WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY

Options

Replies

• zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hi-oops sorry about that, I guess I've been away too long.

I just wanted to report that I managed to stay within calories so far and that I enjoyed my Zumba class. Yesterday was my first day exercising in over a month. I'm hoping that getting back on mfp will keep me honest and in line.

debieanne, I have to say I wa very impressed about your climbing 7 flights!! That's a LOT of steps. Very inspiring.

heather, wonderful news that you are going to exercise classes. The hardest part is getting started and being the new person. I'm sure you'll feel much more comfortable very soon.
    Zaza
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    Hello ladies!

Well, I'm feeling pretty good today.

This morning I managed to (barely) get through Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred dvd. That sure raised my heart rate.

Later I decided to log my lunch and 2 snacks that I was packing to take with me to work. This time I wanted to make sure that I didn't go over my calorie count for the day. I'm really glad I did that, I was able to adjust what I was packing. When I was happy with what I logged, I packed my lunch bag for work. I told myself, "okay, Debbie, you will eat only what you have packed. You will NOT hit the vending machine, you will NOT eat what anyone offers you, you will only eat what you have logged."

At lunchtime, I had my big mixed greens salad and milk. I realized that halfway through my lunch hour that I was just sitting there with people chatting. I knew that I could "seize the moment" and go outside for a walk with the rest of my lunch hour. So off I went. The air was cold, which made me walk even faster. I came back to work feeling energized and ready to work.

Mid afternoon, I could hear people hitting the vending machine. I could hear some of the ladies complaining that they were tired and wished it was quitting time. I could hear a few tear into their goodies in the desk drawers.

What did I do? Well, I went to the lunch room cut up my big juicy apple and made myself a cup of green tea.

When I returned to my desk, I felt the energy boost again.

I will have to do that again.

Yes, I do feel pretty good today.

I hope all of you had a "pretty good" day too.
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: A sad day!! I told my youngest, 9 year old Stephen, that the tooth fairy is in fact ME. He was sooo disappointed he cried and so did I...He's trying to get over it, but he admits it is hard. Out of 14 children he is the first one that reacted to the news. I've already decided that this doesn't give me license to eat for comfort, instead I'm going to get on the treadmill after supper!:flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    mamacindy - I'm in Newton (near Hickory). My son graduated from Elon.

msh - LOVE the use for a tampon box. Just loved it. Thanks for the smile. Hey, you got your food in, that's what's important!

I really love my bread machine, too. Just haven't used it since moving to NC mainly because I can't find active dry yeast in the jar, only bread yeast. Sometimes I do use the yeast for other things and need to add it to liquids.

yup sheila, dh is short for darling (or d*** as the case may be) husband. You were so right! What I like about Outback is that they will make your order to the way you want. Most restaurants will do that, but they also have something on the web that tells you what are healthier options. Hope you have a great dinner!

Suzy - I, too, usually take Sundays off. Sometimes I may do a little workout like maybe the hula hooping on the Wii, but most times I take the day off. Your body needs at least one day of rest anyway.

tootsie - welcome! Don't give up!!! Debbie is so right -- don't go too low on the calories

Betty - welcome! Put up your feet and pour youself a cup of (decaf) tea!

kcwriter - I usually jot down on a piece of paper the food I eat then at night I log everything. There are times when I know what I'm going to have to eat the next morning or for dinner that night, so I might log it in early. Just really depends

arborsong - hope you're feeling better fast!

Debbie - go back over your menu. There have been times when I've accidentally entered an item twice. See where the majority of your calories are coming from. This will help you in the future. Like I honestly thought I was doing so well one day and had a sweet potato. Then I found out that it has so many calories! In add'n to lots of good stuff, the calorie count is high. Here I was thinking I was doing so well. Learned for the future. Seriously, hun, don't beat yourself up over it. As long as it doesn't happen every day, it's really not a reason to concern yourself a whole lot. As a matter of fact, it's good to sometimes "shock" your system by giving it too many calories (calorie cycling). Sounds like you did so well the day you logged your snacks. What an inspiring post! Thanks for sharing. I KNEW you could do it!

