No sweets til Christmas~

Options

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    You have to make sacrifices for the children. Cheesecakes take a long time to bake. You did the right thing. But if you ever need me to substitute I'd be glad to take a hit.:laugh: I LOVE cheesecake. National Cheesecake day is 7/30 :bigsmile:
    I forgot to count today.

Lori 13
    Sweets 0

Well, I have to give back a sweet-- had some nice family time tonight. Kids baked a cheesecake, so I had a small piece. It was after my run, so I'm cool with it-- whaddyagonnado? Calories are still good today and I had a strong run. It is what it is, I guess--

So, Marla 11
    Sweets 2

I think--
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I wonder...does anyone else obsess about sweets like I do. Lately, it's literally all I think about...cookies...cake...chocolate...ice cream. I feel like a drug addict, and my drug of choice is sweets. It's not just sugar either, because nothing eases the obsessing except giving in and eating a ton of sweets...I don't even know if that eases it completely, because I'm not sure once I start I can ever get enough. I know I won't be successful in this weight loss journey long term unless I can overcome this addiction, but only part of me wants to...I want all of me to want to. How can you beat an addiction when the biggest part of you doesn't want to quit? I need rehab.
  • supermom1114
    Options
    I wonder...does anyone else obsess about sweets like I do. Lately, it's literally all I think about...cookies...cake...chocolate...ice cream. I feel like a drug addict, and my drug of choice is sweets. It's not just sugar either, because nothing eases the obsessing except giving in and eating a ton of sweets...I don't even know if that eases it completely, because I'm not sure once I start I can ever get enough. I know I won't be successful in this weight loss journey long term unless I can overcome this addiction, but only part of me wants to...I want all of me to want to. How can you beat an addiction when the biggest part of you doesn't want to quit? I need rehab.

I don't obsess over them but since starting this challenge I think about them a lot more, I used to never crave sweets but when I did, I'd have a small amount and that was it. Now that I cant have anything I feel a little crazy at times. I'm only doing this challenge until Christmas because I've never had a huge problem with sweets but I've always eaten way more sweets at holiday time than any other time during the year, so I like that its keeping me accountable during this time. But once the new year starts and my husband comes home I'll end up being too busy to think about sweets and if I do its always planned and I don't feel guilty if I plan it ahead and its in my calories. But right now I'm done with school except two finals and taking my son out of daycare, so I'll be at home mostly being tempted by the holiday goodies. Gotta Stay strong girl!! You will make it!! If you're at the point that when you cave you go way overboard then don't give in, learn to have self control and when you do have something sweet, savor every bite so it feels like you're eating more. Also I like to make whatever I splurge on something decadent and rich so it feels even more special.

Your body is designed so that when you have something sweet it will stop you from eating too much because it knows its high in calories. However with all the fake sweeteners out there (splenda, HFCS, etc etc) you're body gets the sweetness but not the calories which confuses it. So eventually it forgets to attach a limit to sweets and allows you to overeat without feeling like you're going crazy. So avoid anything that claims to be sugar free and has a fake sweetener in it. Opt for a smaller portion of a real sugar item and stick to that small portion. You're body will eventually re-learn to set a limit to sweets, but you've gotta give it time!
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Lisa - 9
    Sweets - 0 :bigsmile:

I really wanted some ice cream from Dairy Queen tonight.. but I passed on it. Yay!!

I'm definitely having a candy cane blizzard thing on Christmas Eve, but not until then! I had another wonderful day! Got my haircut and normally I would go and get a starbucks and walk the mall but instead I powerwalked a lap and then started trying on tons of jeans... I went to 3 different stores and tried stuff on.. so I range from a size 6 at express a size 7 at Charlotte Russe, and a size 8 at American Eagle, well I could get in a size 6 but theres a bit of muffin top so not going there yet. All in all I bought a pair of jeans at American Eagle since they had a wash AND fit that I liked... I have wide hips and a booty as well as large muscular thighs so skinny or boot cut jeans just make me look funny, I like a bit of a flare but Express's flare is too big lol American eagle was just right! I'm so glad I invested the time to go to a few different places and really focus on finding something I liked, rather than browsing with a coffee in my hand. Plus this motivated me to stay on track so I can get even smaller! I also stopped by Victoria Secret and got a little somethin somethin for my hubby when he comes home =) Also very motivating to keep me on track lol

I hope everyone has a great day tomorrow ladies!

Carleen- 6
    Sweets- 6

Tied Again!!!

Heyyy, I don't know if you're already a member or not, but you can join the DQ Blizzard Fan Club and get a printable coupon for buy 1 get 1 free Blizzard. http://www.blizzardfanclub.com/join/

oh you're evil.... lol
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,992 Member
    Options
    Wed: Accountability
    Sherry 5
    Sweets 0

Its a little easier everyday. It helps that I don't have anything really in the house to tempt me and, at work they don't have sweets either in our area. The "Treat" day is next tuesday so, I will make sure I work remote that day!

Good luck to you all today.
    Drink your water!
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    You have to make sacrifices for the children. Cheesecakes take a long time to bake. You did the right thing. But if you ever need me to substitute I'd be glad to take a hit.:laugh: I LOVE cheesecake. National Cheesecake day is 7/30 :bigsmile:

Cool I didn't know this about cheesecake day. I think that might be the dessert of choice on my anniversaries from now on. 7/30/10 will be 5 years.
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Dew: 9
    Sweets: 3 ?!

