Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

HAL 2 0 1 0 Team (new small group)

RunRideRay
RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
Helpful......Accountable..... Life-changing

The focus of this group is to get 7 to 10 folks with some serious, life changing fitness goals for 2010. I consider this the next class of 20 to 50lb losers here on MFP, and there are plenty of inspirations wandering these halls. Personally I’ll be doing a hybrid of P90X, running, and cycling, however, the “means” is not the focus but rather the “results”. The common thread will be hard work, good eating, and getting crazy fit for 2010.

An emphasis will be on the accountability part of this group. I am happy to be ½ cheerleader but each of us needs to be ½ drill sergeant too. If you are not serious about committing to life-changing goals and helping, there may be a better fit in another group. Basically, we will all slip-up, get busy, and make some bad choices and need people ready with good advice and encouragement to stay on track and never give up.

So… what’s the program?
1) Set your goals and share them
2) Share how you will get your goals (P90X, C25k, Insanity…whatever)
3) Weekly check-in on updates, I may make a chart or something too
4) Routine support and updates
5) I’d like to do progress pics at 30-60-90 days

Of course, share some information about yourself too. It will be good to know who’s all rowing in this boat. Let me know if you want to reserve a seat and we’ll leave the dock in a few weeks.

Replies

• Hi there!
    If I may, I would LOVE to reserve a seat in this group. I love being a part of all groups, but sometimes it can get to be a bit much when there are so many people.
    I am 25 years old and weight 186lbs. My main reason for being so determined (more so than the past) is because I am getting married in August and want to feel amazing on my wedding day. ( at. approx. 135lbs)
    My plan is to finish off December with some basic cardio workouts. In the new year I will be starting C25K as well as the 30 day shred (which I've already been doing once in awhile). After that I plan on moving on to turbo jam while still maintaining the running for cardio. I also plan on starting yoga in the new year.
    Well, do you think I fit the part?
    umm, let me know?
  • Hanni
    Hanni Posts: 158 Member
    Hi

Please can I join too?
    I am also member of a few groups but they are so big, you just lose the overview.

I am 26 years old, live in London, have a boyfriend, 2 kittens and a horse.
    I used to be a healthy weight a few years back andhave completely lost my way with food. I now weight 176 lbs.

I have been on MFP for a year now and lost really well at the beginning (5 lbs in 4 weeks), then I lost my way during last Christmas and never got back on track.

In 2010, I finally want to reach my goal weight. I have about 48 lbs to lose.

We bought a Wii Fit and hardly used it, I have so many fitness games for it and want to pick that up again.
    I also hope that my horse will keep me exercising more.We have finally settled together and I almost ride him every day now.
    I also want to get back into running at lunch time at work. I, too, would like to start with yoga.

I am also seriously reducing my carb intake as I am very much addicted to pasta rice and bread and those are the reasons that ruin my healthy eating attempts.

Would love to join your group.

H x
  • RunRideRay
    Cool, welcome!
  • TracyJean2012
    TracyJean2012 Posts: 517 Member
    I would also like to join this group. I have another group too but its starting to fizzle out and I need the help to keep me on track. I really took this serious back in Nov and since then I have lost 17 pounds and thats great for me my first goal is to be at 230 by the end of the year and then I will set more goals.

I love going to the gym and working out but I have a neck injury and I can't do anything til that heals and its driving me nuts. I watch what I eat and keep to my calorie count since I can't go to the gym.

If there is anything anyone can send me for ideas to keep going please tell me. I'm tired of this weight and I want it gone.
  • RunRideRay
    Up to 3 now, anyone else interested?
  • TracyJean2012
    i wanted to ask when do you want to do weigh ins? I'm doing mine right now every sat morning with my other group. I also have no way to post pics. Is there anything else you want to do?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    I think I'm up to this. At the begginning of this year I was 336 lb lazy *kitten*...I ran my first 5K this past Saturday, and I have another one scheduled for late Janurary. I can honestly say I am in the best shape I've been in since my JR year of HS when I was a three sport letterman.

That being said there is still some work to do to get where I want to be. I've been working out hard for about the past 12 weeks, So I'm going to take about the next week off to let my self heal up a bit...plus I have this cold I'm trying to shake.