Mary - yup, if you weigh yourself at different times of the day, you will get a different number. My WiiFit usually tells me something like "yesterday, you took your test at X time, you should do it at the same time every day". Has to do with the fluctuations in water retention.

You know, I've found that if I log all my food at the end of the day, 9 times out of 10 I'm low on the calories. Occasionally I do go over. but if I log my food as I go along, I find that I eat about 1200 calories.

Here's a question (really, a few). Is there someone in this group who can review a person's menu and make recommendations? At least for myself I know that sometimes I can't see the forest because of the trees....lol

Also, why is it that when I'm searching for a food, I get hits no where near related to what I'm searching for. Like tonight I was searching for a certain type of dark chocolate. I got hits about crab cakes (what does THAT have to do with chocolate?) and hits on coffee creamer (again, what does THAT have to do with chocolate?)

When entering a food in the database, is there some place where you can put notes, like "from May/June issue"

The other day I was searching for some type of meat, I don't remember which type but let's use "beef" as the example, but I got hits on things like "beef, raw". Now who in their right mind would eat raw meat?

Here's hoping everyone has a wonderful evening and day tomorrow.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Debieanne – You’re fantastic for using the stairs. Besides the calorie burn you are also saving the environment one flight of stairs at a time. The polar bears and I thank you. Lol

Becky- Thank you. I’ve been trying to keep up with everyone’s post. I keep word open and just keep adding and updating replies as I go.

Kc – Congratulations on the 2 lbs lost! That’s a great start to a new year.

Debbie – You did good today at work. With all those goodies and snacks around you it took determination and you did it.

Doobiedoo – I’ve never admitted to being the tooth fairy or anything else. It must have been sad for him.

Exermom- The food diary is fustrating at times and sometimes several times a day.

Obesity in general - It's a sign of the times and the modern lifestyle and the cutbacks in education. I had gym from 5th grade through 12th every day, every year. My kids had it in 6th, 7th and 9th. That is it! If parents can't afford recreational activities for their kids or if they both work and couldn't get them there, the kids get no exercise. So many city kids too with no room to play catch in the yard. This is (obviously) a pet peeve of mine. Doing reports on pediatric patients all day it kind of gets to me how many things are a product of modern society from obesity, mental illness, sore backs and etc. Well, enough of my soap box for today. It's time for me to cook a healthy filling dinner in 30 minutes or less.

Have a great day everyone!

Jeannie
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say I am still trying to keep my healthy goals going. I haven't had much time to post but I sure do enjoy all you ladies. Your support is so motivating! Happy Wednesday, tomorrow.
  • aisser
    aisser Posts: 232
    Options
    Hi everyone I have met my goals for another day. This does seem to make it easier to stay on my diet and get my water in. I went to line dance today that is fun, good exersise. I go on Tuesday and Thursday my Mom got me into it she is 78 years old she has been doing it for about 8 years now me only 2 years.
    Went to see my brother after dance he had a bad fall about 7 months ago. He fell 2 stories onto concrete onto the back of his head. He had to have brain surgary he is out of danger but still has a long way to go. My daughter took care of the horses today so I could spend time with my brother Today.
    Everyone have a safe and good night!!:smile:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Hey, all! Just wanted to say hi - it's been a very busy day, and the rest of the week looks the same. Got my exercise in and ate well under my calories. Hope all are hanging in there!
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello,

It's been a good day - stayed below my calories and still smokefree:bigsmile: :bigsmile

My husband wanted chili mac for dinner which worked for me. Making from scratch without a mix kept the calories and sodium down which I have to watch - I retain water even with my blood pressure medicine. I had some Progresso Soup for lunch - low calories but almost 1/2 my daily sodium. I see now I need to leave the canned soups alone:sick: and make my own. :smile:

I made blueberry muffins this week but used canned pumpkin in place of the oil, non fat dry milk with water and one egg instead of the two the recipe on the box called for. I believe someone on this site recommended using pumpkin - I had never tried it but they turned out really good. I also baked them in mini muffin pans so I reduced the calories with the ingredients and reduced the muffin size by a third:bigsmile: I will definitely be using pumpkin from now on.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Have a good evening:flowerforyou:

