As if There Weren't Enough Reasons to go Vegan

Options

Replies

• _Elainee
    _Elainee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I haven't come across a single good reason for going vegan.

Not even animal welfare, the environment or health benefits?

how is eating cheese from farm raise cattle abusive to cattle or the environment? i understand avoiding consuming an animal product that was produced by inhumane methods, but that doesn't require one to go vegan.

and i actually believe that it is not in health's best interest to go vegan.

Lets start with cheese. To produce milk (used in cheese) cattle are required to be pregnant every year. The calves are separated from the mother within a few days usually. The male calves are then killed and sold as veal, or raised to produce meat. Dairy cows often suffer from a variety of health problems due to being pregnant so often. Not all cows are free range. Many are kept indoors and fed artificial chemicals. For example, in Kentucky cows are genuinely being feed candy because corn and hay are too expensive.

What makes you think it isn't healthy?

do you understand that cows get pregnant as soon as they can again naturally too?
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You do realize that mice are primarily herbivores? The way their bodies react to meat is very different from how we would react to it.

Why would our bodies react differently? There is a reason mice are used for so much testing. Humans are born herbivores my friend. We just simply choose to ignore what our bodies are designed for in favor of what satisfies our pleasure center. Check out this link:

http://www.waoy.org/26.html
    We are not herbivores at all. We are Omnivores.
    We have teeth that are made for eating "grass" (as it were, I know we don't actually eat it anymore) and also the teeth that are made for chewing meat. I'm not saying therefore we HAVE to eat meat or only vegetation but we are not herbivores.

Each to their own, if a person wants to be a vegan or a paleo etc then that is their decision. I don't want to adopt (please pardon the following phraseology) an extreme diet of any kind. If a person can do well on a vegetarian or vegan diet and their health is good then that is up to them.
    I wasn't particularly suited to a veggie diet (was one for 18 months when I was a teenager), my mother was very careful to ensure that I got plenty of protein from other sources other than meat and I did have a very good diet but it didn't suit me and I was quite often unwell. It doesn't mean that a vegetarian diet makes everyone ill, it just didn't suit me.
    I personally think that as long as you eat the required amount of food groups for a healthy diet then each to their own!

Did you actually go to the link and look at the the list of physiological differences between carnivores and herbivores? As to being an omnivore, it does address that as well, though admittedly very minimally. But, FYI, pigs are true physiological omnivores. At any rate, you seem to be implying that I am choosing a side. I'm actually just trying to share some information here. I had a sausage, egg, cheese breakfast burrito this morning and a huge chicken fried steak for lunch . . . . oink, oink.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    still think the OPTIMAL human diet includes very little, if any, animal products.

optimal for what though?
    Optimal for life. Longevity, cognitive ability, athletic ability, etc. Just about every aspect of life improves when you make the switch to whole foods, plant based diet.

then what are my boobs for again?

ROFL...THAT was an AWESOME answer...I don't care what side you're on...gotta give props there.

It was a stupid answer seemingly unrelated to anything. She might as well have posted "I like the colour pink!"

if you can't connect the dots on that one, then i think you just showed everyone how much credit we should give your posts.

Vegans DO breast feed. That's why your idiotic statement makes no sense.

You are arguing in a circle now. Vegans--no animal products including milk. Except for babies???

Makes no sense. So, babies are not "born herbivores"?

*Sigh* Breast milk comes from a consenting HUMAN.

Oh, so not all meat products are bad. If you find a dead animal, then it's okay to eat it, because nature made it dead, not humans?

No, that would be disrespectful. That's like me asking you if you'd eat a dead human.
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for over 7 years. I've never looked back. Best decision I've ever made, after going vegetarian.

Me too! ignore the others on this site...

^^ Ignorance is bliss. :flowerforyou:
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Animal testing to prove a vegan diet?

lol
    FTMFW
    BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    58e16f42.gif
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    still think the OPTIMAL human diet includes very little, if any, animal products.

optimal for what though?
    Optimal for life. Longevity, cognitive ability, athletic ability, etc. Just about every aspect of life improves when you make the switch to whole foods, plant based diet.

ROFL...THAT was an AWESOME answer...I don't care what side you're on...gotta give props there.

It was a stupid answer seemingly unrelated to anything. She might as well have posted "I like the colour pink!"

if you can't connect the dots on that one, then i think you just showed everyone how much credit we should give your posts.

You are arguing in a circle now. Vegans--no animal products including milk. Except for babies???

Oh, so not all meat products are bad. If you find a dead animal, then it's okay to eat it, because nature made it dead, not humans?

No, that would be disrespectful. That's like me asking you if you'd eat a dead human.

If it the human was not rancid or disease infested and there was no other way for me to sustain myself, sure... why not? That person is dead already. So I should join them too just because they expired?
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    Vegan: old Native American word for "lousy hunter"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Options

optimal for what though?