Right now there are three things I want to accomplish in 2010:
    -The Biggest running race in this area is The River Run, which is part of The River Festival. The longest race there is a 10K. I not only want to run in that, but do well. It's in May so there is plenty of time to get there. In route to getting ready for this race I would like to get my 5K time below 30 Min (my first was 34:05)

-I would like to do A pull-up. I know it sounds simple. But I am still 40lbs over-weight. To me, doing a pull up is an awesome display of strength. In the month I've been trying to do one, I've got to the point I can hang with my knees pulled up for all of 9 seconds. Lots of work to do on this one.

-This Summer, during the climbing season I am going to climb Long's Peak on the Front range of the Rockies. This requires a 17 hour round trip hike, most of it above 11,000 ft. I'm not specificly training for this. I figure if I can continue to improve my running the endurance needed to do this will take care of itself. Although I have incorporated stair running in my strength training routine. The major obstacle to this one is logistics and money!

Other things I've been thinking about but not ready to commit to are a Triathalon, and maybe a Half Marathon later in the year.

If i do all that, and continue to improve my eating habits, these last 40 lbs should take care of themselves. Over the Christmas Break I am going to have my BMI measured with calibers so I know exactly where I need to get to.

2009 was a year of learning. 2010 is going to be a year of refining.
  • RunRideRay
    Stormchaser, I think Saturday is fine. I also recommend we do a Fri, Sat, Sun weigh in and average them, weigh-in first thing in the AM, and average them togethor. The scale is evil and will quickly sap our motivation if we let it.

Iplay, I am so glad you are here. I've read some of your posts and like your humor and candid nature. I am excited to help with this final transformation and know I can make a difference. I had a serious bout with obesity 15 years ago and WON, big time. I've got tons of experience running too, and will help you reach goals you didn't know were possible. Cool!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    and to Storm Chaser, I've been a trained spotter for 9 years. I've just never had the extra coin or time to drive across the prarie looking for storms. But I can't wait for spring, baseball and severe weather are some of my two favorite things.
  • javengreen
    javengreen Posts: 18 Member
    I would love to join! I've never been a part of a group here, but it would help hold me accountable!

This year I want to lose 45 pounds to get to 130. I'm doing that by:
    1) Planning out meals weekly, with calorie counting for the day before I even go shopping!
    2) Committing to moving every day
    Specifically: Group exercise classes for weight training, Running 3+ times a week, other light cardio 2 times a week

A little about me: I'm a college student in NC. I've always been overweight but it's time for that to change! I have an awesome boyfriend of 2 years and a wonderful twin sister.
  • TracyJean2012
    here are the goals I have set so far

starting weight--250
    current weight--233
    goal weight--170

first goal is to 230 by the end of the year
    second goal of around 200 by May 2010
    last goal 170 by Dec 2010

reward for goal weight is going on a cruise (and my 35th birthday)
  • RunRideRay
    Excellent, up to 5 now. Assuming I can count, which I'll prove I can't do very well :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • This is awesome! I'm really excited for this group!!!
    Rainman - if you want us to weigh in 3 days a week and avg out, should we all post on Sundays at some point?!
    And for those of us who can post pictures, is anyone up for posting a starting pic!?
    Where is everyone from?! I'm from Dundas, Ontario, Canada
    Lindsey

ps - I think we're actually up to SIX!!!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Hi! I would like to join if there is still room! I am determined to get my running groove back! I injured my foot in fall of 2008 and I started to run again in September.
    My goals:

I would like to lose 16 lbs by my 10 mile race I have set up on April 10.

I would like to set a PR for my 10 miler. MY current PR is 1:29:42.

I would like to run the Eugene 1/2 Marathon in May and set a PR for that too. My current PR for a 1/2 is 2:06:16.

I plan on reaching my goals by running, doing strength training videos, biking when gets warmer, and other various exercise videos.
  • RunRideRay
    Welcome Nichole, I've seen you popping in on the MFP runners club board too. This is a great place for some running goals.

Sure we can form some rules….

> Post weekly weigh-in on Saturday, and I'll leave the averaging as a personal choice
    > WEEKLY POSTING, I want something simple, easy to track, and will make us conscience about weekly choices. My initial proposal is this….
    xxx lbs Current Weight
    xx fitness hours goal
    xx fitness hours actual
    xx days at or below calorie target
    xx days without late night snacking
    > FIRST POST will be Saturday January 2nd, and only fill in the current weight.
    > I’ll create a chart each week and post it to the board.