Nancy:heart:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hey, that may be me who recommended the pumpkin. I use it for the oil and sometimes for the eggs. You can do two egg whites for one egg as well.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,971 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: exermom, if you post that you would like people on this thread to look at your food diary and make suggestions, I'm sure you would get friendly comments
    this is a very kind group of women---i don't know if any of us is any more expert than the others.....we've all found things that work for us......i looked at your food diary and the first thing I noticed was sugary stuff. I don't eat sweets because i found that the longer i don't eat them, the less I want them, but there are other people who believe that if you don't give yourself treats, you'll feel deprived and eventually over do.........the other thing is that I eat very few processed foods and try to stay closer to clean eating. On the other hand, I've been using the Isagenix program since May and two of my meals are Isagenix shakes so i don't include as much traditional food as other people. My food diary is public so you're welcome to see what I'm eating.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: aisser, I love line dancing, too. how cool that your mom dances too. there are women in my classes that are her age and older.....it is such great exercise for the body and the brain

:flowerforyou: Nancy, I'm so glad that you've continued to be smoke free.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Heather, it's good to hear from you again and to hear about your exercise program.......keep it up

Best wishes to all for a great day tomorrow......we can do this one day at a time.
    :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart: :heart: Barbie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I managed to wade through all the posts since Monday. We are going to have to change the name of this thread to "Madison Square Garden.":noway: We are gathering a pretty big crowd.

Just a couple of specific replies:

ZaZa54--Welcome back!! I am so glad you posted. I was thinking about you the other day, but I couldn't remember the digits in your login so I couldn't search for you!! I hope you can get back on track in the new year.

Regarding the Pilates Twist Board, I didn't feel any soreness from my first session, so I will add some more repetitions to my next session. So far, so good.

Exermom--Regarding your comment about searching and getting hits on seemingly unrelated food. That usually happens if one of the words in the food you are searching for also appears in the unrelated foods description. As far as the description of Beef -raw--there is a logical explanation. When you are measuring meat, it is important to know whether the amount, for example, 4 oz, is raw weight, or cooked weight. There is a certain amount of shrinkage from cooking, and the nutritional info for 4 oz cooked, is diff than for the same amount raw. Since it is pretty hard to measure meat at "cooked" weight until you actually perform cookery, if you think about it, measuring based upon raw actually is easier.

I am worn out, and have still not had any dinner, so I am going to go nuke some veggies and a Tilapia filet and go to bed.:yawn:

Barb
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

You know, reading these posts in the morning instead of the paper is so much better for the soul. I love to read about positive things before beginning my day.

exermom - we love our bread machine too. I am baffled as to why you can't get your yeast in the jar. We are able to easily buy it here in Canada. Perhaps you could google the Fleishman's web site and see if you can find what stores they distribute the jars too? Or post a question that you and others are having a difficult time finding it.

Regarding your food recommendations, We cook from scratch all of our meals (have for many years). We don't ever add salt when cooking, we use spices and herbs to enhance the flavor of our foods, the salt shaker never makes it to the table either. If you cook from scratch, you know exactly what you are eating. The less process food you eat, the better. Also, if you keep sugar intake to a minimum you will find that you can shake off your cravings easier. Once I eat something sweet, I just want to keep eating.

Jeannie - "Obesity in General" - I agree with your thoughts on childhood obesity. The children of today have so many obstacles in front of them to deter them from being physically active. It is quite sad that our nation's, (Canada included) is doing this to our children. When my daughters were kids, we would "make" them go out and play in the yard until supper time (after homeward was done of course). They would moan and groan because they wanted to sit and watch t.v. Well, within a few short minutes of being outside we would see them running, climbing, laughing, interacting with the neighbors kids. We would have to "make" them come in for dinner. They thank us now for encouraging them to be physically active, as lifestyle they continue to keep up.

aisser - I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I wish him a full recovery from his injuries. My brother in law, years ago, was several stories up on a scaffold above a cement sidewalk. The person who put the scaffold together, did so incorrectly. It fell apart, he fell too. He landed on his feet, like a cat. Not good as he forced his spine to derail like a train. To this day, he lives with chronic pain and has steel rods on either side of his spine.

