Black Team Week #1 Challenge thread-

Options

Replies

• retrobaby
    retrobaby Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hey Team!

Lazy day today...this cold is kicking my rear, so I'm taking it easy for a couple days to rest up and self-medicate so I can be back in the game next week (here's hoping). Had one burst of productivity where I went to take Test #2, which I think I bombed. Definitely bummed about that, but I just have to wait and see if it's as bad as I think. (For those not in the know, I am looking to change from my current career to teach elementary school.) If so, I'll just have to take it again later and figure out where to go from there.

Now, I'm back home and resting in bed watching Lifetime movies. The boyfriend went to the store while I was out and got me OJ and soup...and I picked up some more DayQuil and a thermometer. Hope y'all are having a great weekend...I'm waiting for crabcakes and football!

I hope you get better soon. Just got over being sick...it's the pitts :(

~Jan
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    So I just came upon this and actually just signed up here a few days ago. What's this black team challenge and is it still open to newcomers?? Thanks!!

Mandi
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    So I just came upon this and actually just signed up here a few days ago. What's this black team challenge and is it still open to newcomers?? Thanks!!

Mandi

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/74250-black-team-new-year-and-opening-to-new-members

That is the link to the opening of the Black Team this year and post #1 will explain to you what we are all about.
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    I would love to join!! My SW was 175. Is it too late??

Sure thing Roseanne!

Though we arent activley recruiting I would never close the door.

Welcome to the team. Feel free to post any questions, stories, information...anything at all!

Welcome!
    :flowerforyou:

And that is what Andrew said earlier today when somebody else asked the same thing.
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    I like having our food diaries open to others. It really makes me not be lazy about logging.... like the Black Team Logging Police might get me or something... but it's keeping me accountable to logging, which in turn keeps me accountable for my food.

I can't help but notice, I eat a LOT of food compared to some of you! At least it seems that way. LOL I stopped eating as much processed foods as I could, believe me, I used to because it was quick and easy. Much to my surprise, I've found eating whole, clean foods isn't any harder, just something different to get used to. I can eat a lot more clean stuff for my calories so I like it!

Everybody knows you can go in and customize your carbs/protein/fat raito? Right? It's a custom setting. The MFP reccomended amounts are fairly high in carbs and low in protein. I encourage you to do some reading and research to determine a good ratio for you.

Currently I am doing 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fats and am anal about sticking to those amounts- cause that's me. When I'm really logging and paying attention, I will eat based on hitting my numbers more than what I want to eat. I wanted a smoothie this afternoon, drank a protein shake instead, becasue it 'fit'.

Also, I've noticed some of you track sugar. I don't for one reason. The recommended daily allowance for sugar intake is vague. It refers to refined sugars and from the research I did, nobody can really agree on a number. Fruits are natural sugars and wouldn't be considered in that daily allowance, so they skew the sugar numbers and make it look like you blow your sugar amount out of the water. Just an observation and that's just me.

Anyway, I digress. All I wanted to say is 'woot' to Andrew for making us tell everybody what we eat. So Andrew. Good one. Woot, woot!

Edit: I re-read that and suddenly felt like I was saying others aren't doing it 'right'. I didn't mean that at all. I'm pretty passionate about doing things the best I can, hence why I do reading, research, etc. I want to know why I am doing what I'm doing, why it's best for me, and so on, not just because the computer told me to. I was just sharing what I've learned along the way, not telling anybody to do things differently! What's the saying, there is more than one way to skin a cat? (That's really a nasty saying by the way but I don't think it really means cats... off to google it....lol.) Off my soap box, promise!

Lori, can I please look at your food diary.
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,759 Member
    Options

Edit: I re-read that and suddenly felt like I was saying others aren't doing it 'right'. I didn't mean that at all. I'm pretty passionate about doing things the best I can, hence why I do reading, research, etc. I want to know why I am doing what I'm doing, why it's best for me, and so on, not just because the computer told me to. I was just sharing what I've learned along the way, not telling anybody to do things differently! What's the saying, there is more than one way to skin a cat? (That's really a nasty saying by the way but I don't think it really means cats... off to google it....lol.) Off my soap box, promise!

I didnt read it that way at all Lori.