I can't believe this! It just occured to me that the 1/2 of the small pie piece I had today was actually something sweet! :grumble: . I did not crave it and I could have very well done without it. I just did not think! :angry: And I was just going to save the Number 3 for next Wednesday, when we have a Christmas Party at work and I would most likely bite from this and that (I admire all of you who are so strong at the Season's Parties, but I'll allow myself a bite, cos I know I'm too shy to go back and take more pieces). I already have some personal restrictions in addition to sweets, so sometimes I'm a bit permissive. Like those 3 days! :ohwell:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options

Cool I didn't know this about cheesecake day. I think that might be the dessert of choice on my anniversaries from now on. 7/30/10 will be 5 years.

Cheesecake Factory gives free or discounted cheesecake that day, too. It's the day after my birthday, so that was the dessert choice this year...the carrot cake one was a-freakin-mazing.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I was soooooo tempted to purchase some gourmet popcorn (caramel) today when I had to run out to take care of some errands. I remembered this thread and drove right past the store. So shout out to whomever came up with this great idea. It is truly holding me accountable. That gourmet popcorn is absolutely the best and I had not eaten any in a while so it was really calling my name but I resisted to temptations. I'm pretty certain I can claim victory for today b/c I have no reason to go back out the house but I will wait until a later to ensure the battle has been won.

Have a great day ladies.
  • NotSurprised
    NotSurprised Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Oh my I just remembered, crap I'm going to have to write it on paper or something or get a diary. lol maybe a blog...hmmmm

Jason 12

Sweets 0
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Good job, troops-- victory is sweeter than anything, yes?
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    BrendaLee, could this happen because you're thinking "it's now or never - one last time and then I'll give them up for good"?. It's not like you'll have to give them up forever, it's just that you'll get used in time to smaller portions and be happier with little portions. Sure, there might be times you'll go overboard, but those will become more and more rare.

My experience is that if I give up sugar/sweets for a while, when I'll have some chocolate I used to like, my first reaction would be "gosh, this is so sweet!". Then I'll get used to it and crave it again soon.

Try to find replacements: have an apple as desert (I read somewhere that it helps our brain produce some substance which gives us the feeling of satiety and has the same effect as a slice of cake). Or try dried fruits, they are sugary enough. Have a banana or some grapes - unless you have diabetes issues.

Try playing mind games, imagine some of the ingredients were not fresh. See if this won't convince you. :wink:
    Once again, remember, you don't have to give them up completely, but they also shouldn't steal the calories from you :wink:.
  • Marla64
    Options
    I tend to think I'd be better off if I swore off the desserts like the alcoholic does his alcohol. I know when it's in my system, with just one bite, I'll crave more.

I truly can't see myself ever doing that, because I have controlled it. And I do these challenges when it creeps back in too much--

As for apples, dewdrop, funny you should mention them. I just went to the grocery store on a mad dash for eggs (so my rotten daughter could make tollhouse cookies for tonight-- grumble) and was tired and wanting to eat something soooooo badly. All the way there I'm thinking of what to get while I'm out. A burger? Fries? Something-- I wanted something.

And I settled on a perfect golden delicious apple from the produce section. I'm sooooooooooooo proud of myself.

Now-- about those cookies tonight-- oh my-- be strong, Marla-- be strong!!!
  • Marla64
    Options
    Marla whatever--
    Sweets 3

She didn't just make chocolate chip cookies-- she made chocolate CHUNK cookies.

I had one--

No more-- I swear-- but I had one.

Rotten kids.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Marla whatever--
    Sweets 3

She didn't just make chocolate chip cookies-- she made chocolate CHUNK cookies.

I had one--

No more-- I swear-- but I had one.

Rotten kids.

Chocolate chunk cookies?! I would have had one, too. I love anything even remotely like chocolate chip cookies.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Going down for a bite of Red Velvet Cake.

Ivy 7
    Sweets 3
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    I have eaten dinner and am now satisfying my sweet craving by chomping on some grapes. Since I've showered and am now chilling in my lounging clothes I know for sure I won't be going back out tonight therefore I'm claiming victory for another day.

Chocolickkyss: 5
    Sweets: 0

Tomorrow is the day that my willpower will be tested. My unit is having a holiday celebration and there will be plenty of sweets to choose from. I'm trying to devise a plan that will keep me focused, so, if anyone has any suggestions feel free to share.

Have a great evening all.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I gave in today... my mom bought me a chocolate santa and I resisted for a while but eventually went crazy and ate it. My resistance is low right now anyway due to that time of the month.. I've fought a good fight this far!! lol

Lisa - 9
    Sweets - 1
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Ugh.. I have a confession.

I couldn't stop after the chocolate santa. I ate a brownie and 2 creme drops! I felt guilty and had to fess up. Even though I hate that I ate them, I do feel a little better. I feel strong again. Hopefully I got the need for sugar out of my system (I really hope I didn't fuel it more!!!). All I need to do is last just a few more days... lol
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Confession time for me too... I got my tattoo today and beforehand I was nervous and gave in to some Uh-Oh Oreos... and then after I gave in to hershey kisses... but I'm pumped I got my tattoo!!! heres a pic!!!

16532_1157737873386_1525920029_3040.jpg