pants are a LOOSE 5, which only makes me imagine that if I was to be 120lbs again, I'd suddenly take a smaller pant size.
    I don't know how old you are, but unless you're trying on the exact same size 5 pants as you tried in high school, the new ones might actually be bigger than the old ones.

Body shape can change a bit, but if you have large hips, it's skeletal, not fat (though fat can make them even bigger). She's a pear or hourglass body shape and that doesn't really change with time or exercise. She might be able to lose weight and build muscle and be smaller in general. but her hips will still be big in proportion to her waist.
  • PHr34k0wt
    PHr34k0wt Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bones, yes absolutely, but if you focus on different areas when losing weight, or dont focus on certain areas, you're going to gain and lose differently.
    For instance, at 120 in highschool, I was skinny fat. Those 5's were tight.
    Now, at 125, I have a lot more muscle build, which, on me, is a lot tighter than my fat.

Also, from what I understand, people's "problem" areas change as they age.

Oh! and might I add in, Yes the same jeans from highschool. I've had them tucked away as goal pants.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Replying to read through this later. 5'2" 170 lbs i had about 45" hips (2 months after second baby). 145 - 41" hips, 140 - 40" hips, 135 i have 39" hips. Lately it seems for every 5 lbs I lose 1". I don't think I'll be able to get under 125 (my weight when i was 19 and thin), so I'm assuming my hips wont go much lower than 37." I agree with don't shop in juniors anymore. I find Old Navy Sweetheart jeans to fit my hips and with the vanity sizes I'm a 4 or 6. Juniors just aren't built for my hips.