I found myself thinking through a slice of pizza today because I would have to log it!! I LOVe the fact one of you all my see my cheat and call me out on it!

That my dear friend is accountability!! :smooched:

I'm glad it didn't come off that way. My family ate pizza. I thoguht and thought about it. I a small bite from the tip of one piece and then ate a bowl of raisin bran. I had enough calories for one slice but I knew I would still be hungry. Pizza doesn't stick with me long anyway, once slice would never cut it. Plus, the last time I ate that new Dominos pizza with all the garlic, I felt terrible afterward, most likely because I ate TOO much, but I kept reminding myself how I felt and didn't chance it.
  • 72lori
    Options

Lori, can I please look at your food diary.

For some reason we weren't friends, just sent the request. My food diary is boring, I said before I eat a lot of the same stuff. I wasn't kidding. Breakfast and snacks are pretty much the same daily. Lunches are often leftovers from the night before. Dinner, I'll do what the family eats for the most part and make a few changes for me. I do sweet potatoes, they do white potatoes, I'll eat broccoli, they'll eat corn, etc.

I have also been putting in the notes section for the day what my exercise was and the calories I burned. (I am adding 75% of them for eating, my way of accounting for calories I would have burned anyway even if I wasn't working out.)
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks Lori!

Okay I have a question for anybody!!

I have 100 calories left of my 1350 daily calories and 565 exercise calories left. I am not hungry, I mean sure I love to eat and can think of food that would taste good that is healthy, but do I eat just for calories or let the calories go today. Feel free to study my food diary if you want to. What you would do???

Editted to add: I just changed my carb, protein and fat percentages so my diary looks like I have been off of those things everyday but before I changed it it looked good!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    way too much sodium today-- bit of this dip, that dip and the other dip-- couple of these chips and those chips-- and ended with a sloppy Jo and 2/3 cup of ice cream-- spirit of full disclosure, here.

Good news-- I drank all my water, but with all the sodium, I'm due for a good SpongeMarla episode--

Not sure if I'll get out running-- way cold tonight, and all the TVs are taken by various asundry children-- we'll see, though-- hubs is making sounds of running, and I'd go if he goes.

other than that, I'm going to get my typing done and hit the hay-- all in all, calories weren't terrible, truly-- I didn't bother logging, but I know I didn't pig out-- but the sodium will be my downfall no doubt.

Fingers crossed that I can combat it tomorrow through Wednesday before weigh in--
  • tamelab
    tamelab Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    way too much sodium today-- bit of this dip, that dip and the other dip-- couple of these chips and those chips-- and ended with a sloppy Jo and 2/3 cup of ice cream-- spirit of full disclosure, here.

Good news-- I drank all my water, but with all the sodium, I'm due for a good SpongeMarla episode--

Not sure if I'll get out running-- way cold tonight, and all the TVs are taken by various asundry children-- we'll see, though-- hubs is making sounds of running, and I'd go if he goes.

other than that, I'm going to get my typing done and hit the hay-- all in all, calories weren't terrible, truly-- I didn't bother logging, but I know I didn't pig out-- but the sodium will be my downfall no doubt.

Fingers crossed that I can combat it tomorrow through Wednesday before weigh in--

Marla...Everyone else probably already knows this, but I'm new so I'll ask. Are you a medical transcriptionist? I saw where you have to go type. Just curious as that is what I do for a living.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Hey Tammy--

No, not medical transcriptionist-- but I am a home transcriber. I work for a company out of Manhattan. Our clients range from the television networks news programs (Dateline, Good Morning America, Today Show, et cetera) to financial companies like Morgan Stanley, and the like.

I've done some really fascinating stuff-- Barbra Streisand interview, Dustin Hoffman, Leo DiCaprio-- Mark Sanchez of the Jets-- to some real snoozers-- financial round table discussions, et cetera. Also a lot of political crud, and trial testimony for murder trials that are being profiled on some of the news programs--

All in all, a tremendous blessing since my husband's been unemployed for over a year. But, it's wearing on me due to the arthritis.
  • tamelab
    Options
    Hey Tammy--

No, not medical transcriptionist-- but I am a home transcriber. I work for a company out of Manhattan. Our clients range from the television networks news programs (Dateline, Good Morning America, Today Show, et cetera) to financial companies like Morgan Stanley, and the like.

