No Children - Lifestyle Choice

Options

Replies

• wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and the only time I've ever wanted kids is at Christmas time, because I can't stand a quiet house on Christmas morning.

Pretty sure that's not enough of a reason.

(I do sometimes get scared about what will happen in my old age. My fiance is now dealing with his elderly parents and it makes me really question how to deal with that as you get older and have no-one to take care of you except each other).
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's an overstatement to say that more people have children the shouldn't than the other way around.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am 40. I thought I wanted kids for a while in my early twenties, cried it out when I hit 24 (no idea why that age) and have never looked back. When I was in my late twenties, my mother used to bug me. At some point in my early thirties, she started in, stopped herself and said "well, I guess you can get married first." She hasn't said much on the subject since. It might help that she has six grand kids only two hours away.

We bought a boat last year.
    We drive 15 hours to see family, with only bathroom breaks.
    We like to sleep in.
  • RoseRoiz
    Options
    My husband and I waited 10 years before we had our babies, we were very young when we got married and we wanted for our children to have a nice life. I love my girls so much and I'd do anything for them. If people do not want to have kids then that is their choice, what ever makes them happy.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    You know what I think is weird? People who can't see your point of view on this.

For me, it's not optional. I will have children whether it be biologically or through adoption or both. By myself or married. But then, I have always felt a strong maternal desire. I think it's because I feel it so strongly that I can completely see how someone would feel JUST as strongly in the opposite direction. It makes perfect sense to me even though I don't feel that way myself. Basically, it's not hard to know intrinsically where you stand on this. Most people feel very strongly one way or the other and don't need "convincing." If you know, you know, as they say.

If you are happy with the way you have arranged your life, then who gives a rip what others think of it? Like I said, makes sense to me.
  • nostripewhite
    nostripewhite Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had absolutely no desire to have children whatsoever. I have two Nieces and a Nephew whom I adore. Then my girlfriend became pregnant, and the little ****er started kicking me from inside her stomach. I love the little man now, I live for him. Best thing that has ever, or will ever happen to me.

My Aunt keeps asking me how many more. None. Didn't want this one, but can't imagine a world without him. She doesn't understand.

I get where everyone is coming from. Children are wonderful things, but not for everyone. Turns out this little guy is for me.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I have kids but could absolutely see why someone wouldn't want kids ( maybe its because they are teenagers and I'm starting to wonder about my choice lol) I think not having kids if you dont want them to be a good and unselfish choice.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    I have 6, good for all of you that don't want kids. Don't get me wrong I adore my babies but my life is not my own nor will it ever be again. Enjoy they freedom.
  • BrokenAlice
    BrokenAlice Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Really happy to find this thread.

I'm childfree - sterilized! - 38 years old and HAPPY! Would love to have more friends on MFP who are childfree. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I used MFP a lot last year and had some great success. I took a bit of a hiatus and a bunch of my "friends" have gone. Would love some new supporters and meet more like-minded people

Alice
  • girlygirl761
    girlygirl761 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 36 and childfree and I really hate when people tell me that I'll regret it one day. Isn't it better to regret NOT having children than to HAVE them and regret it?
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    My husband never had biological children of his own. It was his choice. He had been married previously, and he didn't want to have kids with her. By the time we got together, he was already what he felt too old, plus I already had two small kids and neither of us wanted to "start all over again". I think some people are just not meant to have kids, and there is NOTHING wrong with that. I thank my lucky stars he was smart enough not to have children with his ex ( well any of them but specifically his ex wife ). It's hard enough with my ex in the picture, and I couldn't imagine adding another. I really am hoping that he will go get a vasectomy asap. Happy birthday to me!
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    My husband and I do not plan on having kids. Yes my mother is disapointed, as is his mother but they don't have to raise them. I thought it was a phase that once I was 30 I would want them. Now I'm 34 and married, and the idea of having children is just not appealing.

Don't get me wrong, almost all of my friends have children and I am even planning two baby showers in the next three months. I love kids, just not for me. My life plan has hopefully a nice upward swing to my career in the next few years.
  • InsaneShalaine
    Options
    I hate kids too.
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I am only 28.. but I am on the fence about having kids.. I always have been... I have my days that I think maybe i want them, and I have my days where I don't. Not sure if it will ever happen for me, but the fact that I am so wishy-washy about it tells me I am definitely not ready for it right now. Who knows what will happen.. but I definitely think you can be happy and live a fulfilled life with no kids :)
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I have a cousin that chose not to have children, she is 40ish and very happy with her choice. Parenting is extremely hard and I never wanted to do it. But I did change over time and decided to start a family with my husband. But I will admit that I find it to be the most difficult thing to do. I love my children and would die for them but I struggle with being a great parent and teaching all that they need to flourish in life. I sometimes think if I made the right decision and would I have been better off. Both my sons have developmental delays and I sometimes feel like its more than I can handle.

So I guess no it's not selfish to not have children, do what's right for you.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    So nice not to feel alone!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I think ill be stating the extremely obvious here but.....

WHO CARES?! don't have kids if you don't wanna have kids. F*** what people think, there will always be haters. It's not for everyone. Neither is cooking, or soccer. Or cocaine. Whatever.

Certain types of people on this planet shouldn't even be allowed to reproduce. But hey thats my opinion
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    I always love it when your "friends" ask, "who's gonna take care of you when you are old?" Talk about selfish? Just Say'n.
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm 31 and I still do not want children. People keep saying that I will change my mind and haven't yet.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and child free by choice. I always joke that my biological clock needs batteries.