Tattoos, yes or no?

Options

Replies

• LiveLoveHunt
    Options
    I love em. I have 4 and working on saving up for my fifth. My first one is on my stomach, its an orange lily with a tribal. It came off the wall though and has no meaning, I will probably get it covered eventually. I have a heart I designed and "Love" on my wrists, respectively. I got those for my dad, who committed suicide. And on my left chest/shoulder area I got 9 birds, for my cousin who died this past spring. My next one I'm getting is lyrics from my husband and I's song, on my left side/rib area.

Don't get something you will regret, it needs to have meaning. Go to a reputable shop. And make sure you're job allows them, if it is to be seen. You can see 3 of my 4 and although it's in the government sector, they don't care. Some more professional places require them to be covered so you might think about that as well. I love all mine though and don't regret any of them. Even my first one, it's what I wanted at the time and I knew i could always cover it up with something in the future.
  • LiveLoveHunt
    Options
    no they are so trashy. don't do it.

To some maybe, but to each is own. They can look tasteful too. So I would speak for yourself.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I love the way they look but don't have any of my own because my husband doesn't like how they look on women and I want him to keep eyeballing me when I show some skin. :bigsmile:
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Personally I believe that if it's something you want you should go for it. However, my company was hiring a new person in the office and in checking her background they found a picture on Facebook of her posing showing her tattoos. She was no longer considered for the position based on that one picture, even though they never saw them when she was professionally dressed for the interviews. Moral of the story is to be sure you can live with them if you get them.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I have been a mortgage banker and now an account executive. I have 9 different tats and honestly most people I know whether they practice law, doctors, preachers have them. It's a personal preference. If you want it go for it. A tat doesn't define you..unless it's on your face..lol
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My picture is out dated, that's from 10 years ago, I now have a full sleeve, a half sleeve and some smaller pieces. If anyone asks "should I get a tattoo" i say "no" simply because if you have to ask then you are not sold on the idea. A tattoo is something that is on you FOREVER if you don't know exactly what you want or feel you might regret it then don't do it. If you are worried about what other people think then definitely don't get one because there will always be haters.

The choice is yours, no one else can make it for you but think it through first and make sure it's something you really want not just a passing trend.
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. I have 9 tattoos, one on my ankle (best friend has the same one), love on my wrist, butterfly on the back of my neck (for my daughter), my maiden name down my spine, 2 dragons on my ribs (I love dragons), a phoenix on my left wrist, his/her skull with flames lower back (for my husband and I), and my daughters name going down my upper left arm with pictures to represent the 4 elements of life. I've wanted tattoos since I was 16 and didn't get my first one until I was 28 or so. I realized I've always wanted them and once I got the first one, I couldn't stop. I work in the medical field and there the only one I have to keep hidden is the phoenix, which I just use an ace bandage wrap for now, but might buy some bracletts or something. I'm able to show the other one on my other wrist because it's smaller, just over a 1/2 dollar in size. I don't have any regrets and I will eventually get more. If you truely want one, especailly if you've wanted one for a while, then go for it. Make sure you do your research too.
  • SARRY562
    SARRY562 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    LOVE TATTOOO..
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    no they are so trashy. don't do it.

AGREED!
    1. you'll look like an ex-convict (or a convict currently in the system)
    2. good luck getting a job, and if you have one you can kiss it goodbye.

ugh tattoos.
    gross.
    *shudder*
  • ohmykai
    ohmykai Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have one and Yes, in my opinion. Depends what it is... and the meaning behind it.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    nothing's worse than a meaningless tattoo!

I think lots of things are worse than a meaningless tattoo.

Cancer.
    Genocide.
    starving children in Africa/China/Somalia/youname it
  • Liz_ok
    Options
    Personally I dont have a problem with tatts - I have 2 of them and once I lose this weight I plan on getting another one. My only advice to you is that if you are going to get one, make sure it is something that has meaning to you, that way you dont regret it later :smile:
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    Options
    same here and i have neck and hand tattoos. I love where i work. AND I work with the public :)
  • Liz_ok
    Options
    If you have long hair, have you thought about the back of your neck? Easy to hide with your hair and just put your hair up when you feel like showing it off!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Poo poo tattoo...me no likey. Hurt so bad
  • letsgethealthy
    letsgethealthy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have tattoos. To me they should mean something to you. As an example my next tattoos will be 1 to represent my mom and her fight with cancer and 1 for my children.
  • teletubbie87
    teletubbie87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It is extremely up to you.
    Most of my family, including parents have tattoos.. I personally don't have any,
    however there's people who totally rock them. =) Like some people mentioned before,
    make sure it is something meaningful, and if it is a design made for you, even better
    bc it will be unique.

Please, get something you will like and not regret as you get older.
    Go to a shop not just a random person, or else you'd get a low quality tattoo
    that will probably fade very soon and disappoint you.

Good luck =)
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have 2, one a homsa (meaing i'm blessed & protected) on the back of my neck, i got it for my 35th bday. this year on my 36th I got a symbol that means hakuna matata (no worries) on my ankle. They are both so "me". I have no regrets. I got them sober, by myself, for me. I didn't get a bandwagon tattoo, i got something for me, I love them both. Think of your favorite thing....if there is any doubt, don't do it. It wasn't painful, irritating, but I was far from miserable.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    They're so permanent.

Excellent artwork should last a long time. Like the Sistine Chapel, or the Mona Lisa.

it's your skin. Worrying what other people think is futile.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have one and would get another in a heart beat!