I enjoyed reading about your line dancing and am now inspired to check into what I can join here.

committed - Congratulation on still being smoke-free!!!! Yeah!!!!

I was glad to read that you cooked your meal from scratch. As I already stated to exermom on this post, watch the sodium counts on the nutrition labels. I thought I would make a bowl of soup the other day after being out in the cold. I "thought" I had some "healthy" soup cans in the cupboard., they brag on the label about being "low fat and a healthy choice". Well, I looked at the nutrition label and was shocked when I read that the sodium count was almost 300. I put that can down real fast and found something healthier to eat.

Well must get ready to work out now.

Have a healthy and happy day everyone!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Just a quick post as phone lines and DSL are down here in Boise. Qwest guarantees they'll be back up by Jan 17th!
    Have become SOOOO dependent on the Internet and MFP would have to go to an internet cafe IF I didn't have my company AirCard.

4 days to fix? What the heck!
    ;}
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :smile: Good morming everyone!:smile: I hope you are all having a good day.

We've been busy getting ready to reassign the bedrooms :tongue: so my son has his own room again--he needs one AND deserves one!:happy: I'll be getting the bonus room, which we are going to wall off (we have a couple of options--we want it to be easily removed). I will then have room for my workout mat, etc. and won't have to use the living room for everything (a problem on the weekends when everyone is here!).:happy: :happy: :happy:

After almost 3 months of applying for jobs I got 2 calls this week. One is from the seasonal job I had and it starts on Feb. 1, and the other was from PetSmart. :smile: I have an interview there tomorrow (Thursday). I'm going to see what it's about because I'd really rather have a permanent job. I don't like being out of work--even if it IS only temporary!:noway:

And I found that it is VERY hard to find a job:grumble: I get depressed--not for me so much because I knew that at least I'd be going back to my seasonal job, but for those with no prospects in sight!:cry: Especially those who need enough income to take care of a family--I only need enough to contribute because we are sharing a house to save on expenses.

Ah well, I guess I've rambled on enough for now. Back to clearing rooms:tongue: and moving furniture!

Take care, everyone. Stay safe and warm--and dry!:smile:

Oh, before I forget--I've been doing really well at keeping to my goals--drinking LOTS of water and exercising every day!:happy:
  • debieanne
    Options
    good midmorning i am listening and watching anderson copper about haiti we know people on missions over there and than friends of my know people on missions over there many many prayers going out to haiti.
    i am not doing good at night with logging in i seem to be going over a little with my calories for a couple of days.. i am getting in my exerciseing.. i am loving the leslie walking tapes i find myself while i am cooking and doing dishes ill walk inplace and fit in some of her moves.. this is good .. ok tea break over going to work tonight everyone have a good day and peace be with everyone love debi and family
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I entered a very long ( for me and even organized ) post this AM with commentary and news fron the home front. It did not post I do not know why! I did all the usual things.

That said; I am at work now and do not have the time to repost.:mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
    :laugh: Best laid plans of mice and women..........................................................

Thank you all for your helpful posts thay brighten my day and lighten the load!:flowerforyou:

Everyone have a great day. Prayers for Aissers brother and his family. :heart: Alice
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good afternoon. I hope that everyone's day is going well. I have some wonderful news: my husband has found a job. He begins training on Friday. He will be working third shift so he will still be able to go to the gym with me in the evenings.:smile:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good afternoon. I hope that everyone's day is going well. I have some wonderful news: my husband has found a job. :smile:

:happy: That's wonderful! :happy: Its so good to be able to work.

I have an interview tomorrow. I hope it works out!:smile:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies,
    Well I think I am back for good. Back to normal that is. I have eaten well today and I even got on the treadmill for 30 minutes while watching tape of Biggest Loser. I made the girls a batch of muffins and they are sitting on counter and I do not even want one. Yesterday I would have eaten whole batch probably. I am drinking my water and doing that apple vinegar stuff. That stuff really works. I just feel different inside today like before the holidays. we have several trips planned for the next few months and I want to get back on track and lose a few more pounds before those trips. I want to be healthy and be able to enjoy myself. Great work for those of you losing and for those not just keep on going.
    vicki m