I am open to opinions on progress pics. From my perspective they are an amazing motivator. My challenge is the initial one’s are usually quite humbling, but once progess is made I don’t mind showing where I have been. I am also a very discrete person so I plan to create a simple external blog to post the progress pics and historical data for reference. my proposal….
    1) Progress pics will always be a personal choice…. and not mandatory
    IF you choose to do them
    2) Take initial pics in whatever pose/outfits you choose. Swimsuit, favorite outfit, whatever… No issue with removing faces or other features that identify us. Keep them to yourself until 30-day
    3) Progress pics at initial, 30, 60, and 90 days.
    4) At the 30-day posting, we’ll work out some way to get them onto the external blog.
    5) I’ll email each person the blog link, so it won’t be a public post here on MFP

Any thoughts??? It’s a way to drive some accountability with progress pics without it being a public centerpiece. It is difficult to see change day-day and get discouraged with our expectations. With some hard work those pics will show the difference, and inspire all of us to keep charging ahead.

Whew… that’s all the rules I care to write tonight. Sound fair? Please let me know because I don’t want to dictate but love putting a good proposal on the table..

Raymond
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Would love to join in if there is still room.
    I still have over 50 pounds to lose. ( possibly more....just didn't want to set my goal to far from reach) I am a big boned solid gal, but who knows maybe I could drop down to the 150's if I keep it up! I have lost 37 pounds in 2009. I hit a stand still for a few months over the summer. I started running this year, told myself that I never seen a chubby runner, so that must be a good workout. I couldn't even run for 2 minutes in April of 2009. I just ran my second 5K tonight. I also do p90x, just finished the first round of the lean version, but decided to pick up a little more cardio to help with excess weight. I think I will do another round of p90x in the new year. I try to do the ellpitical (5 miles) every other day, if I can't get out to run. I also do a few cross train videos to fill in. I am so serious about this....I am doing this for me, once and for all...and accountablility and a push sometimes would help tremendously. I have always struggled with weight.
    I too, want to be able to do a pull-up....right now I use a bar stool to assist.
    I'm a 43 year old woman, married and Mom of three, 2 are still at home. I also have 2 grandchildren.
    I can be a pretty good cheer-leader, and a drill sergeant if I have too....so if you still have openings....I'm in, Lets Bring IT!!!
  • RunRideRay
    Wow, great job on the 37lbs. That really is amazing. Welcome aboard! Running is so great, it really sucks at first. Then, before you know it, you have a hobby and not just a workout you force yourself to do.

OK.... a little about me. I am a 37 year old who has had the ups and downs of weight. I am happily married for 18+ years and my wife and I both started running about 13 years ago. We have 2 kids and are probably the gold standard of ordinary. In my mid twenties I ended up getting to around 260lbs and had enough, and just started running. Sorta like Forrest Gump. So.... 13 marathons, and maybe 30+ triathlons later I became super fit and lost about 60 lbs. My keys to success were a great support group, hard work, knowledge, and faith. The last 5 years I have lost tons of ground to gantt charts and taco bell and want to get it back. It's sorta now or never for me. The rest of my life is here, today.

So, that's where you all come in. I need some peeps to help me BRING IT!! each week.
  • RunRideRay
    Nichole, and all you runners I want to find a way to get that into our weekly tracking too. I just need to get a table organized to make it easy, and flexible for each of us. Give me a few weeks to draft something up, I am pretty good at tracking stuff. Those are great goals too Nichole. I think the 10 mile to 1/2 marathon are the best races to do. They don't tear you up like a marathon and they also don't hurt as bad as blazing heart rate 5k.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Hello rainman! I am wondering if I can come join your journey? I really do not have a whole lot of weight to lose but I want to do the P90X program and push myself along with others! I completed the insane Insanity series around a month ago while posting to the Insanity group.They were fabulous, the workouts were insane and I want to do something extreme that is going to keep me in shape! I am dang near 51 yrs old and the old saying use it or lose it is sooooo true that I refuse to give up!!!
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Rainman...Dude You rock:bigsmile: 13 marathons and 30+ triathalons, super job, I know who to come to for advise! I am wanting to train for a half, it's next November. I really do enjoy running now, I was just talking to my husband about that last night, I think I like it so much now, because I had so much trouble doing it when I first started...I took it so personal, and told myself it wasn't an option to fail....keep moving those feet!
    Have you done any of the 90x workouts yet? They are kick butt, that's what I love about them..you know your not wasting any time. What version are you trying? I thought maybe I should try the classic, but I also thought doubles might be a good option, and I can add the running for my double days..., snow here on the ground this morning, but I am still going to try to run outdoors at least once a week through winter.
    Christmas parties start today, but will check in as I can
This discussion has been closed.