If it the human was not rancid or disease infested and there was no other way for me to sustain myself, sure... why not? That person is dead already. So I should join them too just because they expired?

The question I was responding to asked if it was ok to eat any animal that died of natural causes. Your catastrophe situation is unrelated.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Oooh someone posted a vegan thread, let's all jump on the "let's hate the veg lifestyle" bandwagon. Hey, if you have no intention of not giving up meat then don't give up meat but why do people ALWAYS have to bag on vegan/vegetarian lifestyles. If it's not for you, then move on to the next discussion. If I see threads about what meats to eat or asking for chicken recipes, I skip them b/c it doesn't relate. Why do people feel so compelled to bag on other people's choices esp if they are making the choice for health reasons whether you agree or not.

As a vegetarian, I don't care what you eat and I' not going to try to sway you to the plant based diet either. Make your own choices. Let me tell you though, you're very unlikely to get a vegetarian to change back to consuming meat again. I will never eat meat again b/c I find it repulsive and I find the industrial farming practices to be horrific and inhumane. You're not going to convince me to eat an animal's body. How about you see the word "vegan or vegetarian" and you say "oh that doesn't relate to me" and skip all the "vegetarians are stupid, man was made to eat meat" chest pounding speeches.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    As if There Weren't Enough Reasons to go Vegan.

There are no good reasons to become one of them.

There is nothing better than fresh flesh. While I do love home grown pig and beef. There are few things better than nature grown steaks that I hunt and harvest.

With any luck there will even be some wolf backstraps on the grill this fall.

Man, just thinking about fall coming is getting me anxious to go look in the freezer to see what I have left from 2011.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

optimal for what though?

Ahh, right. I always forget to worry about the dead animal's feelings.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Options
    As if There Weren't Enough Reasons to go Vegan.

There are no good reasons to become one of them.

There is nothing better than fresh flesh. While I do love home grown pig and beef. There are few things better than nature grown steaks that I hunt and harvest.

With any luck there will even be some wolf backstraps on the grill this fall.

Man, just thinking about fall coming is getting me anxious to go look in the freezer to see what I have left from 2011.

Why are you posting on a thread about veganism then?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Oooh someone posted a vegan thread, let's all jump on the "let's hate the veg lifestyle" bandwagon. Hey, if you have no intention of not giving up meat then don't give up meat but why do people ALWAYS have to bag on vegan/vegetarian lifestyles. If it's not for you, then move on to the next discussion. If I see threads about what meats to eat or asking for chicken recipes, I skip them b/c it doesn't relate. Why do people feel so compelled to bag on other people's choices esp if they are making the choice for health reasons whether you agree or not.

As a vegetarian, I don't care what you eat and I' not going to try to sway you to the plant based diet either. Make your own choices. Let me tell you though, you're very unlikely to get a vegetarian to change back to consuming meat again. I will never eat meat again b/c I find it repulsive and I find the industrial farming practices to be horrific and inhumane. You're not going to convince me to eat an animal's body. How about you see the word "vegan or vegetarian" and you say "oh that doesn't relate to me" and skip all the "vegetarians are stupid, man was made to eat meat" chest pounding speeches.

You haven't bothered to read the posts. No one said that vegans are stupid. In fact, it has been stated over and over again that if it works for you and you like it, you should do it. What has been happening is that the vegans are judging the meat eaters, saying it isn't healthy, it isn't respectful, etc.

To each his own.
  • KF500T
    KF500T Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Although I admire a vegan diet, my trainer advised me that going vegan seriously diminishes the human body's ability to maintain muscle mass the way it does when it feasts on animal protein. I was trying out the vegan diet for a little while but was getting frustrated because I wasn't getting the results I wanted. He told me it was because I wasn't eating animal protein.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Why are you posting on a thread about veganism then?
    how would you know you are wrong if we don't point it out? :)

See the post above for a good example.
  • Jessicaarceneaux
    Jessicaarceneaux Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Going vegan is one of my best decisions ever, since I started to run and lift weights regularly.

^Yep, me too!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Do mice normally eat meat? I'm not a mouse. Another poor study.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Although I admire a vegan diet, my trainer advised me that going vegan seriously diminishes the human body's ability to maintain muscle mass the way it does when it feasts on animal protein. I was trying out the vegan diet for a little while but was getting frustrated because I wasn't getting the results I wanted. He told me it was because I wasn't eating animal protein.

There are tons of high endurance athletes who thrive on a plant based diet. There is a good book called Thrive that talks about just that.

Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life
    Brendan Brazier
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    ...but did those mice lift heavy?
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

There are tons of high endurance athletes who thrive on a plant based diet. There is a good book called Thrive that talks about just that.

Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life
    Brendan Brazier

Exactly. You said endurance athletes where a lower body weight is usually favorable, like a distance runner.
This discussion has been closed.