Tattoos, yes or no?

Options

Replies

• dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I love mine!! Personally I think that they should have meaning to them but as long as they are tasteful and well done I see nothing wrong with them!!!

Newtattoo-1.jpg

Mine represents my children (2 living children and my angel baby). Already planning one for my wrist that will be mine and my husband's zodiac signs!!! And thinking about my ankle/foot one I want to get one day!!! And I got my first one when I was 36!!!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Not for me. I think I'd look trashy with one. Also I don't like needles and pain so there's no appeal in getting a tattoo for me. If you wanna get one, go right ahead.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Yes! (but I'm biased... ; ) )

Research your artist, make sure they have a good portfolio! Remember: You get what you pay for! :)
  • Xstitcher74
    Xstitcher74 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Not for me. :wink:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get one but I don't know where I'd put it, since I wouldn't want it to show at certain times, like weddings, etc. Also, when I see women or men covered in them, yes it's MY opinion, but I think they look trashy. So, no, I probably won't ever get one myself. To each his own.
  • grumpy2032
    grumpy2032 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I Love mine ! I am over 50 yrs old and I would get more if I could ! make it tasteful and you will love it forever.
  • Sarahwillow
    Sarahwillow Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hell yes to the tattoos!!!! I have 8 with a sleeve started...*sigh* I love my tattoo's, I love the opposite impression I give ppl that think tattoo people are disrespectful and unkind a new way of thinking!!!
  • aussie_nic_getting_fit
    Options
    why are you worries about what anyone will think?.. a tattoo is a personal decision and an expression of YOU.

presonally i love tattoos. I have 9 and plan on getting more... however I respect non tattooed people and there opinions also.

just make sure that you you choose a position on your body you re happy with and a design you will be happy with FOR LIFE.

good luck :)
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I got my first tat at 18 and it still looks great..Once I first got it, my artist told me to rub vasoline on and around it twice daily. Once in the morning and once at night before I went to bed...it moisturizes it and promotes healing. What I got was a green armband that entirely goes all around my arm. After 15 years of having it, I'm still happy with my choice.... Before you get it, once you choose your design, ask yourself if it would embarrass you when you're 50 and don't get it if it would.....
  • OrchidBetty
    OrchidBetty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I currently have six tattoos.

Personal Opinion:
    No names (unless they're of your kids or someone deceased),
    None on the face, neck or hands, no logos (ie Nike, or "No Fear"...etc), no 4-20 leaves etc. And even though they're popular, I don't like 'em on the boobs.
    and don't get any with any jail house connections -- spider webs, tear drops etc.
    But don't take my too seriously, I have a "tramp stamp" (aka lower back). I guess that place is considered tacky now! Opps... :laugh:

Be careful, they are addicitive!

good luck!
  • heronlover
    heronlover Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have two. I got my first one when I was 50 - I call it my midlife crisis. It's a small one (2") on my lower leg - above my ankle. I got my second one 3 years later - on my forearm near my elbow. Both can be covered by clothing. I used to think they were trashy when I saw them on people, too, but I love mine. I work for a conservative law firm, and we're not supposed to have them, but everyone does. A woman I work with used to cover hers (on her wrist) with a bandaid every day when she worked at Marine World (they wouldn't let the employees have them).
  • KrazyInLove
    KrazyInLove Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love tattoos.....i want to get a girly half sleeve. I have two tattoos right now and think they bring out my personality. Its like telling a story on your body.
  • xkdrowex
    xkdrowex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have three. One fairly large one on my upper back with a butterfly I designed and my kids' names. The other is a lower back one that is kind of corny (tribal and a butterfly) I got when I was 18 and I am going to have it reworked and made into something different. The other I got in April and it goes from my right hip up almost to my right armpit. It is scrolls and lilies and I love it. All of my ink is covered when I am dressed and I don't care if it looks like crap when I'm 70 because lets face it... the rest of me probably won't look so hot either. Do what's right for you.
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Have four... two of which I designed myself with very specific meaning. Want several more. Watch where you get them if they will interfere with your employment. Hubby and I just got wedding bands done. Neither of us can wear rings at our work so now we have them always and since I have been married almost 20 years. I'm pretty comfy with getting the rings. ;) If I ever have to cover the ring tat, I will slip on a couple of bands... simple.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    Tattoos are amazing, I have one and would love loads more, but lack of funds prevent this :( Go for it!
  • MaryKaye1959
    Options
    I really like a beautiful tattoo. My trainer has a great Celtic symbol across her upper back and it is awesome. I would love to get a tattoo. What holds me back? I keep thinking about what it's going to look like when I'm 80. LOL Maybe I won't care when I'm 80.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I love them.

I have 3 and thinking about getting a 4th one. Because of my job they have to be in places that I can easily hide. All 3 mean something very important to me.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I'm very conservative, so personally I don't like tattoos for myself. I do think something small and hidden can be tasteful. Just be careful where you get it. I saw this lady one time with a tattoo behind her ear. I asked what it was and she said, "It used to be a butterfly, but I got it when I was young and stupid and it stretched out over time." Keep in mind, this lady was only in her 30s...

Also, the idea of having something on my body FOREVER scares the crap out of me... plus you'll have it when you're really old and wrinkly... eww.

I have had my first tattoos since I was 17 and I am now 39. I have weighed from 95 - 300 pounds and neither one of them stretched over time. They are still very much intact and able to be recognized for what design they are.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    i like beautiful tattoos, designs that compliment the part of the body they are put on.

i don't know if just an outline of a heart with an awareness ribbon would be that cool of a tattoo.

i am in no way trying to be rude and i understand that it is meaningful to you but it just doesn't sound that good looking to me.

where are you getting it? is it small, just floating in some random place? is it embellished? i hope you don't get mad that i said that i'm just being honest with my opinion as a tattooed person who has seen many many tattoos.

i tend to not like random little tattoos that look like they could have been drawn on with a pen and some markers.

again, just personal opinion.

oh and also my personal taste/opinion:
    no tribal
    no geckos
    no panther
    no chinese writing
    no las vegas style poker cards skull gun flash art
    no disney
    no roadrunner, wylie coyote, bugs bunny, daffy etc

sorry if i offended anyone, just one opinion among many

My very first tattoo was of Tazmanian Devil and my graduation year. It is symbolic and meaningful to me as I was so hyper that my nickname was Taz and he is my favorite cartoon character.

I still love it to this day and my mom took me to get it. <3