I've done some really fascinating stuff-- Barbra Streisand interview, Dustin Hoffman, Leo DiCaprio-- Mark Sanchez of the Jets-- to some real snoozers-- financial round table discussions, et cetera. Also a lot of political crud, and trial testimony for murder trials that are being profiled on some of the news programs--

All in all, a tremendous blessing since my husband's been unemployed for over a year. But, it's wearing on me due to the arthritis.

That sounds way more interesting than typing medical reports all day long. I know what you mean about your hands. Some days it is all I can do to make it through and I don't suffer from arthritis (yet).
  • Marla64
    Options
    Hey Tammy--

That sounds way more interesting than typing medical reports all day long. I know what you mean about your hands. Some days it is all I can do to make it through and I don't suffer from arthritis (yet).

It is usually pretty interesting-- sometimes, like I said, total snoozeville. The job totally dropped in my lap a couple years ago-- my husband's friend had connections and suggested it to hubs back in 2006-- and we decided that it would be great for me to do as part-time extra income--

And now it's our lifeline-- go figure--
  • 72lori
    Options
    Marla- don't sweat one day, you didn't pig out, it shouldn't hurt too much in the end

Amanda- I won't eat just to eat, usuaully, especially late at night. A few days here and there not meeting your calorie goal isn't the end of the world, it's if you did it daily.

Just to share, he's a sight I love for the info: http://www.shapefit.com/training.html

I think I sent you to the page where they break down all the different body parts to work out and give you examples of exercises. Love it! There are also calcultors to calcuate lots of stuff. Videos, info, info, info. If you have time and interest, it's a good place to poke around for ideas.
  • tamelab
    Options
    Hey Tammy--

It is usually pretty interesting-- sometimes, like I said, total snoozeville. The job totally dropped in my lap a couple years ago-- my husband's friend had connections and suggested it to hubs back in 2006-- and we decided that it would be great for me to do as part-time extra income--

What a blessing for you and your family! I recently needed to add some extra income due to my husband's hours being cut and our teenager starting to drive. The national work I do is so difficult and the pay is a lot less so I didn't want to do anymore for them. I was at softball practice talking about how hard it was to find a job in my field and the lady I was throwing with said she had a friend who needed a transcriptionist. It has been a God send. The local work is much easier and pays so much more. I love being home for my family but still getting that check!
  • Marla64
    Options
    Hey Tammy--

What a blessing for you and your family! I recently needed to add some extra income due to my husband's hours being cut and our teenager starting to drive. The national work I do is so difficult and the pay is a lot less so I didn't want to do anymore for them. I was at softball practice talking about how hard it was to find a job in my field and the lady I was throwing with said she had a friend who needed a transcriptionist. It has been a God send. The local work is much easier and pays so much more. I love being home for my family but still getting that check!

Yepper-- not many things you can do in your bedroom and make money at-- legally, anyway-- :wink:
  • mumsanutter
    mumsanutter Posts: 3,067 Member
    Options
    Hi Black Team – Checking in before the big games J E T S JETS! Go Marla. I’ll be rooting for you. My brother is a diehard Jets fan and has been waiting many many many years:sad:

Andrew- Just finished watching that **** and Rick Hoyt utube video. Unbelievable and very inspirational. I was complaining this morning about the cold! Suck it up Donna!

Tammy- Great Story Do your boys get along? My boys are 15 and 12 and couldn’t be more different
    I am past making sure my kids are still breathing during the night..Is that a bad thing? I go to bed before they do..well not the 12 year old but the other 2.

Lori- I’m envious. I can’t sleep in anymore Sat is my get my workout in, get the housework done! It is my day not to bathe though yuck..dh can’t stand that but after a great workout I keep going with the housework and at the end of the day I’ll take a shower.

Jeanne- ok I need some education. A.Why didn’t you workout for a month? (probably missed that post) and how do you measure the calories burned in weight training?

Bobbi- I love your story. Congrats on being a grandma soon again. Thanks so much for sharing. And you look great in your Easter/wedding dress. My problem right now is keeping everyone straight…it is a big group.

Hi Tanya- Thanks for the welcome for us newbies Are you originally from the states that your husbands likes the Jets?

Rich- You can walk inside the school with the dogs?

Have a great night everyone! Just in case I don't check in later...which I know I will since right now I can't get enough:smile:

Hiya, no we are not originally from the states. Both UK born and bred, but Rob has spent alot of his working life in the states (NYC) and has some very good friends over there. We have both watched it over here since we were about 10.

Marla, thank you for the result. Rob managed to watch the game, it was being shown on Sky sports followed by the cowboys vs eaglesl, so the tv was on all night but Rob is very happy and already asking friends if he can go over and stay if they get into the final!

My day has started, ds2 is 10 today, and has come downstairs opened his new xbox game and disappeared back upstairs followed by the 2 little ones. He can be so good and will give them both the old xbox controllers to hold and play with so that they think they are playing as well. Will go out on the bike in a while so that i can come back in and warm up, it is so cold here at the moment in the negatives. Hope everyone has a good day
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Just stopping for a brief moment gotta go start the van to go to work....Hope everyone had a great Sat..Mine was alright a littlew slow at work due to the snow and ice everyone was afriad to get out...I weighed all my food last night, now just gotta go weigh my peanut butter and jelly for my sandwich.. Gonna eat a Grilled Chicken salad from work and then hit the gym after work. Tomorrow is my weigh in day...should be pretty good, I am feeling it. Been to the gym everyday this week even twice most days. well off I go have a even better Sunday..
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Just stopping for a brief moment gotta go start the van to go to work....Hope everyone had a great Sat..Mine was alright a littlew slow at work due to the snow and ice everyone was afriad to get out...I weighed all my food last night, now just gotta go weigh my peanut butter and jelly for my sandwich.. Gonna eat a Grilled Chicken salad from work and then hit the gym after work. Tomorrow is my weigh in day...should be pretty good, I am feeling it. Been to the gym everyday this week even twice most days. well off I go have a even better Sunday..

sounds like you are back on track Tam! WOOT! I am going to follow your lead for 1 week and select my food and weigh it in the morning,..............or the night before. This way I can get back full force!

Have a good day!! :heart:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hi Black Team – Checking in before the big games J E T S JETS! Go Marla. I’ll be rooting for you. My brother is a diehard Jets fan and has been waiting many many many years:sad:

Andrew- Just finished watching that **** and Rick Hoyt utube video. Unbelievable and very inspirational. I was complaining this morning about the cold! Suck it up Donna!

Tammy- Great Story Do your boys get along? My boys are 15 and 12 and couldn’t be more different
    I am past making sure my kids are still breathing during the night..Is that a bad thing? I go to bed before they do..well not the 12 year old but the other 2.

Lori- I’m envious. I can’t sleep in anymore Sat is my get my workout in, get the housework done! It is my day not to bathe though yuck..dh can’t stand that but after a great workout I keep going with the housework and at the end of the day I’ll take a shower.

Jeanne- ok I need some education. A.Why didn’t you workout for a month? (probably missed that post) and how do you measure the calories burned in weight training?

Bobbi- I love your story. Congrats on being a grandma soon again. Thanks so much for sharing. And you look great in your Easter/wedding dress. My problem right now is keeping everyone straight…it is a big group.

Hi Tanya- Thanks for the welcome for us newbies Are you originally from the states that your husbands likes the Jets?

Rich- You can walk inside the school with the dogs?

Have a great night everyone! Just in case I don't check in later...which I know I will since right now I can't get enough:smile:

Hiya, no we are not originally from the states. Both UK born and bred, but Rob has spent alot of his working life in the states (NYC) and has some very good friends over there. We have both watched it over here since we were about 10.

Marla, thank you for the result. Rob managed to watch the game, it was being shown on Sky sports followed by the cowboys vs eaglesl, so the tv was on all night but Rob is very happy and already asking friends if he can go over and stay if they get into the final!

My day has started, ds2 is 10 today, and has come downstairs opened his new xbox game and disappeared back upstairs followed by the 2 little ones. He can be so good and will give them both the old xbox controllers to hold and play with so that they think they are playing as well. Will go out on the bike in a while so that i can come back in and warm up, it is so cold here at the moment in the negatives. Hope everyone has a good day

Ahh, sounds like your son is a great kid! Glad hubs got to